So....waifu and baka are now considered inappropriate names?

BirdSpirit

21 minutes ago, Milennin said:

Lol, I've seen far more inappropriate names in the game than those...

These things are usually done by starting with a list of 'what is super obvious to the given dev making this list given that dev's dialect of the language' and then get added to as people file reports on them.

Just think of how many words are perfectly normal in one English speaking country but foul in another. Whatever English speaking country you're in - the list of words on that score will surprise you. Now if you add in slang-like terms people adopt from Korea, China, and Japan - and then have random devs in assorted English language countries try to filter them... all kinds of stuff will slip through.

So not every word someone else can think of will already be pre-screened for - but if somebody reports it, it might get the proper response as noted in the first post of this thread.

I think it's a mistake(bug) and we will get our names back. The GM that handles my ticket gave me my name back

Waifu not rude word

My original issues and why I sent ticket in the first place was: I couldnt mail my gems to my alt xD

blacklisting sequences of letters within a string.. just how long until the chat and forums no longer allow words like harass? glass, CLASS because it has a bad word in ALL of them?

is this some 4 year olds going back in time to program in TRS-DOS in 1980s trying to manage this system, because this is the kind of elementary level coding you would find then from novice programmers that just learned how to

0 cls

5 screen 0,0,0

10 print "Hello World."

20 end

an admin needs to hurry and remove all instances of "class" and "classes" from this entire website because both contain an offensive word!

It's most likely certain letters in a sequence, and it doesn't necessarily need to be in English for the filters to aggro over them. The word, "waifu", is just a meme, but "baka" is a "harsh" word in Japanese, and is NOT limited to "idiot" or "dummy" like how a lot of English-localized/dubbed anime has most of the world thinking. Depending on the context, the word's use could convey varying degrees of negativity. The same goes for certain words in Tagalog, Cantonese, and Mandarin, where the latter two are "tonal" languages, which ADDS variables into context. The Japanese client for BNS used to accept the word "baka" in the naming filters, but that was a long while back. I haven't tried it since then, but it's not like I want to be lazy with naming my characters. w

I'm only kidding, but a GM might have even felt that your character names were like that, though. I've seen a lot of people go with different names and just use the same surname for them all, or use names like "Mule One", "Mule Two", etc..

The Reddit entry linked in this thread earlier had a title that said something like "NCSOFT hates weebs!", which I thought was kind of funny, given how weeb-centric this game is, just by design. The thing is, who actually LIKES weebs...? w

♡♡♡

PWI did some Chinese censoring and it didn't go well

my pal ArchieRo had no idea what his name meant if you removed the A and the R from the front. we learned that is some bad word in china and his name got axed out of the blue.

[Removed by Amraith] You published these games in English, so that's what you censor.   so is chewbaka a bad word? it is a loveable fuzzy wuzzy big ole teddy bear wookie to us

is firetruck an illegal word because you can carefully remove some letters and make a swear word out of it, total 3rd grade style?

BOTTOM LINE

those Japanese etc words are gibberish syllables to me and the rest of the English oriented playerbase, so cut the crap.

furthermore, if you are going to start picking Japanese words, you better get all the tagalog(sp?) words, or Korean words,  german words, the French words, the Portuguese words, the Spanish words, the Italian words, the greek words, the hebrew words, the Arabic words, the Russian words, the Serbian words, the Hungarian words, the Romanian words, the Slovak words, the 100's of dialects spoken in india words, bantu, and the other who knows how many dialects throughout Africa words, Nepalese words, mandarin words, the other Chinese dialect words, viet words, eskimo inuit words, Cherokee words,  Swedish words, finnish words,  and the ton of other languages' words

8 hours ago, CharlieIsBoss said:

PWI did some Chinese censoring and it didn't go well

my pal ArchieRo had no idea what his name meant if you removed the A and the R from the front. we learned that is some bad word in china and his name got axed out of the blue.

[Removed by Amraith] You published these games in English, so that's what you censor.   so is chewbaka a bad word? it is a loveable fuzzy wuzzy big ole teddy bear wookie to us

is firetruck an illegal word because you can carefully remove some letters and make a swear word out of it, total 3rd grade style?

BOTTOM LINE

those Japanese etc words are gibberish syllables to me and the rest of the English oriented playerbase, so cut the crap.

furthermore, if you are going to start picking Japanese words, you better get all the tagalog(sp?) words, or Korean words,  german words, the French words, the Portuguese words, the Spanish words, the Italian words, the greek words, the hebrew words, the Arabic words, the Russian words, the Serbian words, the Hungarian words, the Romanian words, the Slovak words, the 100's of dialects spoken in india words, bantu, and the other who knows how many dialects throughout Africa words, Nepalese words, mandarin words, the other Chinese dialect words, viet words, eskimo inuit words, Cherokee words,  Swedish words, finnish words,  and the ton of other languages' words

Anyway, Their system flagged these names as inappropriate, and they are investigating on it. also All these Gelly names got turned back to original names. 

Archived