GameGuard - Official response?

Tempestive

Greetings, all.

I haven't posted anything on this forum before, but I felt this matter needed an updated discussion.

I started playing BnS just the week before the Raven Wings patch, and I was negatively surprised to see GameGuard as an anti-cheat software being used then.

Ever since the update, and the corresponding GG patch, I felt performance issues (granted, I'm running BnS on an old rig) that I hadn't felt the short time I played before, up to the point where the game became unplayable for minutes at a time, along with inability to manually terminate the game client after the increasingly frequent CTD's.

Since then, I've been googling and reading up on GG on these very forums, but I did play Aion, and I do remember the mess it was. Some other games I played used GG as well, and those were often the games I ended up uninstalling shortly after installation.

From what I gather, there has been - and not surprisingly - a lot of discussion on this since 2015.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is the following:

- There is a large amount (?) of players who are not satisfied with the use of GG;
- There is a large amount (?) of players who defend the use of GG, often stating those who don't are hackers;
- GG, afaik, is not the most effective or safe solution, although I can't point one out that is;
- After being generally accepted as controversial issue, which is causing more harm than good to NCSoft: if not for the quality - or lack thereof - of the software being used, for the singular motive of costumer satisfaction, there should at the very least be an official address with measure to take - or not - regarding this.

AFAIK, GG is not very effective at doing it's job. Granted, it might be better than nothing and you can't please everyone, but I believe it's been repeatedly and continuously shown in many cases it is NOT the way to go to prevent cheating effectively and noninvasively.

I found previous petitions - both for and against removing it - but I found no formal petition, only forum threads with "+1's".

Since I found no current action for this issue, I think a formal petition, or something in those lines should be made. Not for removing, but for replacing it with a "least bad" one.

Still, I posted this matter here first, as constructive feedback before doing so myself will be appreciated.
If I wrote something blatantly wrong or just misinformedly please let me know.

Gameguard is a rootkit, simply put, its an open door to your computer for hackers and other malicious things. The reason that hacking is an issue and that Gameguard isnt doing anything to stop it is because 1. It is too easy to bypass and 2. Too much data is stored client side that hackers are modifying. if all that information that hackers are messing around with was stored server-side hacking would be a far less serious issue. the fact remains however that GameGuard does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent hackers with the ability to use google search, all it does is consume a butt-ton of system resources and cause issues for legitimate players, it serves no prupose, if they want to use an anti-cheater system there are far better options than this bloatware rootkit known as GameGuard, and i would be all for a superior anti-cheat program, something like what is used by WoW for instance, but GG is rubbish and actually worse than useless

• NCSOFT

Greetings,

This is a quick reminder that we do read the forums and forward feedback to the appropriate team. Please keep the discussion going and make sure you stay within our Code of Conduct, which you may review here: 

We would like to especially point out this section:

"Spamming, Trolling, or Topic Bumping 
These forums are an excellent tool for us to collect feedback and keep up with issues that are important to the community. Being intentionally disruptive, derailing threads, creating threads meant to act as ‘votes’ or petitions instead of discussion points and creating posts or threads intended to cause unrest in the forums are not behaviours conducive to this goal.
This includes, but is not limited to, bumping threads (except for guild recruitment) and posting memetic images or phrases that add nothing to the discussion."

Thank you!

On 20/02/2017 at 1:34 PM, PhoenixMitra said:

We would like to especially point out this section:

"Spamming, Trolling, or Topic Bumping (...)
(...) creating threads meant to act as ‘votes’ or petitions instead of discussion points and creating posts or threads intended to cause unrest in the forums are not behaviours conducive to this goal.

I am not intending to create a "petition thread" on this forum, I was only pointing out that those are not actual petitions, and that it seems at a first and second look that there are more than enough players complaining about this issue to create an actual, formal petition, if that's what is needed to warrant some attention to this problem.

Edit: Apologies if it seemed hostile, I guarantee that was not my intention. If anything, only concerned.

As I mentioned before, the performance issues that are almost certainly caused largely by GameGuard are continuously making my client freeze, crash, and burn, up to the point where playing the game is nearly pointless since I spend more time starting the game again and manually bypassing the hidden client.exe to forcefully terminate so I can play again, than I actually spend playing.

I just wanted to mention that at least for me, how the company tackles the issue in the nearby future (I hope) will influence my decision to keep playing and investing in this game.

Archived