RNG wall within first 30min of gameplay

Susumimi

Just used 50 stalker essences and still failed to get my new toon's weapon. Now for me, I'm not exactly that worried since this is an alt, I can simply buy the damn weapon and transfer to my alt. But wtf were the devs intending to do with new players, who has zero money, zero help and zero knowledge? Put a damn RNG wall right in the first 30min of gameplay? What is the first thing a new player would do if they use up all their keys (and probably don't know where to get more), wasted 2 hours of their life grinding the stupid jiangshi boss, and STILL fail to get something that's mandatory for progress? They uninstall this BS, that's what they'll do. This is just beyond low making your own class' weapon have the lowest chance to drop from a chest, even from the VERY FIRST boss. Are the devs this greedy to entice new players to buy a brilliant key from cash shop THIS EARLY in the game??

Again in case you didn't read, this is a new alt I just started half an hour ago. I honestly don't remember having this much trouble on a level 8 weapon when I first started 2 months ago. I'm 90% certain they nerfed the drop rate for class-correct weapons at some point, maybe even in the latest patch. Pretty much goes against MMO design 101 - don't *cricket* off new players with huge RNG bullshit, save your RNG bullshit for endgame.

ePPflWi.png

Had also this problem with my sf alt, after 150 Weapon boxes i got my stalker class weapon...

Neither i could buy it through market nor could trade with someone, who got my weapon (because of level locked...). Also could not send via mail (because of NCoins..)..

Also...as the sf cames...all class weapons for him were firstly over 2g :/

That's a blue weapon.

You should stop at least 10 pcs if you have bad luck and then proceed level 16, sell those 10 weapons, and buy 1 for your class specific.

Then there comes purple weapon for blight, use your viridian key from survey.

No they didn't nerf the drop rate.

3 minutes ago, Tyrean said:

That's a blue weapon.

You should stop at least 10 pcs if you have bad luck and then proceed level 16, sell those 10 weapons, and buy 1 for your class specific.

Then there comes purple weapon for blight, use your viridian key from survey.

No they didn't nerf the drop rate.

How is a new player supposed to know this?

Again, obviously I know this because I have multiple level 50's. I'm talking about the RNG wall for new players. They have no clue what you can/cannot buy. Also, the brilliant viridian key shouldn't be used on the FIRST ever box... the fact the RNG wall is so bad on the FIRST boss is an indicator of the RNG bullshit players have to go through for the rest of the game. In other RNG-infested games at least the first few hours of gameplay is RNG-free.

It is all about RNG. I don't think they decrease the rate though. About 1 month ago, I ran brightstone dungeons for over 50+ times and tried to get my breakthrough weapon, but all failed. 

Yesterday, I opened a tormented weapon and scorpion weapon chest with 2 normal keys and got my class-weapons. In my case, can I say that they increase drop rate?

I don't understand, weapon upgrades were never meant to be handed to you just because you're a new player. I do agree with you on the part that these weapon chests always screw you over on your class-specific weapon. You seem to have gotten really bad luck from what it seems. There's always people trading class specific weapons in that area for their classic specific weapon in front of the wheel or talking in zone chat.

I don't think it's a really big deal, when i first started off as a new player, i remember farming for that weapon from the roulette with my friends, it was pretty fun.

3 hours ago, PomfPomf said:

I don't understand, weapon upgrades were never meant to be handed to you just because you're a new player. I do agree with you on the part that these weapon chests always screw you over on your class-specific weapon. You seem to have gotten really bad luck from what it seems. There's always people trading class specific weapons in that area for their classic specific weapon in front of the wheel or talking in zone chat.

I don't think it's a really big deal, when i first started off as a new player, i remember farming for that weapon from the roulette with my friends, it was pretty fun.

The thing is that unlike long-time players, new players don't have the kind of money to just buy off the weapon essences and keys. Even if they can grind for essences, if bad luck strikes them, they will run out of keys before even get their class weapons.

And you know what? At least the wheel is spam-able, and wheel weapons are tradable. Imaging running Blackram Narrow for like 50 times and still have none of your purple class weapon. Let say you are a new player and have that kind of patience, I doubt you have enough keys to open the chest.

Another thing is that when a new class is introduced, the chance to get your weapon is REDUCED! When WL is introduced, your chance to get your class weapon from 1/7 go to 1/8. Then SF makes it 1/9. If there is new class next year, it will be 1/10.

They should just allow to trade essences for class weapons.

50 essences for sure-fire result, or you can gamble with your RNG. Your choice.

Tie purple weapons drop from dungeon with achievement. If I run Blackram Narrow for 10 times, I should be able to trade 30 Valor stone for my class weapon.

It took ages for me to get the staff for my summoner and she was my first,  I couldn't afford buying a weapon neither trading it with a friend would help thanks to the level lock,  but what can I do,  I don't give up that easily xD

But to be honest,  RNG is so unpredictable... And I don't think they reduced the chances or anything,  it's just a bad luck...  

RNG makes the game more challenging and fun but maybe they can make it like « after x times of fails or not acquiring your weapon,  the times after have a higher chance of acquiring it or success if not 100% chance to succeed?  

1 hour ago, Alysha Hawkeye said:

The thing is that unlike long-time players, new players don't have the kind of money to just buy off the weapon essences and keys. Even if they can grind for essences, if bad luck strikes them, they will run out of keys before even get their class weapons.

And you know what? At least the wheel is spam-able, and wheel weapons are tradable. Imaging running Blackram Narrow for like 50 times and still have none of your purple class weapon. Let say you are a new player and have that kind of patience, I doubt you have enough keys to open the chest.

Another thing is that when a new class is introduced, the chance to get your weapon is REDUCED! When WL is introduced, your chance to get your class weapon from 1/7 go to 1/8. Then SF makes it 1/9. If there is new class next year, it will be 1/10.

They should just allow to trade essences for class weapons.

50 essences for sure-fire result, or you can gamble with your RNG. Your choice.

Tie purple weapons drop from dungeon with achievement. If I run Blackram Narrow for 10 times, I should be able to trade 30 Valor stone for my class weapon.

This game was never designed for f2p players to begin with, the f2p portion of the game is just a lure to make you spend cash, that is all.

In reality f2p games are far more expensive then any b2p or p2p games as far as i know and that goes double for asian mmos.

They always go by the simple design of "we created the problem, now we sell you the solution" (all sorts of restrictions, unlocks, etc).

Personally i rarely spend money on them, i just enjoy them untill i hit the p2w/restriction wall and either uninstall or go on hiatus and play something else.

Now all that being said, yesterday i was lvling my warlock and needed to drop the wep for upgrade from black ram, on my surprise it droped at second run...so yeah rng :/

Looking at the screenshot thats only 18 weapons so the chance to get your weapon was about 88% at that point.
More than 1 in 10 players need to open more.

Running Blackram will give you at least 1 chest (is there a chance for a second chest in Blackram or is that Exiles only?) and usually 1 drop per run so to get 20 chances (~90%) you only need 10 runs. Also to get 50 Essences from Stalker you need to kill it 10-20 times (10 times if solo).

Maybe merging the weapons of the new classes with the old for lower levels (as it is with green weapons) would be a good idea.

The thing is that this is not an RNG wall to anything except a compulsory desire to do things in the order the game suggests you should do them. Because there's a "lvl 7" on that item you think you need it at level 7.

But you can perfectly complete the whole 1st act of the campaign without that weapon upgrade, by which time it becomes irrelevant because you should have noticed you can finally buy things on marketplace. -_^

By the way you can complete the whole storyline without ever doing any item evolution whatsover. Just takes a little bit more skill, ^_^

12 hours ago, Shuchin said:

The thing is that this is not an RNG wall to anything except a compulsory desire to do things in the order the game suggests you should do them. Because there's a "lvl 7" on that item you think you need it at level 7.

But you can perfectly complete the whole 1st act of the campaign without that weapon upgrade, by which time it becomes irrelevant because you should have noticed you can finally buy things on marketplace. -_^

By the way you can complete the whole storyline without ever doing any item evolution whatsover. Just takes a little bit more skill, ^_^

Glad that you still have that kind of positiveness. Hope it carry you in this game for a long time.

Back to the issue, I still see lv30 people running Blackram Narrow, cuz the thing doesn't drop their weapon of desire. Or lv47 running Tomb of the Exile.

Unless you just play mindlessly without paying attention, you will know what weapon you will need for the next stage. It even gives the description to where to get it. Saying that you completed Act 1 without knowing you need Stalker weapon just means that you did not pay attention, or you just had bad luck and run out of keys.

Not everyone wants undergeared challenge during leveling, especially when it is not actually a challenge that they seek or the game requires to tackle on, but just their bad luck. Nothing to brag about "being able to clear the story questline with True Blight weapon! Cuz my RNG is so bad!" It does not make new players proud. It just adds more frustration cuz they suppose to clear the thing a lot faster with progressive gear upgrade.

And you know what? Weapons from less popular dungeons like Corrupted and Impetrator is hella expensive to new players. Good luck getting your weapon at less than 2g, if you play a SF.

In any case, NCWest are going to add evolution and breakthrough gear to the survey, or I so I read from the Livestream's notes made by players

One less frustrating thing goes away for new players and alting, at least.

sounds good!

I am all for a back up solutions for people to get the gear in a reasonable amount of time if RNG fails them.That's one reason why siren emblems and Naksun badges and so on are a good idea.

I also like that the stalker wheel of fortune remains, because it's a good early exposure to this reward system that pops up very often in Blade and Soul but is not necessarily a staple in other games.

Randomness has two sides, trivially one is the feeling of being lucky, while the other one is the feeling of being unlucky.

If you would take out RNG you would lose both sides of the coin, which would not be very attractive to people. Imagine every single item in this game was a token grind? Every Yeti run = 1 token. 100 tokens = HM skill chapter. Wow, I can imagine the joy. <.<

The thing is that frequencies have to be adjusted so that we have enough successes in a certain time to feel we are rewarded for our efforts. This is tricky because a) everyone has a different threshold how long they are willing to try (mine is pretty low :P )and b) RNG will mean that a small percentage of people will have horribly overlong time delays until they get the reward they feel they deserve.

I think having RNG with a backup is indeed a very good idea. You can have the joy of being lucky (hooray gem on first treasure trove!) but still get what you need in a reasonable time if you are unlucky (see coral fragments during last event).

Archived