Why grappling?

ZeroIII

I came back to the game to find that to my dismay, KFM's don't have a dedicated ground grapple skill anymore and instead need to rely on air-to-ground grapples... What was the thought process behind this? I enjoyed the skill in PvE as it allowed my party to bash on an enemy while he's defenseless, gaining some time to recover or to add damage. Yes, there might be some more useful builds, but not every player out there is looking to be the min/max master of absolute DPS and Tanking and just play to have a laugh with some friends.

What I'm asking is the reasoning behind this removal.

It was part of the simplification process of the whole skill system, where they kept ice guard as the most common PvP option, Fighting Spirit as the most common group option and Focuses Fighting Spirit as the most common solo option.

I can only suspect that ground grapple was removed because it was a minority choice in all of these 3 play modes. It was also largely redundant with other grabs, especially the much more powerful restraint graps of BD and DES.

Another reason might have been 6v6 balancing, but that's pure speculation. I certainly would have gone grapple spec for 6v6 once the Black Wind 3-set bonus had become available. Grapple on any defence / KD every 12.6 seconds (down from 18) would have become a totally broken TAB baiter in 6v6.

They are going to merge Focused and normal Fighting Spirit in the future, giving them a back a slot space in the skill spec window, but I doubt they will use that to bring back ground grapple. Though I would be happy if they did.

I guess I understand, even if I don't think this is the best they could've done. Thanks for the civil and well informed answer and it's good to know I'm not alone in the loss. It's mourning time u.u

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I came back after a good while pause of playing. And I hadnt touched my Kung Fu Master character for a good while since, as I was playing the Blade Master, I recently just went back to my Kung Fu Master, and not only is my grapple, which was the most satisfying feeling thing to use an finish off things with gone, but it all around just felt slower to fight with now.

After finding this out, I just rage quit. I dont plan on playing my KFM anymore. Sucked the enjoyment out of playing the class. And I did used to pvp a bit too prior to this. But the flavor of the class just feels more shallow now to me. I really hate this change, whenever it occured. KFM to me felt like any other rpg fighter class. But with a high skill cap. It was generic in its own right. But it took alot of skill to do alot with the class, and with that skill it actually felt like you can overcome anything with the options you had. And some of those options were pretty satisfying feeling. the grapple options were one of those.

• 7 months later...

Archived