Console release

SalemK

4 hours ago, HateMe said:

they mentioned the console version last year and thats where any info ended. This game runs like crap on Pc you think console will make it any better ? xD

If they rewrite the entire back end and get rid of that cancer called Scaleform, it might actually run semi okayish on a PS4. Not on Xbone tho, as it has really poor CPU performance compared to the PS and no amount of microsoft support team wizardry is going to change that limitation.

They have to fix any and all overdraws, rewrite the way most of the sfx visualises, dumb down the models and above all, lower the game's tick rate significantly. All of this will make B&S pretty much a shadow of what it is now (so basically a shadow of a shadow of an idea about a great game).

4 hours ago, MassiveEgo said:

If they rewrite the entire back end and get rid of that cancer called Scaleform, it might actually run semi okayish on a PS4. Not on Xbone tho, as it has really poor CPU performance compared to the PS and no amount of microsoft support team wizardry is going to change that limitation.

They have to fix any and all overdraws, rewrite the way most of the sfx visualises, dumb down the models and above all, lower the game's tick rate significantly. All of this will make B&S pretty much a shadow of what it is now (so basically a shadow of a shadow of an idea about a great game).

Ncwest won't even fix their servers. I HIGHLY doubt they wouid put in anywhere near that much effort to make a console port work. Unless Bns KR handles the console port i don't see this ever happening. 

3 minutes ago, Crahzi said:

Ncwest won't even fix their servers. I HIGHLY doubt they wouid put in anywhere near that much effort to make a console port work. Unless Bns KR handles the console port i don't see this ever happening. 

NC West are and always were a publishing wing. Basically local managers. If a port is to happen, it will be build by the main branch of NC Soft. But as I pointed out, it seems highly unlikely that they'll do it right as that would require a LOT of resources, mostly to get the damn thing to run smoothly on those platforms and that is really hard to do even for much more basic multiplayer games with one and half mechanics to consider. In all honesty, I doubt this will be a thing. Just look at TERA for ps4. They had to cap it on 30fps and it dips below that all the time. Good thing it's hard to notice on TVs with their slow as hell panels. I think NC Soft are wise enough to know that this particular game isn't going to be an easy cookie to bake and will give up on the idea instead of sinking tons of cash into a project that will never smell like quality due to base software limitations. Only time will tell.

dont listen to these bitter PC players blade and soul could run fine on console PC players are always so negative when u bring up something About a PC  mmorpg coming to console first thing they will say oh it wont run on console so many mmorpgs  they said will never come or wont be able to run on console are on console and player base is way higher then the PC Versions anyways if tera can come to console blade and soul can too just because there is no new info dosent mean its not in the works  first all they would make whole lot more money on console then PC that would be a good way for them to go  business wise 

4 hours ago, Tava396 said:

dont listen to these bitter PC players blade and soul could run fine on console PC players are always so negative when u bring up something About a PC  mmorpg coming to console first thing they will say oh it wont run on console so many mmorpgs  they said will never come or wont be able to run on console are on console and player base is way higher then the PC Versions anyways if tera can come to console blade and soul can too just because there is no new info dosent mean its not in the works  first all they would make whole lot more money on console then PC that would be a good way for them to go  business wise 

Oh? Explain me all the technicalities behind this game if you're so enlightened then. Tell me why they'll be able to fix issues that the engine has for the console release, when they haven't been physically able to fix those for YEARS on the PC version, which is the version they hold the source code for? Do you think that a console is a magical box? It's not. It's a dumbed down PC that needs a tons more work on the software side to make games perform relatively well. And it's mostly not possible, so they end up locking the framerate. And this game is not exactly easy to play with lower fps.

Let me enlighten you for a moment - here's an incredibly dumbed down segment of the information theory:

The number of transistors that you have on a micro controller of any sort, including microprocessors found on PCs/consoles/phones/whatever, are your hard top limit when it comes to how many bits per clock you can pass through the micro controller. Assuming you can activate the entire processor and all of it's gates, that's the kind of throughput you'll get. Now this can never happen as the ttl works on a per clock basis with the exception of the memory controller, which works both on both the rising and the falling edge of the clock effectively doubling it's throughput. In other words, every processor, no matter which one and on which platform, has a theoretical per clock performance ratio. For desktop CPUs it's measured in gigatransfers per second and it's the maximum throughput that the cpu has on it's pci-e lanes. Here's why this is important - console cpu cores are dumbed down versions of cpu cores. They have less transistors and lower clock speed. If you think this game, which is almost entirely cpu bound, will magically run better on a console processor that is literally not even half of the desktop cpu it's based on (this holds true for both xbox and ps4, can read up on it), which by the way can barely run the game, you are talking nonsense. Except of course if your idea of running fine is 30fps limit, micro stutters, long loading screens and all that goodness that comes with "but it's so much more relaxing to play on the couch" argument, like using a controller with a PC and wi-fi are not a thing. Then I agree, it'll run "fine".

50 minutes ago, Belido said:

maybe that way they will learn a efficient way to  utilize multi core CPUs, as both PS4 and Xbox one are  Octacores. :smirk:

Well if they do use UE4 for the console release as @finalfantasy7 said, that would definitely alleviate some of the problems that stem from UE3's basic lack of multi threading. But that's pretty big if. Only time will tell. And even then, take this into consideration. It's a 2012 game. A few updated effects are not going to impress anybody when we consider the competition (on the console market obviously).

@Tava396 Well even if you say things, that doesn't make them correct. So at least have the decency to not talk about stuff which you don't understand. This isn't something a layman can mouth out about.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well to be fair, a lot of optimization is handled on the client side - tweaks made that work with your PC.

And that's always been the issue with optimizing games for PC users. There is no standardized gaming PC, which makes it near impossible for developers to truly optimize a game right out of the "box". There's just too many variables with PCs, not to mention poor upkeeping of the operating system by the user.

With console, you have a much different palette for developers to work on. The hardware is standardized. The operating system is standardized. You basically tweak the game to operate the way you want it, publish it, and the gamers get to experience what the developers intended (for better or for worse).

So the statement, "This game runs like crap on Pc you think console will make it any better ? xD", is a bit narrow minded when approaching the problem. Yes, the hardware on gaming PCs can be superior to consoles but that's not really the problem and never has been. Talk about octacores and megagigawatts all you want but it's not as impactful as you think. :) There's a reason why a lot of apps run smoother on trash apple products vs their beefier competition like Android.

Archived