Destroyer - worst PVE class (wall of text).

Said

Since game beginning destroyer had been a mediocre class. Never too good, never too bad. But 4 years have passed, some classes have been buffed, some redesigned and now Destroyers found their place ... AT THE BOTTOM.

0. Old/outdated design.

From ancient times destroyer have been all about anicancel. It seems to be our blessing, but turned into our curse.

Since destroyer is designed for DPSing really fast with his anicancel, every downtime hurts his DPS badly.

Out of chi? Huge DPS loss. Boss hitbox problems (Sundered Nexus) or boss moved? DPS loss. Boss out of range (Asura, Taikhan)? DPS loss.

Yes, I know some other classes have anicancel, but they don't suffer from flaws of this mechanics so much.

For example BD with equal gear doesn't suffer DPS loss even if he grabs target. He just backs into charts in 10-15 seconds (and outdps destro).  Destroyers cant do the same - if you grab you lose, boss moved - you lose, low on chi - you lose. etc. Slam+wrath after grab doesn't help at all.

1. Worst chi management (I know its called focus, but since all other classes have chi, I will call it chi).

Excuse me if I am wrong, but imho destoyer now is last class who still may have chi problems, even with good gear.

All destroyer DPS cycle during bossfight is about using lmb-rmb as fast as possible (plus burst once per 45 seconds). Not only destroyers are hugely ping dependant, but also every lmb-rmb cycle is rng gamble.

No crit lmb? Less chi. Small ping issue? Rmb-rmb instead of lmb-rmb - chi loss. If you press Lmb-Rmb too fast game will skip Lmb and you'll end without chi. Again.

Destroyer reminds me an old car.  First you enjoy the ride, but then suddenly you hear strange noises from the engine, and your car stops. You can never predict when destro engine will stop, will it be ping, no-crit combo or something else.

Also all our chi regenerating abilities are really bad. We don't have reliable "Oh sht, I am out of chi" button.

Destroyers either have to waste CC use (blitz/ram), or put skill points into terrible talents like Stage 1 emberstomp (huge DPS loss compared to Stage 3 emberstomp) or into Stage 2 smash.

Btw Stage 2 smash is not bad, its AFWUL. You know, when suddenly run out of chi, ability which requires 20 chi just to activate it and provides SLOW (20 per sec) chi regen is a bad choice. I tried it for some time and it doesn't worth it at all. Wasted skill points.

LMB aka Judgement... Why lmb casting speed is SO SLOW? When destroyer use LMB not as part of anicancel he looks like drunken dystrophic with axe.

2. Unsupporting support.

Okay, lets imagine we can live with worst DPS (we cant actually). Lets see how good destroyer is as "support" class.

We can grab and use "iron fortress." Thats all.

And yes, new improved grab with "restrain" appeared in game AFTER Korean destroyers realized that they are worst.

As for grab destroyers are still completely outshined by BD's who have:

1. better DPS.

2. better surviavabilty.

Iron fortress? Don't make me laugh. The party must be REALLY bad to make it useful.

Now lets have a look at other DPS classes who are NOT support but have utilities.

FM - best DPS, best party save, projectile shield and "oh shit" abilities. Backbone and carrying element of any party. You may live without any class in your party. Except FM.

Summoner - very good DPS (much better than destro), party save, party heal, projectile shield, cat(!) who can resurrect party members, tanking abilities. THAT WHAT I CALL SUPPORT.

WL -  very good DPS, tanking add, AWESOME DPS buff which can be used anytime and still better than restrain as DPS boost.

KFMs -  very good DPS, tanking, strong party buff.

Sins - very good DPS, projectile shield, party buff, maybe some other utilities I didn't mention.

Summary -  any OTHER class is better support than destroyer and have higher DPS.

Our stage 4 emberstomp is useless. Its freaking so outdated and useless, so it should crumble into dust. And if taken its DPS loss. Again.

By the way NC Soft could redesign Stage 1 emberstomp turning it into party, buff providing +10% damage to anyone in range (so destroyer could choose like Kfm between personal and party buffs), but I doubt it will ever happen.

3. Lowest damage

You know another funny thing?

Despite all mentioned above destroyer ability damage is just LOW. Yes. Other classes just get BIGGER numbers in equal gear. When you see 8k - they see 10k, when you see 10k - they see 12k and so on....

Some classes have DPS abilities with initial higher damage. Some have abilities that seem to have lower damage, but in real fight because they are boosted by some other "insert name" abilities their actual damage is higher.

I wonder if any eu/na destroyer have seen 50+k crit from any ability? I've it seen once at times when I still had true scorpion weapon and caught some undergeared guy at SPP. Fury+stun+smash+ challenger and sparring soulshields = wow I've hit for 50+ k. Once.

KFM sees such(and higher) numbers regularly, just as part of their rotation. End of story.

For you understanding 700 AP destro have DPS equal to 600 AP FM, or 650 AP any other class. Something like that.

4. Worst iframes

When DPS and utilities are not enough there is another problem -  destroyer is BAD class for soloing. Mushin tower, infinity tower, solo achievements or farm - destroyers never were good there. Don't tell me about praetor19, I've seen his videos. He was playing his destro for years and still he never shined among equal geared Koreans, because destroyer sucks as class.

Btw have you seen first destroyer NA/EU video "Yeti Tamer" on reddit?

Of course you haven't.

Because even biggest fan/whales playing this class haven't done it yet (I am talking about real solo kill, not party leaving version of it).

5. Clunky outdated class mechanics and skill.

No double CC.

Yes we don't have double cc. If we want to CC the boss we have to use 2 separate abilites, which can be useful for something else. Blitz and ram are both "gap closers" and chi regen, so if we use them for cc, we waste their utility potential.

"F skills" problem aka

Knee+Mighty cleave+grab = WTF???

I have HM Rmb. The one from chilling flames elixir. Its not bad, but because it is an "F skill" it drives me mad.

First it conflicts with grab. Because when I lmb-rmb-lmb-rmb-F for mighty cleave and someone CCs target I grab and drop instead of using mighty cleave.

Also we have KNEE, which dazes after mighty cleave and brings ever more "conflict control'.

Either I should waste two skill points to make "knee" nondaze, either it may bring to some surprises during boss fight when you use mighty cleave and suddenly KNEE.

Imho knee should provide chi regeneration as baseline and daze only if 1 skill point is invested.

Rage vulnerability.

I am old mmo player. I've seen UO during dialup times, first Everquest and some other old stuff. Lots of other stuff.

Destroyer resembles Arms warrior from WoW. I've played both classes a lot, so I can say destroyer design philosophy was partially inspired by it (and L2 destro, I know).

Problem is that this "extra incoming damage/lowered defense" feature is TOTALLY FREAKIN OUTDATED. Its time to throw it away. Its just annoying.

5. Useless HM skills and skill trees.

Nearly half of our HM skills and skill trees can be thrown into trashcan. They are useless.

Zen bean (emberstomp), 300 pages hurricane, stage 1 cleave, stage 1 and stage 4 emberstomp, Body kick 2 stage, headbutt and many, many more.

I think devs can see statistic of unused talents/skill, so there is no need to list them all.

6. ZERO basic critical chance.

Another thing from ancient times and outdated mechanic. Destroyers have 0 basic crit chance.

There is NO logic for this now. But yes, destroyers have 2-5% lower crit. chance that any OTHER class.

Another brick in the wall of sucking.

7. But you are good at pvp (are supposed to be).

I don't remember destroyers winning tournaments ever. Period.

And yet about been old and outdated. When I watch Korean streams destroyer is the only non-spectacular class. Tab, tab, c, grab, rage - oww, enemy ran away. Literally every destroyers move can be countered.

No dynamics, no cool counter-attacks and stuff. Plain and boring.

8. Hated child.

Now comes the real fun.

Korean developers knew about problem for years. They just didn't care. Nobody loves guy with the axe.

They love their Megumins (FMS), Narutos (SINs), Kiritos(BMs)... But not the axe guy.

Issue with destroyer DPS only become obvious when DPS-meter went live on Korea. If I remember right it was march 2016. As far as I know there was some fuss at Korean forums about that, and you know what happened? Almost nothing.

They started fixing "dark build". Three month later. And added "restrain" for destros/bd's.

During June, July, August the devs were buffing "dark build". That's all. People who had all statistics for years didn't care until users start to cry.

Conclusion.

At this point I think its pointless to play with this class.

I think its time to quit. I don't see any bright future for destroyer in this game. I have legendary weapon, HM 11, all necessary HM skills and class is still bad.

Every pug 4 man run is a humiliation for me. Every 4man run with guild feels like favor. To hell this all.

I heard about destroyers possible DPS issues before, but I couldn't even imagine that DPS problem is SO big.

I was thinking - maybe legendary weapon will help, HM skills will help, proper gems will help. Now I have it all and it doesn't help. Its all worthless and pointless, because class is BAD.

When I've seen real numbers, thanks to DPS meter I think that playing with destro was a big mistake. I've never been FOTM player, but being 30% (or more) worse than anyone else... Screw it.

Suggestions (for future generations. lol):

1. Class needs complete overhaul by Korean devs. Anything will be better.

2. My personal suggestions.

-LMB (Judgement) cast speed must be increased.

-RMB(Cleave)  cost needs complete redesign. Cleave need slight range increase.

-Knee should provide chi regeneration as baseline and daze ONLY IF 1 or more skill points are invested.

-Stage 2 smash, chi regeneration should be increased. Hugely. Cost should be 0.

-Stage 4 emberstomp should be copy of FMs/Cats bubble.

-Stage 1 emberstomp should provide 10% damage boost to all party members within range. Range changed to 10m.

-Emberstomp summary - stage 1 party dps buff, stage 2 pvp/personal resistance, stage 3 personal damage buff, stage 4 projectile defense.

-Stage 3 shield should provide longer and stronger party resistance and/or something cool.

-Class need some passive ability (soul of destroyer?) designed for long boss fight (and unusable in PVP). Like if you DPS target for 10 seconds nonstop you get damage boost. It may be some kind of stacking buff/debuff, doesn't matter.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't read it through, was freaking long, but i think i got your point. your point is that destroyers r not as good in pve as they should be.
well my point is, i've seen destros on the dps meter without legendary making insane dps, also their grab is now very important. 
imo they r better than ever.

1 hour ago, Said said:

[Moderator Edit -ZIP-]

Destroyers are easy to play. That might be the reason why it's outclassed by other classes in terms of dps. The class is pretty tanky too so you have more room for errors. (500% defense spin OP) If you are a lazy son of a cricket like me that can't be bothered with learning skill rotations then destroyer is your class. :p

In random pubs, I always have the highest dps, even when I restrain. I usually do 11-16k DPS as a destroyer. But in clan runs, I am usually the lowest dps. My teammates reach 30-40k dps and I'm at 10k. I do restrain, but if I didn't, they would be at 20-30k, I would still be at around 14k.

Damage for destroyers just rely on how fast you can animation cancel. But no matter how good you are, you will always be behind another class. There simply is no high damage skill you can spam. Maybe if smash could be reset multiple times like kfm's comet strike, or bm's dragontongue. This isn't the case; destroyers have either [lmb-rmb, fury] or [Rmb-rmb-Rmb, Q, X-X-X-X, Fury] both of which have a maximum of up to 20k dps on a training dummy. Again, which is lower than my clan mates during a normal battle, in which the boss moves around a lot and where there is wait time when the boss needs to be cc'd or is casting a red attack, you get the point.

The points about destroyer party buffs is valid. There is Emberstomp, which gives some defense and removes cc. Compare that to any other class. They either have range resist, or party resist. Or they get party damage buff [KFM].

Emberstomp gives defense, damage reduction (Which is useless, as defense will never max out, and having defense is useless compared to resist, as it won't protect against 1 shots, or ice) and remove cc, which I have NEVER seen anyone actually use since you never need it. It's only 8m range so don't even think about protecting your ranged teammates. Also it's only 4 seconds... and it's not even a resist. So destroyers just use the slight damage increase one.

The shield with 8m damage reduction (again, low range) is also useless. The speed buff - no point in a boss fight, and if there were one, you would be walking slow as shit with the shield. Damage reduction - useless against 1 shots or ice, barely does anything against range projectiles, and does not work against boss red attacks. The whole point of these false-resists is to protect the party during red attacks; but your shield will break during the first attack, you lose your buff, and your ranged teammates will be sad too.

Overall destroyers requires the least amount of brainpower to play. You lmb-rmb, then fury, then lmb-rmb, maybe grab once in awhile. Well, because of that, there is no 'max' position. Your dps will always be the same. There aren't skills that do damage outside of lmb-rmb that can be spammable / increase dps by a large amount. It's easy to master, easy to play. But because of that, that's all there is. The DPS will always be low. You won't ever be able to help in party resists.

You can cc then grab, and that's it.

Hello Said !

Im not playing destro (my main is fm), i just tried one time the one of my boyfriend in few dungeons. Actually it was not hard because there is really not a lot skills :/ I found the dps not really good, as everybody say, and a lack of iframes. :( So after this, i dont understand why there is a such difference between Destro and others class, and i find it very unfair for you and others players of this class. For me its absolutly not a reason to dont go in 4 men with a destroyer because i play almost all time with my boyfriend, but he start to really dont enjoy the game... After read this i think its maybe because destro is not really fun to play.

I REALLY hope they will do something good and change a lot for your class ! After all this years, its time for x) But yea, it look like they dont care sadly...

Every pug 4 man run is a humiliation for me. Every 4man run with guild feels like favor. To hell this all.

Huh D: this is really sad to be at this point and to dont enjoy the game anymore just because they did a bad work on this class >_< i feel really sorry for you :(

1 hour ago, QRob said:

also their grab is now very important. 
imo they r better than ever.

Well the thing is BDs got the same upgrade to their grab as well and they have the benefit of actually doing damage on a lifted opponent, while destroyers can't. So given the choice there isn't really any reason why you would take a destroyer over a BD.

I've been experimenting with dark build for destroyers and it does seem to solve the problem of mobility and having to have god like ani-cancelling, but it is actually far worse in terms of chi management. When they got the update we just got in Korea they already had legendary soul shields (greater crit and damage boost for galeforce) and the the new soul badges in particular Soul of Pain which has a continuous chi regen effect. We don't have either of those so it's pretty much impossible to keep your chi up for any stretch of time unless you get really really lucky with the crit rng. So the boost we got in this patch really isn't very useful at the moment.

Got to agree that the class seems to be getting more and more lack lustre with each patch and they really need to do something to make it worth playing. Bad dps, mediocre servivability and our one party trick is actually done much better by another class. 

i got destro ,it might be worst dps class but thats becose we got rly wierd patch here (newest skills withouth legendary soulshild and jewels)  and imo contribution to party is insane at the moment and it will be even bigger at future. The  8 sec grab is sooooooo good  and if you time Soulburn with it is insane  (16 sec  restrain) Dps is not everything and abouth iframes we got 5  and + 400% def- 25 % dmg  Tab that can be used nonstop.I was bitter about my dmg when dps metter came out but then i see huge boost on grab and im happy, think abouth poor  sins who just face the reality they arent in top 3 dps atm  (BM rly strong).

1 hour ago, Natello said:

Destroyers are easy to play. That might be the reason why it's outclassed by other classes in terms of dps. The class is pretty tanky too so you have more room for errors. (500% defense spin OP) If you are a lazy son of a cricket like me that can't be bothered with learning skill rotations then destroyer is your class. :p

By this logic Summoners and BD should be doing more or less the same DPS, and since you are at it include FM or... any other class but tanks/sins, because in reality none of those clases are hard to use.

Anyway, while I don't agree 100%, OP is right and you can tell that devs don't care that much because destros are not a popular in any region.

If i have 80 Million dollar to spent I will give it to NC to improve destro.  (and maybe the whole EU/NA server lag freeze issue..etc)

The most disturbing issue to me is party resist because our class completely lack it.   give our shield something can resist all 8 Yeti cruxes and i'll be happy x3

and F skill conflict because there are many things going in our F... i have mighty cleave, Knee and grab at same place..the knee one is the most annoying as they can unexpectedly pop out where they don't actually needed.

DPS problem is evident but not much i can do because i play from Indonesia and even with Ping reducer i can still hit 250ms or more.  If OP can do 10K... i can only do 4-7K.. thanks to 250ms.

Fortunately i play most with friends and so far no one poke fun on my problematic ping to dps problem.

1 hour ago, Reaper00 said:

Well the thing is BDs got the same upgrade to their grab as well and they have the benefit of actually doing damage on a lifted opponent, while destroyers can't. So given the choice there isn't really any reason why you would take a destroyer over a BD.

yes but i think destros long-term stabil damage balance this difference. cuz BDs have only big burst damage with their electric state, bud destros can do very big demage even without fury.

Shadow based destroyer is the best AOE damage and one of the best classes for soloing.

its class that less meant to be high dps on 1vs1 (main boss).

also its the only class that can get OP 8 seconds grab and instant FULL hp recovery every 6 seconds when attacking multiple targets.

its best class for one vs many,also easy to master.

about the F button,move knee to stage 3 it will fix the problem.

one thing think is that restrain ability should be removed from blade dancer and remain exclusive for destroyers. 

Just wanted to stop by and add my 5 cents:

500 ap destro lmb crit with 190-200% crit dmg does same damage, as 350ap(or a bit less? profane weapon) fm normal lmb

which is ~1k

and that made me sad

My highest single hit as destro was about 10k some time ago, crit with piledriver.(EASILY outclassed by long division's spam of 12-14k's)

highest single hit of fm? 12.5k for now

special conditions in party vs solo

Not to mention that ranged class doesn't have to deal with someone throwing boss/mobs into the air... they simply dont care much.

I'm questioning my decision of investing more gold into my destroyer, seeing very little progress in terms of dmg. Compared to low fm hes pretty much useless as dps. Long division(special skill on restrained enemy) is very good, but barely anyone uses restraint. After the last patch I've seen destroyers going for grab without restraint. Who can restrain the boss?! Skill becomes useless if there is noone to allow its use.

Grab on boss in 24 man raid? Sorry, no loot, you didn't do enough damage. Too bad that mighty cleave was available, someone cc'd the boss. But at least boss evaporated in 3 sec, before you could slam him into the ground.

Or throw into the air and annoy some people.

Something must be done.

FM is the ranged full DPS class of the game.

BD and destro are "just" DPS support classes.

if u struggle to see your dps lower than FM u should consider change character. because it won't change. u have a grab that has been buffed a lot.. for team purposes.

if u want to see TONS OF DAMAGE, reroll a sin. or BM. nowadays bm is doing tons of damage...and it is a tank.. gj

Shukran: if destro is support dps class, then which class is not a dps class? Is destro support comparable to full dps ranged support? Help your teammates go back into the fight safely and thats it, while sheath can pretty much negate mechanics.

Changing character wont change the problem. I really don't like ranged classes, but what are my options? I can stay at range and forget about 50% of things that melee has to deal with. I'm starting to miss some of the old mmos where melee were really strong, even top tier dps or nukers, this trend from a few years back is really making me question asian mmos. Why is it so hard to make class balanced? Its hard enough to grab boss in party when all those summoners insta-pin the boss. But to grab, boss itself has to "allow" you to cc him. Then add 30sec cd.

It has to change.

hwalien: I noticed the same thing :)

nerfing ... BD so u feel less useless?

Kinda nonsense ... BD can grap 6 sec.. destroyer 8sec

Destroyer can revive ppl and carry them to safe spot... BD cant revive ppl...

So i dont see why destroyer feeling useless for a groub...

And in terms of dps... we are meele... we will never will be abel to beat an even geared FM, WL,... heck even summoner... specialy on a targe that move alot...

SSP chough chough .. boar.. chough chough .. so dont be sad... im actually happy .. destroyer and BD got some luv...

Also keep in mind BD draw stance still buged they never fixed it and never will coz whatever reason.... = dps lose to our class coz best skils just bug out and cancle itself...

Agreed to OP. At this point I rarely see a Dest anymore. Complete overhaul is needed, our stationary ani-cancel gets old real fast, to the point where people would just use a macro for ani-cancel (still with bottom tier dmg). They give a Dest a restraint dmg skill even though there are responsible for the grab, thus making that F skill complete useless in dungeons. Even if there's a BD in the same dung with a dest, just know for a fact that BD wont bother grabbing the boss since the dest is suppose to grab for the team. might aswell delete Dest class at this point.

Don't forget they're also even worse in PvP than before, and before they were horrible. 30 second cd on grab now means most classes will have an escape. Still only have one reliable escape. Has to use that tab escape? Better buy yourself some time because it's game over if you get locked up by something like a BM or KFM. With the new slow attack on wrath it will usually get in about 3-4 hits before your opponent is laughing at you from across the map as opposed to the 7-8 hits you would have gotten with a proper boost before.

My main is a destroyer and it's perplexing why the changes were made it's not like destros were good before? Meanwhile classes like summoner and sin who were very strong in the first place have become nearly invincible.

@StellaNoxFluret

Destroyers grab is 6 seconds buddy. The 8 second one only comes from the soul whatever thing, which not a lot of people have.

2 hours ago, StellaNoxFleuret said:

nerfing ... BD so u feel less useless?

1. Kinda nonsense ... BD can grap 6 sec.. destroyer 8sec

2. Destroyer can revive ppl and carry them to safe spot... BD cant revive ppl...

So i dont see why destroyer feeling useless for a groub...

3. And in terms of dps... we are meele... we will never will be abel to beat an even geared FM, WL,... heck even summoner... specialy on a targe that move alot...

4. SSP chough chough .. boar.. chough chough .. so dont be sad... im actually happy .. destroyer and BD got some luv...

Also keep in mind BD draw stance still buged they never fixed it and never will coz whatever reason.... = dps lose to our class coz best skils just bug out and cancle itself...

Talking about PVE:

1. Destroyer's 8s is acquired through the badge. Most people don't have it. Even if they do, you can't use restrain skills after the 6s mark, making it the same as a BD. BDs can cast multiple damage skills while grabbing, adding damage. Destroyers cannot.

2. Those skills are useless. No one is supposed to die in the first place - destroyers don't have party iframes, un-intuitively letting your teammates die; therefore letting you use iron fortress. 

3. This is about Destroyers on the bottom of the dps ladder, not compared to ranged classes, but other melees. Even then it is still lower.

4. Boars run around a lot, and Destroyers only attack while standing still. If you mean grabbing the boar, that means you get no credit. Either way it's lose-lose.

I agree with most points, Smash focus cost is retarded and chi regen is low, emberstomp buffs should be improve, knee daze on F is stupid, but, only thing is :

Des pve dps is good with : (very) low ping and ani cancel macro (which is against ToA) , without it's garbage.

Maybe NC should improve damage of cleave since the quality of those servers , would be good for pve, but then u will see des in pvp using ani cancel macro and killing anyone in 1 second.

Destros and BDs are SUPPORT/dps classes. Support main means tons of CC and survivability + grab. Both classes are on the bottom of the dps scale, but they have the most CC out of all classes without needing to sacrefice their dps at all. Usually if you have a destro or a BD in your party, you should rely on them to CC and grab the boss so the rest of the party can dps them hard.
You mentioned FMs as "best survival support dps" class. Let me tell you this, FMs are the worst class you should expect to tank. Why? 18sec cd Q and E, 12/18cd on SS, 36sec sheath and 1min cd on defrost. Doesnt ring a bell? Those are the CDs of all iframes the FM have. Doesnt seem long? Try to tank a boss those iframes when you know you need to save them for mechanics. Frost Sheath is not a way to skill mechanics, its a PART Of the mechanic. You have the same skill on BMs ( HM1 T5/S3 block that resists 3 hits) and on a BD ( HM Tab spin that gives your party dmg shield and speed boost) and they have the same CD as Sheath. You gonna say HM1 on FMs T5/S1 block. Its not reliable because you loose half of your dps because of burn. FMs are glass cannons if you can name them like this.

Archived