why add a dps meter?

LaraKelly

http://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/game/desolate-tomb/

I been from another game which does have a score card and everyone just going insanely competing with each other, no one really cares to help much, even putting themselves in severe danger just to gain that extra dps, and in soma extreme  cases rather like the other dps to die so they can gain more dps.  

In BnS we have things like destroyers who can carry the boss and makes it easier for everyone to hit it further, warlock giving buff, cat from summoner reviving  where everyone helps out at then just dps, and these helps may actually reduce one's personal dps and help increase other player dps. and this is just a small sample of what can be done, there so many skills that help that group.  It been great and fun, it's teamwork to get it all done.

Now adding a dps meter, would all this make this change? everyone be obeses in proving they are the better dps that Destroyers won't care to help carry the boss anymore, warlock may not give buff anymore since it helps other dps, summoner's won't care to use their cat to revive since everyone be more focus on trying to out dps each other?  and what about join attacks would player help each other anymore? and will anyone be interested in helping the group anymore since helping the group may reduce your own dps and increase other player dps.

I just feel that this may not really be a great addition since BnS has so much way we can help each other, and having this dps meter may just ruin all this.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I don't see the need for DPS meter;However, a couple weeks or probably month back, a lot of people were asking for it (even on twitch during the live streaming). So they asked, NC delivered. Maybe the folks who wanted the DPS meter can enlighten you and me.

I personally want damage meters, although not required. It's just really useful information when used correctly. You guys are talking about a lot of situations where it is used wrongly. They are only activated in raids, which is where it should be. Each boss design has an enrage timers where damage meter can be used as a tool to help see your own dps as well as your members (Please note static groups will use this advantage more than pugging, where pugs will often use it incorrectly). I'm always down for dps/healing/threat meters for raids. Damage meter is nothing new to the genre of MMO's and have been around since as long as it can be. 

I do see how it could pose a problem but that's the community we live in so you guys have options to do good or join the rest of the crowd that will do dumb stuff just to maximize dps. I personally have a static group/guild so I have 0 issues with damage meters being released, we will use it correctly and not put down anyone or not grab as much or etc. It's a good tool.

1 hour ago, YamiKokennin said:

Personally, I don't see the need for DPS meter;However, a couple weeks or probably month back, a lot of people were asking for it (even on twitch during the live streaming). So they asked, NC delivered. Maybe the folks who wanted the DPS meter can enlighten you and me.

Yep a few weeks back around 20% Of the people on the DPS Meter threads wanted them.  80% of us said the community was already toxic enough without putting in DPS Meters.  I am a Warlock and in all PUG groups I will no longer be using Soulburn.  If we are to be DPS driven then I will ONLY use skills that ouput DPS.  I also know quite a few others who will not be using their party skills so I see this DPS update as being extremely detrimental to the game.

So to all the DPS Meter lovers please don't scream when you are getting no party buffs etc because you did get your DPS Meter and now we are all ruled by it.

I could care less if there are players who will not use this tool to blame others for having low DPS. All I want is to know how much am I contributing to the party. Party buffs are still important; it's not like you should sacrifice all of them for DPS or you should be selfish so you can have higher DPS than the others. Heck, even those with high AP but have low crit still give ****ty damage lol.

36 minutes ago, Cherish said:

I am a Warlock and in all PUG groups I will no longer be using Soulburn.  If we are to be DPS driven then I will ONLY use skills that ouput DPS.  I also know quite a few others who will not be using their party skills 

I was wondering the same thing.

I have petal grp skill and heal party, as well as entangle, daze and 50% reduced speed defuffs for boss/adds but I took those in sacrifice for more dps...so I might have to respec if ppl spaz out about dps

35 minutes ago, xxxAoi said:

I could care less if there are players who will not use this tool to blame others for having low DPS. All I want is to know how much am I contributing to the party. Party buffs are still important; it's not like you should sacrifice all of them for DPS or you should be selfish so you can have higher DPS than the others. Heck, even those with high AP but have low crit still give ****ty damage lol.

Yeah.  I view as something I will use to improve.  That is all.  The elitist find reasons to exclude:  AP, Achievements, etc. etc.  This will be added to their tool kit I'm sure.  But generally, I don't think it will be a huge impact to the more down to earth players.

I'm looking forward to it.

I quit WoW when I got kicked for having too low DPS.  I opted for more utility talents because it fit how I wanted to play my class, but damage is the only thing that mattered I guess.  It took away any freedom of choice of play-style and focused solely on maximizing damage.  Being able to change talents anywhere freely in this game eliminates a lot of that, and I have threat most of the times in PUG's, so I am sure my damage is OK for now.  I only see a use for it for personal reasons to improve your own DPS or try different options.

Every old bns player knows where classes stand in the dps scale and I dont think they will make any fuss if someone is doing less dmg than others with or without dps meter. It was recently added to KR just to clarify what everyone were suspecting (the dps rank of all classes). So if someone refuses to use blue buff or soulburn or w/e other party buff there is in sake of doing more dmg is plain retarded and such people should be reported and kicked from parties (those buffs benefit you aswell if you didnt know :D). That dps meter was added so you can test out different builds and see how they compare in terms of dps and usefulness but im sure the people know know their class well enough, should know how much dps each build does.

Im running on My Blade Dancer %50 % Block 50%Eva and50% Crit... yes... in exchange for 10% crit rate i could have 60%+ i guess.

I rather have incrediable suriviablity and good dmg same time then being a mindless Glass canon that dies when one *cricket*ing lag happends..... with 150~300 ms i will never go full glass canon for nobodys sake gtfo.... also if u have 50% eva and block mixed u like a demi god... never will drop that ... it even work vs naksun BW and all that bosses... it incrediable op ... full glass canon is stupid... it makes more sense to go endless draw stance auto block anything and ani cancle without waisting time on manuel blocking ... ( also it would throw me out of draw anyway = dps lose anyway... so it makes more sense to me have all 50% + rather then 60% crit but no survive

While I'm in favor, whole-heartedly for DPS meters, I'm interested in comparing myself to others and bettering myself, I'm seriously puzzled by the idea that ppl would completely ignore supporting the party once the DPS meter comes.

like the earlier poster commented that they'ed stop using soulburn. While Soulburn doesn't do much for me as a Rumblebee's summoner, though is AWESOME in the rare times I use Sunflower, WTF!?  why would the fact that the DPS meter is there would suddenly stop you from buffing your party when you'd do it before? why does a simple meter stop you from caring about your party, I'd WANT my parties performance to be at their best.

Ok, I admit that I haven't played many games with DPS meters, Tera, Lunia, and maybe Vindictus if the post battle screen counts.

but in those three games, I've NEVER encountered any toxic behavior. Lunia was my first experience with DPS meters and even there ppl complained that it would bring out the worst in ppl, but I never saw it, ever, maybe i didn't play the game enough, or maybe I was lucky enough to always group up with ppl that didn't care or used it properly, but do ppl seriously become so selfishly focused on doing the most DPS, even if it hurts the party or cause a wipe, simply because of a meter that displays their performance?

If so, that just baffles me.

I for one, will still fully support my party as a summoner to the best of my ability with cc, heals, cat cpr and tier 3 petal storm chi recovery invulnerability.

Well, thank god my clan are always in Vent cause I'm shutting off my party, region, channel and white chat once this comes out. There is no way in hell I'm gonna deal with elitist.. I know my DPS isn't the best on my sum, I run a modified junghado build which is primarily CC based and it does great for my play style.

Once I can finally Unlock Hongmoon Phantom Grap and combine it with KR upcoming skills and my Infinity tribute soul badge ,,, u can give Partys 50% crit rate buff so they should have 100% crit rate then for 8 x 2 sec if warlock buff after that and sin i can grap again 2 times so it will be like 32 sec cirt 100% ... BD op supporter when u have that combo and item and skills ... have fun nuke the boss i will be a allrounder doing best i can to survive and do best dmg output possible on my team ... nver forget BnS is a team Game... u cant go hero mode and solo bosses... ( beside weak old once maybe if u op geared) coz enrage timers zzzz

DPS Meter is just a tool.

Think of a surgery knife. You can use it to save people, but you can also use it to stab people. Up to you how to use it.

However, remember that MMORPGs like this game prefer teamwork over solo achievement. You can make a fuss about DPS of some of your party members, and have fun being kicked and blocked from parties later, if you happen to join the group with people who you belittle previously.

And trying to blame Des/BD has low DPS would make you pretty much a laughing stock.

5 minutes ago, Alysha Hawkeye said:

DPS Meter is just a tool.

Think of a surgery knife. You can use it to save people, but you can also use it to stab people. Up to you how to use it.

However, remember that MMORPGs like this game prefer teamwork over solo achievement. You can make a fuss about DPS of some of your party members, and have fun being kicked and blocked from parties later, if you happen to join the group with people who you belittle previously.

And trying to blame Des/BD has low DPS would make you pretty much a laughing stock.

With toxic ass community, the DPS tool is going to be used to stab people. Low levels or those that prefer different builds are going to be at the forefront of the dps attack. Before the only way to know who was doing mass DPS was who the boss was stuck on..

I have played games before with DPS Meters and in every instance they made for WORSE gameplay.  I played WoW for 5 mins, I got to lvl 17 entered the lowbie dungeon and got the crappers roared out of me cos I was a waste of space.   The rest of the lowbies in the dungeon were alts of high lvls with all super duper gear.  I finished the dungeon and logged out and have never logged back in.

Other games Ive played they have turned a toxic community into a lynch mob.  You think its bad now with ap requirements wait until we have ap reqs AND DPS output.  Its easy to say all gamers know that support classes wont do the same damage but when it comes to that DPS they don't care.  They don't see that those support skills helped them keep their DPS up there they just see the support players as leeches.

I dont see a problem with a dps meter

If your going to sacrifice your party buffs for higher personal dps, that's your choice.... a bad choice, but your to make regardless.

I am going to use the dps meter to compare my rotations.

If you have average dps or what people consider "normal" I see no reason someone would call you out. 

I honestly dont think destroyers/bd/kfm or the other "known" classes are going to be called out, its the higher dps classes that will have to prove their worth. 

Why do people matter when all you have to do is to focus on your gears, damage, etc.? It sounded like you guys are dealing with pugs a lot that you're scared they might kick you out of the party. We never know who will have the lowest DPS regardless of the class until we do the runs. And guess what? By the time they start abusing you, the dungeon is done and everyone else left the party. If the run failed and you're not willing to stay and cooperate more then move on and look for another party. Simple.

Archived