Julia, Zulia.. or Yulia?

Viblo

So, what's the new antagonists actual name?

If I remember correctly, I think the NA/EU version called her Zulia. However, everyone posting Youtube videos regarding her calls her Julia. And someone speaking about the censorship a while back called her Yulia. 

Can someone clear this up for me?

Yes, it's Julia (like Zuzu said).

NCwest has made countless questionable changes to character names, item names and story dialogue. Julia's name change is one of the strangest. Why change an already English name?? lol
Anyway, I call all characters by their original names. I don't like changing things just for the sake of changing things. And if people can't pronounce something, teach them how. Simple.

Other main characters that have had their names changed:

Jiwan - (original name is Biwol)
Lusung - (original name is Yusung)
Juwol - (original name is Yeowol)

9 minutes ago, Kurokazu said:

Jiwan - (original name is Biwol)
Lusung - (original name is Yusung)
Juwol - (original name is Yeowol)

If I'm not mistaken, Gubong was called Ga Gante and Jinsoyun was called Jin Varrel. I do think the Western "translation" were an improvement for those two, but I really don't get the whole Julia thing...

11 minutes ago, Viblo said:

If I'm not mistaken, Gubong was called Ga Gante and Jinsoyun was called Jin Varrel. I do think the Western "translation" were an improvement for those two, but I really don't get the whole Julia thing...

You are mistaken lol
Jin Soyeon is her original Korean name (stayed the same) and Gubong was only changed slightly from the original Korean.
Maybe it's another region that changed their names to what you mentioned?

Edit: I see, you got those names from the anime

8 minutes ago, Kurokazu said:

You are mistaken lol
Jin Soyeon is her original Korean name (stayed the same) and Gubong was only changed slightly from the original Korean.
Maybe it's another region that changed their names to what you mentioned?

Edit: I see, you got those names from the anime

8 minutes ago, RainbowDashie said:

Jin Soyeon is named Jin Varrel in the anime. 

Well, partly. I have seen the adaption for it, but I also checked the Japanese prologue for the game. 

In the japanese voice acting, Master Hong calls her Jin Varrel at 5:11 and at 5:17, she calls Yura and Gubong for Yura and Ga Gante. 

KR: 주리아  (Julia/Juria)

CN: 茱莉叶 (Zhu lì yè)

TW: 宙黎兒 (Zhòu lí er)

JP: ジュリア (Juria)

RU: Джулия (Julia) 

NA/EU: Zulia

EN1 translation: Juria

"Lusung" has two names, his birth name (Yoosung in KR) and an adoptive name (Musung in KR). Got changed to Yusung and Lusung. Gubong/Ga Gante is Geo Geo Bung in KR. Jinsoyun (진소윤) isn't Jin Soyeon (진소연), but Jin Seo Yeon (진서연) in KR. They are not the same names, and have very different meanings. Many characters also had their surnames removed completely (like with Juwol whose KR name is Dang Yeo-Wol), or they just got mashed up with the given names (Do Chun-Poong became Dochun).

NCSoft explained themselves with that it was too hard for western players to pronounce, so they changed it because of phonetics. But the result is a very weird translation, and much of the meaning/symbolism of the original is gone. "Mu" for example means nothing or nothingness, while "Yoo" means "something", symbolising that Musung became nothing after seeking revenge. Changing his name to Lusung just makes it weird to pronounce, and the symbolism is lost (especially weird for Scandinavian players since "lus" means lice). Jin means "one to take revenge" or "one to pay back". Seo means cotton, while Yeon means beauty, so the meaning behind her name matches the character pretty well. So / 소, however, can be partly translated as cow.

Imo, the weirdest name change overall is definitely Mushin, which is his actual title in KR (meaning "God of Martial Arts"). His birth name is Chun Jin Gwon. NCSoft basically turned his title into his actual name, and on top of it gave him another title to match "Mushin". So in NA/EU his name is more or less "god of martial arts, the god of martial arts". 

To NA/EU people the name is what it is in the game. Players can call the NPC how ever they like but usually it makes more sense to call it the way it is called in the version to avoid misunderstandings (if those were even possible). Call her Boobs McKenzie if you feel like it. :')

8 minutes ago, Shilen said:

Imo, the weirdest name change overall is definitely Mushin, which is his actual title in KR (meaning "God of Martial Arts"). His birth name is Chun Jin Gwon. NCSoft basically turned his title into his actual name, and on top of it gave him another title to match "Mushin". So in NA/EU his name is more or less "god of martial arts, the god of martial arts". 

That's one of the things that pissed me off the most. We argued with them over it on the Dojo lol
They also went further and kept referring to his ancestors as "the Mu family". Uhhhhhh WUT.
Makes no sense.
Having a title and an actual name isn't a difficult thing to comprehend.

A few of the localization changes we have like "Zulia" seem kinda like they got filtered through the CN version rather than straight from KR. 

But yeah, sorry purists, but I only played the English version, so anyone that insists on using the Korean names usually just ends up confusing me. 

Usually it's not the character names but when people call gear or dungeons by names from other localization. 

Maybe we can take the street fighter approach? 

By now it's pretty much gamer common knowledge that Balrog, Vega and M. Bison have their names mixed up between regions, so the fighting game community has taken to just calling them Boxer, Dictator and Claw as unambiguous nicknames. 

Too bad the outfit change has taken some of the punch out my ability to call Zuila/Julia/whatever "Psycho cleavage lady"

7 hours ago, Mortal Kombat said:

I just call her *censored.*

Cause you know...political correctness.

You beat me to it. I stopped caring about her after you NERFED HER GLORIOUS BOOBS. I refuse to watch any cutscenes with her anymore. Good thing I have screenshots of what she used to look like. Never forget...

1 hour ago, Xiaoyen said:

You beat me to it. I stopped caring about her after you NERFED HER GLORIOUS BOOBS. I refuse to watch any cutscenes with her anymore. Good thing I have screenshots of what she used to look like. Never forget...

screenshots? Mods man use mods :)

And Yura is Yuran is just a N but it sounds diferente.

In the above vídeo Viblo post sounds Yuran for me or is juste me??!!

3 hours ago, yiori said:

And Yura is Yuran is just a N but it sounds diferente.

In the above vídeo Viblo post sounds Yuran for me or is juste me??!!

Yes you're correct. Her Korean name is Yuran. This change I don't really mind much because it's so slight and I feel that it fits her better.
Doesn't matter either way for me though because I play with the KR voice pack. I get to hear everything in its full glory ;)

13 hours ago, Shilen said:

KR: 주리아  (Julia/Juria)

CN: 茱莉叶 (Zhu lì yè)

TW: 宙黎兒 (Zhòu lí er)

JP: ジュリア (Juria)

RU: Джулия (Julia) 

NA/EU: Zulia

EN1 translation: Juria

"Lusung" has two names, his birth name (Yoosung in KR) and an adoptive name (Musung in KR). Got changed to Yusung and Lusung. Gubong/Ga Gante is Geo Geo Bung in KR. Jinsoyun (진소윤) isn't Jin Soyeon (진소연), but Jin Seo Yeon (진서연) in KR. They are not the same names, and have very different meanings. Many characters also had their surnames removed completely (like with Juwol whose KR name is Dang Yeo-Wol), or they just got mashed up with the given names (Do Chun-Poong became Dochun).

NCSoft explained themselves with that it was too hard for western players to pronounce, so they changed it because of phonetics. But the result is a very weird translation, and much of the meaning/symbolism of the original is gone. "Mu" for example means nothing or nothingness, while "Yoo" means "something", symbolising that Musung became nothing after seeking revenge. Changing his name to Lusung just makes it weird to pronounce, and the symbolism is lost (especially weird for Scandinavian players since "lus" means lice). Jin means "one to take revenge" or "one to pay back". Seo means cotton, while Yeon means beauty, so the meaning behind her name matches the character pretty well. So / 소, however, can be partly translated as cow.

+1

Made me very sad when you knew the old + the new KR story and then play the NA/EU version. Felt like you've been waiting that your favorite Movie gets translated and the translation doesn't match at all with the original.

Try to imagine iconic lines from a Movie and the NCWest localization:
“No … I am your father.” – Darth Vader // would be like "Yes ... I will kill you!" - Ebon Fado and I guess Luke would be Lewis.....

I mean why even go to great lengths to change plot and character names? I remember they changed the whole back to the past arc with "you will see the past through my eyes" and when you came back the NPCs where like "hey weren't you the guy who saved us 16 years back? <- I lol'd at that point and felt like crying.

Sometimes a bit of research wouldn't be too hard... I guess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushin_(mental_state)

6 hours ago, Kurokazu said:

Yes you're correct. Her Korean name is Yuran. This change I don't really mind much because it's so slight and I feel that it fits her better.
Doesn't matter either way for me though because I play with the KR voice pack. I get to hear everything in its full glory ;)

Not just KR though, she is Yuran in every version besides NA/EU. Which makes the alteration not only stranger overall, but is also more prone to cause confusion, since players from all regions will be familiar with the character and name of Yuran no matter what translation they have used. Even people that have just been interested in the game prior to NA/EU but haven't actually played it would be more likely to recognize Yuran rather than Yura. It's the exact same thing here now with Julia/Zulia. Nonsencial changes to the names and terms that end up causing confusion in the community, especially to new players. In this case it's not something that I really personally mind either, but it has more negative effects than positive ones. And still, for some reason, they keep on doing it.

And the explanation for the change was just weird. How on earth does Yuran sound like urine? 

Archived