why add a dps meter?

LaraKelly

I also like to add that actually there is already the combat log that better shows everyone contributions including yourself,  and it doesn't just show damage.... I normally do review this after the battle to see how did everything go.... I could even view it as it goes but it scroll to fast, so review it after the battle...I think this alone is enough and way more detailed. 

I think a dsp meter only summaries and cuts out all those details and only focus on dps alone.  I personally don't feel positive about this even tho some may be able to use it as a positive tool, I feel it can be use as a good thing but most likely won't as in many other games I play that has such things. Which is normally the case i think....

I do have a clan etc and normally do stuff with the clan so but occasionally I do pug. and personally I did really enjoy the fact that BnS did not have such thing and how it is way better then the annoying trying to out dpsing each other as I had experienced before in other games. I  especially do enjoy stuff like Destroyers carrying the boss so everyone can damage him further and many other buff etc which I feel may become a thing of the past and maybe only in clans can this happen.  also in other games that I played that doesn't have such a thing as like this dps meter, the tendency to help each other is always better. Well that my experience so far, so I  think this shall  actually not end up to become a positive thing....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would rather have something like a threat meter, that way people can only assume they have higher dps, or maybe others are just using no threat skills. not a fan of the dps meter because all it brings is toxicity, we're honestly fine without it, it's not essential in any way. regardless, if they're going to add it or not doesn't matter to me.

In the past, many people have suggested a DPS meter system similar to Vindictus, where only the person in 1st is publicly displayed and everyone below that can only see their own individual ranking/percent. Surely, if people only wanted damage meters to better themselves, a system like this would be enough. What's the benefit of public damage meters if not for bragging rights or shaming others? The world may never know.

I'm in favour of the DPS Meter for the fact I can check my own personal output with certain builds.

The downside is going  to be public dungeons, not so much because of the toxic flaming  because that can be ignored, I'm  worried about people  trying to skip or forget mechanics to get a little big of extra DPS out, for example I can see alot of this crap happening at Masts twins for example, people  not collecting flowers properly because they are too focused on the DPS.

I like the idea of a personal DPS meter, in fact, I want one.

Ideally, it would offer an easy read of current DPS while in combat and a calculator of dmg after combat. It would help players test their own skill trees, rotations and such. It would not be limited to party dungeon runs because testing solo DMG on different mobs like in Mushins is important for improving (if that is what a meter is actually for).

BnS community could share their numbers and build a player-driven database of expected DPS in various conditions to help players know what to expect from their own characters and other players. It could be used to help players work on their DPS at their own pace. Players could create strategies based on balancing DPS and other necessary but non-DPS contributions.

That's not the DPS meter we're getting :( 

We're getting the "mine is bigger than yours, the game said so!" meter. The last thing this game needs is a deliberate high-pressure focus on DPS. The community is not a mature one, it's overly obsessed with DPS as it already is, and seems to frequently forget that every player is at a different point in personal progress.

People really shouldn't care who did the most/least in a successful run especially when the meter doesn't account for class, level, skill build or mechanics contribution. Coordinated parties trying to diagnose party issues could share their numbers by choice; DPS should be private in PUGs which just run the dungeons and go their merry way.

A public meter could be most useful in mentor situations (if any ever happens) and identifying bots, the worst of the slackers, and if DPS was the problem in a failed run (it's usually not, it's usually mechanics).

Otherwise, I don't see much benefit from this type of DMG meter. If anything, maybe those non-tank players who think holding boss aggro means their DPS is the best will figure out boss aggro is not a DPS meter.

Hopefully things will turn out better, if not, hopefully the dev response will be to develop a meter which is helpful and not just a brag/nag tool.

In all of these threads so far nearly everyone in favor of the DPS meter says they want it to improve themselves, and everyone against it claim the problem lies in the public display of the meter.

So.. why is it not a personal thing?

Just to throw my "vote" in- Unless it will indeed be personal, as someone whos pugs all his parties I think this is a horrible idea that'll make pugging a far worse experience.

If there is one thing I can't wrap my head around..its that why is it that eastern players don't misuse this tool but western players as evident in other games most certainly will?

In Korea they don't look at your dps or your AP only. They either look at your collective stats as a whole or trust your word when they ask for experienced and you say you are. Of course in Korea you'll probably be name and shamed and rejected from future parties if you lie..but why would you lie?

Also no they don't ask to link achievement because they're smart enough to think if you're on an alt or not...why can't western players be more like this?...

/Rant end.

There alot Reasons i luv Bns...

And there alot Reasons i hate it...

Some Reasons i hate it is the Fact that... coz of the Enrage Timer nonsense ...( what no even make the Boss more Fun or the Battel intense in my Eyes rather anyoing)

This Timer made all PPL go insane in da Brain x,D

Eva,Block,Def,HP etc all those Stats in Bns are for Decoration... while all want u go full critrate and dmg and OFC AP... MHHHH AP... *kotz*

Honestly i would luv to fight any Boss aslong i want to test different things and have a survival Battel... or when all my Party members die.... i would luv to fight the Boss solo...

Just so i can go Hero Mode... and in the correct Timing use a Mass Revive and be the useful... but Nope.... all ppl give up and say RESET!!!!!!! RESETTTTTT!!! at me even so i could tank for ages...

and actually bring them back... NOPE.... RESET U CRICKET... this is what i hear... Enrage timer sure NOT fun... and now ppl will rage at me for not going full critrate zzz

Having your Own Build and Stats will be immpossible coz all want only one thing... there is no alternative way in Bns... this is what sux the most... since they removed all Gears beside Hongmoon Path... u cant upgrade those gears beside the start path ... sux badly.... have fun with this useless meter... 

PS: Best experince ever was... when a Guy ( we was allready in Dungeon) Rage at me for having 0.8% to low crit rate... and he left party... and all left after... sry this logic is beyond ridicoulse

10 hours ago, Cherish said:

Yep a few weeks back around 20% Of the people on the DPS Meter threads wanted them.  80% of us said the community was already toxic enough without putting in DPS Meters.  I am a Warlock and in all PUG groups I will no longer be using Soulburn.  If we are to be DPS driven then I will ONLY use skills that ouput DPS.  I also know quite a few others who will not be using their party skills so I see this DPS update as being extremely detrimental to the game.

So to all the DPS Meter lovers please don't scream when you are getting no party buffs etc because you did get your DPS Meter and now we are all ruled by it.

10 hours ago, LilMsQT said:

I was wondering the same thing.

I have petal grp skill and heal party, as well as entangle, daze and 50% reduced speed defuffs for boss/adds but I took those in sacrifice for more dps...so I might have to respec if ppl spaz out about dps

2 primary examples of using dps wrong. Dps will only show top 3 people and youself.Seriously the people complaining for stupid people who want to compete for the sake of dps are the one who are going to *cricket* their team over. learn you role and help your team. dps is there just so you can see what build is more helpful and has more dps.I just recently did masts and halfway trough the dungeon the weapon broke and the team told me to just focus on buffing with warlock and leave the dps and party protection to them. The whole community already knows about the ping problems of this game an the general role of each class so i dont think they will be as stupid. what is most likely to happen is people will avoid dps whores in dungeons. it will probably be: 500+ ap , no dps whores. Dps meter will mostly be for yourself and your builds or for solo or easy dungeons where you can do a dick measuring contest with other player just for fun. I think you all are in such a panic and are looking at this is the wrong way. take a chill pill and start working on those builds and rotations.

And last think since i am a warlock myself i dont want to see any idiot warlock use anything other than soulburn buff in a party especially now that SB warlock got a buff.

5 minutes ago, TheNineTailedFox said:

Why are they releasing the DPS meter? Well it's simple, to see who's working hard and who isn't.

More Like who spending Hard ingame for Gear... and spending Hard IRL for System... Gear, Ping, and Dps Class = best Dps Combo ez life ez Game ...

Ping in Bns is very important and anyone who got the luck to have good ping or payed hard for it... will have a free in on this... i dont call this working hard xD

dps metter all the way. I dont understand why anyone would be against it. For me at least makes no sense. I want to improve. ami doing a correct rotation fo spells? can i do better? can I change something?

I

n all of these threads so far nearly everyone in favor of the DPS meter says they want it to improve themselves, and everyone against it claim the problem lies in the public display of the meter.

I dont need a dps metter to tell if you are garbage at your class or with crap stats. I can see that without it..

By all accounts a dps meter should be a good tool used to gauge ones damage output/performance.

However as we all know, what it will ACTUALLY be used for is as a means to denigrate those whom don't quite live up to whatever imaginary " L33T Pro Level benchmark" this games already toxic community establishes.

About the only half amusing/useful aspect of this from a community standpoint, will be the fallout after certain credit card hard heroes with a considerable amount of AP are out dpsed by "lesser noobs" with lower AP.

No more hiding behind the AP crutch Swipers.

9 minutes ago, Mortal Kombat said:

By all accounts a dps meter should be a good tool used to gauge ones damage output/performance.

However as we all know, what it will ACTUALLY be used for is as a means to denigrate those whom don't quite live up to whatever imaginary " L33T Pro Level benchmark" this games already toxic community establishes.

About the only half amusing/useful aspect of this from a community standpoint, will be the fallout after certain credit card hard heroes with a considerable amount of AP are out dpsed by "lesser noobs" with lower AP.

Sounds good but will never happen...

Because a Whale who buy himself max Gear will not hold back on a Strong inet conection and system and probably send 1000rage msges to ncsoft for better ping *wink wink*

Also to be honest... anyone who cant do a Dps Combo in Bns is kinda weird... since there isnt much to it... any kid could do... once u know the combo its ez...

1.2.3.1.2.3 or should i say... LMB RMB F repeat...?... out of foucs use focus burst atk and repeat 1.2.3.1.2.3 etc... jeez as if this so hard... so nope....

i doubt those whales get beaten by a noob with lower gear and bad ping

19 minutes ago, StellaNoxFleuret said:

More Like who spending Hard ingame for Gear... and spending Hard IRL for System... Gear, Ping, and Dps Class = best Dps Combo ez life ez Game ...

Ping in Bns is very important and anyone who got the luck to have good ping or payed hard for it... will have a free in on this... i dont call this working hard xD

I'm not talking about having the "Best" DPS of the team. My FM for example, has 370 AP and gets the aggro from a boss while there are people with 600+ AP in the same team. There are KFM's with 700+ AP, letting my weaker KFM tank (even when I'm not using threat). Even when playing with someone with the exact same AP and exact same class, I always have to tank the boss. I've been testing this with my SF.

Is is because I'm doing too much DPS? Or is it because others don't do DPS at all? The DPS meter tells it. That's kinda what I'm talking about.

Then those ppl trying out a tank build at this moment and dont bother i do that often too ... or they have extrem bad ping ... esay explantation but ofc if u want to hear from me ow... wow u so much better then them ... sure claps (=

I belive u that... coz i did a fight with a BD who had 10% more crit rate and 79 AP more then me and i out dps him with my dps build so ya it can happen and depends on alot factors

but no need to brag about it....its a teamplay game after all

I'm not bragging about anything, I'm simply explaining: This has nothing to do with P2W.

For example (This is not real):

A Destroyer with 550 AP.

Awesome: 800k damage per minute.

Good: 600k damage per minute.

Not bad/Average: 400k damage per minute.

Could do better.. the player could be lagging though: 250k damage per minute.

Bad: 150k damage per minute.

Very bad: 80k damage per minute.

Leecher: 0 damage per minute.

11 minutes ago, TheNineTailedFox said:

I'm not bragging about anything, I'm simply explaining: This has nothing to do with P2W.

For example (This is not real):

A Destroyer with 550 AP.

Awesome: 800k damage per minute.

Good: 600k damage per minute.

Not bad/Average: 400k damage per minute.

Could do better.. the player could be lagging though: 250k damage per minute.

Bad: 150k damage per minute.

Very bad: 80k damage per minute.

Leecher: 0 damage per minute.

Ya it will be nice to have yet another tool to remind us there's no way to get rid of scumbag leechers.

10 minutes ago, Mortal Kombat said:

Ok i had enough of people talking out of their ass making assumptions and alarming everyone like the apocalypse is coming. some im going to explain why dps meter is a good thing and it wont be the replacement for AP elitists.

Lets start with why there are ap elitists and why it will probably never go away.there are 2 reasons.

1. is the fact that Ap elitists think that having players with higher AP will balance the fact that some players suck at rotations and dps. This is true since i have myself done parties where the average ap was more than enough to do the dungeon but failed to kill the boss before the enrage timer ran out. probably tanks were not used to evading and dps all the time or some players just stopped dps and went far away to heal. On this point i can agree with elitists(well to a certain point. u dont need 600 for *cricket*ing yeti.). sometimes u don't want to deal with the bullshit of people who don't bother to look for class guides to better themselves and just invite strong idiots so even if they suck u are still assured you will finish the dungeon on first run.

2. Are the speed-runners who want to speed-run  dungeon several times to get better rewards. nothing much to say here.

Now to why DPS whores wont be the replacement to AP elitists.there are also 2 reasons for this.

1.This game has serious ping problems and everyone knows that.  you may have 600 ap but a 500 ap guy with lower ping will out dps you in a heartbeat. Since only the top 3 dps are shown i don't think anyone will know who is the bottom. that will just be there for you to learn were u stand and were to get better.

2. blade and soul dungeons will get progressively harder and each class has to play its role. i think the community has a general idea of what each class role is. fm will most likely be the top dps. tanks will probably be at the bottom since they have to aggro and defend. So jugging a player by dps is the most stupid thing to do and i think anyone who makes a team looking for dps should be avoided since this shows they don't know jack shit about their class duty in the party. Those that will require dps in the chat will be avoided like the plague if the dungeon they want to clear is a high difficulty one.

Basically AP will forever be the requirement while dps meter might help alleviate that even if slightly. People who are complaining about other people casting away their role for doing just a bit more dps will be the first to do this. Stop panicking dps wont change a thing. most likely it will help players to decide on what is the best choice for helping the team. you don't need to be top dps as long as u do your job in a team. I know players would prefer a player with lower AP if they know their rotations and buff/protect their team but since you cant measure a players skill they just go for the safe bet with the player with more AP. If players want to brag about bigger dps just let them. Sometimes its fun to enter a dick measuring contest of who does more dps. besides we already have that where we fight on who pulls aggro from the boss. Expect new builds and rotations to come out after the update goes live

T.L.D.R: DPS meter good for new player for rotation. AP elitism will be forever. DPS will never be the requirement for dungeons.

As long as DPS depends more on lags, ping other technical stuff than on skill or skill rotas it's a VERY stupid idea to implement a DPS meter.

In the last couple of weeks everything concerning server performance seemed to become worse and worse. Two days ago during the masts dungeon I even had the effect that I could see a boss standing in the middle of the room but I could not attack it. Other players were hitting something invisible far away from the center so I went there and hit into empty air... and *tataaa* the boss seemed to be there and I was able to attack. BUT.... what would a DPS meter say? Leecher? Did no DMG while standing in the center of the room?

NC should finally fix all those annoying bugs and not implement useless tools.

7 minutes ago, Cohen said:

As long as DPS depends more on lags, ping other technical stuff than on skill or skill rotas it's a VERY stupid idea to implement a DPS meter.

In the last couple of weeks everything concerning server performance seemed to become worse and worse. Two days ago during the masts dungeon I even had the effect that I could see a boss standing in the middle of the room but I could not attack it. Other players were hitting something invisible far away from the center so I went there and hit into empty air... and *tataaa* the boss seemed to be there and I was able to attack. BUT.... what would a DPS meter say? Leecher? Did no DMG while standing in the center of the room?

NC should finally fix all those annoying bugs and not implement useless tools.

I dont understand where your problem is with the dps meter when lag and other problems with the game are to blame. check my previous post on why dps wont be the new dungeon requirement.

Archived