One of the worst mmorpgs I've ever played.

NotTonyStark

Blade and Soul is one of the worst MMORPGs I've ever played and here's why. 

Every day I log in I have to insert a verification code to authorize my IP address, which is totally unnecessary. This shouldn't exist. Then I have to insert a secondary password (my bank account isn't that thoroughly secured).
 Traveling in this game is either boring or frustrating. There are no mounts, which should be unacceptable even for a game made in 2012. The sprint never lasts long enough for you to get the next town so you have to walk most of the distance. 
Teleporters have a 2 minute cooldown (what were the developers thinking?) and it costs a quite bit to teleport, so you can't use it too often. 
 For some reason the developers thought it would be a good idea to make almost all mobs aggro. Maybe they wanted to make the game more challenging or maybe they  just wanted to annoy us because you cannot walk from one town to another or gather plants without pulling every mob in sight. They are persistent too, they will jump to your location and attack, preventing or interrupting sprinting so you can't even run. 
 To make things worse, when you are in combat, you move incredibly slow, so you have no chance of escaping. When you die (and you will) you can try to resurrect in the same place by gathering chi, but since the mobs are aggro they will attack you again, killing you again so you will be forced to respawn at the closest checkpoint (which most of the time is pretty far away). There is the option to be revived by a player but let's face it, no one will be there to help you.

Then you realize in order to get to your destination you have to kill every mob you encounter (yey! so much fun).
 Another thing I don't like about Blade & Soul was that all healing potions have a 60 second cooldown, so you can't even heal properly. Although there are potions that regenerate your health to 100% they are useless when you're trying to run away from a horde of mobs you couldn't avoid either because the road was too narrow  or because there were mobs everywhere. 
 The map design is pretty bad, everything is surrounded by mountains. 
Look at Spriestone Canyons or Tomun Range. Why is the game instance based?
 Having to repair your weapon is an absurd feature to have in a game. How is it fun? 
It does make the game more realistic but is that really what you want? If you want a realistic game why not make food necessary for your character to survive? 
Or make the combat more realistic so that mobs are incapacitated from a single strike? Could it be because making the game too realistic takes the fun out of it? 
 The combat system in ths game is interesting. Stunning visuals and chain combos make it more fun than the boring tab targeting combat system in other games, but it would be better if the basic attacks and abilities were aoe instead of single target.
 Not having mounts in this game just to make the maps seem bigger makes me think the devs don't care if players enjoy the game as a whole, instead they care only about pvp and making this game an esport. 
 They also seem to think pets are a privilege reserved only to high level players (lvl 50).

Do you agree with me? What do you like/don't like about Blade & Soul?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FEW QUESTIONS

- how long have u played BnS^

- what level/character/ap have/is your main?

- for what do u need fast-and-often traveling?

if u answer correctly to these 3 i understand why u are pointing these silly questions and statements. rest of post is a clueless and silly rant

4 minutes ago, KlausFlouride said:

LoL, buh-bye!

Begone troll this man has his displeasure, albeit some were nit picking but that is his right to say it

4 minutes ago, Shukran said:

FEW QUESTIONS

if u answer correctly to these 3 i understand why u are pointing these silly questions and statements. rest of post is a clueless and silly rant

Personal insults on the poster will get you no where and you wonder why new people leave the game

OP I dislike the gathering of mats, The RNG and basically thats it

6 minutes ago, CrimsonKitsune said:

Begone troll this man has his displeasure, albeit some were nit picking but that is his right to say it

Personal insults on the poster will get you no where and you wonder why new people leave the game

OP I dislike the gathering of mats, The RNG and basically thats it

It wasn't meant to be a troll attempt but the OP clearly isn't sticking around to even give the game an honest chance. Does it have issues? Sure, just like any MMO or game for that matter. There are some infuriating bugs in this game, such as locked in combat bug, but there is more than enough good things about that keep me logging in.

1 minute ago, KlausFlouride said:

It wasn't meant to be a troll attempt but the OP clearly isn't sticking around to even give the game an honest chance. Does it have issues? Sure, just like any MMO or game for that matter. There are some infuriating bugs in this game, such as locked in combat bug, but there is more than enough good things about that keep me logging in.

I agree some of his complaints is nitpicking but still to just say buh bye is just rude

19 minutes ago, Shukran said:

FEW QUESTIONS

4 days

lvl32

so i can turn in quests faster

44 minutes ago, NotTonyStark said:

I won't try to make you stay but I will give few reasons what I think about what you just said.

Running problem:

At level 45 or so you will gain a quest that requires you to purchase or craft overly expensive item to gain 5000 stamina. This might not ever be worth it unless your character is rich or lucky to get everything for crafting. There is though a pretty easy trick to make running easier which i started using alot so here is a video clip of it.

PS. Personally I am torn between should we have mounts or not but as summoner I would find it rather stupid looking to have mount and cat running behind or sitting on the mount. Wouldn't look too good.

Teleporting cooldown:

Not sure why they made them so darn long and it makes rarely sense but as premium you won't have those cooldowns so you can windstride instantly after windstriding once. Most people won't buy premium nor feel the worth of it but it's a nice add to it. Otherwise you just need to cope with what we have or drop out of the game if this is too much of an issue for you.

Mobs aggroing:

It's easy to avoid them by running and jumping above them. That way they rarely aggro and if they do just simply kill them. If you ignored completely your weapon upgrades I can understand your frustration but until lvl 45+ nothing will be able to one hit you and most of the mobs will die super fast.

Potions:

The game was not based around them. Every single class has HP recovery skills that on some classes can heal you from 1 % to 100 % in a blink of an eye. Learn to block and avoid the hits by learning how each of the mob type attack. There is also one dungeon where the boss prevents you from using those so it's good to learn from early on not to rely on potions too much.

Weapon repair:

So far all the MMOs I played had this function and I think it's a way of a game to tell you "you did alot already, take a small break".

Pets:

Only way of getting pet is from high level dungeons that you should do only after hitting lvl 50 so it kind of makes sense. No one will get that much gold without neglecting gearing (which will make people in dungeons flame or hate you) if you are going f2p style so only remaining option is to be "p2w" player. Pets are quite op for low level people who can basically 100-0 others with ease so I would hate to see lvl 10 with stage 10 pet bullying everyone by just having insane stats compared to the level.

As an ending note: I disagree with you on most of the things but that's because I got used to and learned to love the game just the way it is. PS. Yeti is too easy now. >:C

55 minutes ago, NotTonyStark said:

Not having mounts in this game just to make the maps seem bigger makes me think the devs don't care if players enjoy the game as a whole, instead they care only about pvp and making this game an esport. 

If you want to play a mount-based-mmorpg:

- riders of icarus (combat system is s***,,...)

- dragon´s prophet (story not interesting,....)

18 minutes ago, NotTonyStark said:

4 days

lvl32

so i can turn in quests faster

as i thought.

PREFACE: doing story (yellow quests) and JUST normal quests (blue quests with 1-one- arrow only) allows you to finish story lvl 50 hm3-4ish... so personal suggestion is don't waste time doing dailies (blue quests with 2 -two- arrows) until lvl 50's.

so

no mounts needed: story mode is "built" so well that u dont need to windstride anywhere, because the path quests draw is the right way to progress along the game.

stamina: it is intuitive, u have a bar, when it depleted u cant run. walking refill the stamina bar. game is not THAT big u need to run 24/7 because windstrides are close to each others, ONCE discovered and unlocked.

combat mode is intuitive: u fight mobs, u are in combat mode. u dont fight mobs for few seconds, your stamina is available and u can run again.

mobs: yellow mobs -> no aggro, red mobs -> aggro. what game didnt have aggro mobs? avoid them if u dont want to fight them.

potions: 60 seconds cd is very resonable, but we have 2 kind of potions: the ones which can not be used in combat, which has almost zero cd (afaik), and potions . if u are smart u use the first ones out of combat (u are not allowed to use in combat obviously) and the potions in combat when needed. not spam. i find it very strange u need to use potions so often. probably u want to rush too much or not playing correctly.

map: AFAIK every moorpg has mountains which disallow pathing.  Istanced regions are not that bad, considering that in the middle opf the map u have also 24men dungeons and open world pvp fields.

pets: are expensive, must be fed and must be upgraded. which means that a lvl32ish player has NO reason to have one since your first rule for now is 

1- end story 

2- upgrade equip

they are luxury items. and u drop them in high end dungeons. or purchase them in market (F5) if u really need one.

all in all, u are a fresh newbie player which should focus on the game and not on forum, specially when your thread is about giving a biased feedback on something u already don't know anything.

end story, upgrade to 600-650 ap + adequate soulshield and runes, THEN post feedbacks.

@nottonystark im agree with you on some points :) Ok, a mmo without mounts (what is kinda weird), ok we can run super fast but.... for a very short time, when our energy is down we're super slow and have to wait long for get this energy back. I just find this stupid, if no mount at least it would be better to let us run fast longer.

Anyway i stoped the game and go to revelation online ! 

I have played MMORPG since 2003 till today. BnS is one of the best.

It's just too bad no good place (server) for asian people (that need english in game chat language). Also NCsoft update too fast (imo).

Well still I really like it especially pvp/pve, which we cannot one hit KO any bosses (even mobs) or players. Combos really cool.

I'am already Hm12 (well took me 1.5months from hm11 to hm12) and I still want to level even takes forever.

I saw wing costume in youtube, which will be cool. As for Ride maybe hopefully does exist later on. If not is ok coz BnS still cool with running (ninja like).

aww yiss! This is exactly what i needed since i have some time to waste.

1. Check 'remember my IP' box to avoid everyday's verification

2. For good 90% of content is your run energy enough to reach the point you need, but i must admit that 2x more of it wouldn't be bad at all.

3. Why do you need to teleport 2x in a row? Maybe if you missclick your location. It cost quite a bit? Even one lvl 45 blue dungeon daily quest gives you enough money to use it 5-10x

4. In every MMO i have ever played had mobs close to your level aggro on you. Go to lower lvl location and most mobs won't even look at you.

5. You have good 60 seconds to crawl out of their range to restore your chi. It's enough even on huge range AoE bastards like bosses on Soulstone Plains.

6. Run, jump, glide, avoid mobs, profit.

7. This HP potion system just force you to use potions wisely, not spam heal button like a not well trained ape. Needless to say that last game with 'unlimited' kind of potions was Diablo2.

8. On lvl 30 you have not seen enough to say that everything is surrounded by mountains. And Spirestone Canyon? Well, its a canyon, guess there should be some mountains, duh.

9. This repair thing is actually nice variegation of the game. And it is still an easy mode since you can't break the weapon followed by its disappear, which also in some games works.

10. You prolly chosed wrong class for basic AoE attacks.

11. lvl 50 is not a 'privilege' here since you get it only by finishing the story quest line. And yes, pets are super rare to obtain unless you buy them from the Ncoin shop. (i'm not sure if they can be purchased for HMcoins too).

12. I simply like the battle system followed by graphic design and variations of graphic customizations.

And what i don't like? The monotony of gear. The only little custom stuff you can do with your set is soul shield. There could be more paths of item evolutions.

TL;DR - I don't agree with you with most of your complaints.

PS: If you judge the game after 4 days, when you did not reached even 20% of the game content, i assume you are just silly filly

Ragnarok Online has more grinding and most of the things you mentioned are what they lack of. Their official server have very low rates and the RNG is pretty bad than BnS. But hey, I still like that game and I come and go very often lol.

Oh and about the verification code? If you reset your router or do anything that can change your IP address, NCsoft will require you to verify it all the time. You can also set to Remember your IP. If this is removed as a security measure, the odds of having your account accessed from another place you are not physically located could increase (provided that you have a weak password).

Cricket needs to discover most places so he needs to travel a lot until he unlocks a windstride portal. Blade and Soul is not a game that you get to learn everything on level 1-10. There's progress as you move along hence the purpose of the story too.

Only issues I have with the game:

- RNG, which may purposely go against your class to increase grind times (seemingly so)

- Bugs (e.g. combat stance bug, timer disappearing in Desolate Tomb, etc.);

- Input delay (most likely a ping issue. i.e. when typing I would have to wait a bit before I start or else the first letter doesn't show up, and I would randomly SS whenever I do S,D,S,D or any input when S and the next S is separated by 1 letter)

- Maybe other things which I have overlooked personally.

Verification:

Security is pretty tight. I have to pull up my Google Authenticator each time, which I've gotten used to.

Mounts:

I disagree with your opinion on mounts since in late-game I don't see a use for them. I would either windstride and sprint or just F8 for the day.

Windstride cooldown:

I have premium so it doesn't bother me, but honestly, 2 min is way too long. I think 1 minute should be more than enough.

Aggro:

I don't have an issue with this. I just jump or just run around. Besides, it's almost all and not all mobs have aggro. :P

Potions:

60 seconds is long, but it forces me to be strategic in taking damage and learn the mechanics instead of facetanking everything. At the same time, it opens up the use of crafted potions since they insta heal and have 15 second cooldowns.

Death:

Near dead state is a nice feature. And being able to be ressed is good too.

2 hours ago, NotTonyStark said:

Traveling in this game is either boring or frustrating. There are no mounts, which should be unacceptable even for a game made in 2012. The sprint never lasts long enough for you to get the next town so you have to walk most of the distance. 

Having to repair your weapon is an absurd feature to have in a game. How is it fun? 

These are common and legit complains of the game. People disagreeing either never played another MMO or just in denial.

• Travelling - Huge maps, no mounts, no wings, and a f*cking annoying bullshit stamina system that only lasts 12 seconds. This is the exact equivalent of a mount that lasts only 12 seconds and has a 40sec cooldown. What other MMO has bullshit like this? Which horse you know of only runs for 12 seconds and needs to rest for 40 seconds? There is absolutely no excuse NOT to have a mount in this game. Why it doesn't have a mount? Simple, to prolong the boring grind. I believe originally the game is pay-by-the-hour or something similar to that. Having insanely boring long distance walks = more time spent in game = more $$$
  • Weapon repair - the only purpose this serves is to annoy players. That INSANELY ANNOYING realization in the middle of a dungeon your weapon broke, then you gotta escape to entrance, repair, then WALK ALL THE WAY BACK (cause most of the dungeons has no teleports, of course). Anyone who talks about "economy balance" or whatever, really? You actually think spending an extra gold a day on field hammers will "balance the economy"? I have 300+ regular hammers sitting in storage that I never use
  • PvP - I'd rather push a stick down my throat and throw up than touch PvP in this game. If I want an "e-sport" I'll go and play something that's actually BALANCED and DOESN'T RELY ON PING, like Street Fighter. Being in any country other than the US automatically means you have much higher ping due to shitty servers. I'm in Canada and every night I regularly experience 300-400ping, I hate to imagine it for other places like SEA. How're you supposed to PvP, especially with melee classes that relies on reflexes (assassin, BM, KFM) if you have twice the ping as others?

3 minutes ago, Shukran said:

.........ok......

You do realize SF5 can do peer to peer (in fact I think it doesn't even have servers)? It doesn't rely on shitty servers like NCS has? I.e. it doesn't rely on shitty server ping?

So what else did you find wrong with my statement? Next time do some more research.

15 minutes ago, Susumimi said:

You do realize SF5 can do peer to peer (in fact I think it doesn't even have servers)? It doesn't rely on shitty servers like NCS has? I.e. it doesn't rely on shitty server ping?

So what else did you find wrong with my statement? Next time do some more research.

i find it wrong that u point a fighting game while criticizing a moorpg. but ehy, your post your ruiles.

43 minutes ago, Susumimi said:
  • Travelling - Huge maps, no mounts, no wings, and a f*cking annoying bullshit stamina system that only lasts 12 seconds. This is the exact equivalent of a mount that lasts only 12 seconds and has a 40sec cooldown. What other MMO has bullshit like this? Which horse you know of only runs for 12 seconds and needs to rest for 40 seconds? There is absolutely no excuse NOT to have a mount in this game. Why it doesn't have a mount? Simple, to prolong the boring grind. I believe originally the game is pay-by-the-hour or something similar to that. Having insanely boring long distance walks = more time spent in game = more $$$

Going to have to ask this, why have mounts in the game when you don't spend that long running around on foot? It may be good while doing Story quests from the start to end but after that there's pretty much no purpose for it. You're either stationed in one area like House of Pleasures or Jadestone or you are heading to F8/F9 most of the time to dungeon/PvP.

Implementing mounts would serve no purpose after you're finished doing the Storyline quests. I mean, is it really that painful you have to walk to a few places?

I'd be all for mounts if there wasn't a Cross Server system and I'd have to actually go to the dungeon entrance to go in the dungeon but it's already convenient enough to go to most of the dungeons on foot since they are literally within steps away from you(Speaking of the dungeons like Lair, Yeti, Masts, etc).

Archived