Baby Warlock Trouble: getting Repulse to work.

R0nin

Hey, new BnS player, and new Warlock here. I just finished the "tutorial" section, and I'm having trouble getting Repulse to work.

I use Quell first, and the icon for Repulse pops up. I then hit "F" to use Repulse. The problem is, it doesn't actually go off. Well, sometimes it does-- but more often than not, it doesn't. The Repulse icon disappears, which seems to indicate that it worked-- but nothing happens. What am I missing?

Am I supposed to wait for Quell to stop casting before I hit "F"? Or am I supposed to hit "F" as soon as the Repulse icon shows up? (I've tried it both ways, neither one seems to work reliably.) Or is there some other part of Repulse's mechanic that I'm not getting?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Sorry if this info is already posted somewhere; I couldn't find it.

Ye. Repulse only comes up after the block gets hit then you press F. 
You don't have to press it up as soon as it pops up but as long as Quell is up. Remember that Repulse goes on cooldown. Quell and Repulse is pretty easy to understand but if it doesn't seem to be working for you then its probably something wrong with Ping. 

If you check the your repulse skill it will tell you on the bottom of the description the prerequisite to use it.

If you're using stage 1 or 3 repulse , you can cast it at any point during the quell cast time as long as it's not on cooldown from a previous use.

Stage 2 and the default no stage repulse can only be used for a short time after a successful block with quell, as long as it's not on cooldown.

Stage 4 repulse can only be used after you parry an attack using stage 3 quell. You can think of parries as a "perfect block" type dealy that stun the attacker.

Stage 1 quell cannot parry attacks, only stage 3 ~

Endgame, you can earn a soul badge from the tower of infinity that allows your stage 2 and 4 repulse at any point during your quell cast time instead of their regular requirement however you need not worry yourself with that just yet ;o

1 hour ago, Nowaki said:

At that stage, to use repulse you need to sucefully block a hit, which means you need to get hit first and block that hit to trigger repulse condition.

I understand that. But would I get the Repulse prompt on my screen if Repulse hadn't procced from blocking a hit?

That's what's confusing me. I'm being prompted to use Repulse (because I used Quell and, apparently, it blocked an incoming hit) but when I USE repulse as a response to that prompt-- nothing happens.

So I guess the question is, does it prompt me with the Repulse icon even if Quell didn't block a hit? Or is the Repulse icon only supposed to show up when Quell successfully blocked, and Repulse is actually available?

Or, another way to phrase my question:

If the Repulse icon pops up, does that mean I can now use Repulse? If so, something's buggy, and it's not working as intended in my case.

If the Repulse icon popping up DOESN'T mean Repulse is ready to use, then that's pretty strange game design-- but at least it would mean my experience is normal.

Thanks for anyone who can clarify this for me.

If repulse icon pops in your screen mean you blocked something and you can use it, but you can only use for a few seconds, it wont last too long there, also keep in mind that you cant push back bosses so if you use it against bosses it wont do anything.

7 hours ago, Nowaki said:

If repulse icon pops in your screen mean you blocked something and you can use it, but you can only use for a few seconds, it wont last too long there, also keep in mind that you cant push back bosses so if you use it against bosses it wont do anything.

Thanks, Nowaki. That's the information I was looking for.

So now I wonder if I should file a bug report. Because the Repulse icon pops up, I click F right away-- and usually, nothing happens. This is against regular mobs, not bosses.

My Repulse is set to make my Dragoncall cast instantly, and sometimes even if I get the prompt for Repulse, it won't work because the instant cast feature is still on cooldown.

Give Repulse some time even if you had a successful Quell!

4 hours ago, Huuxera said:

My Repulse is set to make my Dragoncall cast instantly, and sometimes even if I get the prompt for Repulse, it won't work because the instant cast feature is still on cooldown.

Give Repulse some time even if you had a successful Quell!

I don't know what the "the instant cast feature is still on cooldown" means. Is that like the global cooldown, within which you can't fire another skill (including instant-cast skills)?

But would the Repulse icon disappear when I hit "F", if the problem was the global cooldown not being finished? Shouldn't the icon remain active until the skill either fires or expires? Edit: after further testing, that seems to be the problem. If you try to activate Repulse too quickly after it procs, it fails-- and the icon disappears, rather than letting you try again. 

That's kind of wonky IMO; but I guess it adds a "skill" component, in that you have to time it correctly, or you lose the Repulse and have to start over with Quell again.

Thanks for all the help, I think I have it figured out now.

21 hours ago, R0nin said:

I don't know what the "the instant cast feature is still on cooldown" means. Is that like the global cooldown, within which you can't fire another skill (including instant-cast skills)?

But would the Repulse icon disappear when I hit "F", if the problem was the global cooldown not being finished? Shouldn't the icon remain active until the skill either fires or expires? Edit: after further testing, that seems to be the problem. If you try to activate Repulse too quickly after it procs, it fails-- and the icon disappears, rather than letting you try again. 

That's kind of wonky IMO; but I guess it adds a "skill" component, in that you have to time it correctly, or you lose the Repulse and have to start over with Quell again.

Thanks for all the help, I think I have it figured out now.

actually ignore that he is speaking of an spected repulse, not your case.

Archived