Souba

Stuttering, Microfreezes and lag ever since the last big update...

Souba   

I'm at my wits end attempting to get this game to run properly after the last large update. I have a brand new computer, and the game was running smoothly with consistent FPS and no lag whatsoever until the last large expansion. Now I am experiencing microfreezes every 5 to 10 seconds, and skill lag, not to mention lag spikes when bosses die. Whats strange is I'm not actually having an FPS DROP, when it happens, FPS is still being reported as 60, even though the game is stuttering. I only drop below that in densely populated areas.

My system specs:
Windows 10

Core i7

NVDIA GeForce 1050Ti

8GB RAM

On top of it, mine is not the only computer in the household playing blade and soul, and all of them regardless of card type and model are experiencing this to some extent, even though we have messed with adjusting custom profile settings in the NVDIA control panel and followed various guides we've found on the forums that are supposedly meant to fix this issue, we have had no luck.

The issue is at it's absolute worst in the silverfrost area, while newer areas like Solak are seeing less stuttering for some reason. Before Solak came out, this game was running smootly and effortlessly.

I also want to mention that I can run graphically heavy games like Assassins Creed Origins on it's highest settings with no problems and Blade and Soul is the only thing giving me trouble (Besides Riders of Icarus giving me issues...but that old thing is just trouble in and of itself and always has been XD)

Edited by Souba

That confirms one of my suspicions. Those freezes most likely happen because your client completely stops your game until client receives next batch of information needed from server to continue thus creating microfreezing, stutterings and whatnot. And reason why that happens is because server is so overloaded by so many players being online and other stuff at the same time in same areas that it cannot do the calculations fast enough to provide smooth gameplay due to the different way server does these calculations. Server pretty much creates a line and does the necessary calculations for each player, one player at a time. 

And these calculations probably also includes some of the graphic data, shadows or light or texture calculations which makes the server even more so overloaded. This part i'm not sure how true it is.

RAID   
1 hour ago, Amarathiel said:

That confirms one of my suspicions. Those freezes most likely happen because your client completely stops your game until client receives next batch of information needed from server to continue thus creating microfreezing, stutterings and whatnot. And reason why that happens is because server is so overloaded by so many players being online and other stuff at the same time in same areas that it cannot do the calculations fast enough to provide smooth gameplay due to the different way server does these calculations. Server pretty much creates a line and does the necessary calculations for each player, one player at a time. 

And these calculations probably also includes some of the graphic data, shadows or light or texture calculations which makes the server even more so overloaded. This part i'm not sure how true it is.

I think you're a bit mistaken at this point.

Game data is being loaded locally, which is why you have to download all the game files. It includes textures, physics, objects etc.

The only data transferred between client and server are the world and user actions such as movement, opening boxes, storing items, drops from monsters/bosses etc.

@Souba

As long as NCSOFT doesn't provide reliable information of how or why this issue was caused with the recent patch update, we can only speculate.

But it is likely because they messed up the game data or code at some extent.

You're not the only person experiencing this problem, everyone is affected and there is no information about when or if it will be even fixed yet. Many players didn't notice this probably because the game performance wasn't stable before either. You won't notice much if you play on low-end settings for example.

Anyway.

From my personal point of view it looks like NCSOFT doesn't care much about this issue at all. They instead focus to push more content but they ignore fixing critical bugs.

Edited by RAID

Souba   

@RAID Thanks for your reply. I'm actually glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. I was afraid it was my hardware, but it just didn't make sense that two other computers of almost equivalent specs were also doing the same thing. On top of it, we were on discord with a buddy of ours who lives in another state this morning, and we were sitting there timing the freezes. ALL of us were getting them at the same time, in totally different areas of the country, so it definitely has to be the client or the server. Or even both.

I wish NCSoft would get its act together. This is absolutely game breaking. The fact that they have left the game in this state for a little over a month has driven us to barely logging in long enough to collect our daily rewards and do a few things before we get sick of the freezes and go play something else.

Maryelle   

My PC is one month old  and I am experiencing this problem. Would lodge a support request but I do not want to be told the problem is my brand new computer (it's not).

Mine too. Especially if my party has WL... They SB.. my FPS drops dramatically and messed my burst.  My system is kinda bit old but it works

-I5 3330

-Windows 8 64-bit.

-8 Gb of RAM

-GTX-1050Ti

I have been experiencing fps drops and ping issues too.. im not sure if its my internet or pc but i guess ill share here.. about 1-2weeks ago i managed to run bns with 80-100fps.. though in dungeons my fps started dropping from 80 to 20.. after that i thought my game was off so i reinstalled bns but nothing changed for the better. i died a lot of times in ns this way cause my ping also managed to reach 500ms but now it doesnt happen so often. Idk it might be just me but ive been frustrated by trying to fix my fps which i dont know why it drops so badly.. 

Astarae   

bns buddy?  wazdat? 

FWIW, I've noticed more stuttering since the new-continent addon, but it seemed to have gotten worse since the last downtime before last.  I just assumed they turned on debugging due to the increase in crashes in the client and that's why it was slower... (?)...

iCream   

i don't use any program, and after the update i can farm anymore in Basin!!! got some lag or something, and my bf too and some friends.

Fiana   
5 hours ago, Astarae said:

bns buddy?  wazdat? 

FWIW, I've noticed more stuttering since the new-continent addon, but it seemed to have gotten worse since the last downtime before last.  I just assumed they turned on debugging due to the increase in crashes in the client and that's why it was slower... (?)...

allow me to explain this,

so when new map/area load, they're not start by download the highest setting but instead, they go 1x texture > 2x > 4x > 8x > 16x depend on your graphic setting.. just like when you browse image on browser..

bns buddy can change the game setting by download texture based on your graphic setting.. so if you set max graphic, bns will render 16x from the start... this can reduce amount of suttering/load when you enter new map/area

Astarae   

Ahh....  I usually see 2 passes for things to render: 1 being fuzzed, the 2nd being "full-rez" (?).  Might be worth trying to see if it lowers stuttering.  How do I try changing it?

I'm not sure it's the same problem all the time.  In fact, I'll change my settings from 'max' to "optimize for low end PC" when I am likely to be going into multi-player battle (like on faction soul-stone battle ground south of zawii).  But even @ low graphics settings, I'll still get relatively low FPS (<30) combined with irregular, periodic 1-2 second stutters.

Not certain, but am almost certain they waiting on some net event (disk light is mostly off).  It's not necessarily lots of net traffic, but more like latency spikes (norm seems to be 130-160ms (?)).

Fiana   

and if you went, to area where player is more than 6, you should hide their character (crtl+f) this game using unreal engine 3 that can't render many rigid body all at once or heavy physics calculation

normally a game engine when they using alot physic calcuation they will use VGA, but not with unreal engine... this engine have really good graphic, easy to make animation movie, etc but limit only use 1 or 2 core from CPU for physics calculation

so i7 and gtx1080 is wasted on this game :3

unreal engine is never meant to be used in mmorpg, this engine is more suited for single player rpg (that why bns have ctrl+f feature, to hide other character)

unless korean dev decided to remake entire game from scratch... this fps drop problem won't ever be solved

Edited by Fiana

Astarae   

Dang!  Problem w/Ctrl-F is that the worst, regular response, is about 250ms during battles -- if you hide other players, its hard to avoid getting killed.  ;-(

You are saying they won't use things like CUDA for physics but put phys on CPU and at the same time limit CPU to using less than 3?

Isn't the game engine under development anymore?  I.e. if unreal engine was updated to use CUDA (I'd say it was fairly hard to split things like physics calcs across multi-cpu's since the intel chips have a large ctx-switch overhead for calculations compared to CUDA.

Thought: I wonder if any of the performance hit the basenote author is experiencing has to do with OS fixes for the latest CPU security probs -- they are admitting that a 20% hit might not be that uncommon.

Edited by Astarae
meltdown bug fix causing 20% hit, maybe related to a reinstall?