Blade and Soul performance on Ryzen?

Marqin

Hi,

Has already anyone benchmarked how Blade and Soul works on those new Ryzen CPUs and can share results?

Btw. did we also get better multi-core support with 64-bit client, or it's still KR-only?

4 hours ago, Marqin said:

Hi,

Has already anyone benchmarked how Blade and Soul works on those new Ryzen CPUs and can share results?

Btw. did we also get better multi-core support with 64-bit client, or it's still KR-only?

AMD only releases Ryzen 7 for now which offers 8 cores and 16 threads, so I highly doubt that blade and soul will gain any sort of performance considering that the R7 1800X clocked at 3.9Ghz performs worse than i7 7700k clocked at 5.0Ghz. Plus no games until 2nd of March will be utilizing all 8c/16t and most games would only be using 4c/4t for now. You have to wait for Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 3 if you plan to upgrade your PC for gaming perspective.

Edited by Na Ahri

4 hours ago, NightFer said:

No it doesnt have multi-core support because of the UE3 limitations geez. You know names of stuff but you dont know the basics.

Seems I know more than you think. They had implemented multi-core with 64-bit upgrade in UE3, few years ago.

one of sources: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/epic-licenses-tbb-for-ue-licensees

Edited by Marqin

The new RYZEN chips are not better than anything for gaming. Nobody in their right mind would buy a 6900k for gaming purposes either, so comparing it to that when your intention is to play (ESPECIALLY older games such a blade and soul) is completely irrelevant.

Dont get me wrong RYZEN is a great cpu, especially considering amds past processors and comparing it to what intel has to offer for production work its pricing is insane. But for gaming ABSOLUTELY not! Maybe when they release the 4 cores, that might be fine valuewise, eventually. We dont know that yet. I dont really expect them to beat the 7600k/7700k either, but they might be a good value option.

Either way i would not recommend RYZEN just yet, because in buying an ryzen cpu your also sort of buying yourself in into AMDs beta for their completely new platform. Youll eventually run into troubles here and there and programms might not perform properly as they are not optimized for it. Older programms also probably wont even attemt to optimize anything for RYZEN. There is a lot of issues still. Even things like AMDs version of hyper threading, they call SMT backfires sometimes as SMT does introduce a lot of overhead that intel had too at some point, but got mostly rid of to the point where it no longer effects performance, but with RYZEN right now you actually might suffer performance decrease by having SMT enabled when using programss that wont benefit from the extra virtual cores.

If you want a great CPU for mainly gaming and especially older games like balde and soul intel is still the way to go (7600k or 7700k). I dont dislike amd at all, but even if they would slightly crush intels lineup in the gaming segment with the pricing, witch again they dont anyways, i still would not be too comfortable buying a completely new cpu until there was a lot of time for possible refinements on the board manufacturer side and better even a RYZEN v2 launch that might improve SMT further and things like that. I dont need a new cpu myself i just was curious what amd put out, but i would not have bought it either way as im perfectly happy with my 4790k, still.

If youre gonna buy an 1800x you pretty much have to have another use for it than just gaming as for pure gaming id recommend the 7600k over it any day. Better performance out of the box, cheaper, overclocks better and its around for much longer. The 1800x is not abysmal for gaming either, but its just not what you want to buy unless you have a better use for it alongside of gaming.

Edited by N3ro

On 3/3/2017 at 2:48 AM, Marqin said:

Hi,

Game's engine was designed with no foresight in mind, little to none whatsoever. Therefore it will never get proportionally better with a better cpu, even if the cpu has more cores etc. What does matter is core POWER the power of EACH CORE. This is why if you wanna play bns decent enough you'll need a cpu with very good single core performance. Cause, like others also said, the game only utilizes probably two cores at most and most cpus nowadays are quad and up(which usually perform better with all cores being used and worse in single core use)...also most cpus nowadays also have better SINGLE CORE performance and sadly most if not all of these cpus are intel only. I say sadly because that means they get to charge a premium since no one else is doing it. Once this continues they'll keep price gouging gamers, like majority of the gaming industry does anyway xD

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2017 at 6:48 AM, Marqin said:

Hi,

2 hours ago, Space Jesus said:

So no one with the same GPU can answer if Ryzen is worst than i5 on BnS ?

I'm looking for Ryzen R5 VS Core i5 + GTX 1060 VS RX 480 comparison

on R5, depends on the GPU it seems, if you are using a NVIDIA GPUit sucks comparing to intel (NV drivers are probably not optimized for AMD platforms), if you are using a pure AMD platform (Ryzen 5 paired with R9 or 480) is is as good as the intel platform.

anand's directx9 benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/the-amd-ryzen-5-1600x-vs-core-i5-review-twelve-threads-vs-four/14

PS: i dont know if NC is using builds with intel's TBB ( in that case intel might be ahead a few percent points)

and then is also the problem with physX, as it is meant to do do GPU acceleration on NV GPUs, so if you go AMD route, you  will probably also loose a few % of the rysen core usage for the physics simulations

Edited by Dotimus

Bad point for Ryzen + nVidia GPU on DX9. At least on 1 game (Rocket League), it seems there are issues. Now, is it same problem with BnS?

So any build is good, excepted Ryzen CPU + nVidia GPU where it could be bugged on DirectX 9 (BnS).

And no need to go on a 8 cores Ryzen for gaming as 6 and 8 cores have same game results. 6 cores Ryzen (1600X, 1600) is a very good alternative to i5-7600K and 4 cores Ryzen could be enough for any DX9 game, but this statement needs proof (and tests)!

Edited by Space Jesus

Ryzen 1600x is a 4ghz p/p cpu.. If you are recording live broadcast and playing game , Ryzen 1600x/1800x is giving much better performance than all i5-i7. 

Ryzen 1600x (6core/12threat) - 3.6-4ghz - OC 4.6 ghz-5ghz (with water cooler) Stable

Ryzen 1800x (8core/16threat) - 3.6-4ghz - OC 4 ghz-4.5ghz (with water cooler) Stable 

But if you say "i will play only games and i need a cpu for that." , you can buy i7 7700k. This cpu is the best gaming processor.

Edited by Divine Dragon Soul

well, let's put it this way R5 > i5 in any case (unless you care about 2-3 extra fps and and you do only gaming), r7 is a not pure gaming CPU it's loosing to 7700k but it's wins if you do more with PC. Many said and I may repeat 

Ryzen is future proof CPU and you know it's good to have competitor back on stage anyway!

In recent tests Ryzen 7 1700x and 1800x actually beats or is on par with intel 7700k. The trick is, Ryzen gets huge performance boost on faster rams. Get your rams to 3200-3600 and Ryzen will beat intel 7700k. Plus Ryzen is new platform, it will become better with time with BIOS and game updates. Getting 7700k is pointless. Ryzen is future proof, 7700k is not.

28 minutes ago, WhySoSeriousBro said:

In recent tests Ryzen 7 1700x and 1800x actually beats or is on par with intel 7700k. The trick is, Ryzen gets huge performance boost on faster rams. Get your rams to 3200-3600 and Ryzen will beat intel 7700k. Plus Ryzen is new platform, it will become better with time with BIOS and game updates. Getting 7700k is pointless. Ryzen is future proof, 7700k is not.

Errrr What?!?!? 7700K is proven to have a higher IPC that Ryzen, meaning per clock the 7700K is faster, so by that and that alone, surely the intel CPU would be better for multi-thread limited titles(Blade and Soul).

Future proof? How can you possibly say that? Do you know the future? BIOS updates and optimisations will only provide so much performance increases. It's not future proof, it's just current. There is no doubt that AMD has made a great processor here, and i'm sure the rest of the line will finally give Intel something to worry about, and it's about time too!!! Intel haven't had a worthy competitor since the Core 2 series was around, which is a long time in computing.

What would i buy if i had to upgrade tomorrow? Intel would still get my money. Lets see how well AMD supports it's own platform? how soon will it be before they abandon their own tech and rely on third parties for chipset improvements!! Sound familiar? Welcome to AMD. Future proof my back foot!!

It might sound like i'm bitter(maybe a little), but how many times has this happened before?

New and cheap ssd that are faster then pci ssd will be soon out for intel. You can get it for 50 - 70 euros and that will be awesome for game loading and windows apps etc. There are much more features intel has that amd can't even touch but not many talking about that. And if you look at pricing then think again, older generation intel still kicks in performance. And only paid reviewers show amd glory while other show more realistic results. Sure you can OC but it's not that straight forward + many have problems. I bet next generation of amd maybe will start turning tables but this is nothing more but hype. And from what I've seen intel hater could not afford intel cpu and then with new amd there is a reason or excuse to hate more. Rarely you will hear someone with i7 complaining and can't wait to switch.

Amd never was consistent with their performance and they even never stick to their technology like mantle.

One point no1 said yet:

99% of games when played at high resolution (1440p or higher) are GPU Bound and hence does not matters which processor you are using.

Cant say about others, but I buy a PC to play it max graphics, not to have 300 fps with low resolution and no eye candy stuff.

In the end I would rather get a 8c/16t ryzen future proof which is as good as a $1000 intel, than buy a 4 core. As some people stated ryzen is at its early days, there are alot of things to be improved.

Either way, blade and soul isn't gonna be optimized to use your shit anyways, so there is no future proof from BnS other than if you got an high end CPU. It'll run well, just not 100% of the power you should get. 

Thread is getting way off topic and talking about other games instead of blade and soul itself, but we already know the issues why anyways lel.

Right now, we are speaking about Ryzen for BnS, not for all (modern) games. Stay focused on the subject.

(For informations, modern games handle max 6 cores / 12 threads, for both Intel or AMD CPUs.)

3 hours ago, Divine Dragon Soul said:

Ryzen 1600x is a 4ghz p/p cpu.. If you are recording live broadcast and playing game , Ryzen 1600x/1800x is giving much better performance than all i5-i7. 

Ryzen 1600x (6core/12threat) - 3.6-4ghz - OC 4.6 ghz-5ghz (with water cooler) Stable

Ryzen 1800x (8core/16threat) - 3.6-4ghz - OC 4 ghz-4.5ghz (with water cooler) Stable 

But if you say "i will play only games and i need a cpu for that." , you can buy i7 7700k. This cpu is the best gaming processor.

Max stable OC for Ryzen is 3.9 / 4.0 GHz under Air Cooling, not 4.6... All Ryzen are clockable around 3.8 GHz, +/- 100 MHz (related to CPU quality variability). Plus, Boost is disabled if you OC (no +500 MHz boost mode).

EDIT: Sorry, I've read Wraith Cooler instead of Water Cooler. My bad. Water coolering is not mainstream... Don't think that is relevant here. Plus, I've read on technical topic that the problem of Ryzen OC is voltage stability, not temp.

3 hours ago, WhySoSeriousBro said:

i7-7700K is also improved with high speed RAM. Not as Ryzen is, but boosted too. So... basically yes, a Ryzen R5 coold be better than a Core i5 if it's OC with high perf RAM (if there is no RAM bug...).

But of course, if BnS can handle 4 cores max, a 6 cores (R5 1600, R5 1600X) could be a good choice if you run parallel apps, like Web browser, TS/Mumble, twitching, etc...

Edited by Space Jesus

14 minutes ago, Space Jesus said:

Right now, we are speaking about Ryzen for BnS, not for all (modern) games. Stay focused on the subject.

Max stable OC for Ryzen is 3.9 / 4.0 GHz under Air Cooling, not 4.6... All Ryzen are clockable around 3.8 GHz, +/- 100 MHz (related to CPU quality variability). Plus, Boost is disabled if you OC (no +500 MHz boost mode).

i7-7700K is also improved with high speed RAM. Not as Ryzen is, but boosted too. So... basically yes, a Ryzen R5 coold be better than a Core i5 if it's OC with high perf RAM (if there is no RAM bug...).

But of course, if BnS can handle 4 cores max, a 6 cores (R5 1600, R5 1600X) could be a good choice if you run parallel apps, like Web browser, TS/Mumble, twitching, etc...

FSB : 100 mhz  and 36x clock lock = 3.6ghz base core speed 

FSB : 115 mhz and 40x unlock clock = 4.6ghz oc core speed (ddr4 2666mhz working with %15 oc 3000mhz+)

You need a water cooler and %15 oc ram speed.