Mommys/girls play games too even blade and soul

LoliDolly

While most of you believe that only guys play games or only a guy could possibly be playing a female character this is not always the case. Know that us girls are out there and some of us do not care to play a guy character. There are gamer girls and not only guys play MMORPG games. I do understand and respect that some guys play female characters and that is everyone's prerogative. 

Earlier I was on my summoner in gloomdross and my son had to be tended to real fast so i was courteous to let others know so they didnt think i was AFK. And to my dismay i got referred to as a Daddy without even an apology after correcting them. -shrugs- that would be too easy though and i shouldnt expect it. All i want to say is people there are Mommys and other girls out there that play computer and console games and its not a very good habit to assume someones gender. Maybe use neutral terms such as "parent' would be more nicer.

This isnt the first time and wont be the last time nor the first game or last game that i play where i probably will experience this but i cant help but at least say that we/gamer girls are out there. 

WTF_zpsmqpk0daf.pngcuteness_zpsl0bmkwuj.png

whaT s the problem?

arent parents humans too? can't they play?

mommy means anyway any female human being with 16+ years old. i understand that gamer girls can seems to be some strange chimeras but they exist.

I do understand that gamer girls (in your case mommy) exists and everyone should be allowed to play games regardless of gender. However, the only problem is that it is very hard to recognise whether the player controlling the character is either girl or boy. The reason why is because some (or most) guys choose female as their in game gender and you can't really tell whether the player is a she/he based on the chat itself. If there's any way to tell the difference, please let us know :)

11 minutes ago, HailStorm5 said:

I do understand that gamer girls (in your case mommy) exists and everyone should be allowed to play games regardless of gender. However, the only problem is that it is very hard to recognise whether the player controlling the character is either girl or boy. The reason why is because some (or most) guys choose female as their in game gender and you can't really tell whether the player is a she/he based on the chat itself. If there's any way to tell the difference, please let us know :)

My only point is that its nicer to use a more neutral term, particularly in pug groups. I understand its not easy to know what the gender is but "parent" works and whatever. I have plenty of male friends that play female characters as well as female friends that play male characters and until i got to know them better when i referred to them in my clan i always used "they" and "them" terms. I never want to assume someone is a specific gender based on their character is all im saying. I completely agree it is hard to determine ones gender from just a chat but until they tell you otherwise or you have spoken on voice with them, its in my opinion better and nicer to use neutral terms. I guess thats just me and how ive always been. Im not horrified by it i just hate that others make the assumption right off the bat.

While I get that females play video games, I don't believe it's that serious that they didn't apologize or the fact they expected you to be a guy. It's the internet and people don't tend to care over simple things like that. Males play females, females play males; it's just expected that a guy is on a girl character because of the mmo rule above lol and, again, it's the internet.

Glad you're playing the game and you have a character and class you like, however. 

Keep playing and enjoying yourself!

9 minutes ago, Yatosama said:

While I get that females play video games, I don't believe it's that serious that they didn't apologize or the fact they expected you to be a guy. It's the internet and people don't tend to care over simple things like that. Males play females, females play males; it's just expected that a guy is on a girl character because of the mmo rule above lol and, again, it's the internet.

Glad you're playing the game and you have a character and class you like, however. 

Keep playing and enjoying yourself!

You are absolutely correct. While an apology would have been nice i shouldnt expect it. It is true that its the internet however there is always someone on the other end and sometimes they can be more sensitive than others to this very thing and as a people/player we need to remember others feelings. Honestly it didnt really bother me that i didnt get an apology but i did feel the need to point it out that we do exist in games.

Thank you and i do enjoy the game more than i ever enjoyed a lot of other MMO's

Just now, Yatosama said:

Nah, you're not alone and your points are correct/spot on; however, it's like I said before, there are just so many people and it's the net. Not everyone will be that thoughtful, I suppose is the wording I'm looking for?

I personally prefer to use a username/shorthand of a username or IGN instead, since it's easier than even going he/she/they.

You really shouldn't let things like this get to you this badly, either("hate" is a very strong term imo/personally). There are things far worse and getting overly focused on it will only make you either more upset as you think on it or sick from the anxiety/etc that follows the thoughts. 

-nods- i agree not everyone is as thoughtful that unfortunately is something that will never change and thank you for your kind replies :)

14 minutes ago, LoliDolly said:

My only point is that its nicer to use a more neutral term, particularly in pug groups. I understand its not easy to know what the gender is but "parent" works and whatever. I have plenty of male friends that play female characters as well as female friends that play male characters and until i got to know them better when i referred to them in my clan i always used "they" and "them" terms. I never want to assume someone is a specific gender based on their character is all im saying. I completely agree it is hard to determine ones gender from just a chat but until they tell you otherwise or you have spoken on voice with them, its in my opinion better and nicer to use neutral terms. I guess thats just me and how ive always been. Im not horrified by it i just hate that others make the assumption right off the bat.

Nah, you're not alone and your points are correct/spot on; however, it's like I said before, there are just so many people and it's the net. Not everyone will be that thoughtful, I suppose is the wording I'm looking for?

I personally prefer to use a username/shorthand of a username or IGN instead, since it's easier than even going he/she/they.

You really shouldn't let things like this get to you this badly, either("hate" is a very strong term imo/personally). There are things far worse and getting overly focused on it will only make you either more upset as you think on it or sick from the anxiety/etc that follows the thoughts. 

There was a time I corrected people when they called me a guy, but I just gave up at some point. (I even tell people I'm a guy on LoL if they ask, because I know people on that game are pure s**t.) I've been gaming ever since I was young, it's as normal for girls to game as for guys, but they just can't seem to understand it . . .

As someone with imperfect english, i can tell you that it's a chronic problem with germanic language family. You simply can't refer to anyone without assuming his/her gender, see ? Even now i had to type both and that becomes a headache when i have to type something quickly. In my native language i.e. the pronoun that stands for he/she/it, refers to no gender, for brother/sister we use same pronoun.

Recently, people started to use '' Zhe/Ze '' as pronoun, but it just sounds awkward idk.

I experience opposite issue myself, playing a female character as a male '' seriously, who doesn't '', i have been referred as she/her many times. I never care about this. I sometimes do that myself too, especially a female character with a really feminine name, i sometimes refer to that person as '' she '' even if it's obvious that's a dude, i 've never received a correction for this, so not many people actually care about that.

I don't know why, but i find it really rude warning people just because they were inaccurate with the pronoun they used. Also going into too much details about gender/family/irl life in chat with random people is both unnecessary and weird, correcting others for that minor mistake ? Totally pointless, unless you are after some free stuff or extra attention, which stopped working long ago.

i usually just use HE (as he the player - as a gender neutral form the same way MEN can be used as a gender neutral form)

so... to all the girls/women/mothers in the game... .sorry if you feel i'm  being sexist.

and while some see "they" as a gender neutral form... it just doesn't look good

Okay so you got called daddy? big whoop just continue on and don't worry about it, it's a game where there is no 100% way to know what anyone is unless you hear them in Vent / discord. I personally call people by what ever the hell their character is (unless they fall into that 100% know prior) So if you're a dude running as a female toon be prepaired to be called she or her. I'm not gonna apologies either if you correct me, cause for all i know you can be full of shit and lying out your ass. 

I'm female but was thought to be a male for 2 years by some of my closest in game friends, cause i play male characters. I have been called he so many times I don't care anymore. 

I still don't get the point of this topic.

So you're triggered because someone called you "daddy" and you're even more triggered because he didn't apolgize for calling you daddy? Why should he? 

I don't get it why this is a problem. I call anything and everything "he" since it can be used as a neutral form and.. I dont think calling everything "it" to avoid people that feel triggered because I don't care about their gender is much better. I guess it would trigger even more people when I call them "it", lol.

2 hours ago, AlisaTheFluffy said:

As a girl myself, i stopped correcting people since it has no point at all. I just play the game and i don't really care what gender they call you in chat since you will probably never meet them again (or very unlikely).

^ This. I even stopped calling myself "she" and started using names that.. well no one that understands this name would expect im female at all. I started using names that sound nice in general without caring if they sound "female" since whats the point letting others know what gender I am? Im not getting better or getting more rewards by it (would be a shame if so). 

Most of the time there is someone starting to rage because he (she) is called "he" there are some stupidly annoying discussions so why should I bother calling myself a he? just making things annoying af.

The Internet is full of people who don't care because the platform offers a certain sense of anonymity. My advice is to keep enjoying the game and don't mind these things. I'd rally for a change if it was possible, but that would only make the trolls stronger. So, really, just enjoy the game and stuff. :)

So you think no one knows about "girls gamers"?

I dont care about the gamers grender, The only think I care about my party partners is (like RuPaul says) "Dont *cricket* it up"

It seems to me that more people are offended by Op's point then Op is about the situation. Some people don't see 'he' as neutral; its not a big deal to be corrected, however, I don't think anyone has to apologize for it either. Simply  point out the correct term if you feel like it and move on.  Girls/Women/Females playing games exist obviously,  people have habits and calling everyone online 'he'/male can be one of them.

If someone calls me dude or uses any other masculine word I don't bother to correct as it is online, people won't care nor believe if you say you are a female. There is either two possibilities: they will start trashtalking back at you or they will simply ignore that part. People I play daily with do know I am a female so they already use all feminine words when talking about me or to me but really strangers don't care. At worst case scenario they will turn toxic if you point out that you are female. I have had this happening before so I prefer now let it go and not taking it personally if I get called dude.

43 minutes ago, Lunakitty said:

If someone calls me dude or uses any other masculine word I don't bother to correct as it is online, people won't care nor believe if you say you are a female. There is either two possibilities: they will start trashtalking back at you or they will simply ignore that part. People I play daily with do know I am a female so they already use all feminine words when talking about me or to me but really strangers don't care. At worst case scenario they will turn toxic if you point out that you are female. I have had this happening before so I prefer now let it go and not taking it personally if I get called dude.

Lol half the time I'm still called he by a clan mate I have played with for years. We talk in vent all the time, it really just depends on what character i'm on. If i'm running my summoner he calls me she, but if i'm running my SF, WL, BD, Sin he says he.. even though i'm talking to him in vent at that very moment. People seriously need to stop playing the pronoun game.. it's getting old fast. 

Think there was only one time I was called dad when I had to get up mid raid to deal with my hell spawns. My reply was 'dad? yeah.. right.. think he's getting up off his shooter to deal with the minions? nah that's my job." Which got a laugh from the pt. Didn't raise a stink about it. 

This is the sort of post I'd expect from a teenager, not a mature adult. Big whoop they called you daddy, you simply correct them (better yet ignore it) and move on. Nothing else to it really. Most people will assume you're a guy since the majority playing MMORPGs are male. But to make a forum post about such a little thing... damn. It's the world wide web, going to need thicker skin to survive out there. 

I think you are making too much about it.

He/she/it doesnt know you, he/she/it just took a guess. I'm sure he/she/it didnt made it to offend or he/she/it thinks only males play games.

I have no idea why people make such a big deal of those things. I do the same, not because I belive females dont play games, but because most of the times assuming a person to be male is the correct guess. And I know various women who plays, this and other games, and I never tried or meant to desrespect or diminish them in anyway.

If after you said you are female, the treatment changed I see no reason for apologies, I usually apologize in this case just to be nice, because well, you cant expect me or anyone else that is not in a voice chat to guess the right gender, that's non-sense.

I don't see the problem. 

When this happens to me I just correct the person and go on my business. I don't know if it's because I'm not a spring chicken any more (35 years old here, also with a 11 years old gamer girl in the world) or because this happens to me in every game I go and it's happening since I started playing mmos with Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies and WoW but I don't see the problem. It isn't like you got insulted or something... Guys tend even today to think games are a cucumber farm but that doesn't bother me particularly. 

It's when some cavemen try to make a deal of it or start with mocking or insulting is when I have a problem... and trust me, I can really go ballistic in that cases but... luckily today the cases of men playing from the pleistocene aren't common anymore and I rarelly see these days a case of two neuron syndrome in games.

Just correct the guy and go on. I don't see the necesity of an apology ^ _ ^

4 hours ago, Proio said:

This is the sort of post I'd expect from a teenager, not a mature adult. Big whoop they called you daddy, you simply correct them (better yet ignore it) and move on. Nothing else to it really. Most people will assume you're a guy since the majority playing MMORPGs are male. But to make a forum post about such a little thing... damn. It's the world wide web, going to need thicker skin to survive out there. 

This conversation should have stopped right here,  Proio said it perfect, this is getting to much attention and has no real value.

They called you a guy, this is not a big deal when we all know males outnumber, it was not meant as an insult, nor did you have to tell him why you left, could have been simple  " brb 5 min" .. and that's it.

If you get offended or expect and apology over a chat with a random, well I have news for you "This is the internet" and you won't get it....  Now if you would have talked.. over a microphone and the same thing would have happened when the set person knew you were female, yes then it would have counted as an insult.

Let's move on people... nothing to see here.

Regarding to @eric11zhao  , that's not your call to make, maybe the kid is a gamer as well, maybe his 14 / 15 .. believe me at that age kids don't want to spend that much time with you, and if his 1-2 then yeah ok, but I know parents that can balance it out, they get to relax when the baby is sleeping .. or join sitting around not making problems....   not all kids are the same and not all kids have the same age, maybe she plays 1-2 hours a day, YOU DON'T KNOW...  so .. 

Archived