Is it possible to tank and hold aggro as sin?

Natello

Hi guys,

I've recently rolled an assassin and leveled her to 45. I must say.. this class is awesome!

I wanted to know if it's possible for an assassin to tank and hold aggro. Almost every defensive skill puts my sin in stealth so the aggro will switch to someone else during that time. I feel kind of vunerable if I leave stealth because of how squishy the class is. 

So does anyone have any experience with tanking as a sin?

My assassin at level 36. I can tank by using stealth to dodge single target attack and coming out immediately so the aggro is always on me. Aoe attack can be walked away, then walking back in. But for those boss with too many single target skill I still trying to figure out how to tank without going invisible. Usually you will have to walk to the back to avoid those but need very good constant ping so it is risky.

As long as you have the highest dps with no tanker in the group, any class can tank

Not all, but a lot of big bosses have true sight, which allows them to see you in stealth, and some will have constant aoe that will knock you out of stealth so the only time I really in stealth while tanking is to stack poison or cc

Once you get to a certain level with certain hm skills, dark build is awesome and lightning build is the squishy one

Majority of the bosses are incredibly slow and telegraphed to the point where you can literally just walk to the side or through the boss and not get hit, then walk back, along with using Q/E or SS -> F/RMB against area of effect targets. Any class can do this, though.

A Lightning Build Sin is indeed vulnerable when out of stealth, simply because they're too overreliant on it. That's why you have the option of going Dark Build since level 42.

6 hours ago, Shadovvv said:

Majority of the bosses are incredibly slow and telegraphed to the point where you can literally just walk to the side or through the boss and not get hit, then walk back, along with using Q/E or SS -> F/RMB against area of effect targets. Any class can do this, though.

A Lightning Build Sin is indeed vulnerable when out of stealth, simply because they're too overreliant on it. That's why you have the option of going Dark Build since level 42.

I'm still trying to get used to using dark build. I find it a bit harder to use since I don't get protection from my stealth. Stacking poison is a pain too, because some bosses move around a lot. 

What do you do when you are the only melee class in the team, and the fm/summ has the aggro and keeps running around? It's kind of hard for me to get aggro back when I have to keep chasing the boss. I could say to them: don't run around so much and run circles instead of backwards, but you know how pugs are.

2 hours ago, Natello said:

What do you do when you are the only melee class in the team, and the fm/summ has the aggro and keeps running around? It's kind of hard for me to get aggro back when I have to keep chasing the boss. I could say to them: don't run around so much and run circles instead of backwards, but you know how pugs are.

I would use bombard with shuriken (recover 2 focus), when there are too many range classes, because both are range attacks. Not sure if it works for high levels but my low level sin do more damage with bombard than heartstab.

11 hours ago, Natello said:

I'm still trying to get used to using dark build. I find it a bit harder to use since I don't get protection from my stealth. Stacking poison is a pain too, because some bosses move around a lot.

Sit in a corner, make some hot tea, watch the chaos go down. No seriously, FM/Sums that kite bosses are just bad people who deserve to get killed by the boss.

3 hours ago, PooHie said:

If you wanna tank, preferably go Lightning build, so you can move fast around the boss and have high evasion to dodge certain projectiles. But ideally you don't wanna tank, that's what BM and KFM are for. 

Except a lot of endgame bosses forcibly deny stealth, and relying on RNG evasion procs is unreliable.

Yes it is very possible to tank with assassin. It is easiest to tank as a sin with dark build because you have access to decoy. You will be using Q/E, SS, C and decoy a lot for that. That's really all there is to it. Poison stacking shouldn't be a problem with your acrid stars from resists. Also need to remember that venom pierce poison will proc when you crit in your RMB F's in stealth. There is no particular rotation as long as you get your poisons in.

If ranged classes have better gear than you and are taking aggro, then lightning build is recommended for sure as you get movement speed bonuses in stealth to keep up.

On 10/23/2016 at 9:49 PM, Shadovvv said:

Sit in a corner, make some hot tea, watch the chaos go down. No seriously, FM/Sums that kite bosses are just bad people who deserve to get killed by the boss.

Except a lot of endgame bosses forcibly deny stealth, and relying on RNG evasion procs is unreliable.

Works fine for me all the time. If you get out of stealth you can easily go back into it. So, if you really have to then that's the only way

Archived