The Elitist Trap

SilverFoxR

Hey all.

So, here's a little slice of the normal nonsense I get to put up with in this crappy, elitist community... tell me if this doesn't sound familiar.

I log onto one of my alts after running all my DCs (shaking my head that people are still looking for 1k+ runs for DT, even with the event's buffs) and notice that they need 2 more runs of NS to get the bracelet. So I decide, heck... why not? It'll push my little alt over the 1k ap mark, so that'll be nice. At the very least, it'll give me less headaches trying to find weekly runs on them (despite being Raven 1 when people without Raven call for Raven+ runs). So, after not noticing any runs for Sanctum (or at least, seeing any under 1k, since my alt is 990ap at the moment), I decide to try and get my own run going. Since I'm not one of those doucebags who sets criteria for a dungeon run that I myself cannot meet, I decide on a healthy ap minimum of 950, so I can at least have a party that'd be capable of clearing. So, I begin recruiting... 3 people join... then immediately leave. 3 more join... and leave. One HM15 joins... and more people actually stick around... 4 more join... then 1 leaves... finally, after a good 10 minutes of recruiting, I finally have a party and we enter.

We get as far as killing the second set of mobs... then the HM15 bails. Then everyone bails. Great. Now I need to recruit all over again.

So, Back to the lobby, back to recruiting... and after 20 minutes of no response... I give up.

Sound familiar? It should. Sounds like the standard-fare elitist attitude that chokes this community. I remind you that my ALT was trying to run NARYU SANCTUM with 990ap... AND a RAVEN WEAPON and that STILL wasn't good enough to get a party going.

"Oh, get better gear." you might say. Sure... I could do that... in fact... THAT'S WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO by running Naryu Sanctum... but I CAN'T, because nobody will join my "filthy casual" party.

And THAT, my friends, is the "Elitist Trap" - you can't get into parties, because you're not geared enough, but you can't get gear without doing the dungeons people won't join you for. No, no... if you're not Aransu 9, you better not be trying to run Sogun's Lament.

And this is just an example. I don't know how many times I've been snubbed from parties on alts that were deemed "inferior" by people who were lower AP than I was. How many times have you seen weekly trains run by someone not even 900ap calling for 1k+ runs? Heck, I have 4 chars, all Raven and only the ones who are 1k+ get any attention at all in weeklies... despite one of them (my gunner) tanking Dark Yeti for a party once.

But no... just look at the AP and the monocles pop. Doesn't matter that you're explaining every mech to the party and outliving half the whales... the moment some brainless DPSer screws up the run, the leader kicks you. And yes... THAT happened to me recently too!

Anyways, my rant's over. Feel free to share your own stories of elitist BS while I go see if having a 1.2k summoner is enough enticement to keep some people around.

The game just doesn't have enough newcomers. I feel it's mostly because the promotion handled poorly. It sticks to that niche MMO market, even though it has a lot strong points going for the game that allows it to stand out from the general MMO crowd. It needs the Steam release and a good PR compain push so badly...
If there was more newcommers - you would be able to find parties more easily.

What you can do at the moment - get your alt in to active clan, or ask clanmates from your main clan to help you out.
OR
Just press that LFP button! I think it's better than trying to make custom parties with low AP ppl. Basically - there are not many elitists using LFP. Ppl there are usually much more forgiving - as they don't bother that much about building party that will carry them, and don't have high expectations. Although those parties can fail if RNG will get you a really weak party. But then you can try again without waiting in the lobby for the next 10 minutes spamming same message over and over again.

1 minute ago, Nyaha said:

The game just doesn't have enough newcomers. I feel it's mostly because the promotion handled poorly. It sticks to that niche MMO market, even though it has a lot strong points going for the game that allows it to stand out from the general MMO crowd. It needs the Steam release and a good PR compain push so badly...
If there was more newcommers - you would be able to find parties more easily.

I guess lots of newcomers and potentially interested people uninstall very fast when they find out about all the pay-walls and random-schemes, unless you pay you either gotta be happy with what you get or spend absurd amounts of time.

1 minute ago, Stacey Banks said:

I guess lots of newcomers and potentially interested people uninstall very fast when they find out about all the pay-walls and random-schemes, unless you pay you either gotta be happy with what you get or spend absurd amounts of time.

Well it is a problem. But atm the whole game industry has that problem. At least this game is F2P, and not P2P+P2W as a lot of the new AAA games are. I mean - just watch Jim Sterling and see how shity the game industry became nowdays...

This game does have some P2W problems, but those are not that bad as many other MMOs and even non-MMOs are. And you can still get a fair pvp in arena that is free from all P2W.

3 minutes ago, Nyaha said:

Well it is a problem. But atm the whole game industry has that problem. At least this game is F2P, and not P2P+P2W as a lot of the new AAA games are. I mean - just watch Jim Sterling and see how shity the game industry became nowdays...

This game does have some P2W problems, but those are not that bad as many other MMOs and even non-MMOs are. And you can still get a fair pvp in arena that is free from all P2W.

It's also nice that they give everyone the story for free pretty much. :3

Nothing elitist about it. It's actually rather retarded as no one gets the run done or spends far more time than should be necessary. 

DT requirements used to be 600 AP, with mechanics. It's funny what people have inflated this number to become. 

It's honestly absurd of the "AP" requirements, especially after the patch.  How the hell does the AP recruitment wall suddenly jump from 900AP to a common 1.1K for NF?

I'm this close to just creating a group of my own and run dungeons with "low AP" people willing to learn the game than tag along with a bunch of "RAVEN++ FAST" elitists that refuse to kill anything not labeled a boss because of unknown privileged reasons, then have 10+ Assassin Operatives chase everyone forever because they aggro dogs.

And don't even get me started with Gloomdross and Shattered Mast.

But whatever. Who needs to encourage new players keep this game alive when you can just flex your AP biceps, amirite?

I would suggest to hit the LFP button. I am sitting on 1.1k ap and when was farming DT for my necklace runs I just started hitting LFP button instead of recruiting via chat simply because well I am strong my self + event buff + I'm SF so can carry party and heal them up even if they fail + I played this dungeon tons of times when you had to do all mechs so meh and surprise surprise, every single LFP run ended up with majority of highly geared people and way better and experienced rather than from recruiting... Every single LFP run I did in past few days was just smooth as hell because I got matched with people who most likely were thinking like me - I am strong and there is event buff, it's just faster to LFP.  And on top of that, since it was my last accessory to farm up I was missing some cores to exchange it and got necklace drop, got it for copper because everyone in party was just flat out geared as hell.

So, conclusion: hit LFP button on dungeons like EC/DT/NF/NS or what ever else that doesn't require really hard mechanics and topped gear (it would be a bit of a gamble). It is indeed that people who just don't bother with recruiting 1k or 1.1k+ because they are strong are usually nicer players.  Hope it helps! @SilverFoxR

i understand how op is feeling that why i make sure to  put those people that kick you out for having abit low ap for low lvl dungeons .hell  when i have over the ap some people still kick me but when that happens i think its not because its the ap but they just dont like you and the people just goes around stays in group untill the group get inside to leave or after the first few mobs ,that bugs me alot because whats the point of them doing that except to ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ the people off and waste their own time and everyone elses and probably hoping that those people cant finish the dungeon...

i just wish nc would give me a bigger blocklist and it would block their whole account and not just the one char so i wouldn't  accidently help them on their other chars,that how much i dislike them.

one more thing is that i dont understand is why nc won't give us bigger blocklist "account wide" and even make it so they wouldnt be able to join their groups and even  show your account name in char prof because  even tho  mmo is social environment theres alot of creepers that stalk people just to make their gaming undesirable etc etc not to mention how they have to show where you are in friends list, with things like  that it just help creepers  so much more 

Thats why i also use lfp for all dungs till ns(included). And with 7 chars i have no problem doing it. My main is 1.1k ap and alts are 1-1.05k. And very rearly have problems with doing dung on any char. As for lower ppl leaving pt they only want to get carry. Ppl are realy lazy in this game and want to cheese every dung or do it without any effort. Higher ppl leaving lower pt because they want to do run faster and lower leave because they see that they wont be carried.

I agree with the people saying "try lfp", specially with the confidence buff during this event. Personally I always lfp for anything DT, EC, NF and NS, and I rarely have issues. More than once I've had much smoother runs of NS with a bunch of HM 9-10's (either they knew what they were doing or they listened to their team mates) than with a team of high levels with no clue but too much arrogance to bother about anything or anyone. My main is wl HM 14 BT gear Raven 9, so nothing out of this world but enough to get me by; yet I have have alts from HM 9 to 11, baleful 9 to Raven 1, and I understand perfectly the problems lower geared people face in the game right now. I'm more than happy to help any of them if I can, and I have a lot more fun with a team like that than with one of high levels that mess up and hide their hands behind their back, curse everyone around and dont even have the second it takes to say "tyfp" lol.

I've seen this happen a lot. For example, two days ago I decided to do a run on an alt, just to get that bracelet so I can boost my damage a tiny bit and not be that 1k AP player that has no substance. I hit the lfg, not even a premade. I get into a party with pretty similar peeps, HM9-10. Some HM 10 gunner with riftwalk 1 and no elemental jewelry or gem, starts absolutely trashing everybody, saying how hard he'll have to carry and what not, then leaves after saying we'll never clear the dungeon. Took us exactly 23 minutes. Not brilliant, but most certainly not the longest I've seen in lfg. Death free.

Imo people just assume everybody in LFG has an average IQ of 60, or something along those lines and when he/she sees that players don't have enough AP to muscle through the dungeon without mechs in less than 30 minutes, they just leave. I must say this kind of low barring is really annoying. :grrr:

I am trying BnS out for the first time and I hope I can meet people who aren't unfriendly because I'm "new" or "low-level." Every game has their elitists and their lazy peeps, I just hope I can find players who are playing for the fun of it, not because it's a competition or a status symbol.

I try my best to run a single newbe per day... through EC to NS dungeons. But most got to understand, I require people to at least be 1050K to do IF & EL, 1.1K to do SSM & HH. I am not looking for fast runs, I just look for runs that actually have people who understand those mechanics. Those dungeons require you to know mechanics, you can't DPS your way through it all.

Archived