Forums

Does loot box rulings factor into BnS and kill the RNG model, and Trove events?

seems legal machine is in the works after a recent "loot box" incident and is deciding it is illegal in the US, aka NA. How will this affect NCSoft games like Blade and Soul?

What parts of the game does it affect;  Trove events only?  Hongmoon Store Pet Pouches? Mastery/Starter Packs with RNG boxes in them? weapon drops? soul shields?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuucXb5yBvs

wouldnt this kill just about the whole of the RNG model of B&S, since it was mentioned it would even target CCGs?

Serious questions and would like serious answers/discussion, since i hope B&S is around long enough to see "WTF is Mushin even doing?"

i am sorry, i have no idea what you are talking about or how it pertains to what i said?

i am talking about the legal issues revolving around "loot box" type RNG purchases in video games and how they affect BnS.

Edited by Shadzar

Good lord, I hope this will make NCSoft change their ways and that it does have an effect, so that we can just buy certain cosmetics straight out of the store. I'm so tired of RNG garbage (I don't participate in it, but its irritating to have things I'd buy multiples of straight out locked behind a RNG wall)

But given the nature of the beast I have little hopes of the law actually getting passed.

I'll get back to you with a better answer when I can sit down and watch the full video.

Too early to say.

We have a generalized set of rulings in a few districts, followed up by some other legal jurisdictions saying they are going to start looking into whether or not the same tactics could be used in their courts or legislative houses.

I'd say we're another year or two out before there is enough case history and new law for companies to feel they need to address this in any consistent manner. The wind is in the sails now for a change - but the change isn't here yet.

• Like 1

They can simply slap a label on the game saying 18+ or like mobile games do , inform of gamble and other microtransactions, or require parental consent and problem solved.

Just because some lawyer tries something doesnt mean it will definetely go through. And even if you still look at at least 2 years before its legal everywhere else, not to mention the EU version falls under the EU regulations so....

12 minutes ago, Grimoir said:

They can simply slap a label on the game saying 18+ or like mobile games do , inform of gamble and other microtransactions, or require parental consent and problem solved.

Just because some lawyer tries something doesnt mean it will definetely go through. And even if you still look at at least 2 years before its legal everywhere else, not to mention the EU version falls under the EU regulations so....

not really "problem solved" that stuff is a band-aid solution at best, BnS already has an 18+ label to begin with and you can see how that has helped, we need something better than that

28 minutes ago, GonnaNeedaMontage said:

not really "problem solved" that stuff is a band-aid solution at best, BnS already has an 18+ label to begin with and you can see how that has helped, we need something better than that

BnS does not have a 18+ label. BnS is rated 'M' for mature which is 17+

What would happen if RNG box are removed ?

Instead of income from troves it will be income from gold selling and maybe more expensive cosmetics.

They will nerf the gold income for every dungeons so that you have to buy gold from F9.

Oops it already happened.

4 hours ago, GonnaNeedaMontage said:

Bur I am sure it would cause a lot of anger in the community and the forums would be flooded with hate, hopefully causing NC to make things better

No, As far as I know, Korea and Russia by law has to show % on Any Gambling type "all companies to disclose the probabilities of gambling-type items"; the law applies to video games" And their games have not died, So what makes you think it will die here?. 

It would only affect paid forms. Loot boxes within dungeons would work and be allowed, fine. It's the "charging for a chance to gain something worth the monetary value spent" that all of these rules and regulations are going to care about.

I'm confident they could put many different type systems in place which would benefit the player along with bringing them the same, if not more revenue than before. Skyforge has a neat system called 'Promotions' which is a bar you need to get to certain areas, each time you progress through the bar by spending the currency you will get an item and at milestones, you get special/rare goods. From my understanding, they do very well and that's something I wouldn't mind BNS adopting.

Other things could be making the boxes give everything listed within it, with a chance to get tradable options. Another option is to just outright sell the items, but of course, a randomised chance with people going in for different things is something they may want to keep - and they can be fun to open. There is no chance listed for these boxes, at all. We get told it is 'rare' but it doesn't tell you that you have 0.02% chance to obtain such an item. I work within the industry and have designed RNG gatcha boxes myself, there are always items which contain 50/60% chances compared to a 'legendary' which has a chance of 0. something, or even 0.0 something dependant on the box and the number of items that it contains.

It'd be interesting to see what BNS decides to go with. I'd happily pay for dozens of items outright if I had the chance.

On 12/12/2017 at 2:51 AM, SayhaSeer said:

No, As far as I know, Korea and Russia by law has to show % on Any Gambling type "all companies to disclose the probabilities of gambling-type items"; the law applies to video games" And their games have not died, So what makes you think it will die here?. 

Nowhere in that line is the word "die" even written, i never said die, stop twisting my words to suit your argument, you are also thinking of China, not Russa and Korea. I said that if the current percentages were displayed, I imagine that there would be quite a lot of anger in the NA/EU community, which hopefully, might lead to some positive changes for the game. actually read what i wrote before putting words in my mouth

On 10.12.2017 at 1:10 AM, KlausFlouride said:

IF they posted the actual percentages the game would end overnight.

The Fun fact is, if they would post the percantages, some ppl would test this and we would see that they just even fool us more, cause loot boxes Run with algorythms that are made to keep things safe for the company. there is no real random generator, /roll 100 is RNG but lootboxes not.

5 hours ago, GonnaNeedaMontage said:

Nowhere in that line is the word "die" even written, i never said die, stop twisting my words to suit your argument, you are also thinking of China, not Russa and Korea. I said that if the current percentages were displayed, I imagine that there would be quite a lot of anger in the NA/EU community, which hopefully, might lead to some positive changes for the game. actually read what i wrote before putting words in my mouth

Even with percentages disclosed and minuscule chances to get the good stuff people won't stop purchasing those boxes.

As far as anger goes, they probably don't care (anymore), people get angry and whine for compensation over something new every week.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:19 AM, Grimoir said:

They can simply slap a label on the game saying 18+

no, the law if passed will require gambling type mechanics such as loot boxes to be 21+ only. Also makign the game rated A for Adult... ergo pr0n in the eyes of anyone looking at games.

But as someone said elsehwere maybe that means they would revert the outfits back to the more scantily clad versions of the Asian servers. :rofl:

1 hour ago, Shadzar said:

no, the law if passed will require gambling type mechanics such as loot boxes to be 21+ only. Also makign the game rated A for Adult... ergo pr0n in the eyes of anyone looking at games.

But as someone said elsehwere maybe that means they would revert the outfits back to the more scantily clad versions of the Asian servers. :rofl:

True. what i find hilarious tho....every time there is a rng box, there is a complain topic on forums on how its a scam etc yet...here everyone is buying the boxes like candy xD

On 14/12/2017 at 4:02 AM, Stacey Banks said:

Even with percentages disclosed and minuscule chances to get the good stuff people won't stop purchasing those boxes.

As far as anger goes, they probably don't care (anymore), people get angry and whine for compensation over something new every week.

Personally, I think that if the situation with EA and Battlefront 2 tells us anything, its that if you ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ off enough people, those people might actually fight back

9 hours ago, GonnaNeedaMontage said:

Personally, I think that if the situation with EA and Battlefront 2 tells us anything, its that if you ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ off enough people, those people might actually fight back

Tbh, I don't understand why there's such big drama around Battlefront now. There are lots of other games that do exactly the same, still people keep buying loot crates.

I'm pretty sure when Xmas is thru and EA sold some copies of BF, they'll enable micro transactions and loot boxes again, cos despite all the outrage there's still lots of $$$ to be made here.

Edited by Stacey Banks
On 13/12/2017 at 9:34 AM, Lata said:

The Fun fact is, if they would post the percantages, some ppl would test this and we would see that they just even fool us more, cause loot boxes Run with algorythms that are made to keep things safe for the company. there is no real random generator, /roll 100 is RNG but lootboxes not.

Actually there isnt such "algorithm that are made to keep things safe", they control they entire "safeness" by chosing the correct percents for each item, every item in a box have different %. I have seen various games where the items which worth had > 1/2000 chance, so no they dont need anything dirty to win here.

Usually they dont give you the % because they know many people would avoid it if they knew that it had a 1/2000 chance, even so some people gamble at the loto which is worse than those random boxes, so I dont think it will ever stop.

1 hour ago, caioc2 said:

Usually they dont give you the % because they know many people would avoid it if they knew that it had a 1/2000 chance, even so some people gamble at the loto which is worse than those random boxes, so I dont think it will ever stop.

It gets worse.

NOW, if a whale has something with a sick near-zero chance of winning  (like PWI had stuff that was like 0.002% and maybe even 0.0005%) if you were THEE one with that item, you  were the bee's knees on your server and all the little orcas wished it was them, the Cinderella story, the owner of the flying carpet...

you also , in no small way, can tell the world that you are filthy rich, and this makes you superior (cuz that's all u have going for u)..I guess..

On 12/15/2017 at 7:10 PM, CharlieIsBoss said:

this makes you superior

this is just a problem with over-competitive games like BnS. there is a good PVE game in there that shouldnt take all this eSport garbage, but they wont separate it like Daybreak did for H1Z1.

anotehr case of not hitting your target audience, they though everyone in NA would want some cutesy charactr fightig  game, but the most people that want the cute, aren't into the eSport and vice versa.

Most female gamers want a cute game to be cute, and a fighting game to be blood and gore... not one game trying to be both.

which boils down into cultures, not only with the style of game, which BnS is not a NA MMO style of game; but in the RNG things since NA doesnt have pachinko parlors lining every street corner.. that is where Starbucks is...