Server Merge Discussion

Kyrrua

" Speaking of raids, we’ve been seeing plenty of community feedback about server populations on specific realms, and the difficulty in finding raiding groups. As more and more players get to endgame content in Blade & Soul, having a thriving raiding population is vital:

To help all players have the ability to experience the new raids, we are consolidating servers on August 9. This will affect both North American and European servers—the end result being that all players will be transferred to two realms for North America (Yura and Zulia) and three for Europe (Jinsoyun, Eisenherz, and Naksun). We’ll have more details in the next few days, but to prepare for this, we’ll be disabling server transfers after the July 26 maintenance. "

Does that means we get only a merge of population on three servers as expected

or that means we will also get an investment on better servers ?

In short, will the 2 or 3 servers be able to support a big capacity of people without problems ?

Btw we're not talking about current lag problem, that's another topic and the lag has nothing to do with server capacity of course.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing is, didn't the last server merge made a lot of people to stop playing??, i remember a lot of them from my old server doing that, so i guess it will happens again, normally when i see a game with only 1 or 2 servers, i know is on their "final form", so bns is dying already?? u.u

6 minutes ago, LilithWalker said:

the thing is, didn't the last server merge made a lot of people to stop playing??, i remember a lot of them from my old server doing that, so i guess it will happens again, normally when i see a game with only 1 or 2 servers, i know is on their "final form", so bns is dying already?? u.u

What? Merges are a normal thing to do. You have a huge playerbase in the beginning, especially on hyped games like BnS was, and it constantly decreases over time. Of course there will be people who say "bns is dying", but hey, there were also people saying that a year ago. Or on other games, people said that 10 years ago and they still exist.

Having less population or performing merges is very different from a "dying" game.

Personally, I don't even feel the need to have more players in the server I'm currently on.

the thing is, the games im playing for the last 15 years, when the server only has 1 or 2 servers, it dies in like 1 year sometimes 2 years, if i go to f8, i see there a lot of parties, but the problem is that doesn't matter with the servers, i remember my old server, before the 1st merge had 3-4 channels sometimes, then after the 1st merge, increased to 5-6 channels on ssp, then after 1 month of that, only 2 channels, that was pretty bad =/

7 minutes ago, LilithWalker said:

the thing is, the games im playing for the last 15 years, when the server only has 1 or 2 servers, it dies in like 1 year sometimes 2 years, if i go to f8, i see there a lot of parties, but the problem is that doesn't matter with the servers, i remember my old server, before the 1st merge had 3-4 channels sometimes, then after the 1st merge, increased to 5-6 channels on ssp, then after 1 month of that, only 2 channels, that was pretty bad =/

True, but the cost to run BnS NA is minimum compared to some other MMORPG's. You must remember that all the major game developments are done for KR; we are just getting adaptations which cost much less. From my experience imported games like this one won't die till the Asian servers die. KR and CN are doing fine, don't worry

Just now, RagingPhenix said:

True, but the cost to run BnS NA is minimum compared to some other MMORPG's. You must remember that all the major game developments are done for KR; we are just getting adaptations which cost much less. From my experience imported games like this one won't die till the Asian servers die. KR and CN are doing fine, don't worry

I hope so, i don't know how are we going to get merged, guess they need to balance the population, to be honest i love small servers, less drama, and if need people there is f8, and with less people sometimes is easier to coordinate stuff, thats why i selected onmyung when i started to play and was nice, even cerulean/crimson was friendly with each other, since crimson was bigger, we had channel 1 and 2, cerulean had 3, and everything was fine, not perfect, but i loved it.

for all we know they could be implementing a bigger version of the server link system we've already been a part of since the last merge, although I'm not sure how to account for the fact we're getting new server names.

I doubt we're getting fresh hardware over this although if by some chance we're getting new high-capacity servers it might not reflect as poorly on the game's population as one would think.

It's not too late for the NA and EU populations to make a comeback to near-launch levels as long as the right decisions are made. I know playing catch-up with Korea for the past year has been pretty stressful on the player-base. Content releases too fast so some players quit due to overload, over-exaggerated AP requests in F8 making the more casual player less likely to make progress due to trouble finding/making groups, etc.

Hopefully the new Fortune Falls event dungeon will help inspire some confidence in who's still here and perhaps some planning on coming back seeing as most event dungeons in the past have been alt-friendly which generally means more materials/progress earned per account.

1 minute ago, Lemy said:

I don't know why NC won't bring bns to steam. I notice they don't really advertise their game and this is why they lose more players than what they gain.

hell ya, that would even be good for steam... Honestly steam should be ashamed of adds saying stuff like "TERA N°1 MMORPG on steam"

1 minute ago, Arcsine said:

for all we know they could be implementing a bigger version of the server link system we've already been a part of since the last merge, although I'm not sure how to account for the fact we're getting new server names.

I doubt we're getting fresh hardware over this although if by some chance we're getting new high-capacity servers it might not reflect as poorly on the game's population as one would think.

It's not too late for the NA and EU populations to make a comeback to near-launch levels as long as the right decisions are made. I know playing catch-up with Korea for the past year has been pretty stressful on the player-base. Content releases too fast so some players quit due to overload, over-exaggerated AP requests in F8 making the more casual player less likely to make progress due to trouble finding/making groups, etc.

Hopefully the new Fortune Falls event dungeon will help inspire some confidence in who's still here and perhaps some planning on coming back seeing as most event dungeons in the past have been alt-friendly which generally means more materials/progress earned per account.

I kinda think they need to stop implementing "new stuff" sometimes, and give us some fun events, stuff for new people to get interested in the game, stuff for casual players are nice too, i play all day, and sometimes i just want to chill on the game.

I have a feeling that they will just put all the servers into 2 servers in NA without upgrading their servers. It will be just massive lag and dc fests during heavily gameplay like ghs or ssp. Before they do server merge, they should optimize their game server stability and setting first.

Also, right now, the problem with the raid is being 24 people. When 12 people raid system comes, there are no need for server merges anyways. Just give us damn 12 people raid system and everything is solved.

I kinda think they want to merge servers so they will seem like they have "a lot of players", nothing for existing players, just to add the illusion i think, because FrozenB is right, the 12 people raid system will fix that "i can't find a raid team".

Just now, LilithWalker said:

I kinda think they need to stop implementing "new stuff" sometimes, and give us some fun events, stuff for new people to get interested in the game, stuff for casual players are nice too, i play all day, and sometimes i just want to chill on the game.

We're just 2-3 patches from being caught up with Korea at this point, after that I'm expecting more of an event focus since we won't have to play catch-up anymore so hopefully that's a sigh of relief.

Dark Origins gives us Ebondrake Secret Halls and both parts of Vortex Temple, then we still have LV55 content and Gunner

1 minute ago, FrozenB said:

I have a feeling that they will just put all the servers into 2 servers in NA without upgrading their servers. It will be just massive lag and dc fests during heavily gameplay like ghs or ssp. Before they do server merge, they should optimize their game server stability and setting first.

Also, right now, the problem with the raid is being 24 people. When 12 people raid system comes, there are no need for server merges anyways. Just give us damn 12 people raid system and everything is solved.

A server merge is mostly not physical. It "just" merges the groups of playerbases in the databases together. Since all EU servers are located at the same spot, I doubt that there will be performance differences.

3 minutes ago, Leyren said:

A server merge is mostly not physical. It "just" merges the groups of playerbases in the databases together. Since all EU servers are located at the same spot, I doubt that there will be performance differences.

I don't know but if you come from a lower populated server. You will definitely see the difference in game play. Also, if you have lower gears, you will have a hard time to do the quests in SSP or GHS because the bosses will die in less than 5 seconds when you see all the AP 1100+ with all those top souls players grouped together.

Also, in their letter, they mentioned that the server merge is specifically to solve the "raid problem". However, since there will be 12m raid system coming soon, I don't see any reason why they have to do it beside "cutting their operating budgets" for this game or leaving the free server spaces for their other new games.

5 minutes ago, FrozenB said:

The only problem with that approach is that 12-man raids in Korea are still relatively new for them, they were still doing 24-man on Vortex Temple for a while. We'll get 12-man at some point since we have to get it by the time we get Korea's new LV55 raid which was explicitly designed for 12-man. Part of me thinks the whole reason this merge is happening in the first place is because the devs didn't see fit to give us 12-man with Dark Origins. I guess it's not the first time we got the short end when it came to a big patch seeing as we technically were supposed to get Naryu Sanctum before Spires which would have made things more manageable right off the bat.

25 minutes ago, RagingPhenix said:

hell ya, that would even be good for steam... Honestly steam should be ashamed of adds saying stuff like "TERA N°1 MMORPG on steam"

Exactly I really hope they consider it since this would bring in a lot of new players.

Archived