Forums

More Evidence of Winning Design Being Copied

Emma Frost

Tell me if I'm wrong about the source material, but someone posted this on Twitter earlier following th costume contest results and this photo from a 2010 gaming application looks awfully similar to the Lyn outfit. Even the hair is identical. 

So far in the other thread, we identified the jin version's dress to have similar elements to the rage of bahamut dress, the Lyn mask to be identical to marth's mask from fire emblem, the gon pose to be 100% traced from the gon deva pose, the gon hair to be an exact trace of another anime character, and the gon dress to resemble that of another previous drawing. Now I found that the female Lyn dress looks almost identical to this one 

30wpoqa.jpg

14l2dyo.jpg

Credit for this find goes to Shunj

141t9nl.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an instance where the artwork could have been heavily referenced. The silhouette is the same for the dress and the hair is the same, but nothing was traced. Long pig tails with bows are not uncommon and maid dress silhouettes are not uncommon either. So artistically there is not much problem here.

This just gives another example of how the judges picked the most unoriginal design as the winner.

by that standard, they basically copied a irl "dress". ~.~ Alice in wonderland was the inspired theme for their design tho. Literally said so in the design.

why are people still nit picking on this? if u look hard enough, you can find fault in almost everything.

Wow this is getting sad do you people have nothing better to do but to criticize someone's work and then say oh they are plagiarizing.  From game to game I have seen the exact same styles of costume especially in these anime games.  And this whole Alice plagiarism deal well the outfit is called Wonderland is it not.  See this is why everything gets censored in the states is because of people like this.  You automatically assume that its plagiarism and go through and create an elaborate story to say how it is plagiarism.  Why can't you people just leave things alone and play the game as is.  I have played several MMOs and this is by far the most sour community I have ever seen which is why this game is failing not because of NCSoft.  If you don't like it then play elsewhere I enjoy this game and its nice to see the creativity in the costumes.  Until anyone from the proposed plagiarism comes to NCSoft and says "Hey this copyright infringement" shut up and leave it alone.  It is not your job to do the job of the NCSoft legal department so just leave matters that honestly don't concern you alone.  This game is great but this community is slowly destroying it.

8 minutes ago, Athena84 said:

Wow this is getting sad do you people have nothing better to do but to criticize someone's work and then say oh they are plagiarizing.  From game to game I have seen the exact same styles of costume especially in these anime games.  And this whole Alice plagiarism deal well the outfit is called Wonderland is it not.  See this is why everything gets censored in the states is because of people like this.  You automatically assume that its plagiarism and go through and create an elaborate story to say how it is plagiarism.  Why can't you people just leave things alone and play the game as is.  I have played several MMOs and this is by far the most sour community I have ever seen which is why this game is failing not because of NCSoft.  If you don't like it then play elsewhere I enjoy this game and its nice to see the creativity in the costumes.  Until anyone from the proposed plagiarism comes to NCSoft and says "Hey this copyright infringement" shut up and leave it alone.  It is not your job to do the job of the NCSoft legal department so just leave matters that honestly don't concern you alone.  This game is great but this community is slowly destroying it.

If people want to complain, they have the right. Just like you have the right to complain about people who complain. If you believe that people shouldn't be complaining, then you have absolutely no right to be complaining about them right now. If you're sick of seeing these threads, then the simple solution is to not read them anymore.

And no, this isn't why everything gets censored. This has nothing to do with censorship at all.

Ok Emma now i cant take you seriusly, the previus topic was pretty well done research, but this? this dont even look the same, it just have the same style because Alice dress has been like that since Disney >_>, and since then has been similar styles in all the games.

17 minutes ago, Athena84 said:

Woahhhh breathe, dear. lol

I agree that this instance is not necessary to call out. Wonderland theme is wonderland theme. There will be plenty of things directly inspired by AiW artwork.
But the other issues (as posted in the original thread) about direct tracing needed to be brought to attention though. Unless someone stumbles across another example of where the artist directly traced and used another artist's work, we can leave this be and let the staff figure out what to do next.

To everyone else,
I'm still upset too. We all have a legitimate reason to be. But the things that we found got the attention of the NCsoft staff. So we have been heard and it is in their hands now.
If you find another example of direct tracing/stealing, go ahead and share it. Otherwise please give it a rest.

I don't need anyone who has already made it clear that they are biased and will support the winning outfit no matter what to take me seriously. 

You can say whatever you want to satisfy your wonderland fetishes and get the costume in the game, but this was already brought up before me by people on twitter. This is an even closer resemblance to the source material than the Jim dress from rage of bahamut. The stockings are the same, the hair and bows the same, and the silhouette and skirt are the same. You're basically telling people they can get away with imitating outfits as long as the pose and art style is different. 

37 minutes ago, Kurokazu said:

To everyone else,
I'm still upset too. We all have a legitimate reason to be. But the things that we found got the attention of the NCsoft staff. So we have been heard and it is in their hands now.
If you find another example of direct tracing/stealing, go ahead and share it. Otherwise please give it a rest.

No sure if I should point this out..http://imgur.com/1eldR91  

Just now, Brand X said:

So took bits and pieces from all over to create their own.  Kinda like doing a school report :o

Yeah like one of those kids, doing an inproper report, by using wikipedia as a base. a bit from here and a bit from there. It's ok the teacher won't notice!

This situation has been noted in NC and they are discussing about it. Not sure why people are still trying to find ALL the possible outfits that look similar to this one. Plus the picture Emma was showing as reference, ok hair looks similar but outfit has way too much differences to be taken from this one.

25 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Yeah like one of those kids, doing an inproper report, by using wikipedia as a base. a bit from here and a bit from there. It's ok the teacher won't notice!

No.  You don't take all directly from Wiki.  :p

Where do they get info for their essay/report?  A bit from reading there.  A bit from reading here.  A bit from ready that.  A bit of this.  How do you think they do it?  They get the info and put it together in their own way.

6 minutes ago, Brand X said:

Where do they get info for their essay/report?  A bit from reading there.  A bit from reading here.  A bit from ready that.  A bit of this.  How do you think they do it?  They get the info and put it together in their own way.

They still can't just take the information. They have to cite their sources. I don't know about you, but when I had to do a research paper, if I didn't cite my sources, it was considered plagiarism and an automatic zero.

4 minutes ago, Brand X said:

Except in this case it's a copy paste report (tracing). 

9 minutes ago, Lunakitty said:

This situation has been noted in NC and they are discussing about it. Not sure why people are still trying to find ALL the possible outfits that look similar to this one. Plus the picture Emma was showing as reference, ok hair looks similar but outfit has way too much differences to be taken from this one.

Because it's digging the hole a LOT deeper for the "artist." xD

We've long since encroached on the "this is not okay" territory, and now to see it in more of the male designs? Good heavens, what didn't the "artist" get their "inspiration" from?

(that said, yeah, OP's stuff is a huge stretch, but the one ShunJ linked is another direct trace.)

31 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

Except in this case it's a copy paste report (tracing). 

Except it's not from one source.  They took one piece from that piece.  One piece from that piece.  One piece from that piece.  They put 20 different pieces took one piece from them and then put them into an outfit.

At this point, the only thing on my mind is.

Who's going to cry more based on a decision, those who find it legit or those who want it DQ'd?

I'm going to harvest the tears of whoever loses but right now I'm just wondering who will have the bigger outcry, atm looks like those who want it DQ'd though.

Archived