Forums

Why are they increasing the mailing cost of Sacred Oil/Vial?

Why Bother

Currently it costs 1 copper to mail account bound Sacred Oil (which will be renamed to Sacred Vial after the update), but after the update it will cost 1.5 gold to mail it (look at the bottom of the linked page, under "Miscellaneous"). A ways back they tried to greatly increase the mailing cost of gems, players threw a fit, and they reduced the mailing cost again, I had hoped they learned not to do that again, I guess not. I still don't know why it costs anything to transfer items, and gold between characters on the same account in this game, they have periodically reduced, or even greatly reduced the mailing cost of such items before, which is good, yet now they're significantly increasing the cost of these.

It was kinda different with gems, because they were the only account-bound equipment item. People invested a lot of time/money into getting good gems hoping they'd be able to use them on all characters, which obviously involves mailing them around between characters a LOT (to the point you might as well not do anything on your alts because you'll lose gold mailing the gems). 

With Sacred Oils, well... Idk what other people do with them, but once I get them, I just send them over to my main once and that's it. The mailing cost increase isn't a big deal... but then again, it isn't a big deal, so why bother changing it?

59 minutes ago, Cauli said:

It was kinda different with gems, because they were the only account-bound equipment item. People invested a lot of time/money into getting good gems hoping they'd be able to use them on all characters, which obviously involves mailing them around between characters a LOT (to the point you might as well not do anything on your alts because you'll lose gold mailing the gems). 

With Sacred Oils, well... Idk what other people do with them, but once I get them, I just send them over to my main once and that's it. The mailing cost increase isn't a big deal... but then again, it isn't a big deal, so why bother changing it?

I know it's generally a once, and done thing with those, but like I imagine many, I would use alts to do events, to get things like Sacred Oils, and mail them to whatever char I wanted them on. Then look at the degree of increase, it's going to increase by a factor of fifteen thousand times of what it was, that's not just a small change, and can you really give a good reason why we need to pay anything to transfer things between chars on the same account?

I know a game needs gold sinks, but gold sinks are most needed against the top end players, as they're the ones swimming in big pools of gold, something like transfer costs affects everyone, at every stage. Then there's stuff like when they reduce the rewards of mid level dungeons, which directly harms the lower end players still trying to gear up. They keep making changes to the whole of the game, due to those top end players, even at the expense of everyone else. Although when NCSoft tries to do things to help lower geared, and newer players, like the up coming event related to souls, the top end players tend to throw a fit.

The complete lack of concern by the two above this post is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my prior post. We have these top end players sitting on massive pools of gold, that look at a 1.5 gold fee, and think absolutely nothing of it, due to how utterly trivial it is to them, similarly they will then be the type that complains about how they're giving a good soul out for "free" in the upcoming event. It costs five, to twenty gold for each upgrade, and upgrade attempt of those event souls, to make your permanent soul, to those players, that's also nothing, which is why they regard it as "free," although to those not at the top end, the 100-200+, or so gold it would cost to get that permanent soul is a good week, or more of earnings for that character, so it certainly isn't "free" to them. This is a ridiculously huge increase in the mailing fee, but to the people that actually need gold sinks applied to them, it's beyond nothing, while those struggling to get enough gold, will feel it.

Archived