My friend thinks TERA has better combat than Bns

Montgomery

So I got my friend into playing BnS right? Then he ended up going back to TERA after hitting HM8 in BnS so I thought I'd TRY to play TERA with him again and I just couldn't the combat was so slow and boring compared to BnS (imo) not to mentioned BnS looks a lot better than TERA. So my friend told me he liked TERA's combat more bc it required dodging, and thought and said that BnS was just sit there and dps the boss, and "you only use the same two skills." he played warlock. Also he just didn't like tanking or dps and he wanted a healer, but BnS doesn't have a holy trinity. I want other people's opinion on this whole thing.

Just HM8 no wonder your friend thinks that way. And I doubt if ur friend has ever been trying arena pvp. Besides, ur friend says dps the boss is boring as you just sit there but prefer to be a healer. Isn't a healer also just sit there and heal towards teammates? Oh but its not happening in bns, when you play sf you can heal ur team while dpsing the boss. 

7 hours ago, Montgomery said:

So I got my friend into playing BnS right? Then he ended up going back to TERA after hitting HM8 in BnS so I thought I'd TRY to play TERA with him again and I just couldn't the combat was so slow and boring compared to BnS (imo) not to mentioned BnS looks a lot better than TERA. So my friend told me he liked TERA's combat more bc it required dodging, and thought and said that BnS was just sit there and dps the boss, and "you only use the same two skills." he played warlock. Also he just didn't like tanking or dps and he wanted a healer, but BnS doesn't have a holy trinity. I want other people's opinion on this whole thing.

In all honesty i still think Tera has a better combat system than BnS. BnS combat seems more.....not sure if i pick the right word...more like "static" as where tera's is more dynamic.  Specifically what i like in Tera is that oyu simply cant dps burst a boss down like you do in BnS.

Also a dedicated tank / healer class and hybrids of tank/dps are imo better worked out there than in bns. Also the publisher is much much more player friendly compared to ncsoft.

However...bns also has its appeals: fashion and the story are much better in bns. Also bns does not remove old content like tera does and they mostly have new dungeons coming out as where tera has mostly reskins of older bosses.

That being said tera is still super fun to play, especially since it requires more than a 2 button spam to kill in PVP, and their gunners arent so broken like here.

But its all personal preference.

I did like tera and played it for a long time before BNS. 

Their combat system was fun and every character looked unique and interesting. Their PVP was much more balanced and fun than BNS's as well.

I got bored though from the over rehashing of bosses and even normal mobs and the lack of new content. I mean you pretty much face the same things over and over with different colors and names. 

I played TERA for 2 days and the combat is not better at all, there seems to be no balance in damage, you start on lvl 1 and deal like 100 dmg per hit, just a few levels later you spam 10.000 damage crits, late ron lvl 40 my Moondancer already did 1million crits, i mean realy? is this diablo3?

The combat is restricted to be 2 dimensional, because of the older engine, you can't even attack while jumping.

TERA was good when it came out, so was Classic WoW, now you can see that it just aged.

56 minutes ago, Arohk said:

I played TERA for 2 days and the combat is not better at all, there seems to be no balance in damage, you start on lvl 1 and deal like 100 dmg per hit, just a few levels later you spam 10.000 damage crits, late ron lvl 40 my Moondancer already did 1million crits, i mean realy? is this diablo3?

The combat is restricted to be 2 dimensional, because of the older engine, you can't even attack while jumping.

TERA was good when it came out, so was Classic WoW, now you can see that it just aged.

its called damage scaling with gear and level. BNS has the same but its more noticable the better gear you have, with tera its based on skills and their level.

So you cant really use this as an argument. And you can attack while jumping there are a few skills that allow it.

Also moondancer is a new class so its like gunner in BnS a bit overpowered currently.

I enjoy both Tera and Blade & Soul combat.  I feel like Tera’s combat is more enjoyable in PvE and Blade & Soul’s combat is more enjoyable in PvP.

Both styles of combat aren’t without flaws.  Blade & Soul has limitations in regards to being able to use abilities (you need a target to use the majority of abilities).  The skills are condensed into a limited amount of keys which can cause some issues when skills overlap on the same key.  Tera suffers from clunky combat (unable to use some skills while in motion) and desync.

Tera is a pretty good game. Played it all the way to max on 2 characters before starting Blade and Soul, but notice I am here and not there. Why? 4 reasons:

1) Combat: Try attacking and moving at the same time in Tera. You can't. You can move your arms, OR you can move your legs; not both at the same time. That is absurd. If I am a fast class, why can't I dance around the enemy while hitting them? If I am an archer, I want to be able to be running at full speed away from the enemy, jump in the air to keep moving at full speed, whip my camera around, fire a shot, whip it back around, land, keep moving at full speed, jump again, then repeat. Jump, turn, shoot while still moving at full speed. You can't do that in Tera. Also, all of the attacks lock you in place while you are doing them. Sure there are attacks that move you, but those attacks always move you in the same exact way every single time. Hope you wanted to move the way the attack moves you! Jumping in Tera gets you knocked down very easily. Didn't want to jump? Oh well. This attack makes you jump in a predictable way every single time.

Many ranged attacks are "hit scan" attacks. That means that if you had your targeting cross-hair on the enemy when you fired, you hit even if they move after you fire. The problem with this is that a lot of projectile attacks in Tera are fairly slow moving, and a character can move completely WAY out of the way before the projectile gets to them, and they still get hit... but the projectile moves like a dumb-fire rocket in a straight line, so you have all these animations for projectile attacks hitting you even though the visual for them is just going off into space 20 feet to the right of you. That looks awful.

Let's say you are a melee lancer class, and you are fighting an enemy that has lots of little minions around it that automatically attack you when you attack one of them. (Tera likes to make enemies like that a lot.) You have a lot of thrust attacks with your lance. Once you finish off the main monster, you have to poke each and every small monster. They are surrounding you though. You have to attack one, turn, attack one, turn, attack one turn. You would THINK that wouldn't be a problem except that your attack animations can be relatively slow, and holding down auto attack gives you a first attack, then a second attack, then the 3rd attack is a combo attack that hits harder, so you want to chain them if you can. You can't in situations where you need to turn between attacks though EVEN THOUGH your attack animations are slow. In this example, if you were to hold down your auto attack, you would hit the first enemy, but then if the next enemy is behind you, you can initiate the attack animation for your first attack, which locks you into it, and it will hit, and then whip your camera around before the attack animation for the first attack completes and deals damage. You would think that, since you already have the enemy that is behind you targeted, as soon as the attack animation is done, your character would whips around and the 2nd attack in the combo chain would attack the target right behind you right? Except it doesn't. It attacks randomly about 45 degrees to the side in a random direction, hitting absolutely nothing. The reason for this is because your character's facing was locked in place while the attack animation was executing, as soon as it is done, your character starts turning, but can only turn at a certain rate. Since you are holding down the button for the next attack, the game recognizes the command as being given to initiate another attack before your character has fully turned to face the enemy you want to attack even though you already have it targeted, and the game has your character just attack in the direction it happened to be facing while turning, which causes you to totally whiff your shot. I found myself having to wait for my character to turn around, pause the attack, break the combo, and THEN attack once my character is ready. Very poor design in my opinion.

I want TIGHT, fast, responsive character controls. I want my character to move the way I want it to move. I frequently felt like my character wasn't fast, and responsive enough in Tera. I would tell it to do something, but it would do something else because the character was too slow, and couldn't keep up with me. They "feel" far better to me in B&S.

2) Character customization. In Tera, all the bodies are the same unless you buy the body thigh, breast alteration items. The only thing you can change is the head, and even then, the alterations you can make to the head are not as robust as B&S. Basically B&S has a stronger character creator.

3) Trying to upgrade gear like weapons to +1, +2, +3, +4 etc, once you are getting towards the top in Tera is more infuriating than in B&S. Also, that ridiculous Masterworking system where you are just spamming masterwork enigmatic scrolls at your weapon for a very low percent chance to add the masterwork quality to your weapon as an aggravating RNG mechanic. Who thought that was a good idea? Tera: "I have less than a 50/50 chance to enhance my item when I do this. I am going to waste a bunch of materials, and money failing repeatedly to upgrade my gear." Gross. Sure B&S can also be irritating because the grocery list you need to upgrade your gear is too expensive near the end, but at least you can just upgrade your gear if you have the stuff to do it without the RNG.

4) Poor weapon animations. When your weapon is on your back in Tera, many of them are smaller. Then they are supposed to telescope out when you draw them. Then you are supposed to put them back together and put them back on your back. This is because they wanted to have ridiculously big weapons the characters couldn't even carry in Tera, which I happen to think is stupid, but that is neither here nor there. My problem with them is that when you draw the weapon or put it back on your back, it doesn't telescope back out properly. It just teleports instantly from small to large. It looks like a graphical glitch where there is just a missing animation there. In a game that pretty with a focus on your character's back... it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It also depend on what class your friend play. 

For example, I created a warlock back in the old day. As soon as I finished the story line quests with warlock, I abandoned it because I fell asleep while playing it. It is just a button smashing type of character. 

On the other hand, my blade dancer is a lot more fun as it has more mobility and has to actually dodge the attacks from mobs (no more brainless button smashing).

On 12. 2. 2018 at 10:07 AM, HateMe said:

In all honesty i still think Tera has a better combat system than BnS. BnS combat seems more.....not sure if i pick the right word...more like "static" as where tera's is more dynamic.  Specifically what i like in Tera is that oyu simply cant dps burst a boss down like you do in BnS.

Also a dedicated tank / healer class and hybrids of tank/dps are imo better worked out there than in bns. Also the publisher is much much more player friendly compared to ncsoft.

However...bns also has its appeals: fashion and the story are much better in bns. Also bns does not remove old content like tera does and they mostly have new dungeons coming out as where tera has mostly reskins of older bosses.

That being said tera is still super fun to play, especially since it requires more than a 2 button spam to kill in PVP, and their gunners arent so broken like here.

But its all personal preference.

I completely agree.

1 hour ago, NorbertTheOpinionated said:

Tera is a pretty good game. Played it all the way to max on 2 characters before starting Blade and Soul, but notice I am here and not there. Why? 4 reasons:....

1) I played Tera 2 years before BnS and I tried all classes (also new ones) and it's not true about moving. Many skill you can use while moving - mainly new classes, but also old class like archer. On lower levels some skills have limited moving while using them, but Glyphs usually cancel this limitations. It depend on class. Block and avoid skills work much better for me in Tera, but that is my opinion.

2) Yes, that is true + I hate that both Tera and BnS can have Elin/Lyn boobs only on specific costumes. XD

3) I think masterwork system was changed a little, but I'm not 100% sure.

4) I agree, but I don't see that as a problem.

My reason why I don't play Tera now is because end game content is so boring. Doing same dungeons again and again can kill fun really fast. BnS have similar problem, but new content is added more often and somehow I still enjoying visuals/graphics.

Your friend isn't very inaccurate. I also like combat in Tera more. It's more unsteady, can't spam the same rotation and clashes, hits are distinctive. Combat here, don't give me the feeling of a hit/clash and most of the time we don't even see any effect, animation ... just numbers.

I quit lineage 2 because of holy trinity and Tera release. I quit Tera because of holy trinity, along with Eu server not being handled decently.

Where your friend is completely wrong is : BnS has been getting very strict in terms of party composition and every new content is being balanced according to that meta. Parties are pretty much forced to consist of some must-have roles/classes and then dps fillers . Only difference is that those key-role classes here, do dps like any other dps/filler class. Meaning that they can also join as a dps filler ( vice versa is not possible ). So a shortage of key-role classes is not much expected.

Archived