Gun, pseudo tank?

Baalberi7h

If u are in party and don't have any class  with passive aggro (treat) like BM or KFM so class which give more dmg to mobs or bosses got aggro/treat by dmg. If have BM/KFM with treat spec u just need wait fight start and try not burst on 1st sec or more dmg bypass treat spec, its like this in lot of mmos (in aion templar and gladiator have to use specific skills to pull aggro from mobs/bosses because all dps classes got aggro by dmg)

It doesn't mean gunners have much in the way of defense -- especially passive defense.  In most cases, if you are fighting a

high enough lvl boss, and they stun you or knock you back, etc....if you have any delay getting up...you are likely to start losing hits fast.

In fact, have a gunner tank and have the low-level kids who can't do mechs while gunner is tanking,  leave the party because the gunner keeps getting stomped and can't get a shot off sideways, then watch the gunner die cuz they can't get a shot off.  Moral -- if gunner, don't go with party that is too low lvl unless you can mostly solo that dungeon (or 2-woman it).

So for low enough lvl bosses...yeah, but then the party is likely going to be losing your strong point -- DPS.

@Astarae Doing mechs with tank gunner might not be such a big deal if gunner isn't an absolute joke of a tank that relies on odd dodges that make the boss change location and turn around all the time. If anything the party as a whole loses more dps from having to deal with the extra hassle than when there's a tank with the necessary skill set to actually tank stuff.

Could be...If I'm thrown into a situation of tanking and boss is on top of me pummeling me to where I can't shoot -- and lose my only method of survival, I will indeed attempt to avoid death.  I'm sure that's a joke to you, but I have never considered a gunner to be a tank under normal circumstances, let alone under a joke implementation where the gunner has no defense and must keep up a constant

bullet barrage to survive.  I did mention that the party was going to be losing a fair amount of DPS by having someone with no

defense and that needs to keep clear enough of the boss to keep shooting.  In any normal game, if you stand still, you get hit and get killed. 

Perhaps you want to share your secret for standing still and not getting knocked down or damaged?  A video of you doing that would be great as a gunner, of course.

And please explain what fire-gunner abilities you are using as a voice-over commentary -- as I don't recall ever seeing something so helpful.

It is viable. If you can tank certain dungeons that a good point for you, and you can always fill in in case you wont have a proper tank, but for certain dungeons people still might prefer an actual tank.

11 hours ago, Astarae said:

1. Could be...If I'm thrown into a situation of tanking and boss is on top of me pummeling me to where I can't shoot -- and lose my only method of survival, I will indeed attempt to avoid death.  I'm sure that's a joke to you, but I have never considered a gunner to be a tank under normal circumstances, let alone under a joke implementation where the gunner has no defense and must keep up a constant bullet barrage to survive. 

2. I did mention that the party was going to be losing a fair amount of DPS by having someone with no defense and that needs to keep clear enough of the boss to keep shooting.  In any normal game, if you stand still, you get hit and get killed. 

3. Perhaps you want to share your secret for standing still and not getting knocked down or damaged?  A video of you doing that would be great as a gunner, of course.

4. And please explain what fire-gunner abilities you are using as a voice-over commentary -- as I don't recall ever seeing something so helpful.

1. That's why gunner is an absolute joke of a tank. It's not made for tanking and naturally it sux at it. And yes I don't consider it a tank even when it gets aggro on purpose;

2. I don't mean that you as a party lose your dps as a gunner. Everybody that's not you has to deal with the mess that will inevitably ensue, especially the melees. Whatever dps they have with a regular tank gets sliced with a gunner tanking. Unsurprisingly melee means short reach and it keeps that meaning at all times;

3-4. Who said anything about any gunner being able to do that? Gunners do not have the capacity to lock a boss into position. I'm not arguing that it can do it, just confirming that it can't and I've tried. No matter how I slice this pie, the iframes will fall short at one point or another if the point of the tanking is to actually tank the boss and not just to keep it's aggro. Just keeping aggro is obviously not that hard, but when lacking regen and blocking capabilities of kfm/bms, it's a greater effort on your part, not to mention that as fire gunner (the flavor I absolutely despise for a variety of reasons) you have to give up your tomb's damage pretty much entirely;

I see, I misunderstood your post.... given what you just said, I would tend to agree as it mirrors my experience when I've been forced into the role.  Some of the people in my clan, however would disagree -- but they seem to mostly be 2+yr exp, advanced players who've played nearly all the types.  One says he can tank on anything and learned on a gunner because it was the hardest to tank with.  So that's sorta agreeing that it is a joke, but that a high enough level player might be able to compensate for a bugged class (w/r/t tanking, anyway, among other areas).

But even the anime and cut scene show how bugged the class is -- w/the gunner-girl and jewel fighting it out... many times the action happens in the air where they can keep on shooting -- whereas in this game, there is this totally broken mechanic that being in the air terminates all ability to do anything -- only can do something when you are on a surface -- surface including a a skystone that looks like a gun-turret platform when you are allowed to do anything on it. 

Of all the classes, a gunner should be able to respond multiple shots when they are launched into the air the fastest -- cuz, if the gun is still in your hand, you then being in the air doesn't mean you can't pull the trigger -- accuracy may be down, but high enough lvl gunners shouldn't be affected as much by that.  Almost any recent game that I've played where player is in the air -- has little or no penalty for shooting from the air.  In some games, shooting while airborne is a way to propel yourself. 

Conversely, it's hard to swing nearly any weapon (including yourself) with force if you don't have a firm ground to push against. 

For the sniper shot -- you don't stand when taking a sniper shot -- target markmanship, yes, but only an idiot would stand while taking

a shot -- it makes them an easy target -- just like some TV shows where the shooter steps out full frontal to take a shot...idiots.  In BnS, you try to take cover and the cover will often block you even when there's a straight line for the gun.  It seems they base their blocking on your full body being in the open and available for getting shot/hit.  No one does that -- but its even less realistic for a gunner.

Why not replace guns with sling-shots -- as those have restrictions more along the lines of what are placed on gunners -- except when they use some magically enhanced ability.

On 4.7.2018 at 12:06 AM, Astarae said:

Could be...If I'm thrown into a situation of tanking and boss is on top of me pummeling me to where I can't shoot -- and lose my only method of survival, I will indeed attempt to avoid death.  I'm sure that's a joke to you, but I have never considered a gunner to be a tank under normal circumstances, let alone under a joke implementation where the gunner has no defense and must keep up a constant

bullet barrage to survive.  I did mention that the party was going to be losing a fair amount of DPS by having someone with no

defense and that needs to keep clear enough of the boss to keep shooting.  In any normal game, if you stand still, you get hit and get killed. 

Perhaps you want to share your secret for standing still and not getting knocked down or damaged?  A video of you doing that would be great as a gunner, of course.

And please explain what fire-gunner abilities you are using as a voice-over commentary -- as I don't recall ever seeing something so helpful.

Gunner has no defense...? Gunner has a block skill and plenty of iframes and most attacks from bosses can just be facetanked or sidestepped. Any normal dungeon boss can be tanked by any class.

Any dungeon can be tanked by anything as long as he is geared.

BT is also easy to tank as gunner if you got good alliance.

You'll only need propper tank for vt, tt. :)

Archived