Golden Flower - Copied?

Lumiru

You're correct, we're all entitled to own opinions. You think it's 90% identical thus plagiarized, thus... you're trying to convince those who read this with evidence that this is plagiarized and should be punished. I'll say this. I didn't go and search out pictures that are similar to the design, in short all I know is what I skimmed and what images I see on this thread. And whatever evidence and images that was posted here is not enough for me to think that it's plagiarized. You chose to fob off my argument points with 'those who choose to ignore it will come up with excuses' and then followed it up with 'facts I stated and providing evidence for it'. The evidence in which I had just provided arguments against?

To convince people you have to provide a solid argument and link it up with good evidence. Your argument is sound, it's really good, the evidence however is lacking. To my PoV you're like a barrister shouting at the defendant 'He's the murder! The evidence is this knife he owns'. And when we look closer at the knife, the knife wounds it inflicts doesn't match up with the knife wounds on the victim, in short you'll convince those who don't examine it but won't convince those of us who do look closely.

In the evidence you've given, every circled part... is either A) Different and can only be argued to be similar or B) Similar only because it from the same source, AKA Japanese styled

Is it 90% similar? I don't think so... it looks similar I'll give you that, but what's the design? It's a long sleeved short skirt hakama design in purple gold and red with a teal gold obi bow and white socks and purple platform geta. Your top left evidence? That's a traditional kimono in black white and red with different patterns, with a turquoise gold obi, no socks and zori shoes? Bottom left evidence: Snow white hakama with ?one sleeve? and armwraps with a cloak and a purple gold obi with a big bell, white socks and purple platform geta shoes.

You can look at them and say they're very similar, but they are completely different. The basic idea of this costume may be the same as the evidence pictures, but what came out is different.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AmatsuDF said:

If the design isn't disqualified and the submitter banned, then we should vote with our wallets instead and not pay for it should it win.

I think having costumes based on an eastern culture is great. I don't know why having western coats and normal pants is okay in an Asian MMO, but then something Asian is not. We wouldn't have this conversation if the person used different coloring.

4 hours ago, Raindeavour said:

I see that there are still a lot of people who do not understand the difference between "inspired by" and "copying/plagiarism". Yes, at this point in time, you can hardly find something that is completely original. Almost every design out there is inspired by something. We create designs inspired by nature, by events, by weather, by trends, by personalities etc etc the possibilities are endless. However, when you are straight up copying from an existing ARTWORK down to the style, design, color combination etc - you're stepping into the realm of plagiarism. Here are some key differences between "inspired by" and "plagiarism".

YYhOqzg.jpg

If the artist created her design based on existing FASHION ITEMS and CULTURAL DESIGNS, but added her own twist and touch, that's "inspired by". 

mizgH1k.jpg

If the artist created her design based on some elements in EXISTING ARTWORKS, but tweaked the design to add in her own design/personalities/flair, then it's "inspired by".

4oQEsRp.jpg 

If the artist created her design by copying off EXISTING ARTWORK without changing the color, style, design, then it is "plagiarism".

Again, my purpose of writing these is to highlight the issue of "plagiarism". I am not bashing or hating on the artist. As a designer and educator, I think it is very important for up and coming artists or designers to know the difference between "inspired" and "plagiarized", and for the public to not condone the act of plagiarizing. Imagine you are the original artist of these works, and now someone else had copied your design and win awards/competitions, how would you feel? I believe most artists out there agree that it isn't pleasant to have your hard work ripped off.

This is a serious issue in the art community and has been for many years. Even this artist herself stated in her deviantart page telling people to NOT COPY her artworks. Therefore, she should've known better to not copy from others, ESPECIALLY for a competition. Many of you here are saying that "don't nitpick, just enjoy", "toxic community", "why hate" - let me reiterate, this isn't a personal attack on the artist. I am just pointing out an issue. If you are not a content creator yourself, you probably find it difficult to understand how it feels to have your work ripped off by other people. Even though this competition is a small one, it isn't something international and the prizes aren't worth millions but it is STILL A COMPETITION. Submitting a plagiarized work to pass off as your own isn't the right thing to do. Please do not disregard this issue or think that it's fine because it doesn't affect you.

“The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one.”

im glade you putting all this effort on this design now do on all of the others treat them with the same intent you have for this one be fair stop singling out one design investigate all the other designs other wise this is purely baised. Cause if you wont do it for all them this form should closed cause its not helping and its tainting the voting pool no matter whos design your attacking.

8 hours ago, Raindeavour said:

*Snip*

Notice how you're only actually able to point out 4 instances of "plagiarism" on the outfit, but are able to find multiple parts that are inspired by other outfits, far more parts than are "plagiarized", thereby proving the point that all outfits of this type are inspired by eachother.

Like, its so minuscule, you're really making a huge deal out of....nothing. She didn't trace it. If she'd picked different colors no one would be whining about this anyway. And FYI color combinations aren't something you can copyright.

The problem here is that the artist has sourced all the reference material from one work, not several. It is easy to discern exactly which element came from where within the Onmyouji artwork. 

There is indeed a broad spectrum of Japanese cultural clothing and various styles and designs throughout the multitudes of tropes and themes. However, that only highlights the fact that every duplicate element can be found in one source; the Onmyouji art. 

There is an infinite amount of variations that the artist could have done to derive from the reference and create something new in their own style. 
- a different color theme
- shape of the collar
- different method of folding the obi (there is much more than the butterfly 'cho musubi')
- different tabi socks, bare feet, thigh highs, lace, boots..
- different method of tying the shimenawa (the rope in a bow at the back)
- different style ties for the decorative knots
- different pattern instead of a gold higanbana flower, perhaps chrysanthemum.. 

etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Souba said:

Notice how you're only actually able to point out 4 instances of "plagiarism" on the outfit, but are able to find multiple parts that are inspired by other outfits, far more parts than are "plagiarized", thereby proving the point that all outfits of this type are inspired by eachother.

Inspiration is broad, replication is narrow. 

Your statement is contradictory and confused. Inspiration can come from a loose and broad spectrum of ideas, while plagiarism would be identical and thus a narrower field. Of course it's easier to point out multiple areas that can inspired by any random source out there.

After the original reddit post, Raindeavour has done a detailed breakdown of the duplicate areas. I seriously admire their dedication and patience in explaining over and over again. Many kudos to them~

3 hours ago, Teijin said:

im glade you putting all this effort on this design now do on all of the others treat them with the same intent you have for this one be fair stop singling out one design investigate all the other designs other wise this is purely baised. Cause if you wont do it for all them this form should closed cause its not helping and its tainting the voting pool no matter whos design your attacking.

I am not the original poster of this thread, nor am I the one who started the Reddit thread. I am just a passerby who happen to feel very strongly about plagiarism and art theft, and chanced upon this topic so I gave my opinion. I doubt the person who questioned this entry in the first place went through the trouble of scouring the internet up and down to find something that this entry resembles; they probably thought that the entry looked awfully similar to another game's design that they know which prompted them to asked the question. 

Now this is BnS community, there are a lot of gamers/artists here who will most probably point it out if they find any other entry eerily similar to other arts they've seen before too. If and when that time comes, and the other entry is in fact copying from existing artwork(s), I will say the same thing about it as well. I'm not biased, nor am I trying to "attack" this particular artist. I'm sorry if you feel that way, but I am just stating facts and trying my best to explain what is plagiarism and why it isn't something that should be overlooked or condoned. 

11 hours ago, Liedral said:

You're correct, we're all entitled to own opinions. You think it's 90% identical thus plagiarized, thus... you're trying to convince those who read this with evidence that this is plagiarized and should be punished. I'll say this. I didn't go and search out pictures that are similar to the design, in short all I know is what I skimmed and what images I see on this thread. And whatever evidence and images that was posted here is not enough for me to think that it's plagiarized. You chose to fob off my argument points with 'those who choose to ignore it will come up with excuses' and then followed it up with 'facts I stated and providing evidence for it'. The evidence in which I had just provided arguments against?

To convince people you have to provide a solid argument and link it up with good evidence. Your argument is sound, it's really good, the evidence however is lacking. To my PoV you're like a barrister shouting at the defendant 'He's the murder! The evidence is this knife he owns'. And when we look closer at the knife, the knife wounds it inflicts doesn't match up with the knife wounds on the victim, in short you'll convince those who don't examine it but won't convince those of us who do look closely.

In the evidence you've given, every circled part... is either A) Different and can only be argued to be similar or B) Similar only because it from the same source, AKA Japanese styled

Is it 90% similar? I don't think so... it looks similar I'll give you that, but what's the design? It's a long sleeved short skirt hakama design in purple gold and red with a teal gold obi bow and white socks and purple platform geta. Your top left evidence? That's a traditional kimono in black white and red with different patterns, with a turquoise gold obi, no socks and zori shoes? Bottom left evidence: Snow white hakama with ?one sleeve? and armwraps with a cloak and a purple gold obi with a big bell, white socks and purple platform geta shoes.

You can look at them and say they're very similar, but they are completely different. The basic idea of this costume may be the same as the evidence pictures, but what came out is different.

Even though she did not base her artwork off of one single image, but she still copied certain parts in full off multiple images all from the same game. According to your logic, if I create an artwork by copying the shoes of sailormoon (same color same style), the top of Misa from Death note (down to every strand of the lace details), the skirt and one sided earring of Yuna from Final Fantasy (same shape, design, and color) and compile them into one single outfit, I can call that my own original design? I wouldn't. That is copying at best, not designing at all. 

That is what is happening here. The artist may not copy ONE artwork in full, but her work can hardly count as her own original design - because she is copying different parts from different source of references. When I said copy, I mean copy in full - down to the color, texture, shape and size. As for B) Similar only because it's from the same source aka Japanese Styles - really? There are hundreds and thousands of different resources, drawings, photographs, illustrations out there on the net on Japanese Styles. Why are ALL of the similarities of her design come from the SAME source? (Onmyoji) You can argue from this point all day long but ask yourself this: Do you really REALLY think that when she was designing her artwork, she wasn't looking at the references images of Onmyoji, she just had in mind the generic Zori, Tabi, Obi, rope knot etc and somehow the artwork she created just look SIMILAR to Onmyoji's down to the color selection, size and placement just because she's creating a "Japanese Style" outfit? 

Since you said that all my circle parts of the breakdown are either A or B, tell me what you think of these:

nMS9ONa.jpg

1. Is this A or B? Same raised collar, white and golden yellow stripes, two japanese knots of the same shape same color at the same position. Same japanese knot of the same size at the bottom of both images, with the same golden yellow piece at the back. Both sleeves start at the same position with white inner layer and blue outer layer. 

7Z2S9EI.jpg

2. Is this A or B? Same sandals, same socks, same colors, even same length. Same mini pleated skirt (okay different color), same ribbon shape (ok again different color) But the overall design other than the slight color changes, is this not the same DESIGN at first glance? 

oN4cCv4.gif

3. Don't see how the ribbon is the same? Here, have a little overlay action. Is this A or B?

hyhoeCG.gif

4. But she didn't copy the bell on the ribbon!! Surely that makes the whole thing different!!! What about this Japanese knot from another image of the SAME GAME? Is this A or B? Have a little bit more of overlay fun~ If they are such common Japanese/Chinese adornment, why do they both overlap almost 100% perfectly? There are so many ways to draw a Japanese knot, why this particular shape, size, color? Why do the Obi have the same tone of teal and gold? I would do more eyedropper comparison but I'm just lazy at this point. It's obvious to the naked eyes.

twyz2KP.jpg

5. How about the shoes? Are these A or B? Note the same thickness of the base, same length of the socks, and even same design at the same position on top. Let's pick some colors using the color picker tool.... oh what do we know?! Look at the difference of the colors, can you even tell the difference?!

UtzRifa.jpg

6. What about this, A or B? Are dangling knots such a common design on Kimono/Yukata? I tried googling for similar designs. The keywords I used included "Japanese Knot Kimono Sleeves", "Yukata with Japanese Knot"... but I did not find anything remotely similar to this style. Maybe you can point me to the right direction?

tM9iUke.jpg

7. Is this A or B? Too bad I couldn't find the backview of this particular character from Onmyoji, or else I could have some more overlay fun! Same color, same style, okay okay Shiro's ribbon is slightly lower - YOU GOT ME! This is totally different!!! /s

Basically, other than the hair, everything on the female design were copied from artworks from Onmyoji. I think that constitute 90% similarity if not more. 

There are many ways of referencing from a source of inspiration, what she's doing isn't referencing in my book. If you feel like I was fobbing off your opinion with my choice of words, I'm sorry you feel that way. Like I mentioned again and again, every one are entitled to their own opinions. But in my OWN personal opinion, those who are arguing that this is not a case of plagiarism is clearly being ignorant. I do not understand how one can fail to see how she is blatantly copying from the artworks of Onmyoji. Almost every artist I've talked to feel the same. You can feel free to think the same about me, I won't be offended. 

3 hours ago, Khaen said:

After the original reddit post, Raindeavour has done a detailed breakdown of the duplicate areas. I seriously admire their dedication and patience in explaining over and over again. Many kudos to them~

Thank you :) 

The problem I see here is that this is a competition and even maybe if she had gotten permission from the original creators to use pieces of their designs, it's stated in the rules that you must use your own designs. It would be unfair to those that didn't get picked to be in the top due to their creations not being fully their own while this one gets a pass. I'm not saying it isn't nice because I would absolutely love this outfit in the game but rules are rules.

I don't give a *cricket* about all of this.

But if according to the rules you must use your own design then yeah its unfair to every other participants except the one who could have used the already existing BnS outfits(seems legit).

Here its clearly a copy pasta of different elements without even changing the color.

Okay so the TLDR: Had she made her costume a different color, made her adornments slightly different (which she honestly did with the string ribbon on her yukata sleeves, hers has multiple loops while the one from the mobile game does not). Replaced the rope loop behind the girl's back and made it into a ribbon or simply not color/ have it the exact same style and color from the the artwork of one of the characters. She could have gotten away with it.

The artist Apologized according to Zuzu's post. That right there should have been this thread's killer. I rather have artist go out her way and apologizing instead of OP making a topic on here and create a bunch of petty drama. 

I have been in a similar situation this artist has been when I was still learning about how the internet works, I saw an outfit I liked and "heavily referenced" a neko girl outfit for my OC and post it online. I was hoping to get some nice comments about my work, but instead I gotten attacked by the whole community. The outcome was pretty much similar to this thread. I apologized and did come up with the whole "inspiration" excuse. I honestly needed to learn the difference between tracing,  Inspiration, referencing, heavily referencing.  I hope the Artist will eventually learn from her mistake as well... But can we stop trying to claw each other throats out? 

She apologized. The debate should have ended right then and there. 

Besides what is NC going to do? They let wonderland whose outfit was heavily referenced from multiple outfits of games and an actual original made Illustration artwork.  Yet, we got it in game this year. I am glad it looks like crap in game, The art thief deserved that one. The outfit isn't winning anyhow so it is whatever at this point.

Here. Educate yourself on what is art theft and what is art plagiarism. This amazing guide here sums up pretty well on the topic. Before anybody starts crying and say "this is just the personal opinion of another butt hurt artist"; it's listed as a resource on plagiarism in the University of Michigan's library archive so I'd say this is an academically approved material on the topic. 

Source: http://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=283176&p=1886497

For those of you who cannot be bothered to read, here's a TL;DR: 

..:  What Is Art Theft?  :..

Art theft is defined as blatantly stealing a piece of artwork and posting it as your own. This includes, but is not limited to:

- Posting screencaptures saying that you "took them yourself" as though they were photographs, when in fact, those still images already existed--it's called a FRAME. 
- Adding text, clip art or other images to a piece. Putting a witty word bubble or a sprite on something doesn't make it yours.
- Piecing together multiple images. No matter how cool it looks, Frankensteining multiple sprites together to make one sprite is direct art theft.
- Drawing on top of someone else's already existing image.
-  Applying filters to an image, changing colors, or inverting its colors.

"...But, don't be fooled--just like it's art theft to combine multiple images into one image, it's art plagiarism to combine multiple "references" into a single piece. Identically copying any major element of another person's work is still art theft. (More on alluding to other works later.) If you were to give your character a keyblade that looks identical to Sora's, that's art plagiarism. You didn't make that design."

I'm kinda shocked that there are people out there who think it isn't copying at all. Raindeavour is completely correct. I went to a school for a creative field so I know exactly what is meant.

Nothing can be completely original in the sense that it's impossible to not use an already existing design element. But you can stop yourself from combining the exact same same design elements that someone used together right down to color.

If they had referenced several sources for this kind of fashion, it would have been fair and the outcome would have been different. But when only referencing the same source, of course it'll end up a copy. This is true in general when creating any kind of artwork.

It's not a personal attack on the artist to point this kind of thing out. I understand it may have been unintentional on their part. 

There's a reason why this design got accused of copying while something like the Desperado, Black Moon, or other entries did not.

14 minutes ago, 854450_1452550237 said:

Okay so the TLDR: Had she made her costume a different color, made her adornments slightly different (which she honestly did with the string ribbon on her yukata sleeves, hers has multiple loops while the one from the mobile game does not). Replaced the rope loop behind the girl's back and made it into a ribbon or simply not color/ have it the exact same style and color from the the artwork of one of the characters. She could have gotten away with it.

The artist Apologized according to Zuzu's post. That right there should have been this thread's killer. I rather have artist go out her way and apologizing instead of OP making a topic on here and create a bunch of petty drama. 

I have been in a similar situation this artist has been when I was still learning about how the internet works, I saw an outfit I liked and "heavily referenced" a neko girl outfit for my OC and post it online. I was hoping to get some nice comments about my work, but instead I gotten attacked by the whole community. The outcome was pretty much similar to this thread. I apologized and did come up with the whole "inspiration" excuse. I honestly needed to learn the difference between tracing,  Inspiration, referencing, heavily referencing.  I hope the Artist will eventually learn from her mistake as well... But can we stop trying to claw each other throats out? 

She apologized. The debate should have ended right then and there. 

Besides what is NC going to do? They let wonderland whose outfit was heavily referenced from multiple outfits of games and an actual original made Illustration artwork.  Yet, we got it in game this year. I am glad it looks like crap in game, The art thief deserved that one. The outfit isn't winning anyhow so it is whatever at this point.

If you read most of the posts here, most of them are people debating whether this constitute plagiarism/art theft or not. Nobody is attacking the artist, it's not like the community gang up together and condemning the artist and hurling personal attacks at her. She apologised and it was very much appreciated but the issue of art plagiarism and art theft is still at large. 

At the end of the day, this is a competition. Rules are rules. It is unfair to other finalists who actually did not copy or "heavily referenced". NC could step up and release a statement about it. Ultimately, they are the organizer and has the final say on whether this entry is eligible or not. Or they could just ignore the whole thing and forget about all the rules and regulations they have in place at the beginning, just goes to show that they don't really take their own events seriously. Despite all this, should art theft and art plagiarism be overlooked and brushed aside because the organizer wouldn't do anything about it? No. The community get to express their opinion on the matter. 

3 minutes ago, Raindeavour said:

If you read most of the posts here, most of them are people debating whether this constitute plagiarism/art theft or not. Nobody is attacking the artist, it's not like the community gang up together and condemning the artist and hurling personal attacks at her. She apologised and it was very much appreciated but the issue of art plagiarism and art theft is still at large. 

At the end of the day, this is a competition. Rules are rules. It is unfair to other finalists who actually did not copy or "heavily referenced". NC could step up and release a statement about it. Ultimately, they are the organizer and has the final say on whether this entry is eligible or not. Or they could just ignore the whole thing and forget about all the rules and regulations they have in place at the beginning, just goes to show that they don't really take their own events seriously. Despite all this, should art theft and art plagiarism be overlooked and brushed aside because the organizer wouldn't do anything about it? No. The community get to express their opinion on the matter. 

I read it. I've been up literally eating popcorn and munching pizza all night long having movie night & reading constant replies of one side attacking the artist, the middle saying they do not care and will still throw money at it and then we have other side that is bringing their books and knowledge about the world of art and how it is not acceptable. 

I had already lost faith in NC's art costume designs. I knew something like this would happen again. If NC did not clean up the last mess with the costume designs... It will just give other artists like this one in particular the idea to continue to make a mess.

Also to quote you about what you have wrote about the whole art theft vs art plagiarism Art theft and Art plagiarism have both something in common... 

Here is a quote from DA: 

• Plagiarism

Plagiarism, also called "copying" or "tracing" when referring to drawn works, is the act of using third party content without adding any creativity of your own, and/or using material without credit to the original artist or copyright holder. Plagiarism is a form of copyright infringement; it is not considered a derivative work and is not protected by the fair use claim. 

Shall we go after the people that sell fan art next? I am not talking about original characters, logos, books etc. I am talking about Third-party fan art. 

I already put my two cents in this though. It is honestly pointless trying to educate the community about knowledge of plagiarism vs art theft,  Derivative Works,  Parodies, Transformativeness, Fair Use, The "Gray Area", The "Gentleman's Agreement" , The "Unspoken Rule" & Cease and Desist.  

Like someone stated in this thread: Majority will not care because they do not understand how much this means to content creators/artists, unless they are in our shoes right then and there. You're just blabbering out of the mouth just to get shut down by a brick wall with written graffiti saying : "I don't care". 

Trust me... Me and a few others have done the exact same thing you are doing  but with last year's costume design contest. Bringing a whole encyclopedia about art is not going to get the majority to open their eyes. Slap them with a lawsuit right then and there... And maybe... Just maybe will open them up.

18 minutes ago, 854450_1452550237 said:

I Like someone stated in this thread: Majority will not care because they do not understand how much this means to content creators/artists, unless they are in our shoes right then and there. You're just blabbering out of the mouth just to get shut down by a brick wall with written graffiti saying : "I don't care". 

Trust me... Me and a few others have done the exact same thing you are doing  but with last year's costume design contest. Bringing a whole encyclopedia about art is not going to get the majority to open their eyes. Slap them with a lawsuit right then and there... And maybe... Just maybe will open them up.

I believe I'm the one who stated that. I don't mind much about the people who do not care, but the people who see it and still argue and say that it isn't copying/plagiarizing are frankly very disappointing. I feel that an artist' rights is often overlooked. People think that just because you put your artwork on the internet it's okay for others to take and copy parts of your work, passing it as their own and calling it "referencing". This is just... wrong. 

Especially when the artist herself apologized for it, she knew that what she did wasn't right; and there are still people who are saying that it's completely right while ignoring all the evidence. As an artist herself you'd think she knows whether she was copying or not when she created the artwork, and if she admitted her wrongdoings, why are people still actively arguing that "THIS ISN'T A COPY"? It's like a kid who stole a piece of candy from the store and got caught, they realized their mistake and apologized for it, but their overprotective parents start shouting at the store owner for confronting the kid about it. Does that help the kid at all? No, if they did something wrong, they did something wrong. Kudos for actually coming out and apologized. They learn and grow from it. It's overprotective people like the parents who condone the wrongdoings and make them think that there's nothing wrong in their actions and they can jolly well do it again. 

It's just disheartening. 

Raindeavour is completely correct. Please stop defending plagiarism and call it "getting inspired". It's harmful to the artist community and competitions of any sort.

No heartfelt apology will change the fact that the artist broke the rules and should learn from their mistake and that's coming from a fellow artist.

No harm intended- stick to the rules, pay attention to your design and don't get too consumed into wanting it to look like something from a certain source because then you end up copying it, intended or not. Been there, done that, learned my lesson. Instead, try to make it your own design by turning your inspiration around and think out of the box. Combine multiple areas of your favourite outfit into something new, reinvent it. That's what inspiration means. I too was told that my design is "exactly" like an existing outfit which I'm still busy with comparing because I don't see about any resemblance apart from the male shoulder perhaps ( my inspiration was Jiwan btw, the flower and golden pattern in particular and some unreleased male set for which I would make a male..). I'm also fairly certain that this applies to the other finalists as well ( for example BlackMoon maybe being heavily Mabinogi Heroes inspired or any mmorpg involving heavy armor) In that sense it's only fair to the rest to state an example and make clear that artists share the responsibility to stick to rules and not play on the empathy of others or social justice.

The artist did not use their own intellectual property, hence they broke the rules as stated in the competition Terms of use and should be disqualified.

This Artist has been "singled out" for the mere reason that their work was too obviously copied that it's literally "in your face". How are people supposed to respond to that? Ignore it? No, that feeds plagiarism and it makes me sad that so many people willingly support it. Your state of ignorance amazes me, so does the lack of investigation from NcSoft. Kudos to everyone who stands up for this very fragile (digital) art community- we already struggle enough, no need to make it worse.

I work as a freelance Artist and clients sometimes ask me to take parts from their favourite illustrations and just "somehow copy paste them "into their commission since "everyone does that, right? What does it even matter, nobody will notice with all the art around". No. I don't do that and I lose said clients and they probably will search until they find one to do it for them. Getting inspiration is completely different from copying.

Inspiration means  yes- you can copy paste an item onto a different layer, lower the transparency and use it as a reference to how your own item could look in terms of shape. Copying means to take the whole item as it is ( including colours) and just paste it into your design. not changing a thing.

This a small difference of an immensive high importance. Please don't do that. Don't protect stealing and if you are her friends, please be more honest with her. She won't grow as an artist if you keep telling her that the way she designs is completely fine. She's got a lot of potential in that field so please do her a favour and stop wrapping her into a pink bubble.

Like one reply above blah blah blah thief blah blah i voted it , to bad it seem phantom whatever will win anyway(unless divine beast keep it up) as the last year im sure the end desing will be total crap maybe a 60% different from the original desing

Raindeavour, you really have way too much time on your hands, don't you...? You say you have nothing personal against the artist, and yet here you are, on a witch hunt. Making overlays seems really obsessive. Even if I can see your point, the artist apologized and undoubtedly will learn from their mistake. 

Why don't you take a good long look at the first entry and tell me that isn't heavily referenced and copied. They damn near traced poharan's hare for crissakes. Why aren't you down on THAT costume?!

Lol you guys, if we're being honest there is nothing original about either version of this outfit. Both are very pretty, but they are costumes you expect to see in MMO's.

Ya'll need to drink some water, salt levels that high are bad for the body.

4 minutes ago, YuriKat said:

So again, the same story that happened with the winner outfit past year, that was also a blatant rip off of like 2-3 existing and copyrighted designs. Yet it still won.

Can't facepalm hard enough at this.

There is nothing original about alice in wonderland costumes. Every variant has been made several times over. 

8 minutes ago, DarkAngel72 said:

My Question is why haven't the Mod's stepped in and closed down this thread for people are constantly attacking 1 person, and the hate for 1 thing or another in this thread is too high. 

Where do you find people attacking one person? Where is this hatred? 
All I'm seeing is a failing attempt to raise awareness of art thievery within the community, and an alarming level of willful ignorance in favor of self satisfaction. 

Archived