why add a dps meter?

LaraKelly

1 hour ago, StellaNoxFleuret said:

In Terms of 4 man Dungeons PPl are strict... infact so strict they kick u for having 0.8% crit rate lower then they want u to have =D ( true story )

Anyway its a fact they will exactly see who is lowest and if u not can come up with an excuse like... ( im a supporter or Tank Class ) its like NOOB =P

Dont get me wrong im not someone with 500 or lower atk im slowly walking to 670 so im pretty fine ... just being honest here what i saw so far and what is obvious...

Im just Glad in 6 man newbies will have not this anyoing tool to bother them...

And if it comes down to a dps raise ( example a Warlock who try to be cool ... biggest dps etc will go Time Desto instead of Soul Burn ;)

What is pretty stupid if u ask me Kappa

PS: I also not interrested to start a Fight over Opinions its just mine and u can have yours... anyway i log ingame now and hope its not 400 ping like yesterday =D

Have a Good one White ^^

I will kick the ass of any warlock that takes time distortion instead of Soulburn after the buff in this update.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18.08.2016 at 9:37 PM, Emma Frost said:

If you're not trash, you can dps while doing the mechanics correctly, especially when the mechanics in this game are jokes compared to others. Please go ahead and block me so I don't have to run into you in game

get your good quantity of lemon balm tea, because u might get enraged way too often with the dps meter :)

I don't care about how much damage other people do or what others got to say about my DPS. Only thing I'm worried about is me missing iframe, cc, block and all that cus I'll be looking at DPS meter rather than what going around me.

19 hours ago, gakdan said:

I don't care about how much damage other people do or what others got to say about my DPS. Only thing I'm worried about is me missing iframe, cc, block and all that cus I'll be looking at DPS meter rather than what going around me.

Then don't look at it and focus on the game. Seriously just ignore it if it bothers you so much.

But from what i heard you cant have that in 6 mans ore open world. WTF is that how am i going to test my dps without the dummies. The feature is pretty much useless if its not on all the time. Im to busy staying alive with boss in 4man dungeons to give a shit about dps. Low dps is better than dead. If the feature is only for for 4 then i don't need it. It will just be a useless gimmick since i never go to 4 man if im not sure my AP will clear it.

They will be considering it for test dummies. the problem with test dummy dps is that that is dps in a perfect scenario (excluding bad ping) where you don't have to worry about boss mechanics or in BMs and KFMs case, having to block/counter attacks or dodging aoes for melee in general. It gives a false impression that this is the DPS every class should be pulling no matter what boss.

They said they would consider it for test dummies based on feedback, either way.

I like the dps meter. I wouldn't blame someone because of lower damage as long as the run is ok. Only people who afk half of the dungeon should be blamed but if it works only in 4 man and on bosses, it won't help against such people.

The dps on dummy is only needed to make your build or rotation better. It doesn't matter if you can't do that 100% of the time in a boss fight but it would be great to check out if this or that is better or not. It's hard to say that after a boss fight.

On 8/19/2016 at 0:33 AM, Brand X said:

The harm comes from players.  Think it's bad now with AP, imagine adding a DPS meter to it, but since it's just for 4mans and individual towers, I see no worries with it.

the harm is that I can't use dps meter in 6 mans because people feelings will be hurt because they have high ping and/or suck at the game. 

2 hours ago, Solidarius said:

the harm is that I can't use dps meter in 6 mans because people feelings will be hurt because they have high ping and/or suck at the game. 

Well, tell me, since I've yet to hear a valid reason to have it.  Why have a DPS meter?  So you know your DPS?  Then why do you need to know everyone else's?  If it's to know everyone's DPS, why do you need to know it?  They're likely to be a different class than you anyways.

33 minutes ago, Brand X said:

Well, tell me, since I've yet to hear a valid reason to have it.  Why have a DPS meter?  So you know your DPS?  Then why do you need to know everyone else's?  If it's to know everyone's DPS, why do you need to know it?  They're likely to be a different class than you anyways.

This.
From all the pro meter people I have yet to hear a single valid reason for it being public.

I don't care about the DPS and not in favor of the silly meter.   I main KFM and have a Soul Fighter for an alt.  I tank, heal, and CC when I get the chance.  If this meter is implemented I will no longer do those things.  Reason being is people will start banning classes from their parties.  As KFM people don't understand it's a lot of work tanking and keeping our eyes on cool downs like Searing Palm.  Not easy trying to do level 4 Palm through out the battle.  Good luck to failed runs. 

Do you think ppl are that much stupid ? All know wl, sin, and kfm buff value , bd, des and cat grapple value, they wont judge someone being a bit under other if they provide other form or avantage to the team.

On the contrary, if u see someone with BIG lack of dps according to his class, u will be able to notice it. (slackers dont wanna be spotted ? ;) )

If u see someone with crazy dps above average of his class, u can ask him advices.

Every class can do rly good dps, more or less easier depending the class, but you will probably see way more "average" players than super opti dps ppl, and the "norm" probably wont be that high since it's defined by the mass, so as long as u dont suck too much there's probably no worry  to have about this dps meter.

@inura Doin a cc every 30 sec wont hurt your dps on a 5 min fight as well as doin 1 healing every minute, and also in any current 4 man , tanking can be done by any class, kfm and bm just have it easier cause they have tool for this

3 hours ago, Trilioh said:

This.
From all the pro meter people I have yet to hear a single valid reason for it being public.

there's been a few in this thread, but for me, to compare myself to others to get better

for example, I'm a summoner  and there's another summoner of similar stats to me, I use bees, they use sunflower, during a fight, I can see if our dps is close in range or if there's a growing gap between our dps as the fight goes on, like does me being able to attack the occasional airborn target, (yeti), put me even or possibly better than a sunflower summoner?

personally, i don't like the constant animation canceling with sunflower, but I do use it in select situations, but with the skill update coming and nerfing sunflower some, but buffing bees, I'm quite interested how that will show on the dps meters.

so to put it simply, two of the same classes can compare each other and ask each other for advice.

Also, I'd like to compare myself to non-summoner classes, like I'm interested to see just how much dps a Force master does.

25 minutes ago, Gamer4ever said:

there's been a few in this thread, but for me, to compare myself to others to get better

for example, I'm a summoner  and there's another summoner of similar stats to me, I use bees, they use sunflower, during a fight, I can see if our dps is close in range or if there's a growing gap between our dps as the fight goes on, like does me being able to attack the occasional airborn target, (yeti), put me even or possibly better than a sunflower summoner?

personally, i don't like the constant animation canceling with sunflower, but I do use it in select situations, but with the skill update coming and nerfing sunflower some, but buffing bees, I'm quite interested how that will show on the dps meters.

so to put it simply, two of the same classes can compare each other and ask each other for advice.

Also, I'd like to compare myself to non-summoner classes, like I'm interested to see just how much dps a Force master does.

FM is one of the highest DPS in game, so won't be any surprise there. What's going to happen is SM is going to be near bottom and folks will use the meter as an excuse to kick them from parties or disband parties when one joins.  When that happens, and you already see 'no SM' messages for parties NOW, there'll be a major drop in population as the SM's quit then the 'elites' will be whining about no one to run dungeons with and/or PVP with and then will leave the game they helped murder. 

They'll just go to another game and repeat their behavior and the cycle will go on and on.

Pros and cons, I would say. Anyone playing a class that has utility skills but chose not to use them for the sake of seeing their numbers at the top would result in a more probable class discrimination within the community in the future.

1 hour ago, Gamer4ever said:

You can easily accomplish that yourself. In fact, that would be more reliable, since that other summoner will likely have different gear\level\skills than you do, will have more\less lag\fps, will be less\more occupied with mechanics, etc ...

As for other classes, you can be sure weighted dps charts will come up soon after the meter comes in, if there aren't some out already. Which again, will likely be more reliable than what you can get from random pugs. And as was stated before, this will likely lead to (more) class discrimination, so not a positive point.

12 minutes ago, Trilioh said:

You can easily accomplish that yourself. In fact, that would be more reliable, since that other summoner will likely have different gear\level\skills than you do, will have more\less lag\fps, will be less\more occupied with mechanics, etc ...

As for other classes, you can be sure weighted dps charts will come up soon after the meter comes in, if there aren't some out already. Which again, will likely be more reliable than what you can get from random pugs. And as was stated before, this will likely lead to (more) class discrimination, so not a positive point.

well I did say similar stats, but I know there are tons of variables, ping, lag, string of bad luck.

heck, as a bee Summoner, there are times in a fight I'm out of focus, doom, Q and 4(HM) is on cool down and my 58% crit rate decided not to work for a few seconds, so I have to LMB to a decent focus level. that's time I'm doing crap dmg. but there are other times the stars align and I'm literally machine gunning the bees for like five or more seconds and occasionally get aggro.

on the other hand, using Sunflower build, with HM LMB, focus isn't a problem like with bees, just use doom and nettles and spam LMB and RMB, or use HM4 at every opportunity and spam RMB

I personally won't use the dps meter to berate others, what point would that serve? heck if someone's berating me (hasn't happened yet and I've played since release), i just ignore them and move on. the only time I'd comment about someone dps is to praise them.

For example, Force Master did 40% dmg in a 6-man? Awesome job man! Maybe the des and bd were trading grabs, no? So what, maybe there were a few deaths and the FM tanked the boss while a party member or two rezzed the dead players? the FM may be the dps mvp that round, but maybe they'll be second the next for what ever reason, ping, lag, party just getting better. I'm not going to point and laugh. But if that FM starts berating the party because of their 'lacking' dps, I'd just ignore them and move on, and if the party doesn't disband, I might even stay, we beat the dungeon after all, the FM may be a jerk in that situation, but their a skilled jerk.

But as I said in an earlier post, I really don't understand how a meter can change someones behavior to be selfish when they weren't before.

And sure, I could just switch to my sunflower build and test it personally, but as I mentioned, I don't like the build, I'll use it for certain situations, since it's obviously better, Necro and gloom point defense or any other situation were I know I'm going to be fighting a lots of groups of enemies, but I'd rather compare myself to another summoner using sunflower. I'll always main bees, but it's nice to see the dmg potential of another build I can switch to if I need to.

Anyway,  I like seeing a visual, number indicator of performance

Certain people will use the meter properly, and unfortunately, going by other peoples comments, others won't use it properly.

Maybe I'm naive since I've only played two MMO's with dps meters and was spoiled with a purely  positive experience with them, but maybe I'll be lucky like in those two games and never encounter the toxic side of it, but if I do, I'll just ignore it and move on, there's always going to be a new party to join.

Wow, that went on a lot longer than i intended

20 minutes ago, Gamer4ever said:

well I did say similar stats, but I know there are tons of variables, ping, lag, string of bad luck.

heck, as a bee Summoner, there are times in a fight I'm out of focus, doom, Q and 4(HM) is on cool down and my 58% crit rate decided not to work for a few seconds, so I have to LMB to a decent focus level. that's time I'm doing crap dmg. but there are other times the stars align and I'm literally machine gunning the bees for like five or more seconds and occasionally get aggro.

on the other hand, using Sunflower build, with HM LMB, focus isn't a problem like with bees, just use doom and nettles and spam LMB and RMB, or use HM4 at every opportunity and spam RMB

I personally won't use the dps meter to berate others, what point would that serve? heck if someone's berating me (hasn't happened yet and I've played since release), i just ignore them and move on. the only time I'd comment about someone dps is to praise them.

For example, Force Master did 40% dmg in a 6-man? Awesome job man! Maybe the des and bd were trading grabs, no? So what, maybe there were a few deaths and the FM tanked the boss while a party member or two rezzed the dead players? the FM may be the dps mvp that round, but maybe they'll be second the next for what ever reason, ping, lag, party just getting better. I'm not going to point and laugh. But if that FM starts berating the party because of their 'lacking' dps, I'd just ignore them and move on, and if the party doesn't disband, I might even stay, we beat the dungeon after all, the FM may be a jerk in that situation, but their a skilled jerk.

But as I said in an earlier post, I really don't understand how a meter can change someones behavior to be selfish when they weren't before.

And sure, I could just switch to my sunflower build and test it personally, but as I mentioned, I don't like the build, I'll use it for certain situations, since it's obviously better, Necro and gloom point defense or any other situation were I know I'm going to be fighting a lots of groups of enemies, but I'd rather compare myself to another summoner using sunflower. I'll always main bees, but it's nice to see the dmg potential of another build I can switch to if I need to.

Anyway,  I like seeing a visual, number indicator of performance

Certain people will use the meter properly, and unfortunately, going by other peoples comments, others won't use it properly.

Maybe I'm naive since I've only played two MMO's with dps meters and was spoiled with a purely  positive experience with them, but maybe I'll be lucky like in those two games and never encounter the toxic side of it, but if I do, I'll just ignore it and move on, there's always going to be a new party to join.

Wow, that went on a lot longer than i intended

what are those 2 games with no toxic behavior involving dps meter? i find that is hard to believe....

42 minutes ago, arkvard said:

what are those 2 games with no toxic behavior involving dps meter? i find that is hard to believe....

I'm not saying there wasn't toxic behavior, I just never encountered it.

The two games are Tera, I'm pretty sure it had a built in dps meter, i remember using one of some kind when I was the gun class, but couldn't find it when i tried out the ninja.

The other is Lunia, it was actually the first game i experienced a dps meter with, I vaguely remember the community was against it for the same reasons as here, but again, i didn't experience any of the toxic behavior.

Also, if Vindictus' version counts, that was a positive experience for me as well, and I played that since release, but the community was also against it.

6 minutes ago, Gamer4ever said:

Tera, I'm pretty sure it had a built in dps meter

There is no dps meter in tera, it was a 3rd party application used by some ppl.

Vindictus is like : 24000atk or kick...

4 minutes ago, KzE said:

There is no dps meter in tera, it was a 3rd party application used by some ppl.

Vindictus is like : 24000atk or kick...

Just did a quick search and your right, tera doesn't have a built in dps, weird, I must've downloaded one or something cause I could've sworn i used a Dps meter as the gunner class.

Guess Lunia is the only valid game I can use since I know for a fact that it had a built in Dps meter when I played it

Vindictus has a post battle report, it displays the top dmg dealer to all and your personal dps/rank

19 minutes ago, Gamer4ever said:

Just did a quick search and your right, tera doesn't have a built in dps, weird, I must've downloaded one or something cause I could've sworn i used a Dps meter as the gunner class.

Guess Lunia is the only valid game I can use since I know for a fact that it had a built in Dps meter when I played it

Vindictus has a post battle report, it displays the top dmg dealer to all and your personal dps/rank

can you show me a video of lunia online with dps meter? i can't find any of it...

I managed to find this one but the quality isn't the best, there really isn't a lot of vids with the dps meter, weird.

I found another, but it was solo and the quality was better, but not by much

EDIT: found a MUCH better vid

starts at 1:54

Archived