Astarae

Why is gunner so bad against comparable stats?

Astarae   

I'm looking at a gunner with stats that seem as good or better than a blade dancer, yet the BD trashes all over gunner.  So why is gunner so weak on defense against most classes?  Biggest issue is always getting rapidly killed before I can do anything.  Here's an example of a BD that killed me before I could touch them... worse is assassin, BTW -- I posted question here some time ago about how to deal with an invis assassin you can't target -- there's no defense against that either.  Some say to use skystone-- but that lasts maybe 1 round or less, then dead.

Anyway...stat of gun v. BD:

cmp_shot_zps1le8wu2b.jpg

Also heard gunner getting nerfed even more in Mar17 update???

How can that be when it so bad now?

BTW -- don't say "go get this equip", as I've tried to get all the equip I can; if I don't have it, its cause I haven't been able to so far.

caioc2   

BD is using full beluga SS simple as that.

Sidenote:

I think you are not using your hooks and tab/f properly

One thing I can note that might be useful (I don't personally PvP) against Assassins using stealth is that, if you damage them at all, they tend to lose their stealth. This is why an attack that goes off without a target (IE: Most melee classes have a sweeping trip) will hit an Assassin if they are in range. I cannot confirm this for PvP, but a Gunslinger's SS backstep causes a small AoE from where they backstep from, which does do damage. I have used it on a stealthing Assassin in PvE, so it's plausible that it would work for an Assassin sneaking up close to you in PvP.

Mind you, this is only one solution. You can also attempt to use X or Skyhook to shield yourself or to dodge around to iFrame. Either way, Assassins are always a pain in PvP. You might want to consider looking over the skills you have and tweak them more for PvP. Some of the skills you have might benefit you more than what you're using.

Like people have said, Gunners (Fire primarily) have very high burst damage... but that's pretty much all that they have going for them. They are textbook "glass cannons" and, since many people have been used to playing against them, a decent player will have answers to their actions. For example, Blade Dancers can use their spin to deflect incoming attacks (projectiles included) to instantly stun their opponent. Since Gunners want to do big damage and not prolong the fight (where they will be less effective), a BD can very easily predict that the Gunner will try to go in aggressively and pull off an easy parry. At that point, all they need to do is apply pressure with their numerous CCs and approach skills. If the opponent attempts to use their break-out skill, it gives BDs free reign to use their Phantom Grip for free, easy damage, since the break-out skill is in cooldown.

Sheral   

I'm not the best gunner or the worst, I'm not the one who likes to use bullet storm in all 6v6 to have points I like to enjoy the battle, and discovered a couple of incredible combos in the gunner but very difficult to do, given the constant focus that they make to the gunner, based on my experience you have to be permanently trying to recharge the hooks, which are the ones that can save your life in the moment that a BD attacks you if it is not a whale but it kills you with pure 2, x. Try to survive using ss and the shield the Q but do not spend the hooks until you see that you are about to die, the gunner has a lot of cd in his abilities so you have to be careful and control your cd, when you see that it is not you have more skills to use Z squeeze and run, escape from the battle until your skills reload again, if you do not do it the safest thing is to be erased. Most of the BD are predictable, use Q as soon as you see them approaching you, have one of your skills in secure kd, wait for him to finish his endless tab and put kd, in those you like 4s he gets up and becomes invulnerable wait 4 seconds after he gets up and you put the stun and there downloads the entire combo. The best thing is that you are always co-opted by someone if you are against a BD in 6v6, the gunner has too many counter in this game you will notice after the patch that comes when the noobs end with bullet storm.

Edited by Sheral

In PVP 6v6, it's a 1 shot fest. So it's all about whether you "tag" your opponent first. You got him first, you win. He got you first, he wins. 

Also, the gunner in the image goes in 6v6 full PVE gear. No pvp soulshield, no points in defense, low HP. It doesn't even take much gear to 1 shot him.

The BD at least has PVP soulshield.

Astarae   

FWIW -- the above slaughter wasn't in 6v6 or any dedicated pvp arena -- just SSP, where I'm trying to get badges for clan stuff.

It's the only decent place to get those, but full on PvPer's there really can be more than a bit annoying.

@Massive -- how do you post soul shields?

just screen shot the soul shield page?

FrozenB   
4 hours ago, Astarae said:

FWIW -- the above slaughter wasn't in 6v6 or any dedicated pvp arena -- just SSP, where I'm trying to get badges for clan stuff.

It's the only decent place to get those, but full on PvPer's there really can be more than a bit annoying.

@Massive -- how do you post soul shields?

It doesn't matter if it is 6vs6 or ssp, it is all the same, which is PVP zone. The BD has beluga ss, which is PVP ss. So, he/she has some critical defense whereas you only have PVE soulshield. Obviously, any people with raven gears can pretty much 2-3 hits KO you. Work on your PVP gears such as soul shields, weapon, accessories. Then, gunner can kill anyone before they can even touch you. Gunner suppose to be able to 1-2 shot KO people. If you can't, it means you are doing something wrong or still weak in attack damage.

Also, in order to PVP well with gunner, you need to know other classes' skills very well. For example, you need to know/guess when will they use their approach skills to air combo you. Then, you can use your hook (e) to iframes them. Gunner is known to have least defensive skills, but if you know how to use your hooks skill properly, you can take down anyone because of insane damage burst.

8 hours ago, Astarae said:

1. It's the only decent place to get those, but full on PvPer's there really can be more than a bit annoying.

2. @Massive -- how do you post soul shields?

1. It's a PvP zone, so keep that in mind;

2. Use BnS tree to make a soul shield build and post us the link.

Edited by MassiveEgo