Why isn't a Destroyer a Real Tanking Class

Criston

This is a simple question, one that has kept me from really diving off into any real raids/Dungeons.  There isn't a tanking class in this game.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that there are not classes that could tank, but a real tank, nope, there isn't one.  I would like to see a Destroyer have a strong Threat generator and have the defenses to take the damage a real tank has to take.  I have played MMOs from the time they first came out.  I was a Warrior tank and once the DKs came out, switched to that class.  I have been a Pally on another game and so on.  I like tanking, however, even with the strongest builds I have seen, no class is a real tank.  The Destroyer class is just screaming tanking class to me and it's a shame to feel like a class like this is just being wasted.

I know that it's a stretch to see things my way but I watch BDs and FMs die a lot in Dungeons because when they pull aggro, they can't survive the assault that comes with it.  A destroyer should have a damage reduction and be given a very high threat rating in my opinion.  Having and actual tanking class makes games that require teaming far more fun for me and many of my friends (several of which came to try the game out and left after they went through Tomb of Exiles saying that the mechanics and class design wasn't going to work for them)

I am wanting feedback on this idea as I really have no idea how the rest of the games Community would feel about such a change.  I only know what I would like to see and therefor am asking for your opinions as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, Destroyer is not a tank class, however it's a sub-tank class. If you spec Z into stage 2, you can steal aggro from any class within 3 second and then your threat damage will be generate 150%.

The class that can tank in this game is KFM and BM since they can maintain 150% threat all the time and they do have a skill which buff 300% threat so that nobody can have aggro except them. The exception is DES's Z skill and SUM's cat taunt can taunt and steal it or you match up with someone have well-geared. So to put it simple, Destroyer can save anyone within a time limit when tank can't hold aggro and hold the boss until tank get aggro back.

At the early stage of this game, you won't see it clearly since the mechanic is simple and it doesn't require many role to fill. But you will enjoy your class role later when you reach level 50 to be able to do Big dungeon or Raid where you will need a true tanker to hold him at the middle or a healer to keep everyone alive from Damage-over-time debuff (for example Naryu Foundry.)

But it's true that Destroyer is not a tanker but a supporter.

10 minutes ago, Kaidan said:

Yep, Destroyer is not a tank class, however it's a sub-tank class. If you spec Z into stage 2, you can steal aggro from any class within 3 second and then your threat damage will be generate 150%.

The class that can tank in this game is KFM and BM since they can maintain 150% threat all the time and they do have a skill which buff 300% threat so that nobody can have aggro except them. The exception is DES's Z skill and SUM's cat taunt can taunt and steal it or you match up with someone have well-geared. So to put it simple, Destroyer can save anyone within a time limit when tank can't hold aggro and hold the boss until tank get aggro back.

At the early stage of this game, you won't see it clearly since the mechanic is simple and it doesn't require many role to fill. But you will enjoy your class role later when you reach level 50 to be able to do Big dungeon or Raid where you will need a true tanker to hold him at the middle or a healer to keep everyone alive from Damage-over-time debuff (for example Naryu Foundry.)

But it's true that Destroyer is not a tanker but a supporter.

Don't worry, We won't have that z kick aggro thing no more :D

12 minutes ago, Valiant said:

Don't worry, We won't have that z kick aggro thing no more :D

Yeah, it's so sad to see they remove the skill from KR version. And when it comes to NA. we won't be able to become tank. But I do hope that they will give the skill back when it launch in our NA server.

8 minutes ago, Kaidan said:

Yeah, it's so sad to see they remove the skill from KR version. And when it comes to NA. we won't be able to become tank. But I do hope that they will give the skill back when it launch in our NA server.

We won't get it back, it complete skill change and we going to get it.

So enjoy as this game make destroyers quit forever

Grab is an amazing party buff that can be used in 90%+ of the games content.  They can get enough dps to solo every single dungeon, and our taunt kick + insane defense buffs and life leech make us an unkillable tank in 95% of the games content. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5.3.2017 at 9:52 PM, TJXX said:

Grab is an amazing party buff

Ohh ofc, a grab !

Every Team is useless without a Grab from Destroyer !

Thats the reason why Destroyer deals no damage !

And what is with SB/BB and BD Grab ? Why do this classes damage ?

They can get enough dps to solo every single dungeon

a Destroyer with 700~ Ap need for the Dungeon XXXX 10 Minutes.

a Blademaster with 550~ Ap need the same time..

But u are right, a destroyer can do a single dungeon solo !

and our taunt kick + insane defense buffs and life leech make us an unkillable tank in 95% of the games content. 

Ohhhh ok so Destroyers are the real Tanks ? and not KFM or BM ?

Destroyer is aktually really bad.

Other Classes deal much more Damage, other Classes are better in tanking and other Classes have a better or the same party ''buff''.

12 hours ago, Intoleranz said:

Ohh ofc, a grab !

Every Team is useless without a Grab from Destroyer !

Thats the reason why Destroyer deals no damage !

And what is with SB/BB and BD Grab ? Why do this classes damage ?

Other classes give party buffs too, that doesn't make destroyer grab any less amazing.

a Destroyer with 700~ Ap need for the Dungeon XXXX 10 Minutes.

a Blademaster with 550~ Ap need the same time..

But u are right, a destroyer can do a single dungeon solo !

I'm interested in seeing you or anyone prove this, I can currently solo almost every dungeon on my destroyer in 5-30 minutes.  DT/EC/NF are the only 3 I currently can't, and sogun's takes some super RNG to get Iruga down solo, but that's it.  Show me proof that every single other class can solo every dungeon in the game without a Critical/True soul or raven weapon faster than I can.

Ohhhh ok so Destroyers are the real Tanks ? and not KFM or BM ?

I never said KFM or BM aren't real tanks, I simply pointed out that a destroyer also makes an excellent tank.  I know I have no problems holding threat or getting it back right after I grab over someone doing double my dps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2017 at 9:34 AM, Criston said:

The Destroyer class is just screaming tanking class to me and it's a shame to feel like a class like this is just being wasted.

To me it as way more of a barbarian/berserker vibe, so the is class almost where it should be.

The little dressed (obvious for females gon but males are bare chest often too) & big build race only, with a big weapon and rage/fury/wrath/headbutt/smash type skills, modarately nimble (less than a knight/paladin but more than a assassin/thief) is the image of a barbarian/berserker to me.

The class is fine being an off-tank one to me but definitely lack dps since barbarian/destroyer archetype should also be an heavy hitter.

Archived