Magnum Badge or Holy Fire Badge?

Maraah

While I dunno yet if it is the best, but Summoner's blue badge A (Holy Dire) that resets Flying Nettle upon Doom'n'Gloom has more use than the other blue badge B (Magnum, which is Thorn Strike creates a 10s stacking buff that will allow free spamming of Flying Nettle for 3s

The reason:

-Blue B is strictly for Earth build. You can only use it in Wind build if you have Soulburn. Meanwhile, Blue A can be used for both build

-Blue B is another mini-game of cooldown management. You have to constantly hitting Sunflower to reduce cooldown of Thorn Strike, so that you can use Thorn Strike in time to stack the buff. Blue A = one button press.

-Blue B lacks of initial burst due to have to build up. This is, interestingly, also the weakness of Earth build: even with soulburn on, you have to build up the Photosynthesis for like 5s before being able to fire Sunflower faster, making you not taking advantage on the power-boost of your soul. Blue A suffers less regarding less of build, as it can create for like four batches of Flying Nettle within 5s, two before and two after soulburn. 

-Blue B will be combined with a very not useful Floor 20th badge - Reduce cooldown of Thorn Strike with Seed Shroud. You don't want to try this during hard boss fight, and some bosses won't let you have chance to use Seed Shroud. Meanwhile, Blue A combines with Red A that allows Flying Nettle reduce root cooldown by half. In short, with combined Blue A and Red A, you will be able to pull two root instantly for pvp, and extra DPS for non-root Weedwhack.

-Blue A is harder to use in ToI/6v6 due to the need of stacking buff. You tend to use longer-cooldown CC version of Thorn Strike, and your opponent don't often let you off the hook to stack the buff. Blue B is more simple to use.

-Blue A synches with very well with Wind build and 3 Spire 5 MSP until you get 8 Spire.  Meanwhile, Blue B is strictly for Earth build only, so you can only go with MSP 8-set.

From what I heard, people in other server use more of Blue A instead of Blue B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2017 at 9:37 PM, Alysha Hawkeye said:

While I dunno yet if it is the best, but Summoner's blue badge A (Magnum) that resets Flying Nettle upon Doom'n'Gloom has more use than the other blue badge B (Holy Fire, which is Thorn Strike creates a 10s stacking buff that will allow free spamming of Flying Nettle for 3s

I Just want to clarify for anyone looking at this post that you have the names backwards. Holy Fire is the combo with DnG while Magnum is the one with the stacking "Masterpiece" effect.

14 hours ago, Glavos said:

I Just want to clarify for anyone looking at this post that you have the names backwards. Holy Fire is the combo with DnG while Magnum is the one with the stacking "Masterpiece" effect.

Fixed.

Also, here is my input of thought on Magnum badge. I haven't gotten the badge yet, but its mechanic works similar to Summoner's bleed stacking with Thorn Strike.

-Magnum requires you to get cooldown of Thorn Strike drops by at least 9s, meaning that you have get critical with Super Sunflower for at least 3 times. But 9s is kind of dangerous as you might miss then last second and have to re-work all the way again, so you will need 12s, meaning 4 critical with Super Sunflower before Masterpiece buff runs off. This is actually pretty hard to pull, since if your Super Sunflower does not critical even just once, you fail to stack up the buff. If you have 200 ping+, you might score four Super Sunflower within 8s, and all of them have to be critical. If you succeed, you will enter Overflow mode and can easily stack up the third stack of Masterpiece, since Overflow Sunflower = all Super Sunflower.

-With that sad, Magnum build requires top-tier critical rate. You will need at least 65% of critical chance, 3-critical hit Ruby, and the Raven Earth Earring in order to get critical with Super Sunflower as many as possible. Low-ping might have it easier due to faster fire rate of Sunflower, but you still need good critical rate.

-Also, you will need to greatly consider about stop using your Restraint skill. Grabbed target gives you a boost in critical, meaning that you can use it to reduce the cooldown of Thorn Strike better. If you choose to use Restraint skill instead, you have to give up your Thorn Strike rotation. Another matter is that you have to make sure that you don't reach 3-stack Masterpiece before the Restraint ends, cuz you cannot throw Nettle on a grabbed target.

-With this strict requirement, Magmum is completely useless in 6v6 and ToI. For PvE, if bosses move around too much and leave Nettle batches, you might lose chance to stack up Masterpiece if you cannot Thorn Strike him in time. The only scenario makes it shine is when dealing with trash mobs, twin bosses and bosses with adds, since you have very good chance getting Sunflower to critical hit on multi targets.

-Fun fact: Magnum badge in KR also gives 2000% AP damage for first Nettle hit.

tl:nr: To test the thing, please try to stack  your bleed up to 3 within 18s. If you have a hard time doing that, might as well go to Holy Fire badge due to much more simple way to use

You should aim for both.

First go for Magnum because it combos well with MSP8.

Then go for Holy Fire, which becomes great only in combination with Skybreak Spire loot (3pcs SS bonus and wind ring).

Wind will be way weaker untill you get those items. Later, wind will eventually go even and then become the better dps tree, if you have low ping.

If you have bad ping, just stick with earth and save your gold.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a hand on Magmum, and here is my input:

-It does not sync well with high ping (I have 200 ping). Slower fire rate of Sunflower makes you lose the Masterpiece stack very easily.

-In order to use it more effectively at high ping (200+), you need at least 60% critical rate. Better to have the Spire Earring too. However, even with that kind of critical rate, you don't have much room for error. If even one shoot of your Super Sunflower is non-critical, you lose the stack. I tried with 65% critical rate, and my upkeep of the buff is very bad at high ping

-If the boss moves or you have to do mechanic (stay still in stealth with Zakhan), then you will lose stack.

-You have to keep track on your Ivy Poison in order to spam Nettle too. At least 3s left of Ivy Poison before the Nettle buff kicks in. One mistake and you will get the buff but cannot spam it.

-Assuming you manage to pull out a perfect 3-stack of Masterpiece buff, your ping directly affects the number of Nettle you can throw. At 200 ping, I can only throw 1-2 per spam.

-Soulburn, Fighting Spirit and BD/Des Grab (don't use restraint skill, just spam LMB RMB for critical rate buff) can help stacking the buff fast.

-You need to build the stack up, so it is rare for you to be able to sync it with offensive buff.

-Even after all of these cons, it is still a DPS boost.

+++

tl:nr: Magnum is not ping friendly, and require strict Ivy Poison management and can only available against bosses that don't die within 10s.

Go Holy Fire if you have high ping, want initial burst with soulburn, and a simpler gameplay.

Magnum, however, can become more viable when we get the legendary Mystic Badge from Vortex Temple patch, which is a far future.

Archived