Toxicity and the Current Community

Kaiyua

I'll...ATTEMPT to make this short. You can pretty much skip this part.

Mushin Server. Me and "A" have returned from October. "B" has returned from August.

LOTS of changes that shocked us, and a little hard to adjust due to "A" and I being near end-game already. (Lv.50 HM2+ and still on Ch.26....we accidentally overleveled a lot.)

We decide to ask Cerulean Faction Chat so we can get up to speed and understand these new elements. Worst mistake.

We met people arguing with us for nearly an hour, telling us to 'get good', 'uninstall', "just make a new char lol" and generally being extremely unhelpful, elitist, and trolling. Only thing I learned from the whole thing was "the story will take care of you + some possible gear and upgrade materials", but we're still confused on some other new changes and whether or not we should be concerned about them, or at least learn about what they are.

Got same responce asking for help with Supply Chain. ("B" still has accessories that haven't been upgraded from Viridian...Figured they could use the soul shields and accessories as a crutch for now so they can do story and catch up to get their next gearset.)

Got people ego-tripping about "how fast it is to level/how fast they leveled", their stats, how they're endgame, how "retarded" me and my whole group are for being clueless on what to do next, and how "easy" the game is. We can never get a straight answer or just a general guideline, or at least it being told to us NICELY without being followed by "lol f***ing retard". Like, thank you for helping us, but was it necessary to add "dumba**" to the end of it?

------------------------------

Normally I'd just shrug off the community, but the levels of absolute toxicity, mixed with utter confusion of the massive amount of changes make it almost unplayable. Yeah, maybe we're making things over-complicated, and this sort of community happens with FTP MMOs, but that should not be an excuse to ridicule people to such an extreme when they just want help or a question answered. In my experience, the community has become just as terrible as TERA's community-- unhelpful, hostile, and hopelessly elitist. Does this game even have room for casual players anymore?

Are we the only ones that have experienced this sort of feedback? What is your opinion or view on the current community? Do you disagree when I say the community is 'toxic', and if so, how so? I'm really interested in hearing all of your opinions and having a discussion! (As well, I'd love to hear what server/faction you're a part of!)

26 minutes ago, Kaiyua said:

I'll...ATTEMPT to make this short. You can pretty much skip this part.

Mushin Server. Me and "A" have returned from October. "B" has returned from August.

LOTS of changes that shocked us, and a little hard to adjust due to "A" and I being near end-game already. (Lv.50 HM2+ and still on Ch.26....we accidentally overleveled a lot.)

We decide to ask Cerulean Faction Chat so we can get up to speed and understand these new elements. Worst mistake.

We met people arguing with us for nearly an hour, telling us to 'get good', 'uninstall', "just make a new char lol" and generally being extremely unhelpful, elitist, and trolling. Only thing I learned from the whole thing was "the story will take care of you + some possible gear and upgrade materials", but we're still confused on some other new changes and whether or not we should be concerned about them, or at least learn about what they are.

Got same responce asking for help with Supply Chain. ("B" still has accessories that haven't been upgraded from Viridian...Figured they could use the soul shields and accessories as a crutch for now so they can do story and catch up to get their next gearset.)

Got people ego-tripping about "how fast it is to level/how fast they leveled", their stats, how they're endgame, how "retarded" me and my whole group are for being clueless on what to do next, and how "easy" the game is. We can never get a straight answer or just a general guideline, or at least it being told to us NICELY without being followed by "lol f***ing retard". Like, thank you for helping us, but was it necessary to add "dumba**" to the end of it?

------------------------------

Normally I'd just shrug off the community, but the levels of absolute toxicity, mixed with utter confusion of the massive amount of changes make it almost unplayable. Yeah, maybe we're making things over-complicated, and this sort of community happens with FTP MMOs, but that should not be an excuse to ridicule people to such an extreme when they just want help or a question answered. In my experience, the community has become just as terrible as TERA's community-- unhelpful, hostile, and hopelessly elitist. Does this game even have room for casual players anymore?

Are we the only ones that have experienced this sort of feedback? What is your opinion or view on the current community? Do you disagree when I say the community is 'toxic', and if so, how so? I'm really interested in hearing all of your opinions and having a discussion! (As well, I'd love to hear what server/faction you're a part of!)

Mushin server lol , cerulean is a bunch of toxic people . Go Crimson , much better there . Although i stay in a Ceru dead clan but you can always find me if you have a question , notice is that i play on both server EU and NA , so i may see me pop in different time and pop out real quick . IGN of mine : Krissies , Krissiea for NA . Krissieas for EU . I'm not a whale at all , casual player at its finest i can say .

Ok, ill help you out.

Firstly, you asked the community for help, that is by far the worst option you could have gone with. Not really sure what you were expecting. Its not just this game, its any game in this day and age. 

Secondly, self-help is best help. While BnS information is extreamly hard to come by, it is out there. As well as on this forum. So some of the fault lies with yourself and your group.  All of you could have easily just gone on with the story quest, left the community for later, and just see where things go, if you get stuck then you go back and ask around. What you will find is the quests themselves give you nearly everything you need, including gems. At this point i think it even gives you enough gold near the end to buy a 35ap gem off the AH. 

Im not trying to be elitist or anything but it just seems that now a days so many people just want to be spoon fed answers instead of actually trying to find the information themselves. I can understand if its something like a pro/con or "ive looked for hours and i cant find x, can someone give me a direction". 

I wouldn't say it's their fault at all for asking. How about if you can't give someone a decent answer without being disrespectful then just don't answer at all. I agree though that there is enough information on the forums and else where for help but instead these people could have easily said to look on the forums instead of all the name calling.

Your first mistake is being on mushin, I can count on one hand how many nice players I have met from Mushin since the game launched. Mushin, Pohran and ik seem to have the most toxic players. 

But really the game has become quiet simplifed, depending on where you are in the story line in some cases it is easier just to start from the ground up for what is given through the new gold quest line. Hongmoon weapons are gone.. thing of the past. You use standard dropped weapons until you complete moonwater and head to silverfrost where you get the ivory moon weapon which is the new hongmoon weapon just.. bigger and just as ugly. 

The gold quest literally hands you everything, except the new pinnical jewelry (aka asura) which is the top jewelry until legendary and raven elemental. It gives you your weapons, keys, soul shields. Come silver frost it gives you your mats, your tormented weapon, gems, ss.. all that. 

I totally feel you, and hearing about your experiences makes me so sad, even though I have witnessed the same so many times already. T_T

There are casual players out there, a lot actually, I am leading a clan full of them. ^_^

But they do not talk in faction chat, I would even recommend to switch it off unless you can be a kind of buddha and believe in the good of people despite the most horrible things they say...

The problem I guess is that once people in faction chat start being horrible, all the good people switch it off, leaving it to the trolls to feed on each other.

But on the positive side, these are ony a minority of players. It's horrible that they dominate the public chat such a lot, but once you manage to form "inside" relationships with others in game it all becomes much nicer.

A nice clan and people on your friend list are really great in this. Also, the smaller the chat range the more helpful people will be.

I recommend to try to do as much of the content together with your friends, and maybe try to find some like-minded beginners for practice runs in the dungeons. Also for PvP the experience will be much better to spar with friends.

That said, sadly being in a different region I can only offer to help here in the forums. If you have any specific questions (e.g. on how the game changed) please feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer. Been around since a year before launch. ^_^

Also if you post a question in any of the subforums except for "general" (this one just spools the threads down to fast for me to follow) I am likely to see it eventually and I will try to answer.

TL;DR: Don't give up, we nice people are out there! Ask me anything you like. ^_^

Archived