I'm from Canada, and my ping is terrible?

Poofcat

Hi all, I'm from Toronto and am just getting back into the game. At first I thought the reason I was getting hit so much was being unfamiliar with the gameplay, or the controls were different than I remembered. Then I started to realize the noticeable lags after I'd hit buttons and turned on the ping monitor only to see I'm landing at 120 if I'm VERY lucky, but usually between 160-200.

I can't find any info from 2018 on server location but the older info I'm finding says Dallas, so I tried pinging some Dallas servers on Speedtest. I got between 49-55ms, so I'm stumped.  I know most MMO NA servers are in the USA so ping won't always be optimal, but this is the first game where I'm having this much of an issue while being in the appropriate service region. Why is BNS so high? I have very good internet speed, so that shouldn't be the issue...

Hey. I'm in the North part of T.O. near Vaughan and Markham. I'm with a smaller isp that leases from Bell's DSL network. I'm supposed to be getting 25/25 but my upstream has never been faster than 6. My downstream is pretty much what I'm supposed to get. When I first started playing, which was Dec, '16, I used to always get around 100ms. It's gotten steadily worse since then. During the day I'm averaging 120-150 with an occasional spike up to the 170's. If I'm playing around 3am I find my ping is at 85-110. From what I've read, ping issues are due to NC's servers and not so much your internet connection. As long as ping remains under 150 I find the game is still easily playable. There's a guy on youtube, Keroppi, who plays from China and has like 300 ping and he seems to get on fine on NA servers so I'm not sure your problem can all be blamed on ping?

I tried Dallas servers with Speedtest and I get similar results as you too.

Only thing I've seen suggested is to try one of the programs like pingzapper or wtfast. Maybe launching with BNSbuddy could help?

Archived