Can this computer run B&S decently?

PoiPoiVan

Hello!

My friend wants to buy a computer so that she can play B&S but we know nothing of computers. 

I had mine custom built so I can't help her with specs and all that computer mats/specs mojo. She doesn't want to have a custom built computer because of reasons.

So here is the computer she's looking for (at Walmart) :

HP Pavilion 550-153wb Desktop PC with Intel Core i3-4170 Dual-Core Processor, 6GB Memory, 23" Monitor, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 10 Home.

Processor Type:    Intel Core i3
Hard Drive Capacity:    1 TB
Original Languages:    English
Color:    Silver ,  Off-White
Optical Drive:    DVDRW (R DL) / DVD-RAM
Display Technology:    LED
Memory Card Type:    Secure Digital (SD), Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC), Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC), Memory Stick (MS), Memory Stick PRO (MS-PRO), Memory Stick Select, Memory Stick MagicGate
Processor Speed:    3.70 GHz
Compatible Devices:    PC
Manufacturer Part Number:    N0A98AA#ABA
Color Category:    Silver
Maximum RAM Supported:    16 GB
RAM Memory:    6 GB
Connector Type:    1 x Ethernet, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone, 2 x USB 2.0, 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x VGA
Operating System:    Windows 10
Screen Size:    23"
Brand:    HP
Features:    Wireless ,  Bluetooth

Like I said, I know nothing about computers but it doesn't look like a good gaming computer to me. Does it even come with a good graphic card? Either way, I could be wrong.

Any advice? Thank you!

Actually you cant you need a separate VGA to run BnS (you have not listed a VGA) and that's not a gaming computer

these are the minimum requirements for BnS

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1680&game=Blade and Soul

Even though the requirements are listed as such you need to get one with little bit higher specs

should go with

processor:- core i5 4th generation

VGA:-Nvidia 460 GTX

other things are ok i guess

Don't need to get a custom one , search for "gaming computers for a budget"

go for brands like ASUS , DELL and LENOVO

2 hours ago, PoiPoiVan said:

Like I said, I know nothing about computers but it doesn't look like a good gaming computer to me.

This is for "office" use. For gaming your friend need a PC with dedicated VGA.

Tell us about her budget so we can help. The PC you posted is not for BnS. You want the best CPU you can afford, but a mediocre GPU is all you need unless you want to use Sparse Grid Supersampling which makes the game finally look good (but for SSAA you need something above a GTX 970, my 1070 can only run 2xSSAA with BnS if i don´t want to be GPU limited in some scenarios... :().

Once I saw Walmart, I knew this PC wasn't going to be able to handle BnS.

First, you need a good CPU to run the game as it's more CPU intensive than most games.  An i3 just isn't going to cut it.  The game calculates the position of other players in the area via the CPU, even if they are set to not show up on your screen.  You'll notice huge drops in performance to nearly unplayable levels in crowded areas.  I'd recommend at least an i5 and if possible an i7 if you can afford it.  Heck, even with my PC which has an i7 3770k overclocked to 4.0+ Ghz, I found myself struggling with stutter in the Misty Woods area (back when it was the endgame area in January).

Second, while the game is CPU heavy, you still need a reasonable GPU (graphics / video card) to render the game world.  The computer you listed doesn't have a dedicated GPU.

Everything else looks acceptable.

I used to have i3 laptop. The furthest I could go was Yehara's mirage (lvl 30 area) and then I couldn't continue anymore as every single time my game froze for long enough time for my connection cut of and kick me out of the game. It is super risky to get i3 laptop to play the game and possibly she can't do much in the game without dcing on each loading screens.

13 hours ago, PoiPoiVan said:

HP Pavilion 550-153wb Desktop PC with Intel Core i3-4170 Dual-Core Processor, 6GB Memory, 23" Monitor, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 10 Home.

That is not a gaming computer but, it should be able to run the game at low settings. Yes, they can run it at Medium but the lag and server delay will make you change to low setting, believe me.

Now my suggestion for you is to buy something else or build the computer yourself. If you want to play the game YOU MUST! YOU MUST GET AND SSD!!!!! DON'T BUY HARD DRIVES!!!!!!! only people who played on regular hard drives know how terrible BnS is. YOu have loading screen on anything, inside dungeon instances, portals, cross server, everything is damn loading screen. GET A SSD IS A MUST!

For Games, don't get i3's. Honestly get a i5 and consider getting a 5th ot 6th generation. Haswell/Broadwell or skylake those are the most recent. 8GB of Ram is the standard now a days, when it comes to graphics cards try getting a Nvidia 980 or 1070 about +$300.00.

Just make sure to get a SSD at least! If you decide to actually invest on a good computer you should consider buying M2 SSD with the NVMe protocol. Those are the newest SSD's on the market right now.

EDIT:

based on that computer model is around $500 at walmart! Im sorry but i honestly believe if your friend want a gaming computer should look at past $1000.00 I can build a computer for less than that because that is my hobby but for someone who does not know nothing about computers. Your friend will have to spend a little more.

This a "cheap" modern gaming computer $1200

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Labor_Day_Special_I

You can get something cheaper with AMD but i don't recommend AMD's on my personal experience.

AMD computer:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Six_Core_Configurator

8 hours ago, ZackGTie said:

That is not a gaming computer but, it should be able to run the game at low settings. Yes, they can run it at Medium but the lag and server delay will make you change to low setting, believe me.

Don't listen to this lie. the only way that laptop can run this game is on lowest of settings and maybe low resolution. Anything else he posted after that is a good advice

3 hours ago, cokaine said:

Don't listen to this lie. the only way that laptop can run this game is on lowest of settings and maybe low resolution. Anything else he posted after that is a good advice

Im sorry i forgot to comment about resolution. Yes, you are right i have a laptop with HD5000 integrated graphics and i cannot play the game at 1400*900 or 1920x1080. In order to play the game without using the setting for "Low end computers" i play the game at 800*600 and also changed my desktop resolution to 1024 x768 and with that i can play the game at 20-40 fps under normal load and in misty woods and some cross server i get 10-15 fps. I cannot do SSP on my laptop even with lower resolution and low settings is just imposible.

Okay thank you guys for all the answers. They really help and I'm glad to see that I'm not as 100% clueless as I thought I was. Now she has proof that buying that walmart computer for the sole purpose of playing B&S would be a total waste. We really appreciate your advice and suggestions.

To answer some of your questions/comments:

23 hours ago, weaponzero said:

Tell us about her budget so we can help. The PC you posted is not for BnS. You want the best CPU you can afford, but a mediocre GPU is all you need unless you want to use Sparse Grid Supersampling which makes the game finally look good (but for SSAA you need something above a GTX 970, my 1070 can only run 2xSSAA with BnS if i don´t want to be GPU limited in some scenarios... :().

She doesn't have much of a budget (about $500-600 for monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers).  She works at Walmart so she would have had a discount, hence why she looked there first. 

20 hours ago, Bezerko said:

Once I saw Walmart, I knew this PC wasn't going to be able to handle BnS.

First, you need a good CPU to run the game as it's more CPU intensive than most games.  An i3 just isn't going to cut it.  The game calculates the position of other players in the area via the CPU, even if they are set to not show up on your screen.  You'll notice huge drops in performance to nearly unplayable levels in crowded areas.  I'd recommend at least an i5 and if possible an i7 if you can afford it.  Heck, even with my PC which has an i7 3770k overclocked to 4.0+ Ghz, I found myself struggling with stutter in the Misty Woods area (back when it was the endgame area in January).

Second, while the game is CPU heavy, you still need a reasonable GPU (graphics / video card) to render the game world.  The computer you listed doesn't have a dedicated GPU.

Everything else looks acceptable.

I agree with you, I got a i5 tho I was recommended to get a i7, but it works fine. We can imagine how a i3 wouldn't work for this game. 

13 hours ago, ZackGTie said:

Now my suggestion for you is to buy something else or build the computer yourself. If you want to play the game YOU MUST! YOU MUST GET AND SSD!!!!! DON'T BUY HARD DRIVES!!!!!!! only people who played on regular hard drives know how terrible BnS is. YOu have loading screen on anything, inside dungeon instances, portals, cross server, everything is damn loading screen. GET A SSD IS A MUST!

For Games, don't get i3's. Honestly get a i5 and consider getting a 5th ot 6th generation. Haswell/Broadwell or skylake those are the most recent. 8GB of Ram is the standard now a days, when it comes to graphics cards try getting a Nvidia 980 or 1070 about +$300.00.

Just make sure to get a SSD at least! If you decide to actually invest on a good computer you should consider buying M2 SSD with the NVMe protocol. Those are the newest SSD's on the market right now.

EDIT:

based on that computer model is around $500 at walmart! Im sorry but i honestly believe if your friend want a gaming computer should look at past $1000.00 I can build a computer for less than that because that is my hobby but for someone who does not know nothing about computers. Your friend will have to spend a little more.

This a "cheap" modern gaming computer $1200

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Labor_Day_Special_I

You can get something cheaper with AMD but i don't recommend AMD's on my personal experience.

AMD computer:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Six_Core_Configurator

She doesn't want to get a custom built all-in-one because she doesn't trust companies like Fishers, Microbytes or Cyberpower.  However, a custom built computer is less trouble in the long run and plenty of people get computers from those companies so I will show her these links and hopefully this will convince or help her choose a decent GAMING computer. 

Thanks alot guys for your help and comprehension !

No mentioned here is warranty, pre-made PC(ie Alienware, Dell, etc) vs you make it. If you buy a pre-made system most warranties are around 1-2 years. If you make it the warranties are on the individual parts and can go for 5 or more years(ie HDD/SSD are generally 5 years).

15 hours ago, cokaine said:

Wut? https://gaming.msi.com/products/notebook/gt-series?link=GT83VR-6RF-Titan-SLI

Personally I wouldn't go for anything less than a Core i5 and a gtx 1060 or similar amd.

Archived