Calling on the event designer to be fired for Blade and Soul

Let me start off by saying, I love Blade and Soul. I am not saying this because I hate it. I see a fantastic game being slowly ruined by SOME (not all) of the people who run it, which I can only presume are NOT the same people as the people who created Blade and Soul originally because I see such a change in the design principles from the core game to the stuff they are doing to the game these days, which I feel are ruining it, and are having a cumulative effect of doing so! Developers move on. The team might be the same, but I bet there are a lot of new people on it by now.

Ok this "Eternal Night Upgrade Event?" It is being handled terribly, and I will tell you why I think so, but first, I want to state that my primary reason for posting this is because I would personally recommend that the person who designs these events for Blade and Soul to literally lose their job. Fire them. Seriously. This person should not be allowed to continue making decisions for the future direction of Blade and Soul. It is damaging the game. Note: Not the coders. Whoever is designing this stuff needs to go.

No venom. It is a business decision. Let me explain why this needs to happen:

The valentines pvp massacre was a horrible mess. The person who designed that wasn't using their brain, or is actively malicious.

Koldrak is buggy. Quick time events are just simon says. Events that you have to be there at specific times to participate in them are a bad idea. 

Legend PVP mode requires you to be there at specific times of the day, so that is a problem.

They actually wasted developmental money/time/effort/resources to bring the Humble Brag back. (They call it Boast or Boast notifications now, and you can turn it off this time.) Unless I am mistaken, that received literally 100% negative feedback when it first came out. It was removed in 1 week. I didn't see 1 positive statement about the Humble Brag.

Remember the Maple leaf pay to win event? Remember the Explorer's and Brawler's Puzzle box pay to win event? How about this Feline Frisky Box pay to win event? Remember this?

Blade%20and%20soul%20wont%20be%20pay%20t

You lied to us NCsoft. You flat out lied through your teeth.

Again, I don't think the people who made the game are the same ones making decisions for the direction now.

But let me get to the topic at hand:

This soul hand out event in Eternal Night:

1) If you had invested into your soul, and now they hand you out a new one, you wasted all that effort upgrading your first soul, so this event is spitting in your face. You should have waited.

2) If your soul is already better than the awakened soul they are handing out, you wasted all that effort upgrading your first soul, so this event is spitting in your face. You should have waited.

3) You are a player who is going to start playing 3 months from now, this event is spitting in your face because you will have to upgrade the expansive way, but everyone else will have all these awakened souls. You might never catch up.

4) Why bother to upgrade ... say... your pet aura? NCsoft has shown that doing so would be a waste of resources. Similar to your soul, NCsoft will probably just hand out a legendary pet aura soon too if you wait. That means less people putting effort into that, so NCsoft is also spitting on itself and its own profit margin with this event. VERY dumb!

5) NCsoft is going to release this new great sword wielding class possibly in 2018. You going to make one? You know you will have to pay for that soul right? If you make an alt 3 months from now, this event is spitting on you.

So basically this event is spitting on almost everyone unless you have a fairly fresh level 55 just as this event came out, and you only have the solak soul having invested zero gold into your soul... THEN this event is good for you. Everyone else, gets spit on.

THEN... when you get the soul to the last stage, this event planner decided, "You know what? All the other stages can be guaranteed success, but the last stage, the one that is the most expensive in terms of Pristine Astral Oils will have a chance of failure! HAHAHA! I am sure they will love this! I am so good at this job. They should give me a raise and a promotion."

THEN the Event Planner/Designer person decided: when you fail to upgrade the soul, it gives you a "Upgrade Mileage" percentage which makes you more likely to succeed at upgrading it next time. Do you people realize that is a brand new mechanic that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game? That means NCsoft is using this as a test. They might make MORE things have a chance of failure too, and then implement this "Upgrade Mileage" mechanic to make the game even more grindy and less fair with regards to the outcome from player to player by infusing even more RNG. Do you think NCsoft is sitting around in a board meeting saying, "You know what this game needs? More RNG chances that screw you out of materials! Yeah! I bet the players will approve of this! Let's put it in!"

NO! STOP IT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW! You actually wasted the money that the players give you for development on creating an "Upgrade Mileage" system? You must have known we would hate it! We don't want there to be a chance of failure on ANYTHING! What do we want? We want to gather the grocery list of materials, and then when we get the whole thing, you put it together, and get the item with a 100% chance. Also, the items from the grocery list would ideally be obtained from either a skill based reward system (do this hard thing solo, and you get the grocery list item guaranteed) or a dedication based reward system (Do this dungeon. Get tokens. Use the tokens to buy things from this vendor). NOT a RNG based reward system (Run this dungeon endlessly for a % chance to have this thing drop. Then, when you get enough, sacrifice the items and maybe have a failure to get the result you wanted.)

I feel like whoever is in charge of making these decisions for the direction of the game is ruining a good game. WHO is designing this garbage? Event after event... and don't say that it doesn't matter just because it is a temporary event. This soul hand out is going to matter for everyone who fails to get the soul... for new players from now on who have to catch up too.

Make no mistake though, I am thankful for the soul that they seem to be handing out on a silver platter, and they did need to do something to fix the souls as well as the pet auras because as it stands, they are basically just massive gold sinks right now but... the way this was handled was HORRIBLE.

1) It should have allowed people who had a better soul to get resources equal to what the new soul would be worth in transformation stones, sacred oils and other materials.

2) It should have allowed people with an inferior soul to upgrade their existing one into the awakened version for less materials, OR once they get the awakened soul, salvage their old one to pull the resources back out so they didn't waste effort upgrading their existing soul.

3) It shouldn't have a chance of failure.

4) NCsoft should not have used our money for wasted developmental effort spent on creating an Upgrade Mileage system that they know no one is going to like anyway. Note that I say that no one is going to like it not because it isn't better than the chance of failure remaining the same forever. No no. I mean that there shouldn't be a chance of failure in the first place!

So again, whoever keeps putting out this garbage over and over and over needs to NOT be making decisions for the direction of the game. That means they need to be fired, and it is not out of hatred. It is just business. They aren't good at their job, and they have proven it again and again and again. This person is not going to learn, and they have shown it. NCsoft needs someone better. We need a new person to be determining the direction for Blade and Soul. Another option is that I should point out that some of the ideas COULD have been ok if they had been done differently. They are just handled terribly in the WAY they are done. Maybe there is too much rush to get everything out and that is why the ideas seem like they had potential, but weren't thought through or streamlined properly.

ah.. the valentine event, for pinkish aura... i've killed tons of ppl, line up for days, and get killed
when i get the item.. it's turn out buggy item, the aura not displayed correctly when we pass portal or windstride make it truly useless item
RIP

vor 6 Stunden schrieb NorbertTheOpinionated:

THEN the Event Planner/Designer person decided: when you fail to upgrade the soul, it gives you a "Upgrade Mileage" percentage which makes you more likely to succeed at upgrading it next time. Do you people realize that is a brand new mechanic that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game? That means NCsoft is using this as a test. They might make MORE things have a chance of failure too, and then implement this "Upgrade Mileage" mechanic to make the game even more grindy and less fair with regards to the outcome from player to player by infusing even more RNG. Do you think NCsoft is sitting around in a board meeting saying, "You know what this game needs? More RNG chances that screw you out of materials! Yeah! I bet the players will approve of this! Let's put it in!"

In Kr they already implemented the "Upgrade Mileage" for the Awakened Soul/Mystic badge. So yes, you are right this is a test to see how our community reacts to this upgrade mechanic, because NCwest plans to add Awakened badges in the next few patches.

I  wish  that  the  developer  team  of  ncwest  read  this and  do  much  diffrence  to  ncwest , not  just copying  from  Kr  , i  mean  they should  remove the  PTS  chance  of  failure , and  dont  say  that  it  is  already  on  Kr  and  if  the  chance  of  failure is  in  Kr  , we  cant  change  it  on  Eu/Na !  , they  will  just  say  that  and  be  lazy  to  not  do  anything  to  NCwest  and  copy  and  paste  kR  from 2 months and  give  it  to  us .

Players  way of think in  Kr  not  like  in  Eu  , u  must  put  this  in  your  priority.

Also , Kr  got  a  lot  of  things for  them  like , do  the  daily challenge  and  u  will  get 1 pet  pack  and 1 sacred  vial ! It  is  already  on  kr .

The  soul and pet system  is  all  wrong  u should change  it .

Last  thing , i  think that  they  want  to  milk  the  game by  doing  this  and  then they will  leave  it ! 

Last  thing , if  we  didnt  love  the  game , we  wont  write  here  for better  changes !

I  HOPE  pur  suggestions  will  be  taken  into  consideration.

This is a great read and all, but why not just tweet this link to Jonathan's twitter and have everyone like it or so?

He is considered the producer now, and I highly doubt he would have time to read the general forums to see this.

But to clarify, on that business model it really isn't pay to win. It has been and will be pay to progress faster.

Unless they decide to throw something in our face that can only be paid for with cash that directly gives players an advantage over others, this isn't pay to win.

You can argue against me on that, but unless you can give me an example I won't be convinced on that part of your argument. Take Dragon Nest for example. You can literally make a damn story on how pay to win that game is because all their godly items are in an rng box that can only be obtain with cash.

Blade and Soul? Everything can be farmed for. Sure that are in minor stages where say Trove can give you a straight up octa gem. This doesn't mean someone can't upgrade a minor gem to that stage.

The people who have been quitting simply don't want to deal with the evergrind of having to upgrade and never be truly capped on gear. I will admit BnS does that pretty damn well. I can never say I am maxed because of the constant upgrades that come out within 2 months or so. However, once we do catch up to Korea which is obvious that is what NCWest is trying to do... We will reach a dull point. It has been getting slower, a lot of people just overlook that though.

Back on track though, the events are lackluster. This offers no incentive for say, me, one of the people who have past that tier of soul.  So i'm just going to sit out on this event.
If anything, they need to look from the perspective of all players and provide goodies that everyone can see a reason to do said event.

Let me start this off by saying that I recently quit Blade and Soul simply because I didn't want to invest more time into the game, not due to the business model.

The Valentines "PvP" event? Very annoying, but nowhere near as bad as some other events.

Actual PvP means nothing to me so I won't go there.

Koldrak would have been perfectly fine if it wasn't limited to certain times, there are no issues outside of that.

There's nothing wrong with the Humble Brag feature.

As for the Soul event, to bad so sad? I mean this stuff happens in real life too. Imagine being a long time customer and buying a phone with a downpayment and monthly payments for its full original value. But then 3 years later they introduce a deal for NEW customers only where they can get a brand new phone for half price of the payments!

"But that just SPITS on the loyal customers!". Too bad? These are to entice new players or new characters. Heck, I had two VT geared characters with their own souls, one being maxed. If I still played the game I would have made a soul for a 3rd character because it's a good event.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT PLAYERS THAT COME AFTER THE EVENT." Too bad so sad? That's just how life is.

Now... this "Pay to win" claim. Blade and Soul is in no way shape or form Pay to win. No, Trove isn't p2w, the box events aren't p2w, buying gold isn't p2w, that's not the correct term for this. Blade and Soul is Pay to progress. EVERYTHING can be farmed. Need materials? Spam dungeons. Need raid materials? Go do the raid. Don't have the time for it? Well sorry then, but that's a you problem. 

Do you want a real example of Pay to win? A previous MMO I played, Dragon Nest, had materials in the game that could not be farmed in any way shape or form outside of actual money. This is how Dragon Nest worked, you farm dungeons endlessly to get materials (same here). You then proceed to do the raids over and over to get end game gear (same here).

Where it changes is this, imagine you can buy costumes with NCoin that gives you stats. Not just a few stats, I mean modifiers of +10% AP, 20% Elemental damage and bonus HP. But wait, there's more! Imagine having tiers for this type of gear, all the way up to legendary. Now, the only way to get the legendary tier is to buy Spring Boxes that have a .05% chance of dropping one piece of a costume for any of the classes in the game that are race bound. So if you're a Lyn FM and got a Yun FM piece? Too bad! You can't do anything with it. You can NPC it for a silver at best, but it can't be traded, sold, transmuted, anything. Oh, and those stats I mentioned above? Yeah, that's for every piece. So you essentially have doubled your damage by putting money into the game. See that person who only raided but has top end gear? You do far more DPS than they ever will.

Now... the mileage thing. To be honest, this doesn't sound too good. The same game above, Dragon Nest, has a system where everything that can be enhanced (upgrades) can start failing at higher levels. An example would be... let's take a VT Necklace. Stage 1-3 cost normally as it does now. But then from stage 4 through 10? It has a chance to fail. But not only that, it has a chance to break entirely! Buuuuut wait! You can buy items from the cash shop to stop the breaking from happening...! But it can still fail. I doubt BnS will go there, but that's what I'm used to.

"But you can buy gold in game so technically they can-" Dragon Nest does not have that feature. DN did have nice events though... purely pay to win ones. There are no Koldrak events, no nice Soul events, none of that. The events are basically "Buy 50 Spring boxes, get another 50 free!" Fantastic. 

So no, the business model isn't bad. No, the game isn't Pay to win. No, the person developing this shouldn't be fired and you should shove it with your claims.

vor 54 Minuten schrieb Aisuruu:

Now... this "Pay to win" claim. Blade and Soul is in no way shape or form Pay to win. No, Trove isn't p2w, the box events aren't p2w, buying gold isn't p2w, that's not the correct term for this. Blade and Soul is Pay to progress. EVERYTHING can be farmed. Need materials? Spam dungeons. Need raid materials? Go do the raid. Don't have the time for it? Well sorry then, but that's a you problem. 

Ill guess you are at leasr full BT or even VT gear even you quit as you say.

Pay2progress is not much of a different to pay2win and thread opener is right claiming NC-Soft lied to all of us.

Zitat

No paywalls will hold you back

Pet and Soul are behind a paywall and nearly impossible to farm in a decent amount of time.

Zitat

and no amount of money will give you an unfair competitive advantage over other players

Oh realy, go try Battelgound (6vs6) and repeat it when you got oneshot by max gear players

Just check how many hardcore cahser are on max gear after a trove.

Zitat

We don’t like pay-to-win, so what we are offering are cosmetics, convenience, and consumables

Ähh Nope just another lie, just look at the offer of the day at HM-Store. I see them selling materials to upgrade your Weapon / acessouirs on a regular base, while they reduced some materials over time.
Even the price of materials at the offer of the day have been bound to the prices at the market. F5 prices raised? F10 prices raised too.

Well ok materials ar now not that kind of problem anymore (at lease the crystals) but how to make gold you need to upgrade your stuff when you are low/mid-gear player and no one takes you to IF-SST and therefore you can only do dungeons up to NS?

Good luck.

Zitat

not power, not gear, not permanent stat increases

Oh i see, Gems, Skybreak Spire weapon materials, Upgradematerials from Trove are just cosmetic, not part of the Gear nor do they increase your stats

Its totaly irellevant wether you call it Pay2Progress, Pay2Win or rnzlprimpf due to the fact that NC-Soft is bunch of liars kidding players and try force them to spend money.

Best example is the last patch. Low/mid gear players will nearly have no chance to catch up cause they cant make any gold.

Dungeon gold rewards -> reduced

Daily Gold reward -> removed

unbound mats from lower dungeons -> removed

And over all they even made it nearly impossible for lower geared players to finish Naryu sanctum because they lowered the enrage timer to 5 instead of 8 minutes.

Yesterday i joined 4 groups via "LFP" button that failed to kill the Xanos due to the enrage timer. I decided to help them to see why they failed.

Well they did the mech, no one died, they just failed due to lack of damage  and gear

But none of our community-manager even care about it. Its still not adressed at the "know issues"

Makes me think its not a bug, it was intended.

I love BnS, thats why i still play, i totaly understand that a company want to make sales, but i never saw any company that cares so less about their costomers, lie to them in nearly any case and trick them into spending money.

i normaly wont care about RNG-Cash-Events, but what NC-Soft is doing with it is what makes me hope, belgium will be successfully in making RNG-Events illegal by law...

1 hour ago, hussam haytham said:

I  wish  that  the  developer  team  of  ncwest  read  this and  do  much  diffrence  to  ncwest , not  just copying  from  Kr 

There is no dev team for ncwest. There is only one dev team for Blade and soul and that's KR. Everyone else is just a publisher, except Tencent I believe bought rights for the game so they can make any changes they want.

8 hours ago, NorbertTheOpinionated said:

1) If you had invested into your soul, and now they hand you out a new one, you wasted all that effort upgrading your first soul, so this event is spitting in your face. You should have waited.

2) If your soul is already better than the awakened soul they are handing out, you wasted all that effort upgrading your first soul, so this event is spitting in your face. You should have waited.

3) You are a player who is going to start playing 3 months from now, this event is spitting in your face because you will have to upgrade the expansive way, but everyone else will have all these awakened souls. You might never catch up.

4) Why bother to upgrade ... say... your pet aura? NCsoft has shown that doing so would be a waste of resources. Similar to your soul, NCsoft will probably just hand out a legendary pet aura soon too if you wait. That means less people putting effort into that, so NCsoft is also spitting on itself and its own profit margin with this event. VERY dumb!

5) NCsoft is going to release this new great sword wielding class possibly in 2018. You going to make one? You know you will have to pay for that soul right? If you make an alt 3 months from now, this event is spitting on you.

1. It was your decision to upgrade - no one was forcing you to do it before the next price nerf. Use your brain. If something is there for a while - then it should soon become much easier to get. This is how this kind of games work. With the introduction of the new content the old one gets cheaper to get. You are playing this game for how long and you still didn't get it?

2. Why not get oils from the event? Oh you just want everything handle to you on a plate? Well... that's naive.

3. I bet - soon after this event they will make that tier of soul even cheaper. And after a year or so - it will become a standart reward for the main quest line. So new players will still be able to get it easily.

4. idk why would you upgrade your pet aura. If you have spare resourses - then ofc go for it. Is it the best time to upgrade a pet? No. Can you still do it if you want - yes. It's up to you. I got a first tier of leg pet aura and this is where i will stay for a next XX months. As wasting 20-30 pods for 1 upgrade is too much for my casual f2p playstyle. And this has nothing to deal with the current event btw, so why do you even brought it up?

5. Who the hell forcing you to get a soul for it? You just a cry baby that can't manage his resources and blames everyone alse for his shortcomings.

6 minutes ago, Statler said:

Ill guess you are at leasr full BT or even VT gear even you quit as you say.

Pay2progress is not much of a different to pay2win and thread opener is right claiming NC-Soft lied to all of us

It's completely different. 

1 minute ago, Statler said:

Your comment shows me that you still dont understand what OP want to say ;)

"It's completely different" and the OP is not correct in the statement. By definition their claim of not wanting to be Pay to win is correct. I gave the definition of something that's Pay to win, this isn't it.

19 minutes ago, Statler said:

Best example is the last patch. Low/mid gear players will nearly have no chance to catch up cause they cant make any gold.

Go spam battlegrounds untill you will run out of keys for the boxes. MS are going for 10 gold atm. Anyone who has some keys can make a good gold from it. And because they've reduced the overall ingame gold income - the gold is going up in price on f9 even during the lootbox event.

The gold nerf still can be a pain, yes. But overall - i think it is better for the economy. There was too much gold after the last trove. It was depressing to see the f9 prices...

Spam BG IF you have keys, IF you have good gear, IF you have enough nerve to get mocked by whales that you are useless in Battleground.

Well that happen to my ALT CLASS lots of time, and other people who have low pvp gear. My Main class already got new soul stage 2 and dragon forge 3 enough to kill.  

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Faishana:

But to clarify, on that business model it really isn't pay to win. It has been and will be pay to progress faster.

Unless they decide to throw something in our face that can only be paid for with cash that directly gives players an advantage over others, this isn't pay to win.

You know, i really hate this way of thinking. When did people start thinking this and why? Just because nonpaying users theoretically have a chance to get x in y years and paying users fork over 5€ to get it instantly, its not a unfair advantage?

That paying user will have a massive advantage over the free user for all those years. Just look at bns man, you can either farm and grind for literal years to get to raid gear, or you just buy your materials and have top gear instantly. How and where in the world is this fair? How is it not pay to "win", sematics aside?

10 minutes ago, Jack Valent said:

Spam BG IF you have keys, IF you have good gear, IF you have enough nerve to get mocked by whales that you are useless in Battleground.

Why bother with gear? You are wasting money you get in battleground for items you will use only in battleground? It's pointless unless you are a whale that acutally goes to BG for fun and not for profit.

And who cares about whales mocking anyone? If a whale is moking me - i will just ignore it if i am lazy, or will respond in a very agressive way if i have a bad mood. I don't care what they think of me. I am there just to make gold. And i am not afking unless everyone afking. So i am just doing my "job" there. And my gear is irrelevant as i will use whatever there is on that character but i am not going to invest money in it. As it is pointless.

If you have low gear - just try play objective. Buff you team if you have bb/sb/td/whatever and run away from conflict. Play smart and will not fead too much. The rest is random - you will just hope that you will get a better team than your opponents.

10 minutes ago, Granger said:

That paying user will have a massive advantage over the free user for all those years. Just look at bns man, you can either farm and grind for literal years to get to raid gear, or you just buy your materials and have top gear instantly. How and where in the world is this fair? How is it not pay to "win", sematics aside?

All and every MMO is p2w. You can buy gold from gold sellers and then buy whatver you want. WoW is p2w in the same manner. It's just how MMO game works.

So i guess what the other person says is that BnS doesn't provide anything that would be exclusive adventage to paying players and that you will not be able to offset on a technical level if you are a f2p player.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb SadFace:

All and every MMO is p2w. You can buy gold from gold sellers and then buy whatver you want. WoW is p2w in the same manner. It's just how MMO game works.

So i guess what the other person says is that BnS doesn't provide anything that would be exclusive adventage to paying players and that you will not be able to offset on a technical level if you are a f2p player.

Not all. Few mmos actually used to offer upgrade materials and such, though i've seen the polar opposite years ago (upgrading your weapon has a increasingly large chance to fail... and BREAK IT. Make it to the top has maybe 0.00001% chance if you dont pay up.), too. 

What they're saying is like. Imagine BnS adds a achivement that grants 1000 ap and its condition is "finish the koldrak daily 1000 times" (eg almost 4 years of killing koldrak every day) OR "have an active premium subscription". Its not absurd and not unfair right? 

But hey its only pay to progress. We're cool with that, right?

10 minutes ago, Granger said:

Not all. Few mmos actually used to offer upgrade materials and such

Playing dumb huh?

You can buy gold or other ingame currency from gold farmers using 3rd party traiding sites. It doesn't matter if the publishers have a cash shop or not - you can still pay for you progress in those games.

What BnS EU doesn't do - is it doesn't have special buffs to your stats that you can ONLY buy with cash, as they have those in CN and RU bns.

35 minutes ago, Granger said:

You know, i really hate this way of thinking. When did people start thinking this and why? Just because nonpaying users theoretically have a chance to get x in y years and paying users fork over 5€ to get it instantly, its not a unfair advantage?

They think that way because it's simply the case.

Illegal (or legal) gold buying exists in every MMO out there, thus, anyone can simply pay to progress. As a business, MMO hosts understood this and realized that rather than let someone else get the money, they themselves should get the money by selling Pay to progress items. 

Nothing was said about it being fair, but rather just not a case of Pay to win. 

I already explained true p2w in my original post if you want to take a look there.

3 hours ago, hussam haytham said:

I  wish  that  the  developer  team  of  ncwest  read  this and  do  much  diffrence  to  ncwest , not  just copying  from  Kr  , i  mean  they should  remove the  PTS  chance  of  failure , and  dont  say  that  it  is  already  on  Kr  and  if  the  chance  of  failure is  in  Kr  , we  cant  change  it  on  Eu/Na !  , they  will  just  say  that  and  be  lazy  to  not  do  anything  to  NCwest  and  copy  and  paste  kR  from 2 months and  give  it  to  us .

Players  way of think in  Kr  not  like  in  Eu  , u  must  put  this  in  your  priority.

Also , Kr  got  a  lot  of  things for  them  like , do  the  daily challenge  and  u  will  get 1 pet  pack  and 1 sacred  vial ! It  is  already  on  kr .

The  soul and pet system  is  all  wrong  u should change  it .

Last  thing , i  think that  they  want  to  milk  the  game by  doing  this  and  then they will  leave  it ! 

Last  thing , if  we  didnt  love  the  game , we  wont  write  here  for better  changes !

I  HOPE  pur  suggestions  will  be  taken  into  consideration.

If our version of BNS was copy from KR our hongmoon lvl exp will be more easy, lot of thing are difference between regions NA/EU-CN-KR-JP.

Archived