[POSSIBLE FIX] Regarding 64-Bit Client!

Apple Bloom

Hi I'm Apple! 

I've been playing this since January since before the 64-bit version client was launched so I was really happy when it came out. I enjoyed for a few days and then it simple puffed, went bad, errors and errors, game not opening or closing after a while for nothing, or bad fps til it simply wouldn't open anymore! I know these are issues for a lot of people so I tell u what I did this time and what could be the answer!

So there are 2 possible things: the update itself, windows' FTH feature.

Every time the game updated I was able to open the game or get close to it in the first try or tries, then it would stop working. Take note of that.

This is the  explanation for FTH: "The Fault Tolerant Heap (FTH) is a subsystem of Windows 7 responsible for monitoring application crashes and autonomously applying mitigations to prevent future crashes on a per application basis. For the vast majority of users, FTH will function with no need for intervention or change on their part. However, in some cases, application developers and software testers may need to override the default behavior of this system."  BTW this feature is on windows 8 and 10 too. I use windows 10.

Here is a guide on how to disable it: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000678431-windows-enabled-fault-tolerant-heap-for-3dsmax-or-dependent-processes-this-may-have-severe-perform

Now u will see a lot of methods to do it in there, I haven't tried all of them to see what works and what doesn't, I tell u what I did.

One of the methods lets u exclude an application alone rather than disabling the feature, but when I did what the guide said about finding the application in the logs or even in the keys in regedit I didn't find anything, meaning 2 things: the game wasn't there, no other app was using it; so what I thought is simply that the issue is not with it fixing, but rather, trying to fix something in the 64-bit client, that isn't there!

So I disabled the FTH entirely. I did the regedit part, and the cmd part (which has to be in admin mode), also I checked the 'STATE' key to see if something was there. Now remember what I said about update? Well if u tried opening  the 64-bit client after the game updated I don't know if it works or not, try it out. If you don't manage to get in, try waiting for the update on 26th and do these tricks again, especially the cmd part and try to open it!

It's been working for 2 days for me, no crashes, no bad fps, no bad loading time it's gorgeous! 

Apples anyone? >.<

Edited by Apple Bloom
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

So, what happens is adding to the fix above, I had to do another thing. I use MSI afterburner to control my fps in certain games that don't offer that option. Basically if I try to open the game with it closed to begin with, the game will fail to open and say it did a report to send to NCSOFT. If you try to open with MSI opened it will also not work, it will happen the same thing. WHAT TO DO THEN? Basically you will try to open once with MSI opened it will fail, now you close MSI and try again and it will work. 

Reminding that this is found to happen not only to MSI afterburner but any other software messing with your GPU even if you don't use it for anything other than nothing, any software that offers GPU control can be causing this, try this same thing once with it other without it.

You can also download msi afterburner and try this too, create one fan control profile there and do the steps above after a nice restart (let it open when windows starts automatically).

Also, the game works, no bad fps, no crashes, no stutters, faster loadings (for some) and all the good stuff.

This happens to me idk why, maybe it happens to you, I'm just letting you know what worked for me. Ever since I made the topic I have been playing in 64-bit client and it's way better than 32 bit in my case WAY BETTER.

Now pls BnS team take these things and try to fix your client please, ever since it was launched there was only one 'fix' in February and nevermore. LOTS of people can't use the 64-bit.

Apples to everyone :)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Oh my God! Apple Bloom I just want to say thank you so much, this has solved my issue!

I literally quit this game years ago, I was a founder, and I waited for this since 2007. I had to quit because of the FPS lag and that the 64bit wasn't working. But this simple fix just raised my fps to normal!

Thank you so much!

On 7/16/2017 at 7:54 AM, Apple Bloom said:

For the vast majority of users, FTH will function with no need for intervention or change on their part. However, in some cases, application developers and software testers may need to override the default behavior of this system.

Excluding one application from the FTH is okay if you really have a need to do so, but disabling the FTH entirely is an extremely bad idea. The text says "application developers and software testers" for good reason.

Am 16.7.2017 um 14:54 schrieb Apple Bloom:

This worked on my GF's pc (Windows 7, NVIDIA), where the game was unplayable, due to 0 - 4 fps in fights. Now her fps are 35 - 60, and we can finally really play together (not her just waiting at a frozen screen for me to do the work). Thank you so much!

Am 18.6.2018 um 20:17 schrieb SkyStorm:

Excluding one application from the FTH is okay if you really have a need to do so, but disabling the FTH entirely is an extremely bad idea. The text says "application developers and software testers" for good reason.

This makes no sense. I'll just quote some admin from https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php?topic=11098.0 on this:

Zitat

FTH is a desperate attempt by Microsoft to make badly-written applications crash less. But there is a good reason why application crash - if you just let them run after crash (which is also really easy to do, and Autodesk is doing it with their Nitrous viewport drivers in 3ds max for example), you risk much bigger problems such as installation corruption, user data/files corruption, etc. It is safe to turn FTH off.

2 hours ago, Dragorion said:

But there is a good reason why application crash - if you just let them run after crash

I'm not sure how you're supposed to let an application run after it's crashed, because it, uh...crashed. But if the administrator of a forum says it's okay to disable the fth systemwide who am I to argue? I'm sure he must be an expert on windows internals - he knows how to run applications after they've crashed, which is beyond my skill set and pay grade.

vor 19 Stunden schrieb SkyStorm:

I'm not sure how you're supposed to let an application run after it's crashed, because it, uh...crashed. But if the administrator of a forum says it's okay to disable the fth systemwide who am I to argue? I'm sure he must be an expert on windows internals - he knows how to run applications after they've crashed, which is beyond my skill set and pay grade.

He's a renderer developer, thus he has to be an expert on such things. I also am a developer, and can confirm that what he wrote makes much more sense than what you wrote. If you want to know how a fault tolerant heap works, use Google.

Edited by Dragorion

You're entitled to your opinion and so is he, but please don't insult me by telling me to use Google. You don't know me, nor do you know that I've been writing software professionally for a very long time.

According to Wikipedia,

In computing, a crash (or system crash) occurs when a computer program, such as a software application or an operating system, stops functioning properly and exits.

Now please tell me how an application that has stopped functioning properly and exited going to continue to run. That, by definition, is impossible. Maybe he defines "crash" differently than the rest of the computing industry; I don't know, but you seem to think it makes sense, so maybe you can explain it to me. 

Anyway, that's all beside the point. I don't care if anyone follows this advice and shoots himself in the foot by disabling the fth without a good reason to do so. I stand by my opinion that it is a bad idea.

2 hours ago, Dragorion said:

I also am a developer, and can confirm that what he wrote makes much more sense than what you wrote.

You didn't confirm anything. You merely stated "he's right and you're wrong and I know it because I'm a developer." So what?

Edited by SkyStorm

Don't strain yourself. It took me around a minute to confirm that FTH does exactly what the renderer developer wrote. It doesn't matter if you have "been writing software" when you do not even know what a heap is (i.a. how it works) and that an application "crash" is nothing but defined behavior of the operation system. Of course, it can just decide to not crash at e.g. memory access violations but do something else. Of course, it can manipulate the runtime environment based on failures in the past,  in order to prevent these in the future. When I studied computer science, we had to develop an operating system for a micro controller. Since you obviously don't know much about this part of software, you should inform yourself before attemting to inform others about it.

I did not insult you. You are just making uneducated guesses, misinforming people. Moreover, you are misleading people to not use this beautiful fix, which has no other effect than allowing Windows to execute Blade & Soul (and other third-party software) how it is supposed to.

Can you stop that please?

Edited by Dragorion

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...