Help deciding a melee alt class!

simonshout

I'm relatively new to this game, I have a FM at around 40 and i absolutely love it but I do like to switch it up sometimes and I wanted to level up a melee alt on the side.

I'm stuck between BM and KFM. SF seemed a little too hybrid-ish and similar to my FM and AS just isn't my play style with the invisibility/poison/traps and all.

I was hoping the community here could give me a little more insight to the 2 classes (BM & KFM) in terms of play style, leveling ease, damage potential, survivability, solo capability, and the state of the class now in pve/pvp, Also any other personal opinons about the 2 classes are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, Spudsy2061 said:

KFM all the way. We do good damage, can tank all day like it's a picnic, have an excellent party buff that the legions love us for, and can make anyone in pvp look like a amateur.

KFM is love

KFM is life

Until a decent BM jumps in with all HM skill and fire build ~  left you wonder....why did I even play KFM ? 

On serious note, BM would be a nice pick for a new player like OP, since it has solid tanking and tons of room for mistake, also skills that can protect your entire party from in coming damage for a short period of time, pretty nice for a beginner to learn about tanking in dungeon and what not ? 

KFM on the other hand is more of an offensive-tanker, lots of movement - dodging - managing opening to do DPS while at the same time keeping boss agro, along with a team buff that increase the total DPS of the party.  

4 minutes ago, ShiroUmi said:

Until a decent BM jumps in with all HM skill and fire build ~  left you wonder....why did I even play KFM ? 

Never had that happen. KFM are in control.

On a serious note I like KFM because you as the main tank get to dictate the flow of the party. A good KFM is invaluable in parties and I really really enjoy being invaluable and in control.

12 minutes ago, Spudsy2061 said:

Never had that happen. KFM are in control.

On a serious note I like KFM because you as the main tank get to dictate the flow of the party. A good KFM is invaluable in parties and I really really enjoy being invaluable and in control.

Control me, mastah ~~ /shy

Thanks for all the replies! I feel like I'm a little more pvp oriented though so being a tank or running raids would only be out of necessity to progress in levels or gear. How do these classes play in pvp? I was told KFM is more reactive and more along the lines of waiting vs BM being more straight forward in trying to create their own openings. 

17 minutes ago, simonshout said:

Thanks for all the replies! I feel like I'm a little more pvp oriented though so being a tank or running raids would only be out of necessity to progress in levels or gear. How do these classes play in pvp? I was told KFM is more reactive and more along the lines of waiting vs BM being more straight forward in trying to create their own openings. 

Depends on what style you like. If you like gun a blazing pick BM; if you like to pick your opportunities and counter-attack pick KFM.

After much thought (and buying an extra slot lol) I've decided to go KFM- not only as an alt but to full time main! Everything about the mechanics was so fluid. I realized that classes such as BM or FM have stances they need to maintain. While some people might see this as 'depth' I see it as an extra button or mouse click to do the damage or CC you want to do, more of a hurdle than anything. Like the Warlock I felt like I was forced to do damage during certain 'burn cycles' or like the Assassin I was forced to be invisible to access certain skills. It felt more like a constraint and I guess I never knew how much it bothered me before KFM. On the other hand you have your whole kit available to you and you choose how to start and how to end. Whether I want to heal my self or do damage or CC, I can easily pick and choose the flow of the combo. I'm loving it! The only downside I see right now is the lack of AOE (@ level 15) but I've read that it may change as i gain new skills (?). I also do miss the infinite block from BM but the KFM counter keeps me on my toes and keeps me engaged.

I imagine other classes without stances such as Destroyers are similar but a little more single tracked compared to KFM, right? BTW how is that block not a broken mechanic? It's like invincibility...

1 hour ago, simonshout said:

After much thought (and buying an extra slot lol) I've decided to go KFM- not only as an alt but to full time main! Everything about the mechanics was so fluid. I realized that classes such as BM or FM have stances they need to maintain. While some people might see this as 'depth' I see it as an extra button or mouse click to do the damage or CC you want to do, more of a hurdle than anything. Like the Warlock I felt like I was forced to do damage during certain 'burn cycles' or like the Assassin I was forced to be invisible to access certain skills. It felt more like a constraint and I guess I never knew how much it bothered me before KFM. On the other hand you have your whole kit available to you and you choose how to start and how to end. Whether I want to heal my self or do damage or CC, I can easily pick and choose the flow of the combo. I'm loving it! The only downside I see right now is the lack of AOE (@ level 15) but I've read that it may change as i gain new skills (?). I also do miss the infinite block from BM but the KFM counter keeps me on my toes and keeps me engaged.

I imagine other classes without stances such as Destroyers are similar but a little more single tracked compared to KFM, right? BTW how is that block not a broken mechanic? It's like invincibility...

As you get into the harder dungeons, most bosses have "red" aoes that can't be blocked. They have to be i-framed. BM's i-frames are much shorter than KFM i-frames (0.5s compared to 2s), albeit on a shorter cooldown, and require more precise timing to not take damage.

It comes down to preference I suppose, in choosing BM vs KFM. Just don't listen to "BM is noob block class comments". If you were standing there like a dummy and holding block, you wouldn't be holding aggro (such tanking much wow).

Most classes unlock their full kit of abilities at higher levels, and if you really wanted to confirm your decision of sticking to a class, the best way would be to level the classes that interest you to 50 (just doing the quest line is enough to get to 50 HM 4), and then decide. With today's patch, gearing up your char for story progression becomes infinitely easier.

Without HM block, I find it pretty useless during solo play. As you progress on you will find that bosses will always summon mobs. KFM can only block max 2 hits without HM block. The rest will be hitting you during your block plus counter animation. The worst is you tried to block the boss attack but the mobs hit you first. And the boss attack gets you while you are doing the counter animation.

33 minutes ago, SoulsHunter said:

Without HM block, I find it pretty useless during solo play. As you progress on you will find that bosses will always summon mobs. KFM can only block max 2 hits without HM block. The rest will be hitting you during your block plus counter animation. The worst is you tried to block the boss attack but the mobs hit you first. And the boss attack gets you while you are doing the counter animation.

Except while you're doing the counter animation you're invulnerable?? Yes, it's an iframe.

Melee classes in this game are for PvP. Ranged for PvE, simple as that.

There is absolutely no advantage melee has over ranged in PvE, especially endgame boss PvE:

- Has no damage advantage

- 95% of boss attacks target only melees

- Hopeless in SSP, a 500AP ranged class will have an easier time than 600AP melee. Enjoy spending half your time dodging or chasing after bosses that loves to run around

- Very limited AoE

They are more fun to play than ranged though, since ranged = just stand in same spot + spam keys until boss dead.

If you're into PvP stuff then it's a completely different story. I could never beat a BM/assassin as a FM, not in a million years.

Also, the drop chance for upgrade weapons for BM is bugged. So unless you want to run blackram narrows/tomb of exile 50 times on your BM to get the damn breakthrough weapon, don't choose BM.

32 minutes ago, SoulsHunter said:

Only for 2 hits the iframe is active. If 5 mobs hit you at the same time your iframe only block 2 hits. The other 3 hit you.

Incorrect. Tier 5 Stage 1 counter makes user invulnerable to the application of any damage for 1 sec on counter, any statuses for 2 sec. Does not matter how many attempts are made.

41 minutes ago, Susumimi said:

Melee classes in this game are for PvP. Ranged for PvE, simple as that.

There is absolutely no advantage melee has over ranged in PvE, especially endgame boss PvE:

- Has no damage advantage

- 95% of boss attacks target only melees

- Hopeless in SSP, a 500AP ranged class will have an easier time than 600AP melee. Enjoy spending half your time dodging or chasing after bosses that loves to run around

1. - Very limited AoE

2. They are more fun to play than ranged though, since ranged = just stand in same spot + spam keys until boss dead.

If you're into PvP stuff then it's a completely different story. I could never beat a BM/assassin as a FM, not in a million years.

Also, the drop chance for upgrade weapons for BM is bugged. So unless you want to run blackram narrows/tomb of exile 50 times on your BM to get the damn breakthrough weapon, don't choose BM.

1. Not really. 4 has long range, 3 is aoe, 2 can be, v is, z is 360 degree. Sure it's not the aoe's you'd see on an FM but KFMs do have quite a few aoe's, including pivot kick.

2. Fun? That sounds like boring to me. Stand in one place and just spam. Way way way too many people care about the easy route. Fun games are ones you beat that were challenging. Also look at the topic. This is a melee alt class. Claiming ranged is better is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

2 minutes ago, SoulsHunter said:

Tier 5 is HM block isn't it? I mentioned that the block is useless without HM block. I guess you missed it.

You would be correct. Tier 4 Stage 1 only gives invulnerability to effects for 2 seconds. Having said that, Tier 5 is one of the easiest HM skills you can acquire on a KFM.

3 minutes ago, Spudsy2061 said:

Incorrect. Tier 5 Stage 1 counter makes user invulnerable to the application of any damage for 1 sec on counter, any statuses for 2 sec. Does not matter how many attempts are made.

Tier 5 is HM block isn't it? I mentioned that the block is useless without HM block. I guess you missed it.

2 hours ago, SoulsHunter said:

Only for 2 hits the iframe is active. If 5 mobs hit you at the same time your iframe only block 2 hits. The other 3 hit you.

If 5 mobs hit you, you simply Q or E and proc your 100% evasion and stand there and DPS them down. You don't need HM counter to be effective in handling mobs, you already have all you need.

Even bosses with multiple attack you can counter>trigger iframe and counter again and for bosses that does multiple attack you would not want to just stand and counter, it's better to either counter>trigger iframe then side step the rest of the attack so that you can actually do some DPS. KFM counter also allows you to move, making it possible to only counter the first of the multiple attack while side stepping the rest, the boss will not turn to you as they are in animation lock. This method of countering and side stepping is important in later dungeon.

22 hours ago, Spudsy2061 said:

1. Not really. 4 has long range, 3 is aoe, 2 can be, v is, z is 360 degree. Sure it's not the aoe's you'd see on an FM but KFMs do have quite a few aoe's, including pivot kick.

2. Fun? That sounds like boring to me. Stand in one place and just spam. Way way way too many people care about the easy route. Fun games are ones you beat that were challenging. Also look at the topic. This is a melee alt class. Claiming ranged is better is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

I think you misread my sentence. I said melee is more fun than ranged, not the other way around, precisely because ranged = stand in same spot + spam keys.

Also, don't forget if you live anywhere outside the US and play on NA server, don't bother creating a melee. They're so ping-dependent it's literally impossible to survive with high ping. Not exactly your fault though, you could have the best internet connection in the world but unfortunately BnS servers suck @#*$. I live in Canada, closest country to the US, and my ping spikes to 400+ EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, due to higher server load.

Archived