Request for information SF Earth Build

studioMagicalFox

Would someone who understands how to create a solid Soul Fighter earth build mind posting a description of that build? Which skills should get points and which stages should be chosen and why? What variants exist and how do they differ? Also, when leveling what is the best order to use in terms of adding points to skills one by one? It would be nice to have a road map for this basic earth build to use as a jumping off point for further experimentation. I know that builds are a matter of personal preference but I'm curious about the core structure which underlies every earth build.

I am by no means an expert Soul Fighter, and this is just my personal opinion and personal experience.

The build I use for PVE, albeit a little outdated since Desolate Tomb patch changed some things, nonetheless still valid: https://bnstree.com/SF?build=501000000051160310205117031030210503106053080211803209022200211204114031110532104125011

The build requires you to be behind the boss, at all times. This will get the most damage out of the build. I won't explain anything to do with Elemental stance, since that, I find, to be pure preference. Either you like Whirlwind or you don't or you enjoy spamming LB, RB or just holding down RB, up to the person really.

Now the important parts to the build, anything I didn't touch on is preference. Remember, the point to both ice and earth builds is building Chi to unleash Dragonfist onto the enemy while still doing consistent DPS.

Straight Jab (LB), S1 T5 - I've read some mixed opinions on whether or not points should be put in this at all, but for my opinion I very much enjoy the auto crit if this crits for reasons explained below.

Cobalt Punch (RB), S1 T5 - I go down this because more damage on the behinds of bosses, and free Iron Shoulders for Chi if a Destro or BD grabs. Normally, LB is used right before RB to animation cancel. Now the reason I like the effect of LB's crit is that this means RB is guaranteed a crit if LB crits, which means higher chances of Iron Shoulder (F).

- Breaking Claw (F) is only usable if you have at least one Chi. Breaking Claw is a requirement in your animation cancel (LB, RB, F) so getting that Iron Shoulder off is quite important, which only furthers my liking to LB's effect.

Now, since I said above that getting Chi is important since having 5 allows Frost Storm/Kingfist --> Dragonfist o' Fury, some skills would that would be helpful in obtaining that 5 Chi levels (since earth build stacks Chi very slowly in comparison to ice):

Elbow Smash (1), S3 T5 - Each block is 1 Chi. Very simple. Not for Tanking. 6 seconds is far too long to be able to block most of a boss's attacks but very helpful in keeping yourself alive (1.5 second i-frame really helps when a boss decides to do a 3 hit combo). I find myself using S1 if I'm pulling aggro.

Howling Blast (F), S1 T3 - Each dodge is 1 Chi as long as Howling Blast isn't on cool down. Very Simple. Also fancy effect of more crit damage since desolate tomb patch.

A question that may or may not arise is "why not S2 for Cobalt Punch?"

Well, will a boss be stunned constantly? No. Will you be able to walk behind the boss or i-frame behind the boss constantly? Yes.

Variances will be mostly applied to Elemental stance. Since there's always a debate between Tundra + Snowball or Whirlwind + Ripple Punch or whether or not Frost Palm is useful. There's the argument for points or no points in LB. Up to you.

There's also the fun one of Which V do I use? I enjoy Frost Storm, since HM Frost storm does way too much damage, and boss's don't normally walk around. So 80% of the time your entire Frost Storm should hit.

I'm not sure what you could do when putting points in per level up. Since for me its how I play my character that decides where my points go at what time.

Remember this is just my personal opinion, I certainly could be wrong about one thing, or maybe the entire thing, but this is how I play my Soul Fighter. I hope this helps.

The build posted above is really good. 

Whirlwind ripple isnt really that good forsolo target but is godly when you need to clear mobs. Tundra effects increase snowball dmg. Thats why I start a boss fight with z v rmb lmb and do tons of dps due to bonus crit dmg from z. Then go in to use frost storm (4sec before focus chi ends). Frost storm is really good dps over 5 uses, kingfist s1 is good for burst dmg (for last hitting boars ahaha) and hm kingfist s2 is really fun when you need to farm waves of minions (necro became so much more fun)

On 9/6/2016 at 10:52 PM, Lee Ryu said:

The build posted above is really good. 

Whirlwind ripple isnt really that good forsolo target but is godly when you need to clear mobs. Tundra effects increase snowball dmg. Thats why I start a boss fight with z v rmb lmb and do tons of dps due to bonus crit dmg from z. Then go in to use frost storm (4sec before focus chi ends). Frost storm is really good dps over 5 uses, kingfist s1 is good for burst dmg (for last hitting boars ahaha) and hm kingfist s2 is really fun when you need to farm waves of minions (necro became so much more fun)

I think this is more dps. If you hit your z and then do your dragon fist then back step into whirlwind followed by ripple. Just spam ripple as it gets increased attack speed. Also using 2 in between will keep your focus up but it's around 20k dps doing this. I don't get the same dps from anything else and it's a good 20k dps for 18 seconds or so.

• 3 weeks later...

The build above is really good

however I want to tweak a little because these are conditional situation

1: if you have 150 ms and above I would say whirlwind+ ripple is better

because Burning Tundra need good ping to diss out max dmg.

Nevertheless burning tundra is still very good because it does quick dmg even for boss that love to fly around.

Burning Tundra therefore very useful for solo dungeon.

2: ground ripple should be on knock down. Because you can diss out double cc instantly without needing to change your stance. You need to rely on your own double cc, not your team.

3: you just need to spec 3 points in Focus Chi because at recent patch you need to stack 3 golden dragon for it to take effect. Unless you think you can build 3 golden dragon easy.

4: Frost storm do more damage than Kingfist, however. Just as I state above boss night jump around, so if the boss jump away as soon as you release it, Frost storm can't do DMV over time at all.

Since I made this post I have leveled up, now level 45 and have also studied and experimented with my build (still earth). I think I have gotten this build into pretty good shape but there are still a few things I am now sure about. Here is the build:

RMB Cobalt Punch S1T4

LMB Straight Jab 

8 hours ago, Parenthesis said:

The build above is really good

however I want to tweak a little because these are conditional situation

1: if you have 150 ms and above I would say whirlwind+ ripple is better

because Burning Tundra need good ping to diss out max dmg.

Nevertheless burning tundra is still very good because it does quick dmg even for boss that love to fly around.

Burning Tundra therefore very useful for solo dungeon.

2: ground ripple should be on knock down. Because you can diss out double cc instantly without needing to change your stance. You need to rely on your own double cc, not your team.

3: you just need to spec 3 points in Focus Chi because at recent patch you need to stack 3 golden dragon for it to take effect. Unless you think you can build 3 golden dragon easy.

4: Frost storm do more damage than Kingfist, however. Just as I state above boss night jump around, so if the boss jump away as soon as you release it, Frost storm can't do DMV over time at all.

Since I made this post I have leveled up, now level 45 and have also studied and experimented with my build (PVE-Earth). I think I have gotten this build into pretty good shape but there are still a few things I am not sure about. Here is the level 45 build and my thoughts on it:

[RMB] Cobalt Punch S1T4 (The alternative seems to be S3 Right Punch/Breeze Kick. I am not sure which is better. I could use advice.)

[LMB] Straight Jab S1T3 (I don't understand why some say not to put points into this skill. The LMB is used often so would it not be best to make it stronger?)

[Tab] Second Wind S1T1 (I am thinking about going down the escape stage as a default, but using the others as the situation dictates.)

[SS] Backstep S1T1 (Using this iFrame to switch into Elemental Stance is very versatile. Especially when focus is an issue or the tab key is on cool down.)

[1] Elbow Smash S1T3 (The freeze and shift behind effect seems best. I am having a lot of difficulty mastering the timing of this. I've read that S2 is somehow bugged.)

[3] Ground Ripple S1T1 (Very useful. Perhaps our best CC. I am not sure what stage I will follow here but am leaning towards S1 for the focus as a default.)

[F] Iron Shoulder S1T2 (This stage sync's with Cobalt Punch. I am not sure how it compares with S2 & Right Punch but I gather it's one or the other. I could use advice.)

[F] Howling Blast S1T2 (This stage obviously because any reduction of the Focus Chi cool down should be taken.)

[Z] Focus Chi S1T3 (I wish there were more ways to lower the cool down. T4 will likely be one of the last points I allocate, if at all.)

[X] Chi Burst S1T1 (Stage 1 seems to be the logical choice as the Defense Buff might help to make our weak party buff better.)

[C] Self Defense Chi S1T2 (Seems like our best iFrame. Stage 1 for the Elbow Smash cool down reduction seems most logical.)

[V] Kingfist S1T3 (This stage or S3 FrostStorm? I chose this stage because the description indicates another use on successful hit. I have not noticed this happening. I could use advice.)

[V] Whirlwind S3T3 (Is this the proper stage for use with Ripple Punch or should I choose Burning Tundra? I could use advice.)

[RMB] Ripple Punch S3T3 (I like this ability it seems strong. The alternative is Snowball which I gather should be used if Burning Tundra is skilled.)

As far as rotation goes, well I am still practicing hard to try and perfect one. I am putting effort into staying calm during battle so that I can execute with precision as opposed to rocking back and forth between LMB -RMB while spamming F. When soloing or pulling I tend to do something like 2-3-Z-V-F-F-F-F-F-Q/E-RMB-LMB-F ... using the C iFrame depending on the situation ... repeat. I have yet to properly incorporate the elemental stance into a solid paradigm, rather I tend to switch to it based on circumstances. I know this is the area I need to work on the most. I also have trouble blocking properly but I am aware of how powerful it is.

So there you have the path I am going down. I would welcome any feedback:

-Am I choosing the most efficient combination of skills?

-Am I choosing the correct stages for those skills?

-Where two or more skills work together symbiotically, have I skilled correctly?

-What are my alternative options, and how do they compare?

-Which skills that I have not allocated points for yet deserve attention and why?

-Any thoughts or advice on rotation and the perfection of rotation?

-Anything else you may want to add regarding Soul Fighter theory crafting.

Despite the seemingly bad press Soul Fighter gets as a class, I do think it has powerful potential if piloted properly. It is said that the KFM is more advanced than SF, perhaps that is true, but the SF cannot be mastered by just mashing the keyboard. This is a class that appears simple on the outside but I think takes much thought, skill and practice to master.

6 hours ago, studioMagicalFox said:

1: Rmb, They are both good. However with S3 right punch build, you can get max chi level faster. The difference is small. You lost 10% dmg compare to cobalt punch, but when you go to kingfist faster, dragon fist dmg covers back up your dps up to 20% in the same timeframe. Cobalt of course go to chi lv5 slower, and it loses in a long term. 

However when you are in a mech heavy dungeon where you sit still, they are no different. You consider your own choices and situations.

2:Lmb, Yeah it increase dmg. If you use Right punch build for Rmb u don't need points in this

3: Tab, Just 1 point is enough for pve, or no points at all. The only dungeon you need to spec down for this is Ebondrake Citadel.

4: SS, yep.

5: 1, That's fine. S2 is only for pvp.

6: 3, I just told you, spec s3 knock down, because when you fight a boss, you can use 3 and 4 consecutively to knock it down. =.=

6: F, read it man. S1 do more dmg than S2. S2 is only for pvp, you lose dmg, but you can disable opponent blocking skill for 6 sec. just use s1 for pve.

F activate when you crit with cobalt punch, and have 6 sec cool down.

F also activate when you stack 10 energy(not chi) no cool down. When you use right punch RMB each hit stack energy. Breeze kick stack 5 energy.

7: X, I'm sorry but you need to go to T3 for this, it improve healing for your party a lot of you actually read.

8: C, I've play this class for a long time and I can tell you that this is the LAST option that you want.

9:V, as I state above, frost storm is an D.o.t skill that require target to stand in 1 place for dmg to keep ticking. Kingfist is accumulate all that dmg in a hit.

since you don't have Hongmoon skill of this, just go down s1.

10: V, Now im pretty sure you didn't read what I said at all. You gonna have to look up what the skill said because this is common knowledge at this point.

Kfm is more advance than SF?!?

pfhahahaahaha

-rolling on ground crying-

best joke of the day. You win the Internet sir.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2016 at 9:47 PM, studioMagicalFox said:

[V] Kingfist S1T3 (This stage or S3 FrostStorm? I chose this stage because the description indicates another use on successful hit. I have not noticed this happening. I could use advice.)

This caught my attention, you get 2 uses only if you hit with kingfist from behind. however, i believe froststorm is still stronger if the boss or w/e is standing still, if you have a jumpy boss or something that moves out of the frost storm, kingfist s1 is better, but you have to hit from behind.

Archived