Bm pvp

i wanna die

Hi, im a lightning bm but im having a hard time in arena especially 3v3. Could you give me some tips and tricks that i could use against other class or tell me what their weak sides are? Maybe some combos? All help would be appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 3:32 AM, i wanna die said:

Hi, im a lightning bm but im having a hard time in arena especially 3v3. Could you give me some tips and tricks that i could use against other class or tell me what their weak sides are? Maybe some combos? All help would be appreciated :)

Assassin: Don't give them free stealth, perma block while they're in stealth, if they get close use knockback V, if they ss in stealth it means they will soon teleport behind you and stun you, this is when you ss too and preemptively use anklebiter, or block behind you, if they're in stealth and doesn't get close or ss they will most likely appear behind you out of stealth just to slam the ground half a second later, stunning you, this is blockable if you turn around quick enough, or you can use tab daze, V knockback or anklebiter to catch them within that 0,5 second window.

Blade Dancer: their only way to burst you down quick is with lightning draw, only use tab escape when they use this skill, it has the same cooldown as your tab escape. when spinning they are immune to stuns and dazes, but nothing else, use Z pull, knockdowns or knockback to handle them. also iframe their soaring falcon as it pierces defense and gives them a ton of focus recovery and lets them start a combo on you easily. Try to keep distance from the bd, they have a defence piercing pull that dazes you, it's got an 8m range and it's their only way to catch you except for their grab, defence break -> quick engage and soaring falcon. also if they use drain on you while you're grabbed and then airial you, if they end the airial with aa lightning draw tab instantly, drain disables your groundd counter and they will almost always be ready to tech chase your f roll.

Kung fu master:  don't hit into their counter, it gives them free iframes, if they get close they will use a strafing ability that gives them a very long iframe, if you hit into this iframe it gives them a higher chance to evade future abilities from you. keep your distance and always block, while blocking however, spam your e/q, if they use their jump which aerials you and pierces defense their hitbox is right next to you while they're in the jump animation and you can strafe on them while they're mid-jump. when stunlocked by a kfm, wait until they use their seering palm and trigger all 8 hits before you tab escape. if they ss while you're in the air they're either going to ground game you with their tiger pounce (kd dash) or jump and aerial you, best thing to do if they ss while you're falling down is to do nothing, if they start their jump animation f roll, if they tiger pounce, mind game them with get up attack or ground counter.

Force Master: This is a tricky matchup, force masters have 2 tab escapes and lot of immunity, you generally wanna kill these guys slowly, don't rely on a full stunlock to ever work against them. their grab reaches very far and enables their combo pretty much guaranteed, when you get grabbed instantly press 2, if nothing happens use your V to get out of it. while using your block against a force master they will either try to grab you or use a defense disabling skill on you, be ready to counter both, the defense disable does nothing if you're not currently blocking, or if you iframe it.

Destroyer: similar to BD. Has two tab escapes if they spec it if they are standing on burning ground it means they are immune to all ccs, if you try to pull them with your z they will be pulled but not stunned (unless you time it perfectly) best thing to do is to keep your distance above 16m and wait it out. they have one way to engage on you from far away while you're perma blocking and that way can be counters by simply spamming e/q while blocking, it's a jump similar to kfms tab jump except it dazes instead. if they get close however they can either grab you or knock you back with red spin. their grab only works on stunned/dazed targets or on targets that are using blocks. they also have a block which they can remove at any time in order to get 5 second immunity, a lower cool-down version of this immunity requires you to hit them within ~3 seconds after they break their shield, this is the one they usually spec.

Summoner: This is a matchup you will learn with time. you can either opt to burst their cat while you have your immunity (block + F) or you can opt to simply outplay them, waste their tab and then pull them and kill them, they are very squishy. If they shout a battlecry and put a flower on you they are most likely going to disable your defense, the defense disable is an aoe they put on the ground which keeps disabling your defense for 1 second while you're standing in it. this skill can only be used on targets with the flower or after you trigger their stealth.  also use the projectile protecting skill which your V enables, forget which key it's on, while this is active the only thing they can do to stop you killing their cat is their 2, which is a linear skillshot that can knock you down, it looks like two roots in the ground. if they have used this they cannot do anything to stop you from killing their cat if you're properly stunlocking the cat since that is the only non cat hard cc they have. note that cat can grapple you while you're ccd or while you're blocking, watch out for that.

Warlock: don't hit into their block, it's like your block but better. if their thrall creates a yellow aura around it take distance and wait for it to be over, if the wl stands in that skill most of their cooldowns will be refreshed including their escape and all their ccs. Their thrall can dash to you from a distance greater than 16m and stun you, you're not safe even if you're far away. the only thing they can realistically do that can pierce your block is their leech which they can only use if you're "branded" branded is applied by their "wingstorm" which is those 3 projectile thingies that they cannot control the timing of. bursting thrall is usually not a viable option, you just have to live with him being there, you cannot cc the thrall either. warlocks will only ever kill you through aerials. I believe your projectile protection shroud follow you into the air so if you have that active, don't use your tab. if they put a yellow chain circle on the ground they are either immune to stuns, knockdowns and dazes or they're untargetable, determine which one they spec first time they use it and counter accordingly. last time I check none of them makes them immune to knockback so that can work, and if they're untargetable you can also use knockback, don't use anklebiter though since they cn still use their frontal block while in this shround, another viable strat is to take distance and wait the shroud out the shrouds cooldown will not be reset with time distortion (the yellow aura around thrall).

Soul fighter: soul fighters only have one skill that can deal with your perma block from range, which they can only use if they're in melee stance, they will dash to you and daze/kd you. with good ping you can perma block and spam e/q and you will strafe while they're in the animation of that skill. when they're close however they have 2 more skills, both aoes around them. one can stun/knockback/knockdown, the other one dazes. The appropriate time to use your tab escape against a soul fighter is right when they use frost storm/king fist. you can tell when they are going to use it because the skill that enables it makes a very distinct noise. apart from their frost storm/king fist soul fighters will generally rely on aerials to kill you, once again projectile protection helps a lot. They will use an hp buff which puts their max hp at 69k and lets them tank a lot of damage for a while, unless you think the game will go long it's a bad idea to start a combo when they use this, unless you're comfortable you can deal 69k in one combo.

Gunner:  This matchup probably doesn't require an explanation. one trick they will often use is they will stun you instantly when you load into the game, therefor you want to start the match off by using block. constantly keep track of the amount of wires they have (you can see the icon under their healthbar). If they use tombstone it's time to either use your immunity or engage on them, but tombstone gives them immunity for 1.5-2 seconds I think, forgot the duration. once again projectile protection is good to have in this matchup.

everything else is up to you, if you really are dedicated to learning how to pvp I recommend playing some of the classes you struggle against to see what they do, also learn what a tech chase is and how your class can preform them. also learn how your class's 100-0 stunlock combo works.

I may have missed some stuff, and perhaps some facts and outdated, I don't actually play all classes but most of it should be up to date and accurate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay quick update for those who replied to my post- i am now 1514 rank in arena (still silver).. every class feels superior to bm except when i go bm vs bm. I need some combos please or secret bm secret and tricks. Also i am super utterly horrible at predicting my opponents and i dont know how to fix it.

13 hours ago, i wanna die said:

Also i am super utterly horrible at predicting my opponents and i dont know how to fix it.

Well, that's just it. Success in the arena depends heavily on how good you can read your opponent. So get better at reading them. Especially when playing BM, as they have many disadvantages compared to most other classes.

Well, if you really didn't find out yourself by now, here's a devastating combo that 100-0's all classes without Stun-Escape (except Warden, but even those will be close to death):

Best executed from an aerial, don't use a second air combo skill, wait until the enemy is about to go back down but before crashing on the ground for a sure hit -> HM-Z -> Z -> 4 -> 3x RMB -> LMB -> 2x RMB-LMB -> C -> 2x RMB-LMB. Obviously Spec your HM-Z and LMB to Stun for this.

Before you can use that however, you first must rid your opponents of their stun escapes first. There are various way to do that, but since most classes have different ways of protecting themselves against or break out of CCs, you need to learn how to outplay each and any of them separately. The Tower of Infinity can give you some insight about class skills, as you don't die that fast from misplays, but the best way to learn about a class is to actually play it yourself. And with BM you need a lot of understanding about the other classes, so there's no way around it, either.

10 hours ago, Nivalias said:

Well, that's just it. Success in the arena depends heavily on how good you can read your opponent. So get better at reading them. Especially when playing BM, as they have many disadvantages compared to most other classes.

Well, if you really didn't find out yourself by now, here's a devastating combo that 100-0's all classes without Stun-Escape (except Warden, but even those will be close to death):

Best executed from an aerial, don't use a second air combo skill, wait until the enemy is about to go back down but before crashing on the ground for a sure hit -> HM-Z -> Z -> 4 -> 3x RMB -> LMB -> 2x RMB-LMB -> C -> 2x RMB-LMB. Obviously Spec your HM-Z and LMB to Stun for this.

Before you can use that however, you first must rid your opponents of their stun escapes first. There are various way to do that, but since most classes have different ways of protecting themselves against or break out of CCs, you need to learn how to outplay each and any of them separately. The Tower of Infinity can give you some insight about class skills, as you don't die that fast from misplays, but the best way to learn about a class is to actually play it yourself. And with BM you need a lot of understanding about the other classes, so there's no way around it, either.

I do something similar like what you sayd, i first airborne the target and then hm z and then q or e to iframe their escape but after that is where it gets difficult. I also have a hard time gettingg a good opener in most cases. Also i use my c as a resist in most matchups because i find it useful to iframe pulls and stuns 

Okay heres an update - i actually managed to get gold rank in 1v1... but with my summoner.. and the funny part is that i wasnt using any combos with my summoner cause i dont play it that much. So my conclusions is that summoner needs a nerf. Why does a newbie to summoner like me get gold so easily and when i play bm evrryday i cant get gold in pvp. 

On 2.10.2018 at 11:33 PM, i wanna die said:

I do something similar like what you sayd, i first airborne the target and then hm z and then q or e to iframe their escape but after that is where it gets difficult. I also have a hard time gettingg a good opener in most cases. Also i use my c as a resist in most matchups because i find it useful to iframe pulls and stuns 

Using HM-Z (aka the most useful CC-Skill with the longest, unresettable cooldown) against an enemy who's got escapes up (which have less cooldown than HM-Z) is the biggest mistake you can make as a BM. Without it, you're missing the strongest link of a stunlock chain long enough to kill your opponent.

You don't need necessarily stuns for enemies to use their tab. BM's have many other CCs to work with.

Also, in my combo I meant the Dual Strike (C), not the Shoulder Charge (C). For openers, you have windwalking skills.

58 minutes ago, Nivalias said:

Using HM-Z (aka the most useful CC-Skill with the longest, unresettable cooldown) against an enemy who's got escapes up (which have less cooldown than HM-Z) is the biggest mistake you can make as a BM. Without it, you're missing the strongest link of a stunlock chain long enough to kill your opponent.

You don't need necessarily stuns for enemies to use their tab. BM's have many other CCs to work with.

Also, in my combo I meant the Dual Strike (C), not the Shoulder Charge (C). For openers, you have windwalking skills.

well im my opener I am the first one to get cced.. when I windwalk I press lmb but most often than not it gets blocked or iframed and in 99% of cases I am the one to get cced first while trying to do my opener

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with BM is that unlike other classes you are completely open while attacking and your shield only lasts 3 hits.

You can only safely attack other while they are stunned or dazed but man, do they have an infinite amount of iframes. 

By the time you finally get to land a stun or daze they can already escape it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh I've only been as high as gold but I'd say go lightning and spec everything into CC. I mean stun on flicker, daze on tab, etc. 
Vs BM and Warlock who have infinite parry, spec C into parry  pierce, vs summoner there's basically nothing you can do so I'd spec resist to buy time - everything else spec C into approach.
For V spec into escape against assassin so you can hit them out of their stealth. Aside from that, use the Damage spec. 
Use your cc's but don't use them all at once. Keep using them until your opponent is out of escapes. Once their escapes are down, knock them up with Five Point Strike and hit V immediately. Wait as long as you can, hit rmb to continue the aircombo, wait as long as you can and use ascend. If their escapes were down, as they land they'll eat your V's full damage. DPS during this time.

Lightning will always be better than Fire for PvP because you can DPS without needing Fulmination. If you wanna DPS in fire build, you either need to use Flicker+Dragontongue which will waste your flicker stun, or spec tab into Conflagration.

Archived