Balance Whirlwind please.

PsyFu

Whirlwind appears to be the most promising mode in this game, yet it's completely ruined by the poor matchmaking. A new player joining it should be given the following warning: "Welcome to whale city, where your gear is crap and team fights ain't pretty." More than half of my games are against - possibly pre-made - teams with 650+ AP and Challenger/Sparring mix each. Yesterday I was matched against a group where every player had 700+ AP and a good PvP SS, while the average AP on my team was about 550 and most players were in their PvE gear. I don't know why these people are in silver, but your average group is getting stomped, regardless of how unskilled your opponents are.

If you have a few good and well geared players in your team, you can probably give them a good fight (assuming the rest aren't feeding). If I spot a good player on my team, I usually go with her/him to buff and stunlock. That being said, if I want to actively contribute to victories and climb out of silver, I should wait until I get my HM counter/z, have 600+ AP, a Challenger/Spar SS mix, and an upgraded pet. Since that isn't happening any time soon, I hardly ever play that mode - even though it's my favourite. Hell, I could probably convince a few of my former Dota team mates to join me for some 6v6, but none of them are willing to grind for months to have a fighting chance and/or consistent victories. Oh well, I'm not exactly surprised that the devs are leaving the mode in the gutter given how a game whose only outstanding quality is the combat gets a ton of hate for being an un-optimized, FPS-dropping mess.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at 690 AP.FPS drops are killing the fun .I hate when the other team has 3 BM plus another BD. I somehow noticed since the event ended ,that the matches offer me at times to face exactly same and same party in few rounds. Not sure what's happening ,yet i do have the strange feeling that i'm fighting the same and same damn team .I'll check this further on and take ss of the teams.I suspect that ppls found a way to que in kind of premades. If this happens- well this indeed is killing the game and the Whirlwind will be again,very soon ,dead for good ,unless some event will show up again .

If you queue at the exact same time, you are almost guaranteed to get into the same match. You might get into opposing teams but with good timing the chance is higher to get into the same team (I think the matchmaking waits for 12 players to join and then matches the first 6 against the second 6). Thats how these "almost premade" teams work.

Also if you queue alone, youll be matched with at least one other single player. Most players who regularly play 6v6 and have pvp gear queue in a duo while many weaker players in pve gear go solo. So you'll most likely get at least one weak player.

Since the event ended, not many ppl play 6v6 so ranking up takes a while. Even if the higher geared players get to gold/platin there are not many others ranked that high so they derank to get more matches. Unlike arena the rewards for winning seem to be the same in low or high rank matches, so staying silver until the end of season is preferable.

The most screwed up match was against 4 BD. Grab?->Escape. 2nd Grab?-> M8 svaes me with aoe CC, 3rd GRAB?! -> SB frees ESC cd, now guess what happend next? 4th GRAB and i'm dead. And not one of those BD had good gears. The *cricket*ing restrained has to be disabled vs. players.

I am very satisfied with the current 6v6 matchmaking and although player base is a bit low it's still viable to find proper matches in less than 5 minutes queue time. I especially commend the 2 player restriction as it ensures that even if you get re-matched with the same 12 people, they get reshuffled for sometimes interesting results.  ^_^

- So far I have never observed match-ups with more than 4 of a single class. Even these teams have not felt harder or easier than more random class combos.

- Most players I fight in all ranking ranges are not whales, nor have they maximized gear. A 3 chall/3 spar crit def set is not a sign of being a whale, it's easy to get if you have been playing since launch and just shows you come well prepared.

- Many players with really high end gear are pretty bad in PvP techniques, which I guess is why they lurk in silver

- It would be good to introduce a daily quest that guarantees you a WWV chest key, like some quests do for dragon certificates. I really like 6v6 atm but do not want to lose a lot of time on PvE just to get enough keys to monetize my battle points. =_='

This should also help expand the player base, improving the play experience (bigger player base always does, for all the ranked modes)

• 3 weeks later...

Fighting a team of all or mostly summoners should be a free win.

Im not sure why people feel like summoners are so op in 6v6. Here's a breakdown of how you should counter them by class.

KFM/SF-many skills entirely ignore summoners iframes. Also q/e spam makes you invun to about anything they can dish out. Add being non-ccable and this is an easy fight.

Destro-spam ccs. rmb a lot. save backstep for HM root. If all else fails just spin to win around points so they can never cap them.Grab them after they burn escapes so teammates can instakill them.

BD-Knock out kitty. grab summoner. GG. Probably won't live past that but arial if they do.

FM-knock out kitty. throw up range resist dome. Giggle while you sit there invunerable. Bad summoners will still attack giving you big heals.

BM-two of your strongest skills entirely ignore their shroud and do insane dmg. even with 1k piercing against a summoner with tons of HP and over 4k def if you have average AP you can probably kill them in one combo. If kitty gives you trouble just focus them for a few seconds to kill them.

Sin-Ignore summoner. stealth and cap. speed boost in stealth is quicker that any class.

Warl- you are probably the only class that actually has to try to beat a summoner. sb helps. sanctuary helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Your breakdown just explains why single summoners are no problem. The problem of SUM/SF crowds is the strong party healing that's going on. It becomes a very uphill battle if the healing crowd has strong defence gear. Usually if I run into a healing team my first priority is to try to fragment them into as many battlefields as possible. Maybe even 2 2 2 in WWV.

• 2 weeks later...

People with 0 score already lose lots of ranking and earn no BP. This is already disproportionally punishing for people that might just have had a D/C, their dog might have pulled the power plug or simply a phone call.

Do not let your own frustration at losing because of a random disadvantage blind you into searching scapegoats to fry. Bad luck is just bad luck.

The only really annoying players are those that give up after getting a bloody nose in the first 2 minutes, or just because their team is 1 player short, and automatic game mechanic will never manage to filter and punish those.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2016 at 1:05 PM, Calcinha said:

Do something NCSoft, block players with score zero by some days.

Screenshot_161207_001.jpg

From your party list, I can tell those 2 players with 0 score was disconnected before the game ended. So, they are not the players who afk at base intentionally. It is just bad luck that your teammates disconnect during the match. Just quene up another game.

On 2017-01-04 at 11:20 PM, FrozenB said:

From your party list, I can tell those 2 players with 0 score was disconnected before the game ended. So, they are not the players who afk at base intentionally. It is just bad luck that your teammates disconnect during the match. Just quene up another game.

but.. ur dmg gets removed when they are leaving mid game too..

On 1/7/2017 at 6:05 PM, 882184_1452550488 said:

but.. ur dmg gets removed when they are leaving mid game too..

I don't remember if their dmg would get removed or not after they left the game. Well, you can't tell if the players leave the game intentionally or just random disconnect. It is hard to say. Just from my yesterday pvp in beluga, i only won 3 games in like 12-13 games because there are some random afkers and disconnects in at least 5-6 matches. In a game, two teammates were having issues with another two teammates and so they purposely afk in the game (Ya, i have a screenshot that they say they afk on purpose in the party chat). It is just another example to prove this game is so toxic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2017 at 7:14 AM, RanMaster said:

I don't think anyone plays this mode anymore... And I'll never be able to activate the achievements for those soul shields.

Players with Team Speak or Discord Synchronize to get in the same team.

6v6 definitely broken.

2 players 840+ AP, even "bad" in arena, can carry all the game.

In fact, all the wins belong to whales (the players who do Black Tower, actually) and the 4 others ("only" 700+) are totally carried.

No strats, no challenge, I'm deranking to 1450 while I was in top 50 (and even top 20) last season.

Nice "how to break 6v6 in 1 update".

On 3/16/2017 at 6:25 PM, Calcinha said:

Players with Team Speak or Discord Synchronize to get in the same team.

It is difficult than it is said even they use team speak or discord to co-ordinate the quene start time. 

First, they need to be around the same elo rank (not too far apart). Second, even they quene at the same time, it is only 50% of the chance to get into same team because there are other players who quene at the same time as well. Lastly, even they happen to be in the opposite team, it is easy for win-trade by purposely afk on one-side to boost the winning chance on the other side. Also, right now, when people afk at their base with 0 damage in match will have no lose in elo rank (I am not sure if GM fixed this bug or not, but last season alot of people abused this bug to keep their elo rank when they have bad team).

Archived