new player - warlock hm 5 & so many questions T^T

bakamono

hey everyone, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read and help (or throw salt, i'm happy either way).

there's a lot of stuff to go through to figure out what to do for this game, but there's a lot of great in-game help and sites with a ton of info, as well, that have helped up to this point. i think my biggest hurdle is the fact that i'm just brand new, plain and simple. this is only the second mmo i've ever played (coming from tera online), and i'm not quite savvy on what i should be expecting and how to make the strategic connections for my class and skills in the very specific dungeon scenarios we play through. i've been playing bns for a few weeks with some friends (also new to this game), so we've been learning as we go really. mostly, i've been button mashing at everything (yep, telling on myself), but i'm at the point where i definitely need guides to get a better understand of what my class actually does, what gear stats do for me, and how to use my warlock effectively, both solo and in parties/raids. being new, i don't actually know what guides to look at (there are soooo many), so i've been trying to read everything. i don't know whether the information is even relevant at this time (is the 2015 stuff still relevant??), or if it doesn't even matter and i should just keep face rolling everything, cuz, sb for the win! (joking, i promise!) i don't even know what stats are most important for warlock. am i squishy and should i focus on gear that buffs hp/def (yeah i am, if i try to get into a dg higher than my level), am i dps/support or support/dps (skills suggest dps/support, but again, not sure, and it matters because i need to know which way to spec my skills), do i need gear that increases def/block/evasion or hp/accuracy/piercing, or even something else?

since i don't wanna be that person holding everyone back due to poor gear choices and skill specs, or just so they can teach me 2 mechs every 4 seconds, can any of you grade-A warlocks recommend a good site for class guides or your favorite helpful youtubers? i'm pve-centric because i can't pvp to save my life - my isp (and my short, fat fingers) just ain't fast enough for all of that. basically, anything that gives me a better understanding of my skills, where my focus needs to be to best support the other classes or maximize dps output (dps/support or support/dps question again), what builds work when (i'm specc'd for skill spamming with a focus on kd & slowing atm, most likely not the best setup), or something like that. i know about the dg guides on reddit, have those babies bookmarked.

my next hurdle is gear. i know the hongmoon jewerly starting pieces are out of the game for new players (as of february, right?), so i don't have the earrings, necklace, or rings to worry about upgrading until i hit draken (which can't happen until i get muuuuch better). however, i have the belt and bracelet that i can upgrade. do i focus on upgrading my weapon to the max and ignore the belt and bracelet, do i upgrade all three at the same time, or do i completely ignore the belt and bracelet in favor of using whatever drops from the dg? am i just SOL for the benefits i missed out on with the hongmoon starter jewelry, or is something coming (soon, maybe??) that will be replacing that particular path?

i know new players get the ivorymoon sets, but there are pieces that "seem" better as in offering defense, block, and hp stats. what should i be going for instead? if there are there any sites that clearly lists gear/ss ranking, that would be so helpful! it seemed smart to run the dungeons in order, progressing to the next one when i've gotten every piece i can get from each one. i've been told there's stuff i don't need, and i feel like i'm wasting unsealing charms checking the stats on the new gear because i keep getting conflicting information. don't get me wrong, i check the profiles of other players - both warlocks and other classes - but, there seems to be a mixing of elements, especially with things like soulshields. for instance, i was told to get the 1-2-3 pvp soulshield pieces from battle ground trader, but i don't see many with those pieces. are they recommended starting ss for lv 50? i mean, the hp buff alone has been saving my butt from getting one-shot in avalanche den, so its clearly better than the set that i got at lv 50.

i kinda just feel overwhelmed with not knowing what i actually need to work towards, and it's frustrating. hoping for some insight on where to read up to have more fun at this game. its got a great story that i've enjoyed immensely, and while we're all waiting for the new content come out, i'd rather not give up on it just from lack of knowledge. feel free to tell me i'm an idiot for completely missing something obvious. >,<

Wow! That's alot of reading for us to do!

I'll try answer them all that I see you're asking for:

• First of all there is no support in this game. It's either DPS or DPS.. so you should go for DPS. Of course there is buffs for your allies but that doesn't make you support.
  • You way of fighting revolves around your wingstorm, Activate your wingstorm and reset it with your Imprison [3] and your Leech [F] which helps you be able to shoot more dragon helixes/dragoncalls [4]. In the next patch 12 april will hongmoon training room be available where you can practice combos and boss fights aswell which can help you with your combos.
  • Your gear should me maxed out with criticals. Get full yeti soulshield and open soulshields until you get criticals from it. With more critical you can dps more. Buffing HP or defence is unneccesary due to you can almost i-frame everything and take no damage. It's best recommended accessory are pinnacle accessories. You maybe can ask some kind people to help you with Soguns lament, Shattered mast and Gloomdross incursion which drops pinnacle accessories. Best for you to read some guides for mechanics in these dungeon before you go in to them, kind people lets you in if you know the mechanics. Otherwise if you can't do it, do Avalance den, Awakened Necropolis and Lair of the Frozen fang for Lucent accessories which is a weaker version than Pinnacles.
  • You're asking for a soulshield ranking and there is one in bnstree where you can check it. Otherwise I personally recommend you using full yeti soulshield (with crits) at first. Once you got it you should try breakthrough your weapon to Awakened Ivorymoon Razor which unlocks Soguns lament for you. Then you should go with 5 Soguns lament soulshields and 3 Twisted soulshield from Shattered mast (Because they give more critical). At last when you got these, buff yourself up over 600AP and go for Ebondrake citadel and Desolate tomb. But always when you try a new dungeon. READ A GUIDE FOR IT!

19 minutes ago, Munifex said:

Wow! That's alot of reading for us to do!

it really is, didn't realize i made a wall of text like that, but thank you for reading and replying!

the information you've given is great, and just what i'm looking for! thank you so much for the insight!!

5 hours ago, bakamono said:

I'll just add some random things as well...

- as munifex said, DPS and DPS only. Critical is esential stat for warlocks (triggering extra dragoncalls or returning orbs for helix), well as any other class lol, of course best paired with crit damage. Don't forget about piercing and accuracy stats too! Warlocks require proper management of cooldowns and cooldown resets, or your entire rotation falls apart. Defensive stats aren't really needed when you utilise your iframes, sadly warlocks have too few. Y, SS, and optionally on quell>repulse. BUT you have a nice bastion skill for damage reduction and healing that can save your ass (I still have trouble reminding myself it exists during boss fights)

- Soulburn... while it can be used at practicaly any time in lower dungeons, it may require some timing laters. Just a few examples...

-nexus - 1st boss - don't use it while boss has shield buff (starts right before CC phase)

-sogun -if it actually happens that silver and gold guys get 3 stacks of dust, they get a shield, again using sb would be a waste. On 2nd boss

(iruga), don't use during lightning throwing phase nor CC phase, unless the party is really desperate for CC resets. While fighting Asura,

don't waste SB before/during fire phase, since boss becomes immune to damage

-gloomdross - a waste while boss is jumping around

-masts - for last 30% of taikhan fight, time sb after blocking boss charge

Of course, you will get used to timing with experience.

- While you're watching guides, don't just pay attention to boss mechanics. If you are watching a guide played by warlock, pay attention to what they are doing. Or any other class for that matter - Iframes, blocking, running around, bursting, buffing...of course, it doesn't mean they have done everything 100% perfectly. Try to see if it is best fitting the situation. For DPS rotation guides...well what you can do as a warlock for good dps is pretty limited in rotation. Watching a few guides for different builds from few different channels should give you the general idea.

-Be aware of what your class can or can't do;

-CCs: double stun on thrall, potentional daze on 3, kd or daze on X (stun? meh). The root skill (stage 1 1) can mess up some boss mechanics,

keep in mind if you use it.

-healing or shielding your party (at least a little) with bastion

-reseting cooldowns with SB; don't use it immediately when a boss fight is starting to provide chance for double burst

-the block skill! don't get mauled by a boss swinging around, shove a paper in his face! Follow by a knockback repulse to show the trashmobs 

their place.

- shadow build is preferable for trash mobs - ice build takes too long to initialise,often resulting in dragoncalls vanishing in the void.

- 2 reliable and 1 optional derp iframe

-Accessories: the upgradeable ones; you can upgrade them to salvage later for some golden elements ?30? (needed for legendary gear), apparently it's cheaper than buying 20 gold a piece. You are fine using pinnacle until getting legendary ones.

-Weapon? keep upgrading while you find it reasonably cheap (from maintenance tomorrow that enters the legendary stages), maybe you will find yourself prefering waiting for another price reduction or keep upgrading.

-soulshields; you can check the best stats  and rolls on bnstree site, here are the old popular builds (pve); 

-for starters (immediatelly after finishing story and receiving silverfrost valor shield)  - full yeti (crit, acc if crit isnt a secondary roll - keep

using this formula) Don't   bother getting top rolls if you can enter nexus/sogun. Full set preferable until you get most of asura/be ido

or full set.

- asura 12468 be ido 3 5 7 - preferably top rolls if you dont wanna bother with MSP - * fuse with cheap silverfrost primers for crit or what

you prefer (green ones)

- moonlight (purple msp) mixed with asura or be ido in the 12468-357 fashion  *or this

- ebondrake 12468 desolate 3 5 7

- MSP legendary

- Raven legendary

- Stats to aim for (pve) : getting 120+% acc

~60% crit is a soft cap,get more or less, maybe you will prefer some defensive stats (playing with shield rolls and

primers)

15+% piercing

infinite crit dmg

Phew. Now enjoy my wall of text.

Archived