Adding blade and soul to steam

GrimmxD

I would agree with you, but if anything, it would make BnS loose players. Don't get me wrong, I love Blade & Soul, but people would slaughter it in reviews with "p2w" and "the Dev team doesn't care/always screws up" comments.

3 hours ago, MukiTwo said:

I would agree with you, but if anything, it would make BnS loose players. Don't get me wrong, I love Blade & Soul, but people would slaughter it in reviews with "p2w" and "the Dev team doesn't care/always screws up" comments.

I agree. For most games, putting them on Steam is a double-edged sword in that it CAN potentially get more new people into the game, bolstering the population, but anyone who knows the shadier sides of the game will butcher it in the reviews, alongside other like-minded individuals. I like AND hate the game for a variety of reasons, and I wouldn't mince words there, in a Steam review, as I do here. I love the cosmetics and a good bit of the single-player/story content, along with some of the events, but I will say what needs to be said about the RNG boxes, crappy trove crits (not their frequency, but the SAME exact contents listed in almost EVERY trove crit that isn't the guaranteed 40th "roll"), etc..

A lot of people consider me a whale after checking out my gear, but I work for most of my stuff, save up tokens to buy the buy able upgrades that I CAN afford when I can't get raid-related stuff, etc.. I consider myself more of a whale when it comes to the cosmetics, and I've shamelessly/shamefully spent waaaay too much money on BNS. So based on how I play and enjoy BNS, I'll convey such things in my Steam reviews. I wouldn't say BNS is completely "P2W", even though I strongly feel like it is. I feel more like I've been given opportunities, through events and Hongmoon Store sales, to progress with my character's gear upgrades a little faster than I would as a purely free-to-play player. In SOME games, not having a cash shop or a faster means to gain certain tokens or currency CAN hurt a game a little. I like "Hyper Universe", which is a side-scrolling "2.5D" moba, but it's such a drag trying to grind for ANYTHING in that game for the things you'd want. To get a new character, skin, emote, or avatar portrait, you can spend currency and/or "craft" it with a certain number of different, various tokens, etc.. For a character, you CAN just spend the currency if you have it, but it takes so long to build up enough to do that. The grind wouldn't be so bad if each match didn't have ultra-intelligent AI controlling ALL of the opposing team with a ridiculously unbeatable team composition that your badly-coordinated PUG struggles against for an hour or so, and takes forever to beat OR lose againsy, just for a few hundred of that currency when you need 15K to buy the character you have your eye on. The skins don't just drop - you need to get enough tokens for that specific skin, have a certain number of a resource of one of the three colors, and have a certain rare drop token that seems ridiculously rare, along with some currency. I'd rather have a cash shop for at least cosmetics, and only have a problem with cash shops that offer advantages to wallet warriors when it comes to pvp. If someone wants to spend a buttload of money to beef up their character for pve reasons, that just helps everyone else out in the party or raid. Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangeant here. Steam would definitely both help and hurt the numbers of new players, but ultimately, it might be just the kick in the hindquarters that NC needs to heed what people actually say when it comes to feedback, both good and bad, whereas in these forums, a lot of people feel that NC does not listen to what we say or care about our feedback. At least the reviews on Steam will carry more weight for one simple reason: every game on Steam has a rating indicator that shows how many reviews are posted, and it shows things like whether or not they are "overwhelmingly" positive or negative, or "mixed". That alone would make Steam feedback worthwhile to the guys running the game. Hmmm... I'm guessing this is WHY we don't see BNS on Steam...? XD. ♡♡♡

2 hours ago, Shunaia said:

I'm guessing

The basic digital distribution fee is 30% from the income. Why you would pass 30% of your income, if you have your own distribution channel and you are not in need to get another customers?

The main advantage of Steam is to create awareness or to broaden it, if you look at it purely from an advertising point of view. As popular as BNS is amongst people who are in-the-know or at least have played other mmorpgs before, not as many people are even aware that the game exists, when you factor in other people. Some people who are purely console gamers had never heard of BNS, and I had to explain and describe BNS to quite a few of such people. Some people might not just be new to MMORPGs, but even pc gaming itself, so there's that group. Once someone discovers the advantages of game store websites like GOG, Humble Store, Green Man Gaming, isthereanydeal.com, and Steam, they'll be amazed over how they can sometimes find a game that normally goes for $60, but costs only $0.49 on some site's flash sale, or even for free. The next best thing is PSN if you're only on consoles, where you can get games for free, monthly, with a subscription. At any rate, a new PC gamer would eventually discover Steam, see and buy a bunch of games that he or she has always wanted, and THEN see "recommend games" that will eventually lead to other games on the shelf, like BNS. It sparks awareness where the awareness that the game even existed had never occurred before this person got their PC, and it'll also lead them to other games they might like. Until I built my first PC, I would never have known about mmorpg's like "Everquest", which would eventually lead me to Final Fantasy XI, WoW, GW1 and GW2, as well as Warhammer Online, LOTRO, Tera, Neverwinter, FFXIV, Rift, BDO, PSO2, DDO, etc.. The same thing happened to me with GTA4. I didn't think I'd love that game so much, but after beating it, I just had to play other open world sandbox games like it. It lead me to SR2, then SR1, then SR3, and SR4, as well as The Saboteur, Prototype, Farcry 3, Just Cause 2 and 3, Red Dead Redemption, GTA5, Infamous 1 and 2, etc.. Steam is like Netflix in that once you find one thing you like, you'll want more like that, in whatever shape and form you can find it. For me, Phantasy Star Online on the Sega Dreamcast, with a dial-up connection was MY first mmorpg until I played Everquest. In this day and age, PSO1 and PSO2 are classified as ARPGs, if you want to get technical with their respective genres, but my point's been made, I hope. Hehe

Sparking and creating awareness is just part of how advertising works, and the BEST advertising is FREE advertising, which is "word of mouth". However, in cases where the circles of people you often frequent aren't aware of something like BNS, an advertising "vehicle" such as Steam can really do the job. I had never heard of a lot of games until I built my first PC, as I mentioned before. Just imagine how much more the gaming world opens up to someone who starts to browse Steam's enormous catalogue of games for the first time. It's like getting caught in a YouTube vortex. You can't just watch ONE video of Jack Vale pranking Walmart shoppers with his "pooter" gag toy, when he makes that thing sound like he's blowing out realistic sounding farts - you gotta binge watch the others and watch some over again with friends. lol

Archived