Server Freeze and DC

babeln

24 minutes ago, Regatz said:

The only experience that players have had this entire time has been connection continuity. When they're logged in, the performance is stable. "Official statement" or not, it's not DDoS. If this were DDoS, players would be slowed to a crawl in-game, rubberbanding, failed logins at screen, experience absurd ping rates etc. It would literally be unplayable, even if you were able to log-in.

Just because you have a DOS issue does not mean that it's an attack being initiated by malicious software/individuals. C'mon guys.

My ping went up to 3k-4k during wwv just now before I crashed and couldn't log in. Sounds like what you just said... 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Abysmal said:

My ping went up to 3k-4k during wwv just now before I crashed and couldn't log in. Sounds like what you just said... 

Yes, your ping will skyrocket before a crash. That's normal as the ping is simply the time it takes for a sent packet to be returned. If it's never returned, the number will rise.

I'll explain it this way, for those that actually care to increase their knowledge and have the mental maturity to push aside presumptions to cultivate progressive critical thinking.

Most game servers payloads are distributed across multiple servers.

For example:

Server A - Login Server

Server B - Database of Character information (items, levels, achievements, current equipment)

Server C - World (Monster pathing, event triggers, dungeons/instances)

Server D - NPC & Economy (NPC/monster event triggers and sales, marketplace control, etc.)

When experiencing a DDoS, these servers are specifically targeted almost always in conjunction with each other since these are usually run on VM's behind a single collective IP address (sometimes two).

Player A logs into the game and experiences an average 150 ping. Gameplay is normal, events are sent and received from the server in viable time to make gameplay fluid. Player A's ping spikes to 1,000+ and is disconnected. This player was not affected by a DDoS.

Player B opens the launcher and tries to log in, login fails. Tries to reopen launcher. Launcher fails to open. Tries again and successfully logs in to the account, but sits at the loading screen and nothing happens. Game fails to connect. Player B finally logs into the game with an average ping fluctuating between 400 and 700ms. That ping can then skyrocket to 1,000+ when the server has been hammered with so much information that its services crash. Player B is playing a game affected by a DDoS.

DDoS is like sending a flash mob onto a soccer field. Sometimes it's so full from being flooded that you can't even go in, let alone do anything once you're there.

Faulty equipment is when you're kicked off that field at random times. When you're there, you're ok - until you're not.

9 minutes ago, Regatz said:

I'll explain it this way, for those that actually care to increase their knowledge and have the mental maturity to push aside presumptions to cultivate progressive critical thinking.

For example:

Server A - Login Server

Server B - Database of Character information (items, levels, achievements, current equipment)

Server D - NPC & Economy (NPC/monster event triggers and sales, marketplace control, etc.)

When experiencing a DDoS, these servers are specifically targeted almost always in conjunction with each other since these are usually run on VM's behind a single collective IP address (sometimes two).

Player A logs into the game and experiences an average 150 ping. Gameplay is normal, events are sent and received from the server in viable time to make gameplay fluid. Player A's ping spikes to 1,000+ and is disconnected. This player was not affected by a DDoS.

Player B opens the launcher and tries to log in, login fails. Tries to reopen launcher. Launcher fails to open. Tries again and successfully logs in to the account, but sits at the loading screen and nothing happens. Game fails to connect. Player B finally logs into the game with an average ping fluctuating between 400 and 700ms. That ping can then skyrocket to 1,000+ when the server has been hammered with so much information that its services crash. Player B is playing a game affected by a DDoS.

DDoS is like sending a flash mob onto a soccer field. Sometimes it's so full from being flooded that you can't even go in, let alone do anything once you're there.

Faulty equipment is when you're kicked off that field at random times. When you're there, you're ok - until you're not.

Ok let me describe you my game play right now. I had to try several times to log in, launcher was not working, Kept getting errors, unable to reach server. Disconnected on loading screen, disconnected after entering pin. game not starting again. Finally get on, lag like there is no tomorrow, seeing people in faction screaming about massive lag, obviously I'm not the only one. Character doesn't move, oh I'm offline again.

23 minutes ago, Regatz said:

For example:

Server A - Login Server

8 minutes ago, xSonatax said:

Ok let me describe you my game play right now. I had to try several times to log in, launcher was not working, Kept getting errors, unable to reach server. Disconnected on loading screen, disconnected after entering pin. game not starting again. Finally get on, lag like there is no tomorrow, seeing people in faction screaming about massive lag, obviously I'm not the only one. Character doesn't move, oh I'm offline again.

before patch we were player A and now we are player B

same thing happened here...

launcher error > disconect

launcher start > game start > disconect

launcher start > game start > login > disconect

launcher start > game start > login > character > enter game > ping spike from 300/400 to 600/1200 > cant move > disconect

31 minutes ago, gaiachaos said:

Umm...most players have experienced the scenario from player B. My god, you need your head checked.

As stated, even for me personally I have never had a failed login. Not once. Zero latency on skill usage, zones, load screens or movement while in-game. I leveled an alt last night and today from 44 to 48, disconnected once, logged straight back in, soloing expert dungeons. I am not alone; at least 30 other NA players between Silkwood Gaming, my clan and friends do not experience any of these issues. I checked to confirm, because that's what you do when troubleshooting a problem. You make confirmations.

It doesn't matter if "most" experience it (I'm not even sure how you personally can verify 'most' as being accurate). DDoS is a server-wide attack, no one is exempt - every single person will experience it. If there are exceptions, they're either playing a completely different game or are being routed directly to the servers through a different path. Considering the faulty location Level 3 has already been shown/shared at least 5 times during the course of this thread to be the gateway directly in front of BnS servers, this is not the case.

Variables come into play for every scenario, but it doesn't default to DDoS - the entire point I've been making. Gets your facts checked first and then we can discuss.

I don't think you guys understand. MSP and all dungeons would be completely undoable for every person on the server during a DDoS assault. There would be no one online doing anything. This is not DDoS.

Am I the only one who is rather happy with this DDoS attack? Finally NCWest has a very good reason to examine and investigate all these annonying server issues. Finally it is not just me but the majority of the players that is going through all these. Yes NCwest please investigate and fix them please, thank you.

37 minutes ago, Regatz said:

As stated, even for me personally I have never had a failed login. Not once. Zero latency on skill usage, zones, load screens or movement while in-game. I leveled an alt last night and today from 44 to 48, disconnected once, logged straight back in, soloing expert dungeons. I am not alone; at least 30 other NA players between Silkwood Gaming, my clan and friends do not experience any of these issues. I checked to confirm, because that's what you do when troubleshooting a problem. You make confirmations.

It doesn't matter if "most" experience it (I'm not even sure how you personally can verify 'most' as being accurate). DDoS is a server-wide attack, no one is exempt - every single person will experience it. If there are exceptions, they're either playing a completely different game or are being routed directly to the servers through a different path. Considering the faulty location Level 3 has already been shown/shared at least 5 times during the course of this thread to be the gateway directly in front of BnS servers, this is not the case.

Variables come into play for every scenario, but it doesn't default to DDoS - the entire point I've been making. Gets your facts checked first and then we can discuss.

I don't think you guys understand. MSP and all dungeons would be completely undoable for every person on the server during a DDoS assault. There would be no one online doing anything. This is not DDoS.

Your arguement is invalid. I have an official post.

17 minutes ago, Meginb said:

Your arguement is invalid. I have an official post.

As I said, believe what you want. No offense to Liinxy; he/she's a community mod and will respond and post information here as they are told or informed - it's their job to put up with the immense about of bs that public forums produce, and I have nothing but respect for that. But sources can be wrong, and responses can be hastily fed in attempts to placate disgruntled masses like everyone here. This is nothing new; had been happening ever since UO.

If it's a fake answer you're looking for and you're happy with, then go for it. Doesn't make it any more true. This is how misinformation gets perpetuated.

Edit: To clarify, those hastily fed responses can also be given by network professionals to clients (Level 3 to BnS staff). If your equipment's broke or has been unstable for over 24 hours, the last thing you want to do is admit that you've dropped the ball. Easiest option to save face? Blame it on an unidentifiable malicious entity. Happens all. The. Time. Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though anyone else here has direct experience working and fighting with Level 3 over this exact same issue already occurring at multiple sites as I have. Can't tell you how many time I've had to chew out their techs. But it's whatever. At the end of the day you'll believe what you want - take it or leave it, I just offered insight into what's really going on.

15 minutes ago, Regatz said:

As I said, believe what you want. No offense to Liinxy; he/she's a community mod and will respond and post information here as they are told or informed - it's their job to put up with the immense about of bs that public forums produce, and I have nothing but respect for that. But sources can be wrong, and responses can be hastily fed in attempts to placate disgruntled masses like everyone here. This is nothing new; had been happening ever since UO.

If it's a fake answer you're looking for and you're happy with, then go for it. Doesn't make it any more true. This is how misinformation gets perpetuated.

Sooo, you're just going to stick with your denial about the ddos despite multiple NCsoft games having the exact same issues and responses for more than 24 hours which I would HOPE they'd make absolutely sure about before posting their response... If this is something besides a ddos, then NCsoft is even more incompetent and low quality than we all give them credit for.

30 minutes ago, Meginb said:

Sooo, you're just going to stick with your denial about the ddos despite multiple NCsoft games having the exact same issues and responses for more than 24 hours which I would HOPE they'd make absolutely sure about before posting their response... If this is something besides a ddos, then NCsoft is even more incompetent and low quality than we all give them credit for.

Yes. Whether all NCsoft games are having the problem or not, it's irrelevant. Server farms in Dallas are heavily used for NA gaming, so it's not like it's that surprising.

They can only be as certain about the information as they're told. All I've done is take the facts onhand, my own personal line tests, a decade and a half worth of experience with network infrastructure and security and 7 years direct experience with Level 3.

And NCsoft as a whole has frankly always been terrible at communication. This is my 4th NCsoft title and 63rd mmo title to endgame; the only thing that surprises me anymore is when a company has great communication (BHS/En Masse). Either way though, they're not to blame for the issues here.

lXraiEz.jpg

Edit: To clarify above image: That large of an area for outages strongly represents a backbone failure. DDoS attacks are targeted and the affected region would be much smaller.

14 minutes ago, Nightdash said:

If anything shut down servers if you have to , dont let players login and suffer from all these random disconnects and ping spikes.

Nobody forces players to log in, why they need to shut down anything?

2 minutes ago, KzE said:

Nobody forces players to log in, why they need to shut down anything?

cause some people have limited time to play, have lifes and families, and work, and try to catch up. I am happy that i managed to do daily challenge and mspp dailies today... with hmm about 5 dcs i think

Archived