Grimstar

Mysterious crystals are for whales?

Recommended Posts

Grimstar   

I've been playing since launch, so i've done every event so far. The only way to get mysterious crystals is via events, since kaari lord never dropped any in the 100+ runs i've done. 

I have around 25 crystals, so after the tower of memory event, i could upgrade a gem (if i gather 500g for radiant energy). I know this might be a stupid question, but people with 3-5 upgraded gems are whales right?

I could believe someone getting 30-60 mysterious crystals, so having 2 upgraded gems as a f2p player is believable. But i've seen friends/clanmates having every gem upgraded and telling me they are f2p, while they have only been playing for 4-5 months.

 

Shouldnt the drop rate of crystals be higher? I have 3 citrine/ruby's in my bank, which i cant upgrade cause of these crystals being extremely rare. Cause atm it is kinda a whale item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiro   

During first merchant of wonders you could farm mysterious crystals if you reset CS like mad (I didn't though)

 

I used like 1300 keys last trove and got maybe 500 mysterious crystals (and tons of gems)

 

Now you're gonna scream whale... but I spent like 13k gold on those instead not RL cash. Bought from people and friends with gift option. Ask them to gift you 50 or 100 keys, you trade them X amount of gold. Apparently this is way too hard for some people to figure out and understand. Yes it is a scam risk but you should do it with people who have good reputation or friends.

 

Is this what you consider whale too? Honestly I couldn't care less. For me "whale" is someone who spends a lot of RL cash, even if it's just costumes. Not that this is negative, mind you, just a way to describe them.

 

To answer your question, yes to get upgraded gems (full or not) you probably need a lot of cash shop items / boxes / trove keys / w/e. It's up to you if you're gonna spend RL cash on it, buy from others you trust with gold, or just keep complaining while others are getting them without spending anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unicorns   

Even without buying keys from people you can still get 20 keys a day with hm coins during trove events. Unlock all slots of the trove, of course, which can also be done with hm coins, and by the end of the event you should have enough mysterios crystals to get most, if not all, brilliant heptagonal gems.
During the corallite event mysterios crystals were fairly easy to get too, easier than with pearls atm at least.
So no, they are not "exclusive" for whales, but they are not for casual players, casual players are gona have a hell of a time to even get more than 1 or 2 gem to heptagonal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Draelth   

Kind of sad that people don't vaule their own time, but yeah, F2P can if they invest a huge amount of time at the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rokusan   

Making educated judgments on who or what you'd consider as a whale depends on which point of the game are we at.

 

Right now, we are almost a year in from launch and after many events that gave out mysterious crystals, it'd probably be safe to assume that mysterious crystals are no longer just for whales and that just because a player has 1-2 heptagonals, that doesn't mean that they're automatically whales. 

 

Also be careful on what and who you believe in. Being f2p and having all gems upgraded even at this point is impossible. 

 

Edited by Rokusan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cesura   
4 hours ago, Shiro said:

During first merchant of wonders you could farm mysterious crystals if you reset CS like mad (I didn't though)

 

I used like 1300 keys last trove and got maybe 500 mysterious crystals (and tons of gems)

 

Now you're gonna scream whale... but I spent like 13k gold on those instead not RL cash. Bought from people and friends with gift option. Ask them to gift you 50 or 100 keys, you trade them X amount of gold. Apparently this is way too hard for some people to figure out and understand. Yes it is a scam risk but you should do it with people who have good reputation or friends.

 

Is this what you consider whale too? Honestly I couldn't care less. For me "whale" is someone who spends a lot of RL cash, even if it's just costumes. Not that this is negative, mind you, just a way to describe them.

 

To answer your question, yes to get upgraded gems (full or not) you probably need a lot of cash shop items / boxes / trove keys / w/e. It's up to you if you're gonna spend RL cash on it, buy from others you trust with gold, or just keep complaining while others are getting them without spending anything.

 

 

You do realize you're a rather extreme outlier at the top of the bell curve, right?

 

I mean, good on you for having that kind of gold, (13k? Sounds like some serious market trading) but you do have to admit it would be kind of unreasonable to expect the average player to keep up with you. 

 

Kind of the point of this thread. is that upgraded gems are perhaps a bit unfairly out of reach of the majority of the playerbase. Even the paying customers. The kind of player that has a subscription and dunks $20-$30 a month on the game is still somewhat unlikely to have gotten them depending on RNG and playtime. 

 

 

Actually, since the best way to farm crystals without spending a single cent so far as been the merchant of wonders, which favors the (potentially f2p) players with a lot of time to sink into this game.  So it's not "strictly for whales, if we want to split those hairs; but I still think it's a valid point that mysterious crystals are an unreasonable bottleneck.


Because they supposedly drop on Kari Lord (Never ever seen one myself) it wouldn't be unreasonable to actually put them in that drop table or raise the drop rate if they are there because they make the legendary accessory drop rate look like the naryu coin drop rate, maybe put them in the CS vendor for around 80-100 frozen orbs a pop? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiro   
11 hours ago, Cesura said:

 

 

You do realize you're a rather extreme outlier at the top of the bell curve, right?

 

I mean, good on you for having that kind of gold, (13k? Sounds like some serious market trading) but you do have to admit it would be kind of unreasonable to expect the average player to keep up with you. 

 

Kind of the point of this thread. is that upgraded gems are perhaps a bit unfairly out of reach of the majority of the playerbase. Even the paying customers. The kind of player that has a subscription and dunks $20-$30 a month on the game is still somewhat unlikely to have gotten them depending on RNG and playtime. 

 

 

Actually, since the best way to farm crystals without spending a single cent so far as been the merchant of wonders, which favors the (potentially f2p) players with a lot of time to sink into this game.  So it's not "strictly for whales, if we want to split those hairs; but I still think it's a valid point that mysterious crystals are an unreasonable bottleneck.


Because they supposedly drop on Kari Lord (Never ever seen one myself) it wouldn't be unreasonable to actually put them in that drop table or raise the drop rate if they are there because they make the legendary accessory drop rate look like the naryu coin drop rate, maybe put them in the CS vendor for around 80-100 frozen orbs a pop? 

Well I play since headstart at start of this year so 13k is not really a lot at all, there are people far richer than me by grinding a lot or playing the market or crafting on many alts.

 

Also if you ask me, maybe it's just my luck but mysterious crystals are no bottleneck for me at all; the gems themselves are...

 

I would agree with making mysterious crystals more common, but also gems :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shukran   
4 hours ago, Shiro said:

Well I play since headstart at start of this year so 13k is not really a lot at all, there are people far richer than me by grinding a lot or playing the market or crafting on many alts.

 

Also if you ask me, maybe it's just my luck but mysterious crystals are no bottleneck for me at all; the gems themselves are...

 

I would agree with making mysterious crystals more common, but also gems :P

headstart with no other versions testing or experience?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiro   
1 hour ago, Shukran said:

headstart with no other versions testing or experience?

 

I did have some experience (mostly level 45 only though) and it certainly helped a bit especially about getting used to the class and mechanics.

 

But, you could use the beta for that too, and yes I played in beta also.

 

It's not a huge advantage since you can't carry the gold over or something xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zedonia   

Sure, you can have the gems as f2p player because you can infinite gold. But you have to keep in mind that you need a lot of playtime to have them as f2p player. Tbh, everyone who has 750+ ap used either real money or played way more than most of the people. Playing 2-3 hours a day and having upgraded gems doesn't work. I don't what Shiro was doing or if she used real money and denies it (no one can be sure about that) but it doesn't matter. You can have ~ 740 ap without spending any money and without upgrading any gems and that's more than enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zedonia said:

Sure, you can have the gems as f2p player because you can infinite gold. But you have to keep in mind that you need a lot of playtime to have them as f2p player. Tbh, everyone who has 750+ ap used either real money or played way more than most of the people. Playing 2-3 hours a day and having upgraded gems doesn't work. I don't what Shiro was doing or if she used real money and denies it (no one can be sure about that) but it doesn't matter. You can have ~ 740 ap without spending any money and without upgrading any gems and that's more than enough.

He relies on his guild members (big whales) to pay for what he wants, so it's more of a group P2W if you ask me. He's also a premium user, which qualifies as P2W.  And being a gold seller is a full-time gig. I don't know what he gains from doing this. It's just a waste of time.

 

Good to see the whales support the company though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arken   
22 hours ago, Shiro said:

 

(lol after that last minute replay, there's no point in saying anything XD)

EDIT: Well, I guess someone took care of that. Impressive.

 

As for the topic, the events did offer some ways to get those Mysterious Cyrstals. If i had all the other materials to craft the gems, I'd have 2 or 3 by now. The main problems is/was the amount of gold and other mats for them, making the whole operation a big and expensive waste.

Edited by lostforumaccount

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZDestiny   

I wouldn't say just for whales. Just about anyone could have gained a vast amount of Crystals over time. Like some already mentioned that we had multiple events with the option to gain them easy. For example Coral event was one of the previous events, other than that those rng boxes and troves. The latter might require a lot gold/time for f2p, but it was possible.

 

I personally didn't start on gems yet and I am slowly getting the Crystals as well the Radiant Energies that are required. (Because I am waiting for something and I dont really need the gems so badly) I could have easily spend gold for hmc or ask several friend if the wanna exchange gold vs boxes etc. I didn't bother because RNG isn't my game, I rather invest gold to get more gold.

 

As for having gold as f2p casual player I got 15k+ gold right now (max geared, no legend ring/neck) and ye I play only 2 hours top on workdays. Only at weekends I can make time for bit more hours. Last time I checked I barely passed 1k dungeon runs (all level 50 dgs accummulated), which means I hardly did them once a day. Since it was mentioned about having a clan to back it up, My clan consist of only 4 players and 3 of them started BnS at beta launch, so only I would fall under the category as experienced.

 

The best thing you can have is a group of players that learns quickly, takes feedback and tries to optimize for maximum gains. That's what we got as probably the smallest clan on EU that can clear everything that is thrown at us without too much effort.

 

Last but not least...

 

The secret of making gold is not to try find out which whale is bigger, what colour it has or who is a whale and who is not. If you do that then you won't make gold at all.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zedonia   
5 hours ago, ZDestiny said:

As for having gold as f2p casual player I got 15k+ gold right now (max geared, no legend ring/neck) and ye I play only 2 hours top on workdays.

Dude, stop it, that's so not true. You wanna tell us you play max. 2h a day and you have maxed gear and you also have 15k gold left? You must be joking. This is nothing a casual can have without getting the 10k gold items ingame. With that, ok, it's possible, but that has nothing to do with casual. Using the market is also not a sign for casual. Casuals are the normal players who don't do such things, they just play the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leyren   
On 22.10.2016 at 7:14 PM, Grimstar said:

I've been playing since launch, so i've done every event so far. The only way to get mysterious crystals is via events, since kaari lord never dropped any in the 100+ runs i've done. 

I have around 25 crystals, so after the tower of memory event, i could upgrade a gem (if i gather 500g for radiant energy). I know this might be a stupid question, but people with 3-5 upgraded gems are whales right?

I could believe someone getting 30-60 mysterious crystals, so having 2 upgraded gems as a f2p player is believable. But i've seen friends/clanmates having every gem upgraded and telling me they are f2p, while they have only been playing for 4-5 months.

 

Shouldnt the drop rate of crystals be higher? I have 3 citrine/ruby's in my bank, which i cant upgrade cause of these crystals being extremely rare. Cause atm it is kinda a whale item.

I think you get the most gems from treasure trove. In the last trove event, I had 3 times the 30 for 30g, and multiple times the smaller stacks. I only used hongmoon coins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zedonia   
19 hours ago, ZDestiny said:

 

Dont even try it, you would not win this.

 

I dont mean they dont use the market but to buy many things and sell them for a much higher price later. We can discuss about casual or not but that's a mechanic you can use but not everyone can (because then it wouldnt work before you say "of course everyone can") so saying you got that gold doesnt mean everyone can. It just doesnt work like this.

 

I dont think any further discussion would help anyone so thats all from me here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have between 10-15 mysterious crystals (i forget exactly how many). One of them I got from the coralite event, the others all came from a stack of Rng boxes I bought. Events where you have to pay seem to be the source of these things. Hongmoon gems only come from events, and these crystals are meant to be used to upgrade the gems. It seems they have tied having upgraded gems to events where the more you spend the better chance you will have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiro   

ZDestiny +1 to what you said, finally someone who gets it. 15k gold is nothing if you play for 8 months. If you make 100g /  day you get 24k gold in 8 months. And 100g is nothing. If you play so little you can't even make 100g per day then you're very casual and I don't understand why are you focusing over end game gems, especially without even spending money on the game either?

 

Problem here is money doesn't come fast from farming, you need to keep doing it and it adds up, but most people just try for 1 month, get bored at lack of gold and give up and then complain nobody can farm 15k gold just because they can't. I agree quick gold only comes if you open your wallet, but getting lots of Mysterious Crystals is very possible as f2p too, if you have perseverance and don't give up that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cesura   
22 minutes ago, Shiro said:

 If you make 100g /  day you get 24k gold in 8 months. And 100g is nothing. If you play so little you can't even make 100g per day then you're very casual and I don't understand why are you focusing over end game gems, especially without even spending money on the game either?

Dude, what? 
I get like... 20-30 G a day. 

Which is typically doing somewhere between 4-10 dungeon dailies (Takes 10-30 minutes for purple dungeons on most PUG groups) and some PvP matches, playing for maybe 2-4 hours. 

Which I suppose might be "super casual" by your standards but "100g is nothing" still sounds ridiculous to me unless you're just farming SSP for moonstones hours on end or getting damn lucky with 4-man dungeon drops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiro   

I actually don't farm ssp at all, only do dailies there. Same with Naksun, in fact my achievement shows 120ish runs so there's that.

 

Purple dungeon dailies alone is around 40-50g, just from quest gold. With premium ofc and also I don't go with PUGs, that would be a nightmare way to farm gold.

 

Actually I see the problem now. People who play in f8 90% of the time and they think others can't make gold, by running with friends you trust or guild, instead of wiping for hours on end or having half dps than you should. Both of those cost time, you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grimstar   
2 hours ago, Shiro said:

If you make 100g /  day you get 24k gold in 8 months. And 100g is nothing. If you play so little you can't even make 100g per day then you're very casual and I don't understand why are you focusing over end game gems, especially without even spending money on the game either?

So making 100g/day is casual for u? Doing all purple dungeon is 40-50g, even if u do it with guildies/friends, and dont get a good drop, u still only end up with around 20 stingers each + ornaments. I would say 50g/day is casual, 100g/day is either with playing the market or getting a lucky drop.

 

On 24-10-2016 at 3:29 PM, ZDestiny said:

As for having gold as f2p casual player I got 15k+ gold right now (max geared, no legend ring/neck) and ye I play only 2 hours top on workdays. Only at weekends I can make time for bit more hours.

I find this really hard to believe, since i'm a casual player since launch (same as u,2h during the week, more in the weekends). And i have max gear (no ring/necklace), but i dont have freaking 15k lol. But i also never play the market, or get alot of rare drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now