Forums

Ping way too high?

Shirokami7

In game you see latency. That is somewhat different thing from ping.

You can watch videos from Battle(non)sense to better understand how multiplayer games are working and how latency differs from ping. For example this one where he analyze netcode of titanfall 2: 

But in any case - 160 ms ping is VERY high ping for BNS. You should probably find server that is closer to you.

25 minutes ago, Nyaha said:

But in any case - 160 ms ping is VERY high ping for BNS. You should probably find server that is closer to you.

That's as low as ping will get for me. I've managed my whole life playing with high ping, it's just that I expected 160 and not twice that. 
Someone told me that the in game ping meter shows twice the ping I actually have though, is that true?

15 minutes ago, Nyaha said:

what you did not understand in my previous post?

What I don't understand are all those posts about talking how lag reliant classes are, as, should I have <50ms in the game meter or <100ms to be able to play a KFM viabily, for example. Because if it's latency wise, heck, the game is unplayable for me. That also makes me doubt what my latency actually is in other games like Tera, WoW, LoL, HotS, etc because they're servers close to B&S and the in game lag meter shows around 160ms and not as high as B&S. 
Well, basically, first line. 

26 minutes ago, Shirokami7 said:

That's as low as ping will get for me. I've managed my whole life playing with high ping, it's just that I expected 160 and not twice that. 
Someone told me that the in game ping meter shows twice the ping I actually have though, is that true?

Because BNS combat system requires two-way communication between your client and the server for each skill use, the ingame delay is an accurate measure of your latency on skill usage. (example: when you press a skill, your client sends a packet to the server saying you used that skill -> the server processes this and sends a packet back to your client telling it to actually do the skill -> your client processes the recieved packet and then the skill is used).

This type of combat system was built with extremely low ping in mind, to make reaction time an important key factor for the "action" feel of the combat, as well as making competitive play well... more competitive, due to player reaction time (skill) playing an important role.

Basically, whatever your ping directly to the server is, if processing time is next to nothing then you can consider that you pretty much have double that ping for actually using skills in combat.

NA internet infrastructure just isn't good enough for this kind of combat system.
You either live close enough to have a playable ping (with or without VPN), or you just have to deal with it.

11 minutes ago, Kami Sama said:

Because BNS combat system requires two-way communication between your client and the server for each skill use, the ingame delay is an accurate measure of your latency on skill usage. (example: when you press a skill, your client sends a packet to the server saying you used that skill -> the server processes this and sends a packet back to your client telling it to actually do the skill -> your client processes the recieved packet and then the skill is used).

This type of combat system was built with extremely low ping in mind, to make reaction time an important key factor for the "action" feel of the combat, as well as making competitive play well... more competitive, due to player reaction time (skill) playing an important role.

Basically, whatever your ping directly to the server is, if processing time is next to nothing then you can consider that you pretty much have double that ping for actually using skills in combat.

NA internet infrastructure just isn't good enough for this kind of combat system.
You either live close enough to have a playable ping (with or without VPN), or you just have to deal with it.

So the in game lag meter should show 50-150ms to play viabily? I'm completely screwed then, I was enjoying the game. RIP.

Just now, Kami Sama said:

If they make a really big difference then most likely your ISP hasn't set up peering and is doing a bad job with their routing.

Is that something I could get fixed? It'd break my heart further if with a ping program I'd get a better connection, none of them have payment options I can use

9 minutes ago, Shirokami7 said:

So the in game lag meter should show 50-150ms to play viabily? I'm completely screwed then, I was enjoying the game. RIP.

There's a good chance your data isn't taking an efficient route to the server.

Try wtfast or pingzappers free trials to see how much it lowers your ping. If they make a really big difference then most likely your ISP hasn't set up peering and is doing a bad job with their routing.

26 minutes ago, Azuzuzuzu said:

Change server to EU maybe? Even I have in EU about 150 ms, but with pingzapper it stays stable at 80, which actually helps me.

Tried, program is around 170ms but in game I still have 300ms 
I am confused

1 hour ago, Shirokami7 said:

Tried, program is around 170ms but in game I still have 300ms 
I am confused

Yeah if VPN's didn't lower it for you then you must just live way too far away from the servers to get better ping.

1 hour ago, Kami Sama said:

Yeah if VPN's didn't lower it for you then you must just live way too far away from the servers to get better ping.

What I want to know is if classes which are playable until X lag are playable for me, programs shows up to 170ms ping but 300ms in game, according to class guides, which one of them is the one that excludes me from playing?

17 hours ago, Shirokami7 said:

So every ping test to Dallas returns me around 160ms ping but in game I have 290-350ms? I had that very same ping to the Chinese servers of B&S, what's going on? Anything wrong with the options or just the servers?

Now, y'all know, everything's bigger in Texas.   heh.

ok, srsly, ponder this logic: 

if it was "just the servers" would we not all have bad ping?   

my ping is excellent in Ohio.  we have spectrum internet and they have smooth connections. I have a basically dedicated machine with a fresh game install on a fresh windows and basically no other crap running on this PC.   I tried to make everything smoooove from a-z, and it runs great. (my machine is an off-the-shelf best buy game machine, nothing crazy)

13 hours ago, Shirokami7 said:

What I want to know is if classes which are playable until X lag are playable for me, programs shows up to 170ms ping but 300ms in game, according to class guides, which one of them is the one that excludes me from playing?

I still want to know this

2 hours ago, Shirokami7 said:

I still want to know this

Don't have an answer to this, but have you ever tried a tracert to the BnS Servers. As people have tried to explain the issue probably isn't the BnS Servers or your ISP but a bad hop between them, if there was someway of identifying this, maybe your ISP could change the 'route' that your data takes to the required destination, thus helping your ping and your gameplay experience, not sure if they would do this, but it would be worth asking. Although it may end up routing via the bad hop.

All ping-related problems in BnS are because of the Tier 1 DNS providers in the regions. The server have nothing to do with this. People who claim to know so much should know that dont they? The server only process your data requests and send them to you. But after the data leaves the internal server, it goes directly in the DNS provider network and routing.

17 hours ago, NightFer said:

All ping-related problems in BnS are because of the Tier 1 DNS providers in the regions. The server have nothing to do with this. People who claim to know so much should know that dont they? The server only process your data requests and send them to you. But after the data leaves the internal server, it goes directly in the DNS provider network and routing.

You know DNS has basicaly nothing to do with routing or lags during gameplay, don't you? There is no reason for dns requests to be done more than once before the connection is established so it could cause some lags when creating new connections (loging in, changing between game server arena/dungeon lobby...) but it shouldn't cause any delays when playing.

I think you meant internet connection provider and his network (it can be, but don't have to be, same as DNS provider).

18 hours ago, Shirokami7 said:

I still have the same question unclear

the least ping related class is probably a summoner. But you will still have a bad time trying to do more complex mechs and/or trying hard to get you dps high. Also - forget about pvp above silver rank.

I need to jump in the conversation after i see a bunch of people talking crap about things they don't know. If you believe DNS server are the cause of your troubles then feel free to change them: https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062.

Find a guide on how to change ipv4 and ipv6, DNS server, etc. That will not do much and sometimes the results were worst than expected. The best result is to call your ISP and check your connection but don't expect miracles. Sometimes Customer Service reps they don't know crap and will try to sell you a "better" internet package.

I feel your pain of not being able to play the game you "like" but I accepted reality and no matter what I do I, grow tired of making this game work as it should be, vudo this crap and still i don't get any improvements. Hell, 64bit made the game more stable, at least my game doesn't crash at the loading screen but still I'm not getting even 1 fps.

Now to answer your question, What class can be played with high ping? WL, SCUMONER, FM are the best in my experience. The thing about lag is that sometimes it may reset your skill or not. Spend your long cool-down skill and don't do any damage, target the wrong mob, dash at wrong time, etc, etc. WL and FM dps is really high. Like you were told before, Sins need to meet certain requirements like poison stack, stealth while a WL or FM will just spam their crap.

At 300 ms range don't play sins, KFM, SF. I don't know about BL's and LynBL's.

I always tell people that if a VPN doesn't help you with your connection then don't even bother to play BnS. I find it strange that I play just like when I was playing on the JPN servers. I thought a NA server was going to be better but it turn out is just the same. The world is much bigger than BnS, wake up people.

Archived