*Outfit Rental Service* Possible implementation???

So I am still fairly new to this game and one thing that struck me was the idea of clothing not being stat-related to boost individualism of characters. Good concept, but I constantly find myself wanting to try outfits in wardrobe that either....1. I was too late and missed when it was available....2. have to wait a insanely long time to even hopefully obtain. 

A outfit rental service would be a great way to bring in extra revenue and at the same time allow players more options in customizing there character than before...huge sell point!!!

services just like the premium membership....30,90,365 packages allowing players to shuffle through and pick any outfit for a set period of time.

just a idea

....Although I understand your motivation, I really don't want to encourage NCSoft to do this. It just kicks open the door for ALL outfits to be temporary, and if people show interest, we'll just end up "renting" all of our clothing instead of being able to permanently buy it, because they'll learn that we're willing to pay over and over again for the same thing :/

I recall playing a game in the past where they started doing this, in addition to having permanent cash shop outfits, and slowly, more and more outfits ended up being rentals than permanent.

i like this rental stuff...like u said

(1 I was too late and missed when it was available)...buying hcoin kinda hard nowadays with the absolute nonsense low currency rate now but the outfit price still the same...i wonder if they can low the price for limited outfit =(

( 2. have to wait a insanely long time to even hopefully obtain.  ) yeah this too...hope they make more than 2 outfit for every rotation...

Im not encouraging them to change from what they already have. Im encouraging them to add it as a second feature. There are alot of outfits that because I was not apart of the launch or other events I will never get the chance to even obtain the permanent outfits some have. The option to be able to access that even for a month...yes I would gladly pay a "reasonable" service membership.

Given how fast they rotate outfits available in store: that'd be a literal cash grab which for some reasons you guys seem to be ok with. Here's how the average outfit release schedule works anyway :

New holiday/anniversary/season/festivity/etc Themed batch of outfits released in store

>Throughout the months,mainly seasonal recolors are released (pretty sure everybody noticed it) and then;

> New Event after/before content patch : grants a more unique model/excuslive outfit. This naturally comes with new dungeon outfit but that ain't cash shop related so we can put it out of the way.

Basically,most shop outfits are either recolors of each others or the "original" model but its guarantee that a retexture of said "original" will be released in a free  way or, even, in store a few months/weeks later.

Making them non-permanent cause you missed on one recolor you like (?) sounds atrocious especially when half of the outfits on the game(non cash shop related) are testimony of your achievment(s)

Its at my discretion if I wanna pay for a recolor...I earned it its my money. Whats funny is the people that have "too much time" complaining...no one is discrediting your ability to stay on for hours or days on end grinding to get that gear. However me on the other end I work 12 hour shifts in robotic cell maintenance. So that's not a option that I should chuck in a few extra hours a day to get those events or "date exclusive". 

Sorry I like my livelihood too much to appease to someone with too much time complaining about how someone else wants to spend they money....did you sign my check? or are you paying my mortgage?....

I didn't think so :) 

Besides this is a F2P, because it entices more people to play the game...while premium content helps keep the game in circulation so you guys can enjoy spending tons of hours grinding for gear or being able to catch certain events....seems like a fair trade IMO

No,you can buy whatever you want but you are saying you are willing to pay for a sub-par service.You do you,but  it's part of a ROTATION thus putting some sort of "exclusivity" behind the outfits in store ; rewarding peoples for actively playing(argueably) . Making them available 24/7 (doesn't matter if they are only temporary) just destroy the whole purpose. What about event exclusive outfits? The founder outfits? The region-award outfits from contests? Should they also be available for rent and in the process,kill the entire gratification of those who worked for them? Pulling the "i can do what i want with my money" is just a silly argument,the company will try to please the bigger crowd,not just a few individuals that are willing to drop alot of money into the game. Believe it: they'd loose income doing so. 

I don't think you really understand the full ramifications of what you're asking for.

Certain outfits are rare for a reason, and I'm sorry, but if you didn't do the dungeon to earn them and don't have the time to grind, you shouldn't be able to pay to wear them, even if they are temporary. It DOES degrade the player experience, and belittles the achievements and in game rewards. Why should you be allowed to experience the satisfaction of an achievement you didn't earn?  Why would any one even do the dungeons if you could just "rent" those hard earned rewards?

I don't see why you think your lifestyle makes you entitled to things you didn't work for in game. It isn't a matter of insecurity, its a matter of preserving goal oriented game play.

Besides the fact, once companies like NCSoft learn your willing to pay for something temporary, they will exploit it and eventually NOTHING will be permanent.

Do you understand the difference between permanent and temporary? Yes you worked hard to achieve that clothing...me on the other hand I dont have that luxury to spend the hours to get that.

It doesnt matter about how "exclusive" it was to obtain a permanent a rental is only temporary, but it still gives me the satisfaction that I could atleast experience something that my busy lifestyle has denied me the ability to purchase permanently or grind to get permanently. I think that is the point of my whole idea behind the rental service...your thinking it will degrade the gamer experience say for example.... "Dark Path" oufit you have to obtain in a Skybreak Spire raid its hard enough trying to compete with 20+ others in same raid that want it. when you see every regular joe wearing it...it feels like you havent accomplished something epic because now everyone is running around with a "Dark Path" outfit.

Thats a insecurity they will have to deal with. Thats just like complaining about premium membership how its not fair we get discounts and access to other sections in dragon express...why??? because we paid for that luxury.

Trust me adding a outfit rental service is not gonna send the BnS economy in a spiral crash and burn. Your overthinking it too much.

*Company will please the bigger crowd*.....of players that dont even invest in the game whatsoever? or take more interest in someone that doesnt have the time to invest in keeping the servers full like clockwork, but will invest their own money for services to have a experience thats more suited for there situation.

You must think NCsoft pays its employees and server upkeep costs with ingame currency  

No, I do not think that. What I do think is that if one is to spend -real money- it better be on something permanent. You are literally begging to be exploited here, and don't seem to get the gist of what I am saying.

In any case, NCSoft makes it's dollar by making these things inaccessible so that you'll spend money to gear up and get them faster. Your rental system with instant satisfaction would hinder that, and make less money for them in the long run.

If you think its 100% FTP players running in those outfits, you are VERY wrong.

I dont see how it would hinder when its only temporary...the gear has no stats so its not beneficial in character development at all its only cosmetics. The point of making you spend money in other areas just to get that gear upgraded is the exploit....im not begging to be exploited...your already being exploited with having the option to buy items that are really hard to grind and farm as it is just to upgrade your stats.

This is just another revenue channel that could bring in more money...some people dont want to hold on to the cosmetics...there are too many and they take up a lot of space as it is already. so having something for a short period of time, but will not exhaust my ingame storage space is a huge plus imo.

I didn't like the current setup with having some simple outfits out of reach for way too long. But adding a rental service would be an evil idea. Let's see if you'd like this better. A set of common outfits that are permanently in store, a set that rotate, and a set that remain exclusive.

The outfits that would remain in store always are those that you see on NPCs, and some recolors of earned outfits out there (like the recolors to Masked Hongmoon for example). There's quite bit to choose from just in this selection. Basically, most of what you see common village/town/city NPCs in game wear is 100 wearable by your player character. A few of those outfits have been in the store or at least they have store entries in the wardrobe (like the Lycandi outfit). Others do not have such entries, but some light data mining have proven that they are perfectly usable (Yunwa's outfit is one I'd LOVE to buy, and there's even a Lyn version of it).

Rotation outfits are those that show up on a season basis, and those you don't see NPCs wear anywhere, like White Hot and similar stuff. Again, there's quite a bit of outfits that can be put on this rotation. And before I continue, many believe the reason for the current long rotation is to keep players not wearing the same, adding a bit of exclusivity. Still, by having a base store with a bigger selection of permanent lore friendly outfits, I don't think this rotation and exclusivity will be damaged.

Lastly, there should always be a set of outfits that should remain 100% exclusive and only those players able to get them that one time should be the only ones with them. Like founder pack outfits, tournament winner stuff and the like. BUT, instead of giving nothing to newer players, make other events to encourage them to work for exclusive outfits. Some of the current events seem to be doing that.

Anyway. This is my own idea, which I believe is a better exchange than asking NC to take more of our money in a monthly or 7 day basis.

14 hours ago, Inugami said:

Certain outfits are rare for a reason, and I'm sorry, but if you didn't do the dungeon to earn them and don't have the time to grind, you shouldn't be able to pay to wear them, even if they are temporary. It DOES degrade the player experience, and belittles the achievements and in game rewards. Why should you be allowed to experience the satisfaction of an achievement you didn't earn?  Why would any one even do the dungeons if you could just "rent" those hard earned rewards?

You realize this has already happenend? Merchant of wonders had plenty of rare dungeon outfits for sale, nc doesn't care about people that spend lots of time obtaining them. It's the same for gear upgrades, lots of people spend over half a year of playing to get 700+ AP and now you can get it in 2 weeks. Before getting legy wpn was an archievement and now everyone gets it easily. You shouldn't ever expect something to stay as hard as it is in an mmo it's not going to happen.

20 hours ago, JohnDilinger87 said:

Its at my discretion if I wanna pay for a recolor...I earned it its my money. Whats funny is the people that have "too much time" complaining...no one is discrediting your ability to stay on for hours or days on end grinding to get that gear. However me on the other end I work 12 hour shifts in robotic cell maintenance. So that's not a option that I should chuck in a few extra hours a day to get those events or "date exclusive". 

Sorry I like my livelihood too much to appease to someone with too much time complaining about how someone else wants to spend they money....did you sign my check? or are you paying my mortgage?....

I didn't think so :) 

Besides this is a F2P, because it entices more people to play the game...while premium content helps keep the game in circulation so you guys can enjoy spending tons of hours grinding for gear or being able to catch certain events....seems like a fair trade IMO

:/ I dont grind hrs on end for gold to sell to purchase outfits. I just buy what I like from F10 rotation with ncoin, the outfits that remain in shop indefenitely are what u farm gold for......

Well I feel event costumes should stay exclusive as well as seasonal store items and rare ones like Phoenix . If anything it would have to be basic costumes that were rotated out of shop. Don't compare something like this to dragon express earning something and receiving a discount on things are different in that Items in express are available to both all year round as opposed to event items other players put in time and effort . And seasonal is seasonal players have more than enough time to buy them.

21 hours ago, JohnDilinger87 said:

Do you understand the difference between permanent and temporary? Yes you worked hard to achieve that clothing...me on the other hand I dont have that luxury to spend the hours to get that.

Thats a insecurity they will have to deal with. Thats just like complaining about premium membership how its not fair we get discounts and access to other sections in dragon express...why??? because we paid for that luxury.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:17 PM, JohnDilinger87 said:

You've made the decision to prioritize work over play. Perhaps you should, to use your words, deal with it. You're discrediting and ridiculing the time people spent in order to reach all those outfit achievements, by attempting to justify your idea as a luxury gained by money. At the same time you're attempting to change the way people's money is spent. Aren't you being more than a little hypocritical?

I don't think you understand the difference of permanent and temporary yourself. Temporary will become 'permanent' as long as the rental is available to be renewed, especially in the relatively short lifetime of a mmorpg. Introducing the option to temporary rentals would just open the floodgates of greed, and eventually all the costumes will become temporary. Players would end up paying way more in order to rent costumes than they would have if they were to purchase it permanently outright. Perhaps, as you say, it is to your discretion that you wish to pay indefinitely for temporary items. But I feel confident in my belief that the mass majority of players would disagree with you.

7 hours ago, Cor said:

You realize this has already happenend? Merchant of wonders had plenty of rare dungeon outfits for sale, nc doesn't care about people that spend lots of time obtaining them. It's the same for gear upgrades, lots of people spend over half a year of playing to get 700+ AP and now you can get it in 2 weeks. Before getting legy wpn was an archievement and now everyone gets it easily. You shouldn't ever expect something to stay as hard as it is in an mmo it's not going to happen.

Of course I realize that, I've played this game since it's early beta stage. However, the merchant of wonders still requires a significant amount of grind in order to obtain a loot table where you actually get rare items of any value. You still don't see any of the things handed out during merchant of wonders all that often, if ever.

I don't expect things to remain difficult in an MMO at all, nor do I actually WANT them to. A rental service is a completely different animal than a change in mechanics, though. I'm more or less countering this guys sense of entitlement and pointing out reasons why a rental service would be a wretched idea when dealing with companies like NCSoft. I have no desire to see temporary rentals happen in this game. Like I said, it kicks open the door to NOTHING being permanent ever unless you keep paying for it over and over again.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Well I feel event costumes should stay exclusive as well as seasonal store items and rare ones like Phoenix . If anything it would have to be basic costumes that were rotated out of shop. Don't compare something like this to dragon express earning something and receiving a discount on things are different in that Items in express are available to both all year round as opposed to event items other players put in time and effort . And seasonal is seasonal players have more than enough time to buy them.

For rare cash shop outfits, and outfits obtained through quests- I do feel those should return, but be equally hard to obtain as they were when they first came out. In this case, I'd rather be able to acquire these for multiple characters than have them be so exclusive that there's never a chance of obtaining them again.

The only exception to this should be founders pack items and outfits NCSoft said they would only sell when the game began (But even so, I'm one of the few founders who'd like to see these return, at least as recolors XD )

The merchant of wonders mostly rewarded 45s dungeon outfits that nobody had time to run anymore. I mean i guess if you're bored,you can solo about all those instances but besides; he also had some exclusive cosmetics. He was an event,a free2play event. You just needed some dedication and a bit of luck to get some cool *cough* PERMANENT *cough* outfits. Nowhere was it hinted to be some sort of marketing strategy/cash grab by Ncsoft. If they really wanted to be greedy on that one,they could've just do like BNS CN did and put the rare 40-45s outfit drops in store.

P.S: The reason why the game has so many recolors of outfits is cause,most of the time on east servers,those recolors are awarded for free.

Not going to lie I am pretty torn about this. When new outfits hit I usually buy them up right away and I like the idea that I have them for whenever I want them. Now bare with me as this is only the second mmo I have ever played and this one is very cosmetic heavy compared to the previous one I played. I had never seen an option to buy and pay for virtual/digital clothes. And it always irked me because its something I can't physical touch. This was a new concept for me and I thought it was a waste of money. I use to think "What if the game went out of business? I just wasted all that money." Then I started previewing clothes on my toon and really liked some stuff and started buying it. And now its just "well its my money to waste how I want" kind of thing. It doesn't phase me anymore. I'm to the point where I would just rather have an account bound wardrobe or bank to share across my toons. When I first started playing the game yes I probably would have liked a temporary system better but now I like paying for what I want.

Archived