Classes utility/usefulness in a party play

Nonami

Hello,

perdon that I am asking such a question (I am inexperienced), which probably to older players are well known, but I still want to know and I couldnt really find the answer that I am looking for.

Could you guys from your experience and good understanding of the game name me lets say around 3 or 5 classes that are considered "most useful/most wanted/always welcomed" in a party play  because of their utility or something that they bring in? Yes I know that some classes are better than some others in a specialized content, but lets say the most general tendency, overall.

If you could do that, I would be very grateful. (Also I am really asking that exact question, no need to answer something like "ping, gear, whale and other unrelated stuff", I m not asking for the strongest class.

P.S. Please add a reason why that class is mentioned.

Thank you berry very much if you do answer and have a nice wintery day~

Warlock, because of Soulburn, which increases the damage of all party for some seconds, and also enables some skills that requires that buff.

Assassin, fighting spirit gives increased critical chance and damage, if I remember well..

Forcemaster and Destroyer are required in some dungeons because of their party protect.

Kung Fu and Blade Master, because some dungeons are easier if you have a specialized tank (and Kung Fu has fighting spirit too, like assassin)

Gunner can reset all those skills above ^

Let's say that Warlock, Assassin and Kung Fu Master are always welcomed

@Richtofen I dont want to be annoying with all the questions, but talking about the same topic and same question, what are your thoughts on summoner? From the info I gathered its pet is not a tank, but can substitute for a little bit in case things get hairy, also it has a heal & insta revive which could be useful if people got hit harder than usual and last, but not the least, it has a party stealth which could protect from attack of a boss. And, it has some other supportive spells, which mainly heals and restores energy. From your experience, is summoner welcomed in a party play, not really wanted "better something else" or just neutral, nothing special. Thank you!

Just now, Nonami said:

@Richtofen I dont want to be annoying with all the questions, but talking about the same topic and same question, what are your thoughts on summoner? From the info I gathered its pet is not a tank, but can substitute for a little bit in case things get hairy, also it has a heal & insta revive which could be useful if people got hit harder than usual and last, but not the least, it has a party stealth which could protect from attack of a boss. And, it has some other supportive spells, which mainly heals and restores energy. From your experience, is summoner welcomed in a party play, not really wanted "better something else" or just neutral, nothing special. Thank you!

People just don't like summoners because... summoners haha

Jokes aside (or maybe it's not a joke), the cat tank thing is complicated.. Some people like it, some don't. I'm on the group that doesn't like it. Some bosses do special attacks when the aggro holder changes.. and it's annoying. Sure, the heals and res are nice.. but people don't need it that much. It's like my soulfighter, people don't really care about healing support.. unless it's a really hard dungeon or raid.

While it is true that the heal is not really needed in most F8 parties, it is nice if someone fails, but most veterans get around without it. For raids it is nice in my opinion. Also for dark tomb, I often end up waiting for someone who is late in the corridor after the 2. boss and heal them or go back for them (although I feel I am unlucky if I go random, my FM never gets those people)

And as people tend to not use ress charms in dungeons, because why would they ^^ the ability to res someone is nice. Just be aware for your group ress you have to be dead as well, so that does not happen often. Also if they die too close to the boss you cannot res them, as you just can't them in the target. Plus if you get in a dungeon where you might really need the group ress (for me only HH for the most part), the cat might die as well and then you got nothing, because you are sacrifying you cat to ress all people, so it has to be alive.

What I actually like is the ability to do so many cc if needed, as in f8 for some reason people always rely on others to do it, and you can fill that (but you might loose some dmg for it).

We also got ranged protection, but that is hardly needed in normal dungeons, but can be nice in raids.

We can also root things, sometimes good to have (like... 1 dungeon? I feel like I am forgetting one...) 

Actually the only time I use my cat as a tank is, when ranged are playing ping pong with the aggro or go for a walk with him, as that is super annoying. You also got to keep in mind, taunt is 8 sec, cd is 12, so the boss is running around 4 seconds anyway. It is defintily nice when you would have to tank, as you know how long the taunt will last and get in and out safely.

Plus party stealth is nice, although practically not used that much in dungeons.

So I would say great utility class, but in the smaller dungeons (like up to sanctum) that kind of utility is not really needed, as the dungeons are just bursted down, where as a sum you lack damage (at first, gets better with endgame gear). Personally I still like it, so don't just base things on what is best for others, but on what playstyle you like ;)

Interesting thoughts and really appreciated. So from one of the things I understood, is that utlity that lets say soulfighter or a summoner has might be nice, but their damage isnt the best. So long story short, not so useful/demanded utility + not the greatest dps tier (very dramatic topic, please lets not talk about it) = less desired in party plays

1 minute ago, Nonami said:

Interesting thoughts and really appreciated. So from one of the things I understood, is that utlity that lets say soulfighter or a summoner has might be nice, but their damage isnt the best. So long story short, not so useful/demanded utility + not the greatest dps tier (very dramatic topic, please lets not talk about it) = less desired in party plays

It's not that their damage isn't good.. It's because they have defensive support.. not an offensive support like WL or SIN/KFM.

I see. Thanks for helping me out in understanding the ropes. Really appreciated, honestly. Lets say a destroyer class right, it has a grab, which counts as cc where nobody gets hurt and also able to perform restrain specific spells (offensive utility, because of it team deals more damage), which is similar to warlocks soulburn, but not really. And then he can perform something like shield wall for everyone not to receive any damage (defensive utility, team survives), to top of that, he has some threat/defensive skills to tank'ish and a lot of cc. So could he be called the middle ground between offensive supporter and defensive? Would a destroyer be desired in this case?

P.S. I really hope I am not getting on your nerves by asking too many newbie questions, I really appreciate all the help you've given me so far.

1 minute ago, Nonami said:

I see. Thanks for helping me out in understanding the ropes. Really appreciated, honestly. Lets say a destroyer class right, it has a grab, which counts as cc where nobody gets hurt and also able to perform restrain specific spells (offensive utility, because of it team deals more damage), which is similar to warlocks soulburn, but not really. And then he can perform something like shield wall for everyone not to receive any damage (defensive utility, team survives), to top of that, he has some threat/defensive skills to tank'ish and a lot of cc. So could he be called the middle ground between offensive supporter and defensive? Would a destroyer be desired in this case?

P.S. I really hope I am not getting on your nerves by asking too many newbie questions, I really appreciate all the help you've given me so far.

It's okay..

Grabs are not that great nowadays.. But yeah, some people might value that..

And ah, Destroyer doesnt have threat.. only BM's and KFM's have it. And WL's and SUM's can spec taunt, but it has time limit.

Doing a summary of everything that was discussed, if you have high ap and BT gear, you will be requested.. doesnt matter your class.. People like high dps.

But sometimes they will let WL's, SIN's and tanks(You still need some dps to hold aggro as a tank) enter with low damage just because they can help the team clear the dungeon faster.

Archived