Soul Fighters Gameplay

ClaireFlavor25

The recent update made big changes to Soul Fighters and I believe this update made them extreeeemely boring to play. The most satisfying part of playing as a Soul Fighter was practically removed from the class. I want to bring awareness to this issue and hope to bring a change to the class. 

One change I think is necessary is the skill Frost Storm. This skill is a Soul Fighter's primary, and maybe the only, dps. Currently, both the skill options for Frost Storm cause a chill/freeze effect on who it hits which is problematic for dungeons like Naryu Foundry where the chill/freeze effect can cause mechanics to fail and put your team in an unfavorable position. One solution to this would be to create a third option for the skill that doesn't have the chill/freeze effect so Soul Fighters can fully participate in dungeons.

Now switching to the earth build is an option around this but let's be real, earth build sucks. It doesn't dps as much, it's slow, and it's just overall boring to use but in order to actually do damage during dungeons like Naryu Foundry, Soul Fighters are FORCED to switch to earth build. Key word here is FORCED because no one would use earth build if they didn't have to. The only thing I can say for earth build is to change the skills to allow for a faster play style. Building chi with earth build just takes too long.

The last and most important point I'd like to make is about what happened to Dragonpunch. Dragonpunch was the BEST! It made building up chi for this one crazy and empowering attack sooo satisfying. If anything, Dragonpunch was the defining attack for Soul Fighters and was possibly the main reason anyone even played as a Soul Fighter, but now Dragonpunch can only be cast after using Focus Chi which has a 1 minute cooldown. Limiting this amazing attack to just once per minute is just, simply put, the WORST. I miss being able to watch those flurry of attacks constantly. So bring back Dragonpunch! Please!

I quit playing Blade&Soul because of how depressing and boring Soul Fighters became. I really want to come back but I just don't see any reason to come back if I'm not having fun anymore. My Soul Fighter is the only character I put effort into and now all I have are low level characters I played on every once in a while when I had nothing else to do. Please do something for Soul Fighters. I really would like to come back to this game.

I sadly didn't participate in the golden age of the SF. But you are right. I rolled one a few days ago and deleted it at level 20 because it felt more like the broken halves of a FM and a KFM, and the halves chosen to get put together kind of didn't fully fit. Sure, I didn't get to the core of the class, but 20 levels should be enough to tell you if you will enjoy it in the end. Also the game now handing weak weapons and forcing players to play with those until Ivorymoon made for a rather frustrating level experience. But on topic, at least in my book, SF isn't winning any trophies for now. Though I still want to run the class up to max level to see if I'm wrong. The concept still greatly interests me. Even if it's not a KFM that can chuck fireballs as I once thought it was.

i completely agree with you.  ive been playing bs for like a couple months and when i saw SF i was certain im going to play this.  ive never seen in any mmos(or maybe im just not aware) that a class can do melee and range. its my main, i put effort in it, its hm9 now and i dont want to make another character.

our character topic is kind of dead, no one really talks about us here, no one really tells an upcoming newbie who asks which char should i pick as a main that you pick sf cause its awesome. i really hope we get something in the future, maybe the ultimate skills that korea already rockin' brings some refreshment and maybe, just maybe, one day ill see in dungeon lobby chat that "need sf".

2 hours ago, Inanhesh said:

i completely agree with you.  ive been playing bs for like a couple months and when i saw SF i was certain im going to play this.  ive never seen in any mmos(or maybe im just not aware) that a class can do melee and range. its my main, i put effort in it, its hm9 now and i dont want to make another character.

our character topic is kind of dead, no one really talks about us here, no one really tells an upcoming newbie who asks which char should i pick as a main that you pick sf cause its awesome. i really hope we get something in the future, maybe the ultimate skills that korea already rockin' brings some refreshment and maybe, just maybe, one day ill see in dungeon lobby chat that "need sf".

Pretty much every class in GW1 / 2 could be melee or ranged. And the hybrid classes in WoW, Druid, Paladins and Shamans. :o

Dual dagger close combat necromancers, dual wield sword mesmers and stuff. :p

5 hours ago, Fatalito said:

I sadly didn't participate in the golden age of the SF. But you are right. I rolled one a few days ago and deleted it at level 20 because it felt more like the broken halves of a FM and a KFM, and the halves chosen to get put together kind of didn't fully fit. Sure, I didn't get to the core of the class, but 20 levels should be enough to tell you if you will enjoy it in the end. Also the game now handing weak weapons and forcing players to play with those until Ivorymoon made for a rather frustrating level experience. But on topic, at least in my book, SF isn't winning any trophies for now. Though I still want to run the class up to max level to see if I'm wrong. The concept still greatly interests me. Even if it's not a KFM that can chuck fireballs as I once thought it was.

Lvl 20 is never enough to know if you like the class or not, most classes aren't "complete" until level 45-50, or at least they weren't pre-revamp to my experience.

Before level 40 or so, I really liked SF, then it went straight downhill even before the revamp, when I learned that the main rotation is 2 F RMB (don't let go of that button), oh, iron shoulder, F. Oh? almost out of focus, 2 F. V is usable? V hold that F. They changed that to: V is usable? V keep holding RMB. So instead of sometimes switching from you holding RMB to holding F, you now basically only hold RMB until your unresetable Z is ready.... where you keep holding RMB but look more fancy while holding it.

I'll be frank, I liked earth more than ice even before the patch, more buttons to press, much more fun, but oh so weak... But I also liked ice ranged more than earth ranged, same reason... but now I have to choose either to have a boring melee or ranged, which completely destroys my reason to play SF to begin with. Out of all the classes, the only class I like less right now is destroyer... The only thing that could possibly save that class for me now is the ranged mystic badge so I can simply pretend to be a FM....

3 hours ago, Yndril said:

Lvl 20 is never enough to know if you like the class or not, most classes aren't "complete" until level 45-50, or at least they weren't pre-revamp to my experience.

Before level 40 or so, I really liked SF, then it went straight downhill even before the revamp, when I learned that the main rotation is 2 F RMB (don't let go of that button), oh, iron shoulder, F. Oh? almost out of focus, 2 F. V is usable? V hold that F. They changed that to: V is usable? V keep holding RMB. So instead of sometimes switching from you holding RMB to holding F, you now basically only hold RMB until your unresetable Z is ready.... where you keep holding RMB but look more fancy while holding it.

I'll be frank, I liked earth more than ice even before the patch, more buttons to press, much more fun, but oh so weak... But I also liked ice ranged more than earth ranged, same reason... but now I have to choose either to have a boring melee or ranged, which completely destroys my reason to play SF to begin with. Out of all the classes, the only class I like less right now is destroyer... The only thing that could possibly save that class for me now is the ranged mystic badge so I can simply pretend to be a FM....

I agree that I'd need a level 50 to fully see a class, but at least for me, I never needed much leveling to realize if I liked a class or not. The first impression is what makes you either continue on or re-roll. For example, I didn't need 10 levels to know I'd like BD, and I played it back when it was supposedly weak (something I never felt myself but eh, people...) and it's only thing was it's spin2live mechanic. FM was the same. Chucking multiple colored balls of elemental chi was fun from the start. Other classes took a bit more, like KFM and Sin, where I needed a few more levels to truly appreciate them. But something about SF seemed off from the start.

Perhaps I really wanted something flashier. Maybe a fire build instead of ice. Or heck, maybe make a new "Light" element. I mean, wasn't Mushin a sort of SF who wielded Divine energy or something like that? Mushin or not, SF could have been a bit more appealing. I will most likely roll one again and see it through to 50. Maybe I'll find a set of combos I can like. That's the benefit of playing solo. You can either stick to the proven rotations, or mix and match your own, and nobody will blame you for any minimal loss of DPS.

i stopped playing the pve game about 3 months ago, but i did some daily for the back adornment and i dont know what game i am playing because SF output is always "as usuall".

pve wise u just ice build your way through RMB. moreover when awakened. geaer and awakened RMB are the best dps kit SF can have.

rest is accessory

15 hours ago, ClaireFlavor25 said:

One change I think is necessary is the skill Frost Storm. This skill is a Soul Fighter's primary, and maybe the only, dps. Currently, both the skill options for Frost Storm cause a chill/freeze effect on who it hits which is problematic for dungeons like Naryu Foundry where the chill/freeze effect can cause mechanics to fail and put your team in an unfavorable position. One solution to this would be to create a third option for the skill that doesn't have the chill/freeze effect so Soul Fighters can fully participate in dungeons.

Now switching to the earth build is an option around this but let's be real, earth build sucks. It doesn't dps as much, it's slow, and it's just overall boring to use but in order to actually do damage during dungeons like Naryu Foundry, Soul Fighters are FORCED to switch to earth build. Key word here is FORCED because no one would use earth build if they didn't have to. The only thing I can say for earth build is to change the skills to allow for a faster play style. Building chi with earth build just takes too long.

You are getting some things wrong here: 1. Only the right Path of Froststorm stacks chill (that is the one who is moving with you ) 2. you cannot Freeze Bosses with Froststorm because the first chill stack give the boss Nimble for 15 sec (Nimble gives the Boss immunity from slow debuffs ) and so he never will reach 3 chillstacks.

So you dont need switch to Earth build for NF.

For DF : I really like the rework of the skill , it is now a extrem great Burstskill both for pvp and pve.

dont know what u guys mean, for me personally ice was boring af, so i switched back to earth quite some time ago, ok, given that i play on tw and only rarely on na now, but can tell u, as soon as vt comes around, for dps, a fully geared earth sf will out-dps an ice sf by quite a bit during sb and stays higher in overall dps over time, which is mostly thanks to the better dps badges in earth than ice, meaning the combined earth badges plus the leg badge, which is just plain broken af.

i mean what's so interesting about ice? holding down rmb and the occasional f? seriously, i rather anicancel and enjoy the higher pace of the game, also with the cc components of earth fm stance, u got quite a different playstyle than with ice possible and for pvp earth is still totally awesome, especially if u got a raven weapon, soul, bracelet and then leg badge on top with guaranteed crit rmb's (which are brutally buffed with raven proc, badge and bracelet) on cc'd targets, which ignores def :P

• 3 weeks later...

OP is wrong about most things stated here. Last skills change put many things in right place for frost PvE SF. Wont go over froststorm and chill thingie again because its explained already, and DPS wise with BT shields, mystic badge and bracelet its just great skill that deals tons of DPS and you are still supposed to spam it very often (just now without following dragonfist). And about draginfist, except being fun, it was useless skill before patch. With full MSP soul shield to get max DPS output you would never use it, but just continue your regular DPS rotation. Now dragonfist is serious burst skill that does tons of damage, of course you can not spam it every 10 seconds like before, but then, you didn't want to do it anyways because of low DPS. So except SS switch stance thing that is annoying until you get used to it and and missing approach on iron shoulder for PvP, skill changes are really good for SF. Maxed gear frost SF is (arguably) top DPS class now and even earth comes close and can deal decent DPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, can't seem to change the letter color with my cell.

I´m still happy with my SF. I´m accustomed to have changes on my class due to all mmorpgs being like this (buffs, nerfs, changes in gameplay).

Also, I don´t really pay attention to the dps output or the ¨best rotation¨ out there. I just like to have some fun in the game and I love the versatility that the class gives; I can fight however I want: having 6 dodges, 5 secs of invulnerability, 4 types of fighting or smashing buttons (melee ice, melee earth, range ice, range earth), heal your party, revive your party members all at once, burst damage every minute, block. Seriously, I think I have enough for one class and I enjoy it all.

IMO the people out there only focus on dps this ap that and forget everything else. For me, it's a jack of all trades and I love it.

PS: this is all just my opinion, I know not everyone think the same.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 0:26 AM, Inanhesh said:

Julia raid might have a "Need SF" because of our heal.  That's about it.  Otherwise you won't see a "Need SF" - Ever... Summoners can do a larger heal now, with zero per-requisuites (like we need 3 stacks of Golden Dragon).

Now the SF is a lot of fun to play in PvE / Raiding and you mainly do KFM since it's about 80-90% of your damage.  I only do ranged damage when dodging a mechanic and end up in Ele stance, use a few burst and go back to KFM.

In PvP, you're forced to go frost for the rang poking and you play 80% of the time in PvP as a FM with only a quarter of the skills.  And PvP frost KFM stance is severely weakened and not really viable.  Earth build in KFM stance for PvP, is great, but the ranged portion is only good against BM's and Locks 'cause your Ripple Punch penetrates their perma-blocking.

I've gotten a KFM up to HM 9 and seriously SERIOUSLY have been thinking of making the switch.  And I've been main'ing the SF since it came out in NA.  SF's are too undesired/not understood (whole different can of worms there) and the least played and least fun in PvP anymore.  For PvE, we're kind of like a "cancer" class in that we hold RMB > 2 > F > F > Repeat.  Lol

Archived