Forums

The worst outfits in the rotation again

Cor

Pure evil looks great and I've hung on to it.

Ancient Talus is nice, too.  Cerulean Officer is sweet.  Which ones are you having the most trouble with liking on your Char?

9 minutes ago, Lanthun said:

This outfit rotation just wasn't my rotation. I bought pet pouches instead (guiltily).

There's always the next rotation.

Oh, is this a pet thing?  I don't play a summoner so I have no idea how to assist.

8 hours ago, Susumimi said:

It takes at most half the effort to please western audience than it is to please Asian audience because there's simply way more quality MMO's in Asia than in the west.

Your logic is faulty. The game industry in Asia is indeed embracing the MMO at this time more so than western developers are. So yes there are more MMOs released in Asia than in the West. This has nothing to do at all with how easy it is to please either audience. It also has nothing to do with the quality MMOs released in the west. It may be that Asian players are simply more into MMOs at this time than their western counterparts. The MMO was invented (as were video games) here in the west so perhaps it is just that we as a culture have already had our crazy love affair with the MMO and have moved on. In fact by 2009 the use of 'MMO' as a search term on google (in the west) had declined by about 60% compared to a few years earlier and the term 'MOBA' was rapidly on the increase. Still just because Asia has a lot of good MMOs one is unable to use that as a basis for saying western audiences are satisfied with games that are half as good in quality. Absurd.

Having said that and with all due respect, I am curious how you have come to the conclusion that the western audience is so easy to please to begin with. It is a fact that publishers bringing over Asian MMOs really do a poor job of it but that has everything to do with those publishers not wanting to invest the required time, effort and money into these games. They just slap together a sub-standard port in order to make a fast buck. As a result  western players are not willing themselves to become invested in these games because they know it will not be worth it. In fact the evidence seems to be that western players are much more demanding when it comes product quality and customer support. It is the Asian gamer (and I can say this because I also am Asian) who is willing to put up with pay 2 win, unreasonable grind and mind numbing RNG. Westerners have little tolerance for such things as is evidenced by the posts on this very forum. So I think you have it wrong. The sort of problems you mention are the fault of the publishers who are not willing to do what is necessary in order for a game to be wildly successful in the west, not because Western players are willing to put up with them. The trail of proof for this is long and littered with the bones of more Asian MMO games than you can shake a stick at.

I think all of this is very unfortunate because I really love Asian MMOs. As you say some of them are of very high quality and that just makes it all the more of a bummer when these games arrive here in the west, censored and incomplete with bad translation, dumb'ed down mechanics and poor or non-existent customer support. As far as Blade and Soul goes if they really wanted it to be wildly successful in the EU/NA market then they could have taken the time to port the game over to the Unreal 4 Engine. I do not think it would not have been that big of a deal. It's my opinion, as a developer who has worked with Unreal 4 Engine, that had they done this the game's foundation would have been stable for years to come. I don't understand why it was felt that we needed a censored, gimped version of the game's content running on an outdated engine. Players who are able to appreciate this game are not children nor are they sheltered, uptight or culturally narrow-minded such that they could not handle it's original form. We in the west deserve all the lovely costumes and accessories that are showered on the east. Unedited and Uncut. Instead publishers just rotate re-skins of the few same, lame, tame costumes we were bored with ages ago in out of the cash shop and they expect us to buy this and say 'oh wow look at my new shiny'. Again, this sort of thing is done not because the western audience is content with it but rather because publishers aren't willing to invest in us. In the case of Blade and Soul the primary target is KR, the western version apparently exists to make a fast buck and as long as publishers take this route the buck will be fast indeed about as fast as it takes the next Asian MMO to appear on the scene.

11 minutes ago, Yuina said:

I woudn't even wear visionary if I got it for free LOL. So ugly. Why even put it for sale...

Even if there are people who hate the outfit there might be some who actually bought it. I wouldn't buy that thing either because it does look ugly. Just because we don't like it doesn't mean no one likes it.

3 hours ago, studioMagicalFox said:

--snip-

You know, generally speaking, if someone puts something up for sale and no one  buys it then the seller does some thing:

1 Stop selling it.
2 Drop the price.

3 Raise the quality.

Of course this rests on the assumption that little to no one is buying that product...oh wait, nvm.

If western audiences aren't easily pleased, or whatever term someone chooses that expresses ease of satisfaction, then the large amounts of invested time and money by players certainly points to the opposite being true. If it doesn't then you can also share with us here what the large amounts of time and money being spent signifies.

I honestly cant come to another conclusion as to why someone would spend money on something they aren't pleased with but perhaps that doesn't mean you cant come to one. Lets hear it.

6 hours ago, Yuina said:

I woudn't even wear visionary if I got it for free LOL. So ugly. Why even put it for sale...

I agree, (and its in my top 5 ugliest outfits of BnS. along with Regal Diplomat) but there are some ppl out there that are collectors and will get it just for the sake of having all their f3 filled.

9 hours ago, Yuina said:

I think they want to put out the worst ones first, and the best ones last to make the most on the sales. because maybe you will buy the ugly one when there is nothing else to buy xD

20 hours ago, Aerows said:

Pure evil looks great and I've hung on to it.

Ancient Talus is nice, too.  Cerulean Officer is sweet.  Which ones are you having the most trouble with liking on your Char?

Oh, is this a pet thing?  I don't play a summoner so I have no idea how to assist.

Funny those are my least favourite costumes in the game. Pure evil/junghado costume (3rd most ugly costume in game), any cerulean costume ESPECIALLY officer (2nd ugliest costume in entire game), and black sun. I'd rather wear hongmoon newbie uniform than those.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:50 PM, Susumimi said:

They release shitty costumes to make the KR/TW/CN versions look better. Pretty obvious, as nearly every single Asian MMO does this. They release a dumbed-down western port of the game with broken translations, 1/10th the manpower, shitty servers, shitty events, and of course way shittier costumes. Why? Because western audience is easy to please. It takes at most half the effort to please western audience than it is to please Asian audience because there's simply way more quality MMO's in Asia than in the west. I'm Asian myself but living in NA, so I know. The exact same thing happened with Tera so I'm not at all surprised. Original KR/CN versions get super cool events and cultural costumes, what do we get? Stupid hand-me-down second hand crap that have already been obsolete in the KR/CN versions.

LOL, ummmm you do know that the 3 biggest MMOs are WESTERN MMOs right buddy?

7 hours ago, United17 said:

LOL, ummmm you do know that the 3 biggest MMOs are WESTERN MMOs right buddy?

Right, your point is?

First of all, "biggest" is subjective. What are your 3? WoW + Overwatch + 3rd one? I wouldn't even consider Overwatch a MMO, more like an online shooting game. WoW I agree is one of the most popular in the world, but Overwatch? Um no, it's popular only in the west. Asia has a way larger MMO audience and lots of Chinese/Japanese/Korean games unknown to you, are more popular there. Say for example Overwatch has 10 mil players in the west (this is just an example I didn't actually google the player base), some C/J/K MMO might have 100 mil players due to sheer population difference.

Second, even if there are 3 "most popular MMO's in the world" right now and they're all from the west, congrats, the west finally caught on and made 3 quality MMO's in the year 2016. I'm sure by your logic MMO's were only invented this year?

This is just common sense. MMO's don't have as large audience in the west as the east, the west is simply better at AAA single player or small scale multiplayer titles and that's a fact. Part of the reason why MMO's are popular in the east is because most countries in the east don't have the technology or finance to create these AAA single player titles, so they resort to using MMO's as cash grabs. There's literally 100x more MMO titles in the east than the west.

59 minutes ago, Susumimi said:

Part of the reason why MMO's are popular in the east is because most countries in the east don't have the technology or finance to create these AAA single player titles, so they resort to using MMO's as cash grabs. There's literally 100x more MMO titles in the east than the west.

Overwatch, like Planetside 2, is a mmo. A shooter mmo.

As for the last part, South Korea and Japan alone are in the top 10 most technologically advanced countries in the world. To say asian countries, at least these two, dont have the technology or finance to produce triple A titles is far fetched. Thats not it.

Its simply a culture and major population total difference across regions, asian culture would quicker cling to the mmo format gaming type because thats just how it is, its what they're culture fits with most.

On 9/24/2016 at 10:59 AM, K4t said:

I honestly cant come to another conclusion as to why someone would spend money on something they aren't pleased with but perhaps that doesn't mean you cant come to one. Lets hear it.

My point being that western audiences are not that so much easier to please as Asian audiences. And you are saying well if that is the case why do they still play the Asian MMOs that are ported to the west? My answer to that would be that if you are a western player who likes Asian themed MMO games then you are going to play them. Because you are playing them does not imply that you are necessarily happy with the sub-standard port. You can either play it as it is or not play it at all. Playing it despite it not being up to standard does not imply that you are happy or pleased about having to play a lesser version. If you want to experience it at all you will play the version given to you. That does not mean you are pleased that this version is not all that it could have been.

Honestly I think most of you have only yourselves to blame for the anticipation let down you suffer from every two weeks.

All started when someone decided to post their theory that whenever a costume is introduced into the Costume Storage Warehouse that its certain to appear in the Hongmoon Store rotation immediately following. As we've seen for about 3 to 4 rotations now, that isnt necessarily the case. (Some costumes that have been in that storage window for months have yet to even show up in game, let alone the store.)

How many of you cried when you saw the Red Business Casual costume put up on the costume storage and failed to appear in store? (btw NC claims error on that particular case, but I just think theyre saving it for another RNG scam box event, but I digress...)

Its a random rotation. Stop trying to get ahead of the curve, relax, and be patient.

You'd think this was Outfit Simulator 3.0 or something...heh.

(FYI: Ive purchased over 25 HM store costumes via RLC to date. I collect them, but I dont sweat mediocre costume rotations. Just means more money saved.)

Often I save up money for something like equipment upgrades or whatever, and then 2 weeks costume rotation comes around, and I drop all my gold on HM coin for costume. People often ask why my equipment is so bad for an HM 11, well this is why, because my gear upgrade hinges upon those rare times when the costumes are bad. I was lucky to run into 2 bad costume rotations in a row with this one, and was able to finally save up 1k+ gold.

42 minutes ago, Avalyn said:

Often I save up money for something like equipment upgrades or whatever, and then 2 weeks costume rotation comes around, and I drop all my gold on HM coin for costume. People often ask why my equipment is so bad for an HM 11, well this is why, because my gear upgrade hinges upon those rare times when the costumes are bad. I was lucky to run into 2 bad costume rotations in a row with this one, and was able to finally save up 1k+ gold.

this man speaks the truth.

Archived