Promoting B&S esports

Shuchin

I know the forum is constantly monitored for community ideas so I thought I might drop this here:

There's some really good esports meta websites out there, but Blade and Soul has poor visibility on them. Hardly any articles on B&S, and even our prize pools are not correctly reflected.

For example this site: https://www.esportsearnings.com/tips

Only the worlds tournaments have been covered at all, despite the NCWest tournaments prize pools being almost equivalent in size. If NCWest could reach out to those websites with press releases, I think the standing of the game could be much improved, both concerning sponsors, income from ads and player base.

Just my 2 Silvers. (-_^)

If a gaming company can't fully support/hold an esports event by itself, then what's the point?

Remember that prior to last year's world tournament, NCwest had to get the prize pools from the players in game by making an "RNG box" event. They even clearly stated that if the prize pools didn't reach to the level they desired, they would cancel the tournaments in NA/EU region.

No company holds an esports event by itself. They don't have "spare" money lying around to spend as they wish.

The money always has to come from somewhere. But of course there are options:

- Income from advertisement, or indirectly via licencing to broadcasters (B&S is not big enough yet for that)

- Sponsors (look at Corsair's contribution and you see we would neeed hyperexponential growth on this before it could generate notable prize pools)

- Investment funding (some esports organizations can do that, but when you are starting up and your genre is not as established in esports as MOBA or 1stperson shooters, I doubt any bank is gonna loan you a million with insecure returns about half a decade off)

- Company pays out of their own profits (Blade & Soul devs are not more stupid than banks, so this would be small until they see their investment feeds back into their income, e.g. via higher player base)

- Crowdfunding (advantage here is that those players that are interested in PvP contribute, while people who don't care do not have to. More fair than taking this out of the Premium membership revenue, e.g.)

Biggest advantage I see in the crowdfunding thing is: it instantly produced a big prize pool, which has a much larger chance of being noticed in the scene. If you look at the esportsearnings site, adding the NCWEST 2017 prize pools to the total would bring Blade and Soul already to the top ranks of both the MMORPG and the Fighting Game category. That is huge and should be communicated in some way to the gaming and especially esports press.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2018 at 6:33 PM, phaZZi said:

can only say "yay!" :D

@FrozenB 

it is that hard to organize a tournament if u are interested :D

This tournament was held in korea. You know NCwest (gaming company that hold NA/US servers) is just a sub-division from NCsoft company. NCsoft company is a big gaming company in Asia.

That's why we had something like "RNG box event to sponsor the players who won in the NA/US region." They even set a target of minimum amount of money need to be reached. If this was not successful, then NA/EU region would be exempted from the world tournament.

• NCSOFT
On 1/11/2018 at 7:56 AM, Shuchin said:

There's some really good esports meta websites out there, but Blade and Soul has poor visibility on them. Hardly any articles on B&S, and even our prize pools are not correctly reflected.

For example this site: https://www.esportsearnings.com/tips

Only the worlds tournaments have been covered at all, despite the NCWest tournaments prize pools being almost equivalent in size. If NCWest could reach out to those websites with press releases, I think the standing of the game could be much improved, both concerning sponsors, income from ads and player base.

Just my 2 Silvers. (-_^)

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I had never seen that site myself before, but certainly can see if we can provide them more of our info. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, whippleshuffle said:

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I had never seen that site myself before, but certainly can see if we can provide them more of our info. 

any update on this? I checked the website I mentioned and they still only include the world championships but seem ignorant of the regionals despite their big prize pools. Not sure about the RU regionals, but I know their seasonal tournaments are similar to Rumble, so maybe that would also boost B&S presence if it was included?

Archived