Am I in the right or wrong in what I said?

ladymanako

Ok, so, this person comes up to me in the game today and ask for help in getting a weapon they needed and I was like 'Yeah I will help you.' I had nothing better to do (a lvl 47 doing dailies) and I was in the area. They sent me an invite and when I joined I found out that this person was lvl 8 and wanted a weapon from a lvl 30 something boss...right. The I looked at their character info and they were still using their Hongmoon weapon, surely that should of been upgraded by now, right?
When I asked why they were only getting the weapons, they said they want to be the strongest, now! I told them there is more to it then only getting weapons to make you strong, as we all know that we have to upgrade our weapons then there are the accessories, the soul shields and gems but they didn't want to know, were very rude and no please/pls or thank you/ty.

Asked where they were from, they are from the other side of the world, now fine there is a bit of a language barrier and I have no problems what so ever with ppl from other places in the world but still I have met many ppl from around the world on this game but they have always said pls and ty. 
In the end I had enough of the rude commands, like I was a dog, and asked if they knew how to play this game and they said yes (if had they said 'no' I would of helped them), truthfully I don't think they knew 100% of what they were doing but, I am not one to judge. So I gave a bit of advise ' Look, go and do your quests and daily quests and lvl up like everyone else works for. No one is going to help or carry a weak link (which I have been called when I was their lvl when I was trying to be too big for my boots) lvl 8 to get a lvl 50 weapon in the end.' 

should I of called them a weak link? yes and no, like I said I was called that when I first started this game and when I didn't understand what I was doing and trying to jump ahead and being called that helped me to rethink what I was doing. But was I right in what I said? That no one would carry a lvl 8 to get a lvl 50 weapon? 
I tried to be helpful and would of helped in anyway I could so they could understand what they are doing, but it was just rudeness I got in return.

I would just like to hear what other ppl would do in this sort of problem.

I think you were nice to help him/her. You offered additional help with guiding words. You weren't malicious about letting them know they were way ahead in thier weapons collection and that asking for help for getting future, stronger ones, was well... over stepping themsemves and they might not receive a warm reaction from others. The language barrier was a challenge I am sure, which maybe why they came across as demand bc of this they especially needed to say thank you or the universal ty. 

I would only fault you if you called them a noob or such and used caps but it doesn't sound like the case to me. 

I am glad there are kind ppl out there to help a lowbie =)

13 minutes ago, DirectorTseng said:

my question would have been more how the hell did a level 8 get to an area that was dropping level 30+ weapons. That would mean the cinderlands if not almost moonwater and those area's are locked until you complete part of the quest line.

It's not locked. You can run from Bamboo Village to Mushin's Tomb at whatever level you get out of the Tutorial Quest (I used to do that at level 11 to get level 2 gathering samples).

The first lock is at lvl 36 where you need to do the main quest to get to Moonwater.

From that point you can actually run to Zaiwei.
There comes the second lock where you can only get to some of the Silverfrost areas during act 4.

Mushin Tower and Windrest are also locked until you complete act 3 and act 5 respectively.

23 minutes ago, DirectorTseng said:

my question would have been more how the hell did a level 8 get to an area that was dropping level 30+ weapons. That would mean the cinderlands if not almost moonwater and those area's are locked until you complete part of the quest line.

He can get to cinderlands by taking a route path in gloomdross forest.  As for moon water plains goes... I don't think there is a route where you could walk from cinderlands and into moonwater plains.... Then again I could be wrong. Moon water plains also have a hidden route where you can get to silverfrost's skypetal plains. It's just the matter of exploring the world around you.

Pretty sure it could be a language barrier thing.  I have had a few guildies that are overseas and sometimes the things they type out just seem so 'demanding' like.  'Help me pls', 'wait, kill these first', and they barely say 'thank you', or say anything nice back.  But there are times when I say that I'm too busy to help right now, and they all understand that.

Glad you took out the time to help :)  Sometimes it's a hit or miss and you can make a good friend or find some ugly people, but I find out helping people in this game is a daily that I can always afford time to do.

It sounds like you were not out of order in any way with what you said. I have no idea which weapon this player was looking for, but at level 8 without any of the proceeding weapon upgrades it makes me a bit curious as to why he would have wanted it. If it was one of the tradeable weapons, like the corrupted one from DarkGlimpse then I would have been suspicious that he might have just been looking to sell it on the marketplace.

Thanks everyone, it has been on my mind for a while now but feeling much better now that I have talked about it! 
I thought, at first, that there is a barrier that would of stopped low lvl players from skipping areas, like you can go all over Viridian Coast but you can't hit the Cinderlands until you are at the correct lvl. Guess I was wrong, learnt something new haha!

@LilMsQT I would never use the word noob on anyone. I hate it just as much as bae *shudder*. I like the name Weak Link more, as I said, it was said to me as I was too busy trying to jump into the meat of the game I guess and got too big for my boots. What with being the low lvl of the group at that time haha but they helped me see where I went wrong and put me back on the right path. 

Again, thanks everyone it is nice to hear what other ppl have to say about things like this. Let's just hope that that person took my advise and will think about what they are doing. I hope the next person I meet will be a little more understand.
XxxX

Here's what I think

you are of course not wrong in what you did

however You really don't need to pursue the situation or significant individual in the future.

These players belong to the group of "casual players"

They are lazy and very inconsistence.

they came from games like WoW, Aion, etc

old gen games where they ditch their gear every time past 20 levels.

lets just skip to the end of the preach

these kind of player will not stay in the game

casual players are consider the most ungrateful people out there. Even if you give them 20 golds or 100 golds to upgrade, once they spend all that money and hit the grind bar, they will quit.

Just avoid them completely.

Ladymanako you sound like a total sweetheart. I appreciate your humility and willingness to take the time out to help out a fellow player.  It's people like you that make this community a better place.  Please keep up the positive attitude . 

Always nice to see someone helpful in games like these. You were not wrong in saying such things. If they were as abrasive as you said he was, you need not worry about someone like him any longer.

I try to keep the distinction between a 'newb' and a 'noob' clearly defined. Someone like that, that has a less than grateful attitude and daring to command you to do stuff? They are firmly in the 'noob' category, no questions asked.

Archived