The raven king's ferocity has waned

SkyStorm

Yes, his ferocity has diminished overnight. You could get a glimpse of his ferocity yesterday in the marketplace for only 50g, and there was an abundance of it. Those unfortunate enough to have missed out on this historic event can still get an eye full for the mere price of 200g, but don't wait, as the supply is limited (as in only one on the yura marketplace).

And I thought I was gonna upgrade my gunner's weapon today. Silly me.

1 hour ago, Cor said:

The point of this thread is what exactly? To tell us that marketprices do change...?

No, rather to indicate that some players are abusing the market buying cheap and and selling back many times the initial price, making it harder/if not impossible for many to take advantage of the upgrade event.

One of the best (read worst) examples on how some players can abuse events effectively destroying the enjoyment of many others.

Its called economical manipulation. Even in rl ppl do buy stuf cheaper and then resel them to for higher price. Its nothing new on other games as well and some ppl spend their time looking for such cheap and demanding items.However this kind of reseling have a big risk if ppl wont buy for that higher price. Especialy when we can check price history and see that not long ago price was way lower and now its higher and actualy buys it without waiting a bit thats prety much on them and thata the reason some ppl are using this to get free gold. Also its not abusing you can do it on every game with in game economy and ita the part of every economy game and rl.

1 hour ago, MantisxD said:

Also its not abusing you can do it on every game with in game economy and ita the part of every economy game and rl.

It abuses other players. This is just the typical bns mindset - every man for himself and screw you and your effort to get ahead in the game.

Maybe if me and my clan had enough gold collectively to buy out the market and resell it at exorbitant prices we'd do so too. Then again, we might want to set our selfish impulses aside and let others enjoy the game as well. Maybe we'd buy out the market and philanthropically sell it back at half price because we're broad-minded enough to see that erecting roadblocks directed at other players is a crappy thing to do.

I started this topic as a rant about price gouging in the marketplace, but figured I'd be thrashed for calling normal market fluctuations a conspiracy.  And someone always comes back with "it's always been that way," which is profoundly stupid but whatever...If on the last day of the event the price hasn't dropped I'll pay the higher price. Until then I hope whoever is doing this crap is rewarded with paying listing fees for unsold items.

Problem is, without price fixing these issues will always exists, irl as in virtual markets. And you really dont want price fixing, especially not by a overseer such as nosoft who couldnt give less of a ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤.

1 hour ago, Granger said:

Problem is, without price fixing these issues will always exists

Price fixing is not the only solution. Regulatory mechanisms exist in non-virtual economies to modify economic behaviors to help prevent abuses such as monopolies and to avert economic collapse. A rule that prevents a player from selling items at 4X the item's average price over the last 3 months, for example,  would not be that hard to implement and would protect the economy and players from large price fluctuations.

This is an oversimplification on my part and I'm not an economist (don't want to be - hated the subject in school), so take it for what it's worth. 

The moment they said "upgrade event incoming" your first goal should have been to grab that specific material then.

The community in game brags about scalping the market all the time.

Take it as a lesson learned, float around the market until you see a reasonable price again.

6 hours ago, asot said:

No, rather to indicate that some players are abusing the market buying cheap and and selling back many times the initial price, making it harder/if not impossible for many to take advantage of the upgrade event.

One of the best (read worst) examples on how some players can abuse events effectively destroying the enjoyment of many others.

I can list main things that happen to it.
Pet Pods
PTS
Oils
yep.

2 hours ago, Corvenir said:

The moment they said "upgrade event incoming" your first goal should have been to grab that specific material then.

The community in game brags about scalping the market all the time.

Take it as a lesson learned, float around the market until you see a reasonable price again.

Yes, because this event is aimed at players who have been playing the game for a long time, have all the gold they need and know exactly what to do.

Oh wait...

The ignorance is astounding.

10 hours ago, asot said:

/facepalm

That's not abuse that's being smart.

No need to be rude man,

(Ain't no one got time for a negative Nancy prancing about trolling the forums)

Even before I got my legendary weapon for the first time I explored the weapons' path looking at what i needed and looked around the market to get an idea of prices.

"You need materials to upgrade this weapon, this weapon is called baleful, to eventually change it's name to raven you need raven Kings "whatever" and souls"

If you call yourself a gamer and you can't think even one move ahead of your current situation that's your own fault.

Seriously can't even comment with someone going full butthurt and throwing out insults. 

13 hours ago, SkyStorm said:

Yes, if you consider price gouging to be smart. I call it being a selfish asshat, but that's just me.

Everyone want's to upgrade to raven now that the prices go up is normal whether or not somebody does that.

1 hour ago, Cor said:

Everyone want's to upgrade to raven now that the prices go up is normal whether or not somebody does that.

It's not normal. Depending upon your class, you either need an animus or a ferocity to get to raven 3. I upgraded my BM's weapon with an animus that I bought from the marketplace for 55g two days ago. The price as I write this is 55g - it hasn't changed, and in fact has gone down a little over the past week.

I've got no problem with paying a fair market price. I've got no problem with someone buying low and reselling at a higher price - I've done it myself on occasion. When that price becomes unreasonable, it's not a matter of fluctuating market prices, or of supply and demand, it's price gouging and tantamount to extortion. 

You can tell me that it's all just a part of playing the game, but if you're definition of the game includes screwing over other players, count me out - I'm here for the pve, not pvp in the marketplace. Call me stupid for expecting sportsmanlike conduct from my fellow players. Losing a boxing match because you were outboxed is all part of the game of boxing; losing a match because you're opponent pulled a Mike Tyson and bit your ears off is not. 

I market manipulate because it is a basic part of MMOs and a little notation can equal alot of gold. This is part of my enjoyment of the game, and it is a bit of control i can have and abuse, and so can anyone else. The market itself is a game, and if you're bad at it, that is really your own fault. Stop being bad, stop being poor(in game)

You can play the market without milking other players. If that's what you actually enjoy,  good for you. I'm not a sociopath and I won't abuse the market and other players to get my jollies.

I was/am filthy rich in gw2 and I got there via the marketplace, but I never had to, or wanted to, abuse it. I bought gear at low prices and sold it at reasonable prices.

I find it hard to comprehend the magnitude of greed that exists in this game. I quit for a year and came back just to finish the story, and I guess it will end when this event is over. I have no desire to engage in the pettiness that permeates this game.

Agree with you wholeheartedly op. The worst thing about this game isn't the grind, it's the community going out of their way to prevent others from gearing up and catching up. The mindset of this community to always find a way to screw over a fellow player is beyond me.

Archived