FPS question/System requirement of running smoothly

JimmyPau

Okay, I've been having this problem for a pretty long time now, I have a GPU GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, and a CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, on 64-bit Cilent, with bns buddy, but I can barely get over 40 fps. I have average fps of 1 - 23 (25 is the highest in average), I have done everything I could, I search up how to have better fps on this game everywhere, but I just can't get it over 30, so I need a answer: Is it just my computer unable to run this game, or it's something else? I highly doubt it's my computer because sometimes for some weird reason my game will randomly run over 40 - 50 fps in a few seconds, around 10 seconds, then turning back to 20 fps again, which means that my computer is actually able to run the game smoothly, but just don't want to. I really, really hate this low fps issue because bns require at least some amount of reaction speed and timing, while lagging makes things worse and I've been experiencing time to time where I can't do anything in combat because of the lagging. So I just want an answer of how much or the least requirement for this game to run smoothly, please.

The problem is your video card that has only 2 GB memory or computer if it has than 8 GB or less..

when you first start &   in small areas or less people, you will get higher FPS..
but
what  happens is that during certain dungeons/raids & as you play, more players/mobs/areas load up & fill up your video memory.. once it's full, it will lag as it resorts to slower system memory instead of much faster video memory.. thus requiring a reboot to clear your memory out due to Unreal Engine's memory leaks (both in the video card as well as system memory)

also, the 860 cards were mid-range when they came out but sadly are outdated now but you can upgrade to Nvidia 1060 GTX series for $229+

All newer video cards have at least 3 to 4 GB of memory .. see below

Using HardWare info monitor while playing Blade & Soul 64-bit at max graphics settting at 1920x1080p,

it shows that Blade & Soul 64-bit is using constantly

~3 GB of VIDEO MEMORY

&
the Blade&Soul client uses 4 GB of system memory
but 

total system memory usage is 12 GB while running Windows 10 & Chrome/Internet Explorer in the background 

--helpful post from related thread:

I play max graphics  & get a rock solid 60-120+ FPS during raids set to 1920x1080p hooked up to my HDTV for the past 2 years on a $1,200 gaming laptop with a i7 Intel processor & Nvidia Geforce 980M GTX  but you can find equivalent Nvidia Geforce 1060 GTX video cards for $229+
&

and gaming laptops with equivalent Nvidia Geforce 1060 GTX cards start at $899 at Microcenter as well as at the Hot Deals forum at SlickDeals  (just google it for site address) as well as on Ebay

Various gaming review test sites like TomsHardware, Anandtech, etc show that Unreal Engine games like Blade & Soul perform better on Nvidia Geforce GTX based video cards than other video cards (AMD, Intel, etc)

also, If you can afford the Geforce 1070 cards or higher, that'll be even better ..

the higher the number of the last 2 digits, the better the card (and the price)  for THAT GENERATION .. avoid any video card ending in 50 or below

of current generation cards, just get at least a Nvidia 1060 GTX cards (avoid the much lower performing 1050 series & lower cards or anything ending in 50 or below --repeating because it's very important despite all the marketing fluff aimed at selling lower tier cards 1050, 950, etc & lower ) .. 

the  Nvidia 10 series is the current generation (the 1060 GTX is mininum for great game performance),

the Nvidia 9 series (like my 980 GTX) is last generation ...you can still find 980 GTX (which were the fastest cards last generation)
 but
the current generation 1060 replaces them & now equal them in performance & are much less expensive

the Nvidia 20 series (like the 2060 & higher coming out next month's is the new generation but more than twice the price)

you can try to run at a lower resolution (1280x720 or 1366x768) to get higher FPS

otherwise, most laptops don't have upgradeable graphics except for the top-of-the-line MSI & Alienware gaming laptops (I have an upgradeable graphics MSI GT series Dominator Pro --you can find them on Ebay for $1,200+

use search function for  'gaming laptop' with Nvidia 1060 video cards for $800+ on SlickDeals in the Hot Deals forum https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?childforums=1&q=gaming+laptop&quicksearch=1&s=

3 hours ago, JiuJitsuBuddha said:

you can try to run at a lower resolution (1280x720 or 1366x768) to get higher FPS

otherwise, most laptops don't have upgradeable graphics except for the top-of-the-line MSI & Alienware gaming laptops (I have an upgradeable graphics MSI GT series Dominator Pro --you can find them on Ebay for $1,200+

use search function for  'gaming laptop' with Nvidia 1060 video cards for $800+ on SlickDeals in the Hot Deals forum https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?childforums=1&q=gaming+laptop&quicksearch=1&s=

I have a GTX 1060 8GB and I can't play this game with maximum quality and 60FPS.

6 hours ago, Ketsura said:

I have a GTX 1060 8GB and I can't play this game with maximum quality and 60FPS.

1060 8gb? That exists? I think it's only 1060 3gb and 6gb. 

26 minutes ago, JimmyPau said:

Over 90C lol, every single time I play bns it will get over 90, sometimes to around I think 94 to 95.

That's way too much, that's alot lol

My cpu reaches 60°C and my gpu about 65°C, 90+ is way too much, buy a cooler pad for your laptop.. 

Then I'll put my ideas here of why you're capped OR having bad performance.

Try Clearing your FTH Entries in Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FTH\State (All client.exe within this subkey)

Fix your NVIDIA gaming profile -> you can ignore reshade part. (

)

8700k, 5.3ghz
16GB ram (ddr4 3000mhz)
GTX 1060 6GB
850 pro SSD with backup of a 960 evo nvme as cachedisk...
Temps:
CPU ingame: +/- 50degree.
GPU ingame: +/- 60 degree
Still laggy... it seems like the ping affects it though... and bnsbuddy shows spikes up to 3000 on EU server for me... other servers are just fine... no vpn helps either.
It's just annoying trying to play this game always trying to fix your fps or ping... an endless struggle :/

3QMWxGl.jpg

I think I figure out what's the problem, I was checking my fps and my task manager at the same time and saw something weird: My cpu was at 83% when my bns were at 60 or higher fps, while when I was lagging, it's using only around 16% of my cpu, so what it means is, my bns isn't using as much cpu as I wanted it to be, and I have no idea why. I want it to keep using my cpu as much as it can use because all I want is to play the ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ game.

The game is generally considered to be more CPU dependant, than it is dependant on your graphics card. Although what may be changing the values you're looking at is that when it is not the active program/window, that is while you for instance alt tabbed to your monitoring program, B&S will run at reduced settings, for instance I have it cap at 10 FPS in that state, which of course means it will reduce the demands it puts on my system.

I find how much RAM you have, as JiuJitsuBuddha talked about, tends to make a big impact on the game. Then the game as a whole performs poorly, and seems to be finicky about what it will run well on, as it seems to conflict with various things that could cause it to run worse for one person, than it does for another with an objectively weaker system in some cases. That makes discussing what the game needs, to run well, rather difficult.

Are you using "use all cores" from bnsbuddy?
This only makes things worse, since the game just isn't optimized for multi core... it will increase your cpu usage, but with little or no increase in fps cause the game just doesn't know how to use them properly..
If it was that easy to get multi core to work they would have just added it to the ncsoft launcher

And the xigncode stuff is normal..

On 8/23/2018 at 3:44 AM, Ketsura said:

Its because this game relies heavily on the CPU not GPU. You can have 1080Ti but if your processor is garbage you wont get more than 40 FPS.

1 hour ago, JimmyPau said:

Which mean it's not because I can't run bns on my computer, it's because bns don't want to use my cpu, like, at all. I just tested it further more and realize 99% of the time my cpu is at 20% or lower.

You could check the following:

Under Control Panel -> power options, try to set it to maximum performance, also in the advanced settings. Then you can try looking into CPU unparking (this is a registry tweak). Processors can get throttled at for example 80% of their power, you can try turning that off so your processor will fully utilize its 100%.

Add the game folder as exception to windows defender.

Turn off FTH (you need to google it)

If ur cpu reaches 90° it rescues the cpu from near death by reducing it,s max power. That is the moment ur fps drops randomly after few sec. 

A while later temp has gone down again cpu gets power back fps go up for few sec .. overheat again .. cpu hits break aaaand .. fps drops back down ...

Those problems also happening in every single loadingscreen and at boss phase changes i guess ;)

So u can do as much ccleaner scans, bluetooth deinstalations (?) and graphic card upgrades as u want, it wont help.

Just visit ur local worldwide onlineseller and invest 5€ in a cooling pad hoping it cooles atleast enough to hold the cpu in semi acceptable temperatures. 

After that there is mostlikely only the way to a tower PC or some rly experimental laptop cooling methods :S

If you have Windows 10, I highly recommend disabling Game DVR if you have no plans to do any screen recording using Windows' built in game bar. Although you can disable Windows game bar in your settings (I also highly recommend doing this since the thing is nothing but bloatware) this will not completely disable all aspects of it, and some will still run unless you make some minor edits to the registry.

Instructions for disabling game DVR:

1. Press Windows key + R to bring up the Run dialog.

2. Type “regedit” in the text box and hit Enter.

3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\ApplicationManagement\AllowGameDVR

4. Double-click the value and set the Value data to 0.

5. Reboot your PC

Although this is by no means a perfect fix, I found that it helped with some of the annoying FPS drops caused by windows update 1803, which compromised a lot of gamers (especially those with nvdia cards) I find I am able to get higher FPS for longer periods of time with only minor drops. (I have an Nvdia 1070 with 18gb and a core i7, the game used to run perfectly until windows did the creators update, and I've been having problems with each update ever since)

Archived