Another BD or BM Question

Tojiro

So im a returning player, i quit around the release of Warlock and Hongmoon levels. Now I'm back and i see that the skill system has been redone.

On to my question though, before quitting i remember having quite a bit of fun with Blademaster, Once i got to the point where i could use draw stance more (the lightning sword) the class suddenly felt MUCH faster and fluid and fun. Has that changed at all since then? Also i think partially on top of that what i liked about Blademaster was being safe, blocking and then retaliating with quick lightning blade attacks.

Now i never played Lyn Blademaster (BD) Im curious how you all would compare there 2, and again since the skill system has changed how much did it change from what it used to be.

Which do you all feel plays faster and more fluid? Does Lyn Blademaster get a draw stance as well? can i whip out the sword and do quick stricks, then Q or E behind the enemy and continue? Any replies would be great, thanks in advance :)

Yeah BD has draw stance too. Just longer CDs to get there and no Q / E function to get in / out of it. Spin parry for the first 0.5 secs similar to Destroyers, but costs 2 focus and takes you out of draw stance.

Both are  quite fluid. Slightly more focus management needed on BD.

It's hard to compare the two class because the roles are different (BM is a tank, BD is a support-DPS) but here comes my opinions:

Blade Master

Pros:

- not the hardest class in PvE (but not the easiest)

- pretty easy fire build rotations

- decent/high DPS

- party protection (Winged Protector)

- easier to go & stay in draw stance (without any gear requirement)

- can tank (threat+, can block, etc.)

Cons:

- can be focus hungry (especially the lightning build)

- needs decent/good ping (ligning build requires anicancel)

Minor-cons:

- don't have any cc in draw stance (the 3 could daze but it's used as an i-frame in PvE)

- you have to switch back-and-forth in stances if you have to cc

- almost zero damage in basic stance

Blade Dancer

Pros:

- wind build is not that ping-dependent and the rotation is pretty easy (its basic rotation is RMB-RMB-RMB-F)

- decent/high DPS

- party protection (but not that great as BM's IMHO)

- good focus recovery (especially with wind build)

- has easy rotations

- grab (restraint skill for the party) is really-really useful!

- lots of easy cc (most of the time applies cc twice, so you can daze and stun with 1 button and KD with 2)

Cons:

- longer cd on draw stance switching skills

- less i-frames than BM (you can spec your stun V to a strong i-frame tho)

- needs decent/good ping for lightning build (constant anicancel)

- if you go to draw stance but you have to cc, you must switch back to basic stance and it's harder to switch to draw stance again

Blade master is easier and useful by being able to tank. They are easy to play but harder to both hit and block at the same time. Moderate strong class, Very good at tanking and protects your party alot. If you play fire you only need to hold RMB

Blade dancer is a quicker class since they can both move and hit at the same time. But they don't have any block so they won't be able to tank. But they are strong DPS class (second strongest imo) and once you have out of draw stance your basic stance rotation will never be out of focus. Ping required class if you are playing lightning but easy to play (spam f and lmb)

5 minutes ago, csisy said:

wind build is not that ping-dependent and the rotation is pretty easy (its basic rotation is RMB-RMB-RMB-F)

Not really, during wind surge (which is easy to keep up even without gear) your rotation is RMB RMB F. You should never have three RMBs in a row.

With HM Z the rotation becomes RMB F instead, if you get the mystic badge, it's RMB F during wind surge. And finally, RMB FFF (-1 F if you don't ahve mystic badge) during HM Z with F20 badge.

Just now, csisy said:

That's why I wrote BASIC rotation :) I know that it works like that but it's actually good that the OP will know this as well so ty for the addition.

I was still pissed by the game telling you to do multislash and 3 rmb F >_<

no1 uses wind build anymore and those that uses it idk why they use it tbh (for bd)

light build is really awesome after the latest changes... 

I REALLY enjoy my blade dancer and it's really easy to dodge stuff + can use your spin to protect party...

bd is really fun, I never really enjoyed blade master but that's also coz I DON'T like tanking since that role can b quite stressful in harder dungeons...

bd has all the CCs in the world they very fun to play with both in pve and pvp... while with bm... (again ... that's only my opinion) I don't really like the playstyle if you go fire build.... you mainly use one rotation and it gets boring fast :c +in pvp you mostly block and every time your opponent is stunned you do some offensive move... lol I find bd more mobile and more fun to play... not just this one rotation to go by and with the right gears + doing sunder you can heal yourself quite nicely which is awesome if you forced to tank coz the bm failed do his job and somehow died (happens :D ) lol

12 minutes ago, Yndril said:

Not really, during wind surge (which is easy to keep up even without gear) your rotation is RMB RMB F. You should never have three RMBs in a row.

With HM Z the rotation becomes RMB F instead, if you get the mystic badge, it's RMB F during wind surge. And finally, RMB FFF (-1 F if you don't ahve mystic badge) during HM Z with F20 badge.

That's why I wrote BASIC rotation :) I know that it works like that but it's actually good that the OP will know this as well so ty for the addition.

On 2017-04-26 at 8:25 PM, PKaBoo said:

no1 uses wind build anymore and those that uses it idk why they use it tbh (for bd)

light build is really awesome after the latest changes... 

I REALLY enjoy my blade dancer and it's really easy to dodge stuff + can use your spin to protect party...

bd is really fun, I never really enjoyed blade master but that's also coz I DON'T like tanking since that role can b quite stressful in harder dungeons...

bd has all the CCs in the world they very fun to play with both in pve and pvp... while with bm... (again ... that's only my opinion) I don't really like the playstyle if you go fire build.... you mainly use one rotation and it gets boring fast :c +in pvp you mostly block and every time your opponent is stunned you do some offensive move... lol I find bd more mobile and more fun to play... not just this one rotation to go by and with the right gears + doing sunder you can heal yourself quite nicely which is awesome if you forced to tank coz the bm failed do his job and somehow died (happens :D ) lol

Lightning haven't gotten any real change with the skill revamp though. Well except resetable C (which is good ofc). Wind however got a major makeover with the revamp, you can now actually have a rotation instead of praying to RNG that you get a crit every single hit. The addition of wind surge on multislash and skyward slash really makes a huge difference too. I much prefer Wind since the rework, even if it is slightly weaker than lightning still (and much more HM skill and gear dependent). You might not like wind, but truth is that it is now perfectly valid to play.

To OP:

The differences between the classes are that BD is a Support-DPS (restrain and plenty of CC) and BM is Tank-DPS (two blocks and tons of resists along with threat boost).

BD is lacking on reliable defensive skills, they have a 0,5 seconds parry on their spin (basic stance) or bladeguard (draw stance) if you spec them, BD is also harder to remain in draw stance (with only 4 skills that enters draw stance or 1 in wind spec, but wind does not need draw), the positive on that is that BD is not as crippled from being forced out of draw as BM.

BM is lacking in self-healing compared to BD, but their vast amount of i-frames and their no-cooldown blocks well makes up for that. Out of draw stance, no matter the spec, BM deals virtually no damage at all. It got an upside though, while BD isn't as crippled, BM have little trouble getting back into draw stance (think they have 4 skills that enters draw, however, all but one have short cooldown).

Both have a party resist (which shares cd), BD lasts 3 seconds and resist everything in that time, BM resist one attack within 5 seconds, HM version of it resists 3 attacks within 5 seconds, the duration reset on resist.

The main rotation of BD (lightning) is to keep up lightning surge (X,C,V and RMB during phantom grip) and ani cancel F with LMB (in draw stance), F in basic reduces the cooldown of Z.

For BD (wind) you keep your wind surge up (Z, X, "C", 2) and RMB RMB F (Basic stance during wind surge and same as lightning in draw). F in draw reduces the cooldown of Z. X reduces the cooldown of 2 which reduces the cooldown of Z.

For BM (fire) it's easy, you try to keep conflagration up, your F block in draw, Tab (most important), V (basic) into X (draw) for the longest. and then torture the RMB until conflagration runs out or you need to block or i-frame an attack. RMB reduce the cooldown of tab, and LMB reduce the cooldown of RMB (for when conflagration is down).

For BM (lightning) I'm not that experienced in, you need to keep fulmination up and ani cancel with LMB and RMB. I haven't played it much though, not sure which abilities that gives fulmination.

From the skill revamp, BM (fire) got their RMB cast time lowered (so it's easier to block an attack) but lowered its damage somewhat. they got their threat boost changed to their tab (so it should always be active now).

BD (wind) got a major makeover. Before, your RMB gave a wind focus/orb on a critical hit, and wind surge didn't exist. So you didn't have a rotation in wind before unless you could get to 100% crit. After the revamp, RMB now gives a wind focus/orb on hit rather than on critical hit, it also gives an extra focus/orb during wind surge which was added with the revamp, so you only need to hit twice during wind surge to use one F, instead of using 3+ for one F pre-patch.

Lightning for both are pretty much untouched, the biggest change I can think of is that C is resetable for BD now.

Archived